test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

lag/rubberbanding still an issue

the updates barely helped alot, power lag is still persistent, can we please get some updates on this ?

Comments

• midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    It would help if you provided more information about the lag problems you are having to help the devs and engineering team track down the problems.
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 930 Arc User
    Well, I know for me, between my ISP to STO servers, there are 3 gateways that are out of commission. Experience the rubber banding while playing AR. That something that Cryptic has no control over. Until those 3rd parties fix those issues, the lagging or dropouts will continue.
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    The runs in teams I did noticed especialy bad lag in KASA. ISA is a bit better and CSA probably the smoothest.

When 5 players after a smooth CSA run gather to do ISA and complain about lag its highly likely that this is still heavily on game side, their server infrastructure or access.

It’s getting ridiculous because over a dozen peeps in my fleet were so annoyed past Sunday that they went offline.

The most annoying lag result seems to be missfire. You know you launch a grav well, get full CD on it but hey.. no grav well?! When getting to a point that half the FAW & CSV attacks don’t happen during a single run and that team-wide peeps begin to loose their patience and go away.

I don’t blame them.

Cryptic said they would tend to it. Fine, but when do we see the results?
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    It would help if you provided more information about the lag problems you are having to help the devs and engineering team track down the problems.

Please see this tracert from a few nights ago: http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/12616331/#Comment_12616331

This has been a pretty consistent finding for the past week or more. EDIT: Just added another tracert from tonight to that thread.

Tonight, however, was particularly bad. I was being thrown all around in the Foundry today, to the point where some of the battles were nearly unplayable--and they were nowhere near the scale of some of the largest battles in the official missions. Huge lag on movement AND on clicking my powers.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • ovrkylovrkyl Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Where should I start?

Posting tracerts and pings won't help honestly, because many times (while Cogent and Comcast are no angels...and they aren't always the network I am pathed through, usually after your "network upgrades") they come up clean. All pings less than 180, most less than 100. If it was just network then why, while I'm running a clean tracert, is it still counting minutes into SERVER NOT RESPONDING?

The most common effects are:
    • repeated SERVER NOT RESPONDING with little gaps in-between
    • SERVER NOT RESPONDING for up to several minutes, then the "Keystone Cops" routine (which, if in combat, usually results in defeat as AI commands are received by the game but mine were not)
    • SERVER NOT RESPONDING for any length of time, then sudden Disconnected from Server (this usually results in Login2_Timeout, after lag during character listing and/or loading with the pretty purple space background)
    • stuttering and/or rubberbanding during combat, especially during space combat
    • delay well over 1 second in UI response, sometimes resulting in burning of cooldowns without actual abilities being triggered or abilities being triggered far too late to justify them being used at all

This usually occurs when:
    • zoning (especially any kind of "hubs")
    • timed events (i.e. Risa horga'hn hunt, Risa powerboard race)
    • space combat
    • any combat where there are either a large number of combatants (and I'm not even talking STFs, as I don't do STFs) or a lot of effects going off, both in space and on ground
    • logging in
    • logging out
    • travelling in sector space
    • Delta Quadrant (especially where the "sparkly skyboxes" are)
    • Solanae Dyson Sphere
    • Feature Episodes (especially Blood of Ancients, House petaQ, and Broken Circle)
    ...which pretty much sums up most of the game.

And the effects get worse and more frequent every time there is new content added to the game. If you're asking about graphics issues due to some of the graphics-oriented faults above, I still had problems in space combat during Broken Circle even with turning my graphics all the way down. (I've done the troubleshooting gig before.)

Oh, and while I'm typing all this, I'm currently in the middle of Broken Circle, the first section of space combat. Why am I typing this during a mission? Because I SNR'd then DC'd zoning from the Krenim Research Lab into space, Login2_Timeout on first attempt to log back in, then SNR'd during the first wave of space combat, watching nothing happen 'til the Keystone Cops arrive, and chasing an immortal EMP Probe through the sky...then SNR'd again. It gets just a little frustrating...

EDITS:

Mission update: 2 of the 3 ships couldn't be rescued while proceeding to the gateway as I couldn't get to them in time, due to lag and rubberbanding. Barely saved the 3rd. Good thing the AIs in this mission are a little more helpful than the I.K.S. Gagh in House petaQ. (Yes, I despise the vumpu' lo'laHbe'.)
    Post edited by ovrkyl on
    This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • viox2kviox2k Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    they just dont get green light for new servers, my opinion
  • belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    gulberat wrote: »

Please see this tracert from a few nights ago: http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/12616331/#Comment_12616331

This has been a pretty consistent finding for the past week or more. EDIT: Just added another tracert from tonight to that thread.

Tonight, however, was particularly bad. I was being thrown all around in the Foundry today, to the point where some of the battles were nearly unplayable--and they were nowhere near the scale of some of the largest battles in the official missions. Huge lag on movement AND on clicking my powers.

ovrkyl wrote: »
    Where should I start?

<snip> ...

That's all well and good, it's great that you guys can provide detailed information for your issues, but you guys aren't the OP, your symptoms and causes could be completely different to his/hers, the OP was asked to clarify his/her issues so that we could trouble shoot it.

Just because you have one set of symptoms that you call lag doesn't mean it's the same as what the OP calls lag, there are many types of lag and if people won't clarify exactly what is happening to them, when it's happening to them, and does not follow basic trouble shooting like ping traces etc. then it's impossible to help them.

It's great that you can provide this information for yourself, but it doesn't really help the OP because he/she could be suffering from something completely different to you, until he/she clarifies we can't be sure.

Edit: you can actually see how different peoples issues can be in the two quotes above, they both have similar symptoms yet one is showing network issues just before the servers and the other isn't. They are two different issues but if they were like the Op and just said "it's lag fix it" we wouldn't know that, that's why when you're being helped you get asked to do things like ping traces and DXDiags etc, you need them to rule out a cause as much as prove a cause.
  • nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    I have to chime in here as well. I noticed this was worse, for me at least, in sector space last night. The rubber banding while travelling was beginning to make ME motion sick, let alone the crew!

Also I've noticed a distinct UI lag while in the Delta quadrant missions.

For example:

I have "fire all beams weapons" bound to a side key on my keyboard (M1), and "Fire all torpedo's" to the key below it (M2).

In Beta Quadrant missions like Japori or Careya I can hit M2 and assuming the torps arent on cooldown they fire fine. Now if I do the same in a Delta Quadrant mission, such as Argala, I can be hitting the key until my finger bleeds but they refuse to fire reliably. However when I click on the UI button for "fire torpedo's" they then fire!

Its a tad frustrating when a torp spread can clear your path only to find you've sailed past the targets because you've been stabbing away at the keyboard lol :D

server_hamster6.png
    belidos wrote: »

Where should I start?

<snip> ...

That's all well and good, it's great that you guys can provide detailed information for your issues, but you guys aren't the OP, your symptoms and causes could be completely different to his/hers, the OP was asked to clarify his/her issues so that we could trouble shoot it.

Just because you have one set of symptoms that you call lag doesn't mean it's the same as what the OP calls lag, there are many types of lag and if people won't clarify exactly what is happening to them, when it's happening to them, and does not follow basic trouble shooting like ping traces etc. then it's impossible to help them.

It's great that you can provide this information for yourself, but it doesn't really help the OP because he/she could be suffering from something completely different to you, until he/she clarifies we can't be sure.

Edit: you can actually see how different peoples issues can be in the two quotes above, they both have similar symptoms yet one is showing network issues just before the servers and the other isn't. They are two different issues but if they were like the Op and just said "it's lag fix it" we wouldn't know that, that's why when you're being helped you get asked to do things like ping traces and DXDiags etc, you need them to rule out a cause as much as prove a cause.
    I'm fairly confident that the Cryptic powers-that-be would rather us not fill up these pretty new forums (especially this "general discussion" forum) with a large number of redundant but poster-specific threads, when the complaints are essentially the same even if the details might be different.

And, in a troubleshooting sense, the fact that we face similar end results with differing network traces could be an identifying factor on its own.

So rather than be the self-appointed forum police and, in a sense, try to squelch all but the OP's complaints (thereby making yourself appear as a dreaded "white knight"), how about let midnite or ask or trendy or smirk or whoever lends their attention to this thread ask the questions that need asking to actually help.
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    KSA and SBFD are the PvE instances where the lag is most obvious. Also look in Ker'rat space war as well.

Your ship frequently rubberbands even when not in combat. Across many instances there is skill activation lag. I often find myself frantically clicking on a skill many time before it decides to work. In the aforementioned instanes, I have often wasted an entire 30 seconds cooldown on torp spread while I click "fire torpedoes" repeatedly because it is doing nothing. Boff powers also often simply go on cooldown when clicked without actually activating at all.

In the European morning hours it is not so bad, presumably because the server pop is at its lowest.
    EnYn9p9.jpg

Where should I start?

<snip> ...

i can post tracert's all u want, it wont help, this is clearly a server side issue. There are enough tracerts out there, mine wont change anything. The Lag/Rubberband is always the same like ppl explained it already. There is not really a differtnece if u look up close.

Devs said they work on it and they updated several powers to decrease lag, but it didnt really help so i may ask the devs if they really know what they do... They reworked some of the skills wich have high performance usage... but the lag and rubberbanding effect (wich is showed in youtube videos) is still there everytime u do something in this game.
    edited July 2015

And, in a troubleshooting sense, the fact that we face similar end results with differing network traces could be an identifying factor on its own.

That was exactly my point.

I'm just saying let the guy give more details otherwise he can't be helped. It's like pulling into a garage and saying my engine keeps cutting out, it's the same as the other guy that came in here who's engine was cutting out. Then it turning out the first guys problem was a blocked carb and the second guys problem was he'd run out of petrol.

I wasn't saying don't post your stuff in here at all, I was just saying we need the OP to give a little more clarification to help us help him specifically.
    viox2k wrote: »

i can post tracert's all u want, it wont help, this is clearly a server side issue. There are enough tracerts out there, mine wont change anything. The Lag/Rubberband is always the same like ppl explained it already. There is not really a differtnece if u look up close.

That's a very poor attitude. If you won't give the details of your problem and won't carry out the basic trouble shooting tips then there's almost zero chance it will be fixed for you. We've already had two people with the same symptoms but completely different causes, if one of them had refused to give details and just said "it's the same as him" and then they issued a fix for the second guy, then the first guy would still be complaining because it's not fixed and it would be his own fault.

As I said in the quote, things like trace routes aren't done so they can prove it's your fault, they're just as much to prove that it's not your fault, a trace route with no issues is just as important to them as a trace route with issues and vice versa. By not carrying out the simplest of tasks you are shooting yourself in the foot, it's no wonder things don't get fixed when people won't even do the simplest thing to help them work out where the issue is.
    Devs said they work on it and they updated several powers to decrease lag, but it didnt really help so i may ask the devs if they really know what they do... They reworked some of the skills wich have high performance usage... but the lag and rubberbanding effect (wich is showed in youtube videos) is still there everytime u do something in this game.

The thing is, it did help quite a few people, which by default means the issue you and others experiencing lag still have is a different issue, they now have to look into why the rest of you are experiencing it and they need more information to do that, they can't just click their fingers and fix it they need data to trace where the problem is. It's not going to be an instant fix, it will be a long process with lots of small fixes and tweaks.
  • october7nightoctober7night Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I have been seen a fair amount of lag my self lately. The space and sector lag while annoying I can handle however the ground combat mission lag is horrible. Every time I run into a ground mission I quit and play some thing else I really like this game but the lag is starting to make me not want to play.
    Among all the complaints in all the forum categories, old and new, with or without pings and tracerts, whether it be high DPSers running Ferraris in STFs or casual RPers running Mini-Coops in ESD chat, whether it's noon or midnight in X, Y, or Z timezone, whether they're Eastern US or Pacific US or Australia or Europe, whether it's during WW or Risa or Anniversary or post-mega-patch, there is one...ONE...common thread that ties it all together.

The. Game. Server.

Add that many...MANY...of us play other games as well, even other PWE games, and do NOT have the same issues on the same scale as when we play STO, it becomes quite academic what the true problem really is.

Even when, like mattjohnsonva stated above, players are running Teamspeak and there's no issue with it, or you can easily access these very forums and STO's website (Arc, of all things), or have no issues streaming music or surfing the 'net while leisurely travelling through sector space, demonstrating no 'net connectivity or traffic issues at all, STO is a nightmare.

And yet the Blame Game keeps getting played, from PWE, from Cryptic, from those players that are self-appointed Team Cryptic "white knight" forum trolls:
    "It can't possibly be the game server! It's got to be Cogent/Comcast/your ISP of choice/your graphics card/your corrupted download/your computer (just go out and buy a new one!)/YOUR PROBLEM!"
    Gettin' old, peeps...gettin' really old.
    edited July 2015
    That's a very poor attitude. If you won't give the details of your problem and won't carry out the basic trouble shooting tips then there's almost zero chance it will be fixed for you. We've already had two people with the same symptoms but completely different causes, if one of them had refused to give details and just said "it's the same as him" and then they issued a fix for the second guy, then the first guy would still be complaining because it's not fixed and it would be his own fault.

As I said in the quote, things like trace routes aren't done so they can prove it's your fault, they're just as much to prove that it's not your fault, a trace route with no issues is just as important to them as a trace route with issues and vice versa. By not carrying out the simplest of tasks you are shooting yourself in the foot, it's no wonder things don't get fixed when people won't even do the simplest thing to help them work out where the issue is.
    The thing is, it did help quite a few people, which by default means the issue you and others experiencing lag still have is a different issue, they now have to look into why the rest of you are experiencing it and they need more information to do that, they can't just click their fingers and fix it they need data to trace where the problem is. It's not going to be an instant fix, it will be a long process with lots of small fixes and tweaks.

U are wrong, i have played other mmo's where those problems last few hours or lets say 1-2 Weeks (wod launch), then it got fixed. Actually there is not a single one mmo out there wich has such huge problems with lag and rubberbanding FACT. In the case of STO we are counting months right now. If the devs cant handle the lag because they dont know the issue or simply dont get the green light for new servers its not my fault or altitude, its theirs... Its just the same way we look at bugs... they fix one but oh, 3 others appear... they just cant handle it, but ofc its my fault.

If u watched them u always see the timeout on cryptics side, please stop complaining about traceroutes and helping me, help cryptic
    Among all the complaints in all the forum categories, old and new, with or without pings and tracerts, whether it be high DPSers running Ferraris in STFs or casual RPers running Mini-Coops in ESD chat, whether it's noon or midnight in X, Y, or Z timezone, whether they're Eastern US or Pacific US or Australia or Europe, whether it's during WW or Risa or Anniversary or post-mega-patch, there is one...ONE...common thread that ties it all together.

The. Game. Server.

Add that many...MANY...of us play other games as well, even other PWE games, and do NOT have the same issues on the same scale as when we play STO, it becomes quite academic what the true problem really is.

Even when, like mattjohnsonva stated above, players are running Teamspeak and there's no issue with it, or you can easily access these very forums and STO's website (Arc, of all things), or have no issues streaming music or surfing the 'net while leisurely travelling through sector space, demonstrating no 'net connectivity or traffic issues at all, STO is a nightmare.

And yet the Blame Game keeps getting played, from PWE, from Cryptic, from those players that are self-appointed Team Cryptic "white knight" forum trolls:
    "It can't possibly be the game server! It's got to be Cogent/Comcast/your ISP of choice/your graphics card/your corrupted download/your computer (just go out and buy a new one!)/YOUR PROBLEM!"
    Gettin' old, peeps...gettin' really old.

pretty much this
    edited July 2015
    U are wrong, i have played other mmo's where those problems last few hours or lets say 1-2 Weeks (wod launch), then it got fixed. Actually there is not a single one mmo out there wich has such huge problems with lag and rubberbanding

You have either been very lucky or not played many MMO's to be able to say this. I can name off the top of my head at least half a dozen MMO's that have had far far worse problems than this one, one of which had a zone that nobody could enter without disconnecting for almost three years, another of which had so many rubber banding issues (caused by slow drawing scenery) that they had to reduce the speed of mounts to compensate, it never got fixed in 6yrs, another had a so called hub city that couldn't sustain more than fifty people without crashing for the whole lifespan of the game, so please don't try to tell me other games don't have these issues because compared to some we have it easy here.

I'm not saying there aren't issues, I'm not saying the issue isn't with the server (I'm fairly sure there is), I'm saying give them as much info as possible, even the most innocuous piece of data could be the key to finding the cause.

For example the whole traceroute thing; there may be a server hop that is corrupting the data somewhere, it may not show as a timeout or high ping but it may be a problem, if they receive fifty reports of SNR's and all the traceroutes show as gong through the same server hop (remember not everyones path to the server is the same) then they can investigate.

I'm not saying that's the issue, but it's one of the many possibilities and a good reason to be giving as much data as possible.

If that's a dig at me then you are way off, I am not white knighting anyone or anything, especially not cruptic, there are issues, I know there are issues, I'm fairly sure it's TRIBBLE coding on the servers, but for them to find the issue they need as much hard data as they can get, saying "my problems the same as everyone else I don't need to give them my data" is just foolish.
  • tfcivtfciv Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    KSA and SBFD are the PvE instances where the lag is most obvious. Also look in Ker'rat space war as well.

Your ship frequently rubberbands even when not in combat. Across many instances there is skill activation lag. I often find myself frantically clicking on a skill many time before it decides to work. In the aforementioned instanes, I have often wasted an entire 30 seconds cooldown on torp spread while I click "fire torpedoes" repeatedly because it is doing nothing. Boff powers also often simply go on cooldown when clicked without actually activating at all.

In the European morning hours it is not so bad, presumably because the server pop is at its lowest.

The worst part about boff powers going on cooldown without actually activating is that they most likely aren't on cooldown on the server, it's just the client that thinks they are. Recently I was messing around with stuff I (or anyone else) hardly use just for fun. Even though it was a torpedo with a 1 minute cooldown and 15km range (bio-neural), when I fired the torpedo when a net lag spike occured (visible via /netgraph 1) I'd get that 1 minute cooldown with no torpedo launch. After that occured, I could just simply remove the torpedo and put it back on, and the cooldown vanished (wasn't in combat) and I was able to fire it again right away. I also tested this when it actually fired, just to make sure it wasn't a bug. When you remove and equip the torpedo back on after a successful firing, the cooldown stays.

If Cryptic could fix this issue, at least net lag would be a lot more tolerable. Especially with 8 beams and other powers being activated (or failed attempts to activate) all the time.
  • supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    I can go into Japori and run a patrol no lag, jump into a Borg Red Alert straight after, no lag or rubber banding, Jump straight into a ISA and get lag and Rubberbanding spikes, Mission ends travel to Acamar do patrol no lag or rubber banding. Tholian Red Alert pops and immediately Lag and Rubberbanding spikes, Tholians all dead and i decide to just fly around in circles , no lag or rubber banding. Map other than me is now empty.
    So i serious doubt the issue is at our end. It is a badly coded, poor game engine with bargain basement hardware and servers not capable of handling the traffic and use that is required of it.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited July 2015

And I'll go ahead and add a tracert of mine here which is finding the same thing.

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms
    2 8 ms 9 ms 14 ms
    3 8 ms 8 ms 17 ms
    4 16 ms 11 ms 11 ms
    5 37 ms 21 ms 14 ms be-33491-cr01.350ecermak.il.ibone.comcast.net
    6 35 ms 37 ms 35 ms be-10617-cr02.denver.co.ibone.comcast.net
    7 34 ms 34 ms 33 ms ae-12-0-pe01.910fifteenth.co.ibone.comcast.net
    8 34 ms 35 ms 35 ms te0-0-0-0.rcr11.b006467-1.den01.atlas.cogentco.c
    om [154.54.10.33]
    9 34 ms 35 ms 34 ms te0-1-0-3.ccr21.den01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54
    .83.29]
    10 52 ms 52 ms 68 ms be2128.ccr21.mci01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.25
    .174]
    11 36 ms 36 ms 35 ms be2156.ccr41.ord01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.6.
    86]
    12 43 ms 44 ms 46 ms be2351.ccr21.cle04.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.44
    .86]
    13 57 ms 57 ms 56 ms be2009.ccr21.alb02.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.25
    .89]
    14 60 ms 60 ms 59 ms be2299.ccr21.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.43
    .9]
    15 60 ms 60 ms 59 ms te0-0-1-0.rcr11.b002133-1.bos01.atlas.cogentco.c
    om [154.54.46.134]
    16 59 ms 59 ms 59 ms 38.111.40.114
    17 78 ms 67 ms 59 ms 198.49.243.253
    18 * * * Request timed out.
    19 59 ms 59 ms 59 ms patchserverrebirth.crypticstudios.com [208.95.18
    5.41]

This is incidentally why tracerts do help people. Though lag is a broad problem with many different potential inputs the recent problems (which go well beyond sub-optimal power coding) with massive, unplayable lag seem to be due some technical problem on cryptic's end that they should hopefully be able to pin down soon so long as we provide them with real information, not just pithy attitudes.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    edited July 2015
    The runs in teams I did noticed especialy bad lag in KASA. ISA is a bit better and CSA probably the smoothest.

The only consistent pattern I've noticed is temporal, IE. later in the day (US) the game becomes progressively less playable (ie. during peak hours). Sector space, solo missions, underpopulated hubs, once things get bad they get bad. Where you are doesn't seem to matter. You lag out. And to be clear this has only been a problem over the last week or two.

It seems like something pretty basic to running the game online is breaking due to the load.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    Yah, duncan, for the most part your tracert is clean, all less than 180 (which is the threshold they care about). The "Request timed out" part I've had starting to happen myself after a few of their recent "network upgrades", even in parts of the network that shouldn't have been affected...so it might be some form of pathing issue tied to the upgrades. Yet even with these "Request timed out" lines with * * * across them, I've been able to play (albeit with varying degrees of lag) and others I haven't.

The lag/rubberbanding/SNR/DC/Login2_Timeout/etc. doesn't seem to be consistently tied to the high pings on tracerts on any hop(s) on the route. I've had high lag periods where one tracert showed horrendous pings and a tracert moments later (with same amount of lag) showed clean.

I'm of the firm belief that, while the network issues contribute to the problem, they are not the problem.

Here's my tracert just now...and I can't get the launcher to finish loading up to login to save my TRIBBLE$.
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\█████>tracert patchserver.crypticstudios.com

Tracing route to patchserver.crypticstudios.com [208.95.185.41]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 8 ms 2 ms 1 ms ██.█.█.█
    2 * * * Request timed out.
    3 61 ms 10 ms 8 ms xe-2-3-0-sur04.longview.wa.bverton.comcast.net [162.151.125.141]
    4 15 ms 14 ms 13 ms ae-56-0-ar03.troutdale.or.bverton.comcast.net [68.87.222.209]
    5 18 ms 16 ms 16 ms he-0-4-0-4-10-cr02.seattle.wa.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.94.121]
    6 43 ms 40 ms 48 ms be-11721-cr02.denver.co.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.84.205]
    7 40 ms 41 ms 47 ms ae-17-0-pe01.910fifteenth.co.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.84.126]
    8 42 ms 42 ms 41 ms te0-0-1-0.rcr11.b006467-1.den01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.13.5]
    9 41 ms 41 ms 47 ms te0-1-0-3.ccr22.den01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.83.33]
    10 63 ms 66 ms 63 ms be2130.ccr22.mci01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.26.122]
    11 64 ms 65 ms 65 ms be2157.ccr42.ord01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.6.118]
    12 74 ms 72 ms 72 ms be2185.ccr22.cle04.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.43.178]
    13 94 ms 87 ms 86 ms be2189.ccr22.alb02.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.43.185]
    14 97 ms 92 ms 90 ms be2302.ccr22.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.43.13]
    15 92 ms 94 ms 93 ms te0-0-0-0.rcr11.b002133-1.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.46.130]
    16 88 ms 92 ms 87 ms 38.111.40.114
    17 92 ms 102 ms 92 ms 198.49.243.253
    18 * * * Request timed out.
    19 92 ms 89 ms 88 ms xboxpatchserver.crypticstudios.com [208.95.185.41]

Trace complete.
    While I have 2 "* * * Request timed out" lines, this is the same clean path I've had for weeks now (albeit different named patchservers..."patch", "patch2", "rebirth", & "xbox"), with varying degrees of playability (on some occasions quite good playability...as long as no one else is on it seems).

My TS gut's telling me it's not (just) the network. It's not (just) the graphics. It's not (just) the commands. It's not (just) the new content. It is, however, highly attributable to server player load. Too many doing too much at the same location(s) at the same time. STFs, WW and Risa events, FEs, hubs, Delta Quadrant, Red Alerts...it's population that's more of a constant than anything else.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    Number of people in a location or instance is not the only driving factor. I was trying to DOFF and play Foundry missions, and it was unplayable to the point of logging out tonight.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    edited July 2015
    The trace-routes with hops that time out cannot be taken seriously, as some routers simply do not respond by design, and to make it more complicated, some respond when they feel like it thus making some hops have randomly higher latency.

Edit: This typically has no effect on the actual connection to the destination.
    edited July 2015
    tfciv wrote: »
    The trace-routes with hops that time out cannot be taken seriously, as some routers simply do not respond by design, and to make it more complicated, some respond when they feel like it thus making some hops have randomly higher latency.

All recent tracerts seem to be timing out at the same location (stop on by the support forums too). And do focus on the word "recent" since it hasn't been a typical feature of the tracert diagnostic to do this. This correlates to the massive uptick in lag over the past week or so during peak hours. 1+1=2. Its not a absolutely certain, proven beyond all doubt, causal relationship, but that's not a workable standard to apply to any topic that you don't want to shut down just for the pedantic hell of it.

Its safe then to accept what we see in tracert results as a reasonable, workable, guess that something at cryptic isn't working properly and that's having a recognizable affect on the population (though you could have come to that conclusion without a network diagnostic tool.)
    edited July 2015
    All recent tracerts seem to be timing out at the same location (stop on by the support forums too). And do focus on the word "recent" since it hasn't been a typical feature of the tracert diagnostic to do this. This correlates to the massive uptick in lag over the past week or so during peak hours. 1+1=2. Its not a absolutely certain, proven beyond all doubt, causal relationship, but that's not a workable standard to apply to any topic that you don't want to shut down just for the pedantic hell of it.

Its safe then to accept what we see in tracert results as a reasonable, workable, guess that something at cryptic isn't working properly and that's having a recognizable affect on the population (though you could have come to that conclusion without a network diagnostic tool.)

Just to clarify my post, I meant the hop that times out cannot be taken seriously, not the entire tracert. That clarification was my fault in my original post.

But typically if every other hop after that hop performs better and without issue, than it's most likely just a router that doesn't feel like responding. Take me for example, STO never lagged at all, not in the slightest before the anniversary patch, and my tracerts always had a hop that timed out. Now, especially today, with the massive lag spikes, the tracert remains more or less the same as before the lag spikes became a thing.

I agree though that the issue is definitely at Cryptic's end, as today has been mostly unplayable for me during peak hours. I suspect that later on during off-peak hours it'll be mostly lag free (except the occasional lag spike/rubberband here and there.)
    Post edited by tfciv on
  • SanoSano Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    This is still the same lag we have had since before dr. first it got worse then nothing happend for like forever then recently it got a bit better to actually be playable again at certain times until the last patch where it came back with a vengeance.

Since cryptic has a horrible track record for keeping solved problems in the patch version we got back to what it was month ago with the last patch. Now - as always - we can only hope they find all the fixes they originally put in that now where removed last patch by being in another build or whatever and put them back in.

Out of all strange sh*t cryptic does this is actually what makes me think of them as being stupid as f**** the most tbh. They rarely fix stuff but when they do they always find a way to remove the fix at a later time and then take additional weeks to put it back. It would be hillarious if it werent so sad^^
    Post edited by Sano on
    edited July 2015
    tfciv wrote: »
    I suspect that later on during off-peak hours it'll be mostly lag free (except the occasional lag spike/rubberband here and there.)
    And that's a point I can confirm right now. :)
    Sano wrote: »
    This is still the same lag we have had since before dr.

This particular incarnation of lag started either with the 10.5 update or the following patch.

• captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    Welcome to 10.5 with new improved lag.

It was improving for me up untill 10.5, now back to what it was months ago & its still very random. 6 months & still counting Cryptic.

Load or tool tray play up slight lag, load outs & tool tray play up, getting worse, load outs, tool tray, chat & CLR play up, unplayable.
  • kittyflofykittyflofy Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    Sano wrote: »
    This is still the same lag we have had since before dr. first it got worse then nothing happend for like forever then recently it got a bit better to actually be playable again at certain times until the last patch where it came back with a vengeance.

Since cryptic has a horrible track record for keeping solved problems in the patch version we got back to what it was month ago with the last patch. Now - as always - we can only hope they find all the fixes they originally put in that now where removed last patch by being in another build or whatever and put them back in.

Out of all strange sh*t cryptic does this is actually what makes me think of them as being stupid as f**** the most tbh. They rarely fix stuff but when they do they always find a way to remove the fix at a later time and then take additional weeks to put it back. It would be hillarious if it werent so sad^^

The problem is, not only the guys who fix things are non skillez, the problem is, they must have only 2 guys doing everything... as for the lag, well and since they refuse to split their games into several servers , replace cogentco and other things.. this will never improve. Better you guys get used to it. Unless they can do it for free.. we will never see the lag fixed. They do small patches to temporaly smooth things a bit, those minimal patches last for 2 or 3 days and then everything comes back. But this is the way they do things since YEARS ago. Even if i am still amazed of this way of doing things in a videogame company i cant blame em, because at least players in this community demonstrated a real lack of interest of seeing things fixed. So, cryptic will never put efforts on fix things that actually players give a fsdasf about em. People keep being more worried about lack of content, balance and other things LOL!!, they cant understand that those things cant be fixed without fixing bugs and server problems first. So, i see why cryptic is doing everything they doing for a reason. I will do the same, honestly, why i will waste efforts money and time fixing things when i can keep releasing content by time to time, enough to make players happy and thats it?? lol. It is a non brainer decision, actually.