test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Imagine

Imagine

Imagine a game with a scale that actually felt like you were travelling the Universe rather than a small pond.
Imagine a game where, through gating, your actions affected the Universe, for example actually seeing the building of New Romulus as you went through the Reputation and the damage caused after completing the episode Blood Of The Ancients.
Imagine a game where all planets had day and night cycles relative to their amount of suns.
Imagine a game where your rank reflected the tasks you were assigned.
Imagine a game where an ensign wasn't so readily assigned the tasks of a captain.
Imagine a game where your profession mattered more than a few different interacts.
Imagine a game where tac' captains couldn't get in any ship and out do other captains at their own job.
Imagine a game where you could actually do some decent exploring.
Imagine a game where fleshy T-rexes weren't more resistant to damage than metal exo-suits.
Imagine a game without the idiotic idea of T-rexes with lasers beams, explained by the use of animals in modern warfare, not that I've ever seen someone storm Syria on the back of an elephant wielding a Browning.
Imagine a game where the Borg amongst other enemies where as threatening and dangerous as we saw in the show.
Imagine a game where the Crystalline Entity, which was killed simply by a tune required less people to destroy than a Borg Cube.
Imagine a game where the battles were as tactical as the shows as opposed to run and gun, where the enemies weren't simply damage sponges but actually required some tactics to defeating.
Imagine a game that actually had enough staff to deal with the issues they have.
Imagine a game where we actually had in game GMs to fix issues at hand.
Imagine a game with an actual quality control that would flag up and fix issues before they hit the Holodeck.
Imagine a game where they actually paid attention to those listing issues on Tribble and actually fixing them before they hit the Holodeck.
Imagine a game where you didn't have to play the same part over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Imagine a game that hadn't turned into a simple BUFU (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEs5tnbynG0) operation.

Imagine...
IrwinSig-1.jpg

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

Comments

• Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Imagine a thread title that actually told people what you made the thread about.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Yeah, what that one said ^.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    "Imagine all the people, Living life in peace" *singing*

Sounds like you guys would prefer a "Star Trek Simulator".
    Cool ideas though. But that would be a TRIBBLE ton of programming.

"People may say you're a Dreamer"
    :smiley:
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    irwin109irwin109 Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    Sounds like you guys would prefer a "Star Trek Simulator".

Pretty much! Something that actually carried the heart of what Star Trek is all about rather than all out pew pew.
    Imagine a game where you can login and play the part of a Romulan from his troubled beginning to an Admiral of the fleet.
    Do you mean Admiral, or a captain with a different title and a fleet of which you can only command one ship at a time?
    Imagine a game where you can login and play the part of a Federation Cadet thrust into a major conflict situation and a war and where your incredible leadership is recognised and rewarded in record time
    If that's your opinion on what happens in the Federation storyline then I can't really say anything otherwise, but I can't imagine how Starfleet could even function if they are that short on captains that you instantly get command of a ship instead of having to still go through the whole training. And considering how much you dislike the JJ films even though they are in an ALTERNATE UNIVERSE it seems pretty much ripped from what happens to Kirk on that and even he gets bumped back down.
    Imagine a game where you can fly your favourite Iconic ships from all the shows and films (not counting JJ)
    The same ships that until the most recent releases were horribly outclassed by most ships out there?
    Imagine a game where you can visit and explore:

Earth Space Dock
    Starfleet Academy
    Vulcan
    Andoria
    Risa
    First City
    Dewa III (New Romulus)
    Deep Space 9
    Bajor
    Defera
    Deep Space K7
    Gateway
    Wolf 359
    Nukara

and thousands of other places via missions and foundry

And yet every time you visit nothing changes, even my town gets a new shop every now and then!
    Imagine a game where you actually get to explore the inside of not one but two Dyson Spheres
    I hardly class that as exploring two megastructures that completely encompasses a star, we have barely seen any of them.
    Imagine a game where you can fight Species 8472 in fluidic space
    Oh good more pew pew against dull enemies.
    Imagine a game where you are a vital protagonist in preventing another Dominion War
    Yet have to hear Kurland say his own name 15 times in the process.
    Imagine a game where you come face to face with the Iconians
    Ah yes, the wonderfully enigmatic enemies finally destroyed by a reveal rather than remaining puppet masters in the shadows...
    Imagine a game that continues the Star Trek lore from after the days of Voyager right up to 2410 without altering the timeline too much (unlike JJ)
    Yet includes book lore, which you yourself do not count as lore and once again the JJverse is an ALTERNATE UNIVERSE that's like saying anything that happens in the Mirror Universe acutally happens in the prime universe or alters it, it doesn't
    Imagine a game where you can explore the interiors in great detail of the Defiant, Kirk's Enterprise, USS Voyager, and own and explore bridges from Galor, the Scimitar, the Ferengi ships, and a whole load of alien ships even the Undine bio ship.
    Yet you never see any of your d'offs doing any tasks you've assigned them.
    Imagine a game that lets you become the story writer, game designer, environmental artist and programmer and then publish that game into the Star Trek Online universe for thousands of like minded fans to play and enjoy
    With an incredibly limited, buggy and tempermental Foundry System that is STILL in Beta.
    Imagine a game with a flourishing economy that lets you play as a trader to build up vast wealth
    If you know how to play the market and have the resources to put in in the first place.
    Imagine a game where every single ingame asset, every single store item, everything in fact can be obtained just by playing the game and without a single penny being spent.
    Taking roughly 88 days to get a ship and another 46 days to upgrade it, by which point the ship and the stuff on it will be old news.
    Imagine a game where not everything can be bought instantly by the super rich, even the whales cannot buy reputation gear unless they play the game
    But most other things can easily be bought by the whales.
    Imagine a game with an almost infinite variety of build types, set synergies, and subtle hidden ways of squeezing out the best performance from those who want to study.
    Yet the further up the performance chain you go the more similar the builds become.
    Imagine a game where you can play as a complete noob and still finish all the content without help if you prefer to go it alone
    That could be argued, I've known plenty of people give up on missions due to it bugging out or the instructions not being clear enough for them, or them having to ask other people for help to complete.
    Imagine a game with a brilliant fleet support structure allowing you to learn from the experts and improve your gaming skills to become a top DPSer or a top PvPer or an instructor for newer fleet mates.
    I hate the DPS race so I'm not even going into that.
    Imagine a game where you can fly over the mountains of Risa in a Jetpack, or play Dabo in Quark's bar, or discover Iconian gateways, travel into Tuvok's mind, and save the Kobali (amongst many others) from destruction
    Apart from Risa or Quarks you've listed things that I feel have pulled this game down in my estimations.
    Imagine a game where you get to play alongside Tom Paris, Neelix, Tuvok, Harry Kim, The Doctor, Nog, Tasha Yar (and Sela) and Worf with more to come.
    I could do without Paris, Neelix, Tuvok and Kim.
    Imagine a game that isn't afraid to mess around with temporal causality (maybe?)
    Something that is rarely done right in sci-fi, let alone sci-fi games.
    Imagine a game that's not so difficult that your average player won't be discouraged but can be increased in difficulty to make it tough even for a veteren, now imagine that has to be done in an MMO.
    Again arguable.
    Imagine a game where the borg are just as tough as in the shows (have you tried Hive Onslaught Elite?) and be pleased that in most cases they are not
    39 ships destroyed, 11,000 killed or assimilated against a single cube yet it takes a swarm of cubes, two uni's and the Queen on the hardest setting before it becomes a challenge?!
    Imagine a game where even though you're an Admiral you're not sat behind a desk shuffling papers but out there in the thick of it and making a difference
    Which realistically wouldn't happen, so the top rank should be captain, or you should have control over multiple ships as an admiral.
    Imagine a game that releases regular content updates, regular starship updates
    Little of which is checked and usually ends in one problem or another.
    Imagine a game that has regular sales and regular bonus events
    Yet rarely the events the players ask for.
    Imagine a game that gives away a top tier starship twice a year
    I must have missed those events, because all the free ships I've been given are mediocre in comparison to their counterparts.
    Now imagine, dear reader, that all the above and many more, because I really could go on all day, imagine that this game is FREE.
    But someone has to pay for it in order to keep it running, if there were no paying members the game would not exist.
    Yes the game has issues, Delta Rising was not it's finest hour and the governance of the last EP was almost disastrous, but the team as it is being led now has and is making huge improvements and I would once more recommend this game.
    I must be playing a different version of STO because the one I'm playing has been getting worse ever since a Dyson Sphere showed up with Dinosaurs with laser beams on their heads occupying it.
    IrwinSig-1.jpg

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan
  • Options
    hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    Imagine a forum where people didn't make asinine threads...
  • Options
    spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    Imagine a forum where people didn't make asinine threads...

giphy.gif

tumblr_n1hmq4Xl7S1rzu2xzo2_400.gif
  • Options
    svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    I was trying to highlight the good points
    Around here that is considered trolling. :p
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    Imagine if you....played a different game all together.

Problem solved.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    kavase wrote: »
    Imagine if you....played a different game all together.

Problem solved.

Not if he's just imagining it.​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    Great! Now I have John Lennon in my head...

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble