test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Should CatStar be in STO?

catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
edited July 2015 in Ten Forward
Should CatStar be an NPC in the STO storyline; would you like to have him join your toons during a fight or negotiation...maybe even an extra in some parts? Wearing his "Star Trek Generation; holodeck ceremonial Captains uniform"

WHo is CatStar--> http://adventure-cat.deviantart.com/gallery/49734929/CatStar

Should CatStar be in STO? 74 votes

Yes
16%
themetalstickmancheesebasketmjarbarreyan01artan42alexmakepeaceeldarion79thunderfoot#5163lonnehartcmdrscarletotisnoblealannaboraz 12 votes
No
83%
primar13captaintroikaapedilbertrooster707sfc#5932mirrorchaoscaptainoblivousjodarkriderguljarolgulberatjonsillssmeeinn1tmonkeybone13jaymclaughlincidjacknabreekifringecutleryrepetitiveepicmarcusdkanetuskin67 62 votes

Comments

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    No
    No. Because.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Yes
    I have a mouse problem. ​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
    Yes
    Yes, the more Caits and Ferasens the better!
    hZbIdbh.jpg
    THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    No
    No.
    I mean, wtf? Fanwank MarySue much?
    I need a beer.

• iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    No
    No. I prefer you in STO as a player, not an NPC.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    No
    CatStar already is in STO when you play as him, and in your gaming experience, he's the star of the show. Same for all of us when we play our toons. I feel very strongly about my characters but I would not, however, ask for my toons to be given that kind of preferential status over the others.

However, you could consider the Foundry, where you could have missions featuring CatStar as an NPC for others to interact with.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    No
    Two reasons
    NbNlmEf.gif
    ​​
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    No
    No hard feelings, but I'd prefer players not being given preferential treatment over others.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    No
    So whats this?

We are all just gonna create a thread with a poll voting on weather we should be in STO?
  • lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    Yes
    Next thing we know, an "official" contest shows up where the winners become NPCs in the game. Mind you they'll just stand around doing nothing or promoting the game's Transaction Store (can't really call them microtransactions when the ships cost near $40, can we). And the winners MAY be forced to rename/reinvent their characters as the "NPC"s are now property of whoever owns STO and could be used in promotions and such.

Just my two pieces of latinum (made using iron pyrite instead of gold)... ;)
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    Yes
    Given that we are already in the game. I would say why not.
  • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    Yes
    Well... CatStar exists in a universe of his own, because he's a cartoon. He's supposed to be funny through being silly and riffing off of known characters, so he wouldn't really fit the tone of the much more serious STO...

Unless we went meta! Imagine a one-off FE where you meet the crew of the Kittyprize copycatting Picard and his crew in a mock-up Galaxy class, trying to save the day like the Enterprise did. Thing is, they're not real Starfleet, so the player has to do the heavy lifting for them, all the while maintaining the illusion that the Kittyprize crew are the real heroes. Could be a fun, light, tension-easing intermediate episode between the end of the dramatic Iconian arc and the beginning of whatever conflict is coming next.

So yes! Do it! I summon the foundry authors to make it happen!
  • catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    Hmm, let me rephrase the question because some of u got upset....for those who have read my CatStar fictions or are familiar with this toons RP, would u find it entertaining to see him appear in a mission for this game as an NPC?

Im an artist, and CatStar is my favored creation, im curious to see who would consider it entertaining to have him make a cameo appearance.

Alex: CatStar is a drama/action based character. Though he uses a dry wit in some situations, hes more of a space opera hero, not a lolcat. Its why i worked for nearly a year to get CBS to endorse my book, I wanted him to become canon. In the end they changed their minds and the book is now a free fanfic on Deviant Art since it lost its licence to be sold. We needed a notable Caitian in the Trek universe, M'ress was just a temporary stand in like Pulaski.

• alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    Yes
    Oh yeah, I'm thinking of "Caitian Picard." I stand by my idea, though. Not that I expect anything to actually come of it.
    No
    I still think that the Foundry is a much better route, and that the devs should not favor someone's player character over all others, to be "canonized." I have VERY detailed stories that I feel very passionately about, but the most I would ever do would be to potentially create a Foundry mission with those characters. I would not ask for them to be exalted above everybody else's creations as far as the game is concerned.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    edited July 2015
    No
    catstarsto wrote: »
    (...)Its why i worked for nearly a year to get CBS to endorse my book, I wanted him to become canon. In the end they changed their minds and the book is now a free fanfic on Deviant Art since it lost its licence to be sold. We needed a notable Caitian in the Trek universe, M'ress was just a temporary stand in like Pulaski.

I do understand the ideal value this would have had for you and probably the opportunities to earn some money, but even if your stories had been licensed they still wouldn't be canon (none of the licensed works are). I think the only thing that would have happened would be a lot of licensing fees...
    ​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    angrytarg wrote: »
    (...)Its why i worked for nearly a year to get CBS to endorse my book, I wanted him to become canon. In the end they changed their minds and the book is now a free fanfic on Deviant Art since it lost its licence to be sold. We needed a notable Caitian in the Trek universe, M'ress was just a temporary stand in like Pulaski.

I do understand the ideal value this would have had for you and probably the opportunities to earn some money, but even if your stories had been licensed they still wouldn't be canon (none of the licensed works are). I think the only thing that would have happened would be a lot of licensing fees...
    ​​

You see thats just it, it never was about the money. Ive spent lots of money before just for the privilege to entertain people, it never really took off, much like people like picaso and van gogh...they had a very small following while they where alive, while any artists hope is to make a good living off of their art, its getting to see people enjoy it and ask for more that inspires them. 50 years ago, if you made funny faces on tv people would tune in every week....stuff like Cat Trek and Detective Comicals would have been a success during that generation. Now it seems, unless your able to add in busty bikini clad characters, doing things id rather not say, while engaging in constant fighting and anger filled personalities (wrestling/reality tv/shooter games/mature themed stuff) no ones satisfied.

I missed the generation i could relate with... =U.U=
    Mic.png
    No
    You see thats just it, it never was about the money. Ive spent lots of money before just for the privilege to entertain people, it never really took off, much like people like picaso and van gogh...they had a very small following while they where alive, while any artists hope is to make a good living off of their art, its getting to see people enjoy it and ask for more that inspires them. 50 years ago, if you made funny faces on tv people would tune in every week....stuff like Cat Trek and Detective Comicals would have been a success during that generation. Now it seems, unless your able to add in busty bikini clad characters, doing things id rather not say, while engaging in constant fighting and anger filled personalities (wrestling/reality tv/shooter games/mature themed stuff) no ones satisfied.

In that case you should be glad your work didn't get licensed. I think the most important factor about art is independence and freedom. Getting into business with CBS/Paramount is the complete opposite, I am certain about that.
    ​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    edited July 2015
    No
    angrytarg wrote: »

In that case you should be glad your work didn't get licensed. I think the most important factor about art is independence and freedom. Getting into business with CBS/Paramount is the complete opposite, I am certain about that.
    ​​

Exactly why I am not pursuing that route with my writing. I've seen PocketBooks' specifications many years ago, and I've seen what they are doing now, trying to build up a universe on par with Star Wars Legends, and I do not want those kinds of constraints.

I would also point out that just because you deal with heavy themes in your writing doesn't mean there can't be a core of values behind it. Without getting into details, I can say that even though there is violence and not all of my characters watch their language, there is most definitely a central ethic that underlies what I write, and I take my obligation seriously in that regard. The funny thing about it is that this means my writing doesn't always sit easy with everybody: for some people it shows how the world is in too unvarnished a manner (such as my not censoring bad language when I know a character would curse--even though I take care not to overuse it, there are occasions where I have a story employ the "Precision F Strike"), but other people do not care for the core principles in it and would rather have things that are grimdark with only antiheroes at best and there aren't any really good, principled people, and that is also something I cannot compromise on to satisfy that constituency.

• zaichalzaichal Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    No
    No.

Why should some random person's character take priority over other people's characters, just because the person behind the character tried to make his creation a part of Star Trek canon?

The name also sticks out awkwardly. A caitian named CatStar is like naming a romulan SpaceElfStar or a human HomoSapianStar.

Mackenzie Calhoun, a character from the Star Trek: New Frontier novels is an NPC in the game. That's fine. Peter David, the author, has wrote lots of stuff for various other companies too. It's his career.

It's not the same as whatever this is, which seems to be a thinly veiled attempt to advertise some fanfic series.
    No
    zaichal wrote: »
    No.

Why should some random person's character take priority over other people's characters, just because the person behind the character tried to make his creation a part of Star Trek canon?

The name also sticks out awkwardly. A caitian named CatStar is like naming a romulan SpaceElfStar or a human HomoSapianStar.

Mackenzie Calhoun, a character from the Star Trek: New Frontier novels is an NPC in the game. That's fine. Peter David, the author, has wrote lots of stuff for various other companies too. It's his career.

It's not the same as whatever this is, which seems to be a thinly veiled attempt to advertise some fanfic series.

Mackenzie Calhoun is actually an example of what shouldn't have been published in the first place or been in the game, if you've ever read the New Frontier books. He's a thinly-disguised comic book character/Gary Stu, and in my personal opinion Peter David was not held to tight enough editorial control.

Now, I don't know CatStar the way I do the character of Calhoun, nor do I know how the OP would integrate him into the universe if given the opportunity to do so by the powers that be. So I can't make a fully informed comparison there even though I find the general principle problematic.

But what happened with Calhoun does show the trouble that can happen when one author for a property starts to get preferential treatment.

• zaichalzaichal Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    No
    gulberat wrote: »

But what happened with Calhoun does show the trouble that can happen when one author for a property starts to get preferential treatment.

That's a good point. I gave up on that series after a few books, because it became too much of a Marty-Stu and friends saga.
    You're absolutely right and it is just another reason for me to firmly vote no.

In this case, I get the feeling that CatStarSTO believes he's more famous/important than he actually is, hence the self-serving poll. With that in mind, giving him an opportunity to advertise his creation via being made an NPC in Star Trek Online is probably not for the best.
  • scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    No
    Should CatStar be an NPC in the STO storyline; would you like to have him join your toons during a fight or negotiation...maybe even an extra in some parts? Wearing his "Star Trek Generation; holodeck ceremonial Captains uniform"

WHo is CatStar--> http://adventure-cat.deviantart.com/gallery/49734929/CatStar

nerds.gif?w=650

take it easy...no need to strangle me lol
    andre-giant-choke.gif
    not sure i get where the anger comes form on it, was just a simple poll. im not saying im self intitled, nor am i trying to be as forceful as stan lee with his characters....was just a poll, not even a request to have him in the game. =O.o=

• cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Yes
    I think *some* posts above just don't "get it".
    edited July 2015
    No
    zaichal wrote: »
    gulberat wrote: »

That's a good point. I gave up on that series after a few books, because it became too much of a Marty-Stu and friends saga.
    You're absolutely right and it is just another reason for me to firmly vote no.

In this case, I get the feeling that CatStarSTO believes he's more famous/important than he actually is, hence the self-serving poll. With that in mind, giving him an opportunity to advertise his creation via being made an NPC in Star Trek Online is probably not for the best.

I won't speak to CatStar's personal motives...I don't feel that's appropriate for me to do. And there's certainly no anger from me, as he seems to fear.

Rather, if he does want to advertise his creation, I think the Foundry is perfectly fair game for him as long as there are no products promoted for financial gain (which I figure would be a EULA problem anyway). I certainly wouldn't rule out playing a Foundry mission of his, as I think that's the appropriate place for it.

• xarynn2058xarynn2058 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    No
    Nope. I'd go as far as to ask why you think your character is so significant as to warrant becoming an officially sanctioned npc? I see no valid justification.
    S1J6m8B.jpg
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    No
    I think *some* posts above just don't "get it".

You've already voted :P
    I need a beer.

• spacegoatcx#8996 spacegoatcx Member Posts: 175 Arc User
    No
    This game has enough self-important, yet entirely meaningless, furries infesting it on every level of in-game society as is.
    FvMLllF.jpg