test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Best Ship Weapon Setup

Hey all! First off, if this is in the wrong part of the forum, I apologize and would be fine with someone moving it to the correct section.

I currently have a Sovereign-class ship with 4 fore weapons and 4 aft weapons. I'm trying to figure out what is the best setup for it as far as types of weapons, not necessarily the exact weapons that work best. For example, I have two warhead launchers and two energy weapons in the front and the same in the aft. Is it better to have more energy weapons, or more warhead launchers? If you'd like to know what the specific weapons that I'm using are, I can tell you later tonight (US eastern time zone). Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    Assuming you're a newish player without tons of gear and the inclination to simply buy results:

Generally those cruisers do their best with loads of energy weapons, the problem/challenge is powering them.

Energy weapons require energy, as they fire the amount of weapon power you have drops. First thing set weapon power to max do some fighting levels and keep an eye on your power levels and see how much time its at 125 and how often it is dipping way down - get a basic sense if you've got plenty of weapon power as is, if there is lots try another beam if not look at those engineering boff abilities that the Sovereign has and personal traits your captain has slotted. Emergency power to weapons does what is says and boost energy weapon damage, auxiliary to bat drops aux and boosts shields, engines and weapons, ideal for the sovereign. Select weapon system efficiency from the cruiser commands, now each beam shot uses a bit less energy. Then repeat the 'how does my weapon power look experiment'. Those are the basic things you can do before buying rep system gear, fleet equipment, re-running episodes or buying pricey doffs to collect nice gear.

Those boff abilities have doffs associated with them, match doff to boff and you build tales shape. For example if have a boff with emergency power to weapons, then as an active doffs include damage control engineers that have a % chance of lowering the cooldown time on emergency power to ..... , so now your EPTW is up more often. If your captain has a trait EPS something or other, when you activate any emergency power to abilitiy you get 10 seconds of extra power for all systems. The goal for normal cruiser play is to get one power boosting another that knits with another, that is boosted by something else and so on in a cycle of high power levels creating high damage output.

A few different approaches:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/stobuilds/comments/24pn8o/highly_logical_dragon_and_drake_and_aux2batt/

If you are still adding skill points to your captain invest in those that boost power: starship warp core potential and starship weapon performance.

99% of players start to get some rep gear like the assimilted console which add 5 weapon power, then match that to the borg kinetic for a chance at more power. Other rep system consoles boost power, and bit by bit the ship improves a tweak at a time.

Also on the exchange the R&D crafted console Exotic particle field exciter has a feature that grants weapon power when shield heals are used, so emergency power to shields can give: 10 weapon power through the captain trait and 10 through the console and 20% chance of a lump of power to all systems with the doff( I think warp core engineer). There will also be warp cores that have a simple extra + weapon power or A-W, E-W or S-W that grant bonus free weapon power. Some rep weapons that take reduced or no weapon power when fired with others.

Note free stuff from repeatable missions like the jem haddar and solanae sets, the Solonae is good for keeping the ship alive and ideal as placeholders before rep or fleet gear.
    http://sto.gamepedia.com/Solanae_Hybrid_Technologies

Over time you'll find a preference for either pure beams or a mix of torps and beams, thats when you get the gear that fits you and maybe respec the captain skills to optimize the playing style. So best build is more of a process than a bunch of instructions.

• Options
    risingwolfshadowrisingwolfshadow Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    You could always try a 3 single cannon front and 3 rear turret build with 1 torp front and back. It's very addictive once you see it but requires good piloting skills to stay close. If you do, you'll do more damage, just don't be afraid to stay close to your target.
  • Options
    rarebear1rarebear1 Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    I use on my Operations Odyssey Anti-Proton Beam arrays fore and aft, plus one Omin-direction Anti-proton beam array in a aft slot. I also use Quantum Torpedoes one fore and one aft. Just wish that she came with four science and four tactical stock as well as the five engineering. Since its the Ops version its designed to lead fleets. Not sure what my Boffs use for abilities going to check.
    Proud Trekkie Favorite episode from TOS is The Doomsday Machine TNG: Yesterday's Enterprise VOY: Endgame part 1 and 2 DS9: Emissary ENT: Assmilation
  • Options
    trumpetmaster29trumpetmaster29 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Thanks for the tips everyone! I've been trying different variants with what I have. Right now, I can't beat teh Vaadwaur ships, which is really getting annoying.
  • Options
    postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    If you fill in the ship details and post a link people will help.
    http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/

Other options:
    Especially if in a fleet, get another player to join your mission to help.

Think how the build and fighting tactics work together, or not, what seems to be the problem?

Do you have another end game ship? The summer event gave away the T6 Nandi for free. Also some players are simply better in some ship types than others.