test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

On these new (horrid) forums, is there any way to put someone on ignore?

bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
With the glut of new threads being posted by one single person simply because they do not agree with the subject mater of a different thread, this would be a nice way to limit the amount of trolling I have to sift through.
signature.png
We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!

Best Answer

Answers

• rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    Thanks eiledon! I'll check that out. More choice = more freedom! :)
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    looks like there is no function in vanilla software but there are a couple plugins for the vanilla forums that have been made, pluse like eiledon said, if you want to use the user made 3rd party stuff
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Yeah, the plugin is your only hope outside of doing what many have already done and just abandoning this forum all together.

Don't bother reporting posts though, like the game itself.. this forum is completely unmoderated. In all aspects of STO it's a total unregulated free for all.​​
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    It isn't completely unmoderated. I think there may be a problem with the flag queue not being visible to mods (not sure if still true and hope if it is that it will be fixed VERY soon), but I know that on vBulletin, with the old ARC ticketing system, reported items were acted on sometimes.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • cirran1cirran1 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    This ignore function, will it allow me to NOT see a certain troll snowflake group's posts? If this is the case, is there a limit to the number of folks I can ignore?

Cirran
  • eiledoneiledon Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    I don't think there is a limit. Basically a block button appears between flag and quote at bottom of a post - if you want to block a user just click that and any posts from those users are collapsed when you view a thread (with only a small bar left should you wish to view any particular post. If you decide to unblock someone, simply find a post of theirs, expand it and click unblock. On the discussions page, if a thread is started by a blocked user the name section will be blank, similarly if last post is by a blocked user that section will be black allowing you to decide to ignore checking that thread at all should you wish

I am working seperately/playing about with a filter for discussions that would let you hide specific types of posts based on rules (e.g don't show threads you have commented in which dont have new comments etc. It could be I could tie this in with Asterelles additions and allow the user to filter out any threads begun by a blocked user or where the last comment is by a blocked user - somethign to add to the to do list ;D
    ​​
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    eiledon wrote: »
    I don't think there is a limit. Basically a block button appears between flag and quote at bottom of a post - if you want to block a user just click that and any posts from those users are collapsed when you view a thread (with only a small bar left should you wish to view any particular post. If you decide to unblock someone, simply find a post of theirs, expand it and click unblock. On the discussions page, if a thread is started by a blocked user the name section will be blank, similarly if last post is by a blocked user that section will be black allowing you to decide to ignore checking that thread at all should you wish

I am working seperately/playing about with a filter for discussions that would let you hide specific types of posts based on rules (e.g don't show threads you have commented in which dont have new comments etc. It could be I could tie this in with Asterelles additions and allow the user to filter out any threads begun by a blocked user or where the last comment is by a blocked user - somethign to add to the to do list ;D
    ...or just give us class in threadlist and in quote so we can style them away :)
    ​​
  • eiledoneiledon Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    well there is a class in the thread list (if you use the add in) ;D so you can style them out now if you want but you would still need asterelles plug in to get the class added via the block list

with the plug in added it would be something like $("tr.ItemDiscussion:has(td.BlockColumn.BlockColumn-User)").hide(); to hide all discussions who have a child element with that class. I am not sure if in plain CSS you can style a parent based on it's children - will need to look into that​​
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Im sorry to say but it looks like there is nobody MODERATING the forums Objectively...Its so full of insults/biased and name calling that has been become a turn off for any logical human being...NOT cool :#
    Post edited by storules on
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • xtern1tyxtern1ty Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    bloodyriz wrote: »
    With the glut of new threads being posted by one single person simply because they do not agree with the subject mater of a different thread, this would be a nice way to limit the amount of trolling I have to sift through.

Forum ignore would be awesome, however it doesn't solve the problem of troller's posts in the first place. I'd support an option for OP's to remove posts they don't want in their threads or block people they don't want from posting on their thread to begin with.​​
  • blueweakblueweak Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    eiledon wrote: »
    Not using built in functions but if you check out Asterelle's Forum Enhancement Add-in Linked in my signature it has a block user function along with all sorts of other features to make using the forum much more pleasant. ​​
    Dear STO/PWE/ARC Community,

This user's signature deserves more attention.

Sincerely,

Glutes
    Diplomatic Authority
    Starfleet Dental/Academy
  • stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    xtern1ty wrote: »
    Forum ignore would be awesome, however it doesn't solve the problem of troller's posts in the first place. I'd support an option for OP's to remove posts they don't want in their threads or block people they don't want from posting on their thread to begin with.​​

I don't see an "OP Approved list of buddies" being the solution.

Yeah, bad idea. Too many people would abuse something like that and it would only lead to less actual dialogue. Not to mention greatly increased opportunities for trolling.

I understand that Vanilla does support some form of ignore feature? So maybe they'll be able to turn something on at some point.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    Maybe the "flag" button does work, and people are just flagging posts because they don't like the content of them, or they have a completely different interpretation of what "trolling" means.

ProTip: Just because somebody disagrees with you doesn't make them a troll.

Unless Trendy or someone from the PWE forum staff openly chimes in and says the Flag functionality does not work, I'd consider the possibility people just don't know how it works and think they can use it as a personal censor to filter people who don't agree with them.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    One of the moderators for a different game said they weren't able to see flagged posts. No idea what the current status is.
  • xtern1tyxtern1ty Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    stobg2015 wrote: »
    Forum ignore would be awesome, however it doesn't solve the problem of troller's posts in the first place. I'd support an option for OP's to remove posts they don't want in their threads or block people they don't want from posting on their thread to begin with.

Yeah, bad idea. Too many people would abuse something like that and it would only lead to less actual dialogue. Not to mention greatly increased opportunities for trolling.

I understand that Vanilla does support some form of ignore feature? So maybe they'll be able to turn something on at some point.

Thankfully if you are a theme user, they did write block ability for OP's into it - thanks @asterelle for including that.

Combined with flagging, they are among the most useful features for dealing with malicious posters on the forums. It works like forum ignore, once a user is blocked, you don't see their messages anywhere else. You can also turn the feature off or remove or add a user anytime you want to.

I got the block feature activated on my group threads and it works great, I don't see anything the trolls say. Now we can safely chat with friends and members in my fleet thread without trolls derailing it. Still though, the block feature is only at the theme level. It is no substitute to upholding the rules and editing their posts out. If that doesn't happen, they'll continue​​ to troll with derailing posts and if the thread gets closed, they'll just follow to the next one like they've been doing. I for one support strict upholding of the rules.

Hope they get the flag issue fixed so mods can see flagged posts again.

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    Forum ignore would be awesome, however it doesn't solve the problem of troller's posts in the first place. I'd support an option for OP's to remove posts they don't want in their threads or block people they don't want from posting on their thread to begin with.

Thankfully if you are a theme user, they did write block ability for OP's into it - thanks @asterelle for including that.

Combined with flagging, they are among the most useful features for dealing with malicious posters on the forums. It works like forum ignore, once a user is blocked, you don't see their messages anywhere else. You can also turn the feature off or remove or add a user anytime you want to.

I got the block feature activated on my group threads and it works great, I don't see anything the trolls say. Now we can safely chat with friends and members in my fleet thread without trolls derailing it. Still though, the block feature is only at the theme level. It is no substitute to upholding the rules and editing their posts out. If that doesn't happen, they'll continue​​ to post and if the thread gets closed, they'll just follow to the next one like they've been doing.

Hope they get the flag issue fixed so mods can see flagged posts again.

Well, that explains a lot. LOL :D
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • abystander0abystander0 Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    I've always been a fan of using that old fashioned Mk 1 Human Dignity to ignore things I don't like. It's also called Self Control, and it's the foundation of self respect!

No one on an Internet forum can make you become upset, it's a choice we all make for ourselves!

Yes. This.

I find is sad that people who claim the right of freedom of speech and/or play a game about a supposedly utopian future are the first to try and silence those who disagree with them. When you use an ignore function you effectively remove that person from all discussions, which I think is pretty shameful. You can just scroll past the posts you don't like. If a post requires action from a moderator for objectionable content, it can be flagged, or you can do it the old fashioned way and file a ticket with customer support. Silencing people that you disagree with, to me at least, is antithetical to what Star Trek is about...

Blowing up Feds. >:)
    edited July 2015
    I've always been a fan of using that old fashioned Mk 1 Human Dignity to ignore things I don't like. It's also called Self Control, and it's the foundation of self respect!

No one on an Internet forum can make you become upset, it's a choice we all make for ourselves!

Yes. This.

I find is sad that people who claim the right of freedom of speech and/or play a game about a supposedly utopian future are the first to try and silence those who disagree with them. When you use an ignore function you effectively remove that person from all discussions, which I think is pretty shameful. You can just scroll past the posts you don't like. If a post requires action from a moderator for objectionable content, it can be flagged, or you can do it the old fashioned way and file a ticket with customer support. Silencing people that you disagree with, to me at least, is antithetical to what Star Trek is about...

An ignore feature isn't entirely about silencing people you disagree with, though I agree it could be used that way to censor on an individual level. (Everybody else is still seeing the posts.)

There have been posters who delight in pushing other people's buttons and being generally annoying. There have also been certain combinations of individuals who just can't seem to get along and rub each other the wrong way because their personalities clash. As a former moderator, I've seen a lot of both.

Having the ability to ignore someone in those cases accomplishes a couple of things.

1. Removing the temptation to 'feed the troll'
    2. Removing the temptation to 'shoot, fire, aim' and continue nasty arguments with angry replies.

This keeps people out of trouble and keeps things from escalating.

I agree Self Control is better. More than once I've gotten good information/discussion from someone that I don't normally agree with and if I'd been ignoring those people I would have missed out.

But I see nothing wrong with choosing to ignore someone who's consistently abrasive. People should be free to do that, too.

Edit: Also nothing wrong with going back and editing your own posts if you think people will take something the wrong way. :)
    Post edited by stobg2015 on
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    im likely to be on everyones ignore list. but thats what you would call a silly feature, im opposed to. not because of what i do and i enjoy it (i dont actually care what others want off me neither do i enjoy it) but there could be some special details missed in some threads from people who have been thrown on an ignore list and so you loose any chance to understand if someone has an appropriate answer. the whole ignore feature is frankly a childish idea and ive never seen the point in it.

if someone cant take being on the roast being slowly turned, then they should not of put themselves in that position, their mistake, i dont see how ignoring anyone else for making a valid point would be considered appropriate in the slightest.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • abystander0abystander0 Member Posts: 648 Arc User

Yes. This.

An ignore feature isn't entirely about silencing people you disagree with, though I agree it could be used that way to censor on an individual level. (Everybody else is still seeing the posts.)

There have been posters who delight in pushing other people's buttons and being generally annoying. There have also been certain combinations of individuals who just can't seem to get along and rub each other the wrong way because their personalities clash. As a former moderator, I've seen a lot of both.

Having the ability to ignore someone in those cases accomplishes a couple of things.

1. Removing the temptation to 'feed the troll'
    2. Removing the temptation to 'shoot, fire, aim' and continue nasty arguments with angry replies.

This keeps people out of trouble and keeps things from escalating.

I agree Self Control is better. More than once I've gotten good information/discussion from someone that I don't normally agree with and if I'd been ignoring those people I would have missed out.

But I see nothing wrong with choosing to ignore someone who's consistently abrasive. People should be free to do that, too.

Edit: Also nothing wrong with going back and editing your own posts if you think people will take something the wrong way. :)

An ignore function is the wrong way to go in my opinion. Even in you have such a function, the person who did the silencing will still see the replies to the person in question, and be tempted more often than not to continue pouring fuel on the fire. It doesn't fix anything (This is seen in chat quite often). Self control and being able to take a step back and a deep breath before replying is a much better way to deal with posts that make you angry.

I use the preview function quite often and go back to see if what I wrote:

A.) Makes sense.
    B.) Properly conveys my point of view
    C.) Doesn't come across as denigrating or inflammatory

Sometimes I miss things, and am saved by the edit post function.

There are more important functions that are missing than a forum ignore button.

The new emotes are terrible, and can anyone tell me how to change the text color within my post to highlight it? The old forums had a menu for that, give me that please. I am still trying to get used to this new forum, and am quite annoyed with it.
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    OK, alot of people seem to think I asked this to ignore content I did not like. That I could care less about. I asked this question simply to be able to load the forum and not see 20-30 threads all polls with no point that were made by one person. However that issue is now past, and I still do not have the extension mentioned earlier working.

Thick skin, I got that.

Desire to search thread titles to avoid pointless polls, no that I do not have.
    signature.png
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    OK, alot of people seem to think I asked this to ignore content I did not like. That I could care less about. I asked this question simply to be able to load the forum and not see 20-30 threads all polls with no point that were made by one person. However that issue is now past, and I still do not have the extension mentioned earlier working.

Thick skin, I got that.

8E5AQfs.png​​
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    I have nothing against threads containing polls. My issue was when one person created about 20-30 polls poking fun at a poll someone else did for an event their fleet was running. It was forum spam, and I did not wish to dig through it all. This thread has served it's purpose, please mods, close it down.
    signature.png
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited July 2015

Thick skin, I got that.

I apologize if that's how it came across. I wasn't trying to accuse you (or anybody in particular) of using the ignore feature like a personal sword to filter people out, just that I have seen people throw the word 'troll' around extremely loosely to the point I think a good portion of the STO forum populace does not know what trolling actually is, or they fall back to accusing others of being a troll because they have nothing else to throw at them.

Something similar to "The accusation is the evidence."

In some cases, yes, there are annoying people who I really do believe just come to the STO forums to rile people up.

But, as bluegeek put it, self-control is the biggest shield you have against trolls.

Lqnenyl.jpg

The polls are a bit silly sometimes, and while I do like them, I do understand wanting to filter them out if you want a discussion with a little more depth than "Yes" "No" "I don't know."
    ExtxpTp.jpg