test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Lost My Screenshots

altlexingtonaltlexington Member Posts: 49 Arc User
I recently uninstalled Star Trek Online game in order to reinstall it for better performance, however now I carn't find any of my screenshots, I'm wondering do they get deleted when the game uninstalls ?
I had many video's I made in the screenshots folder too and if they are gone I will be devastated.
Is there any way to get them back ?
I'm on a Dell computer running 32bit Vista Ultimate, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    When you uninstall STO it does indeed delete your screenshot folder. Found that out a few years ago and now I always keep backups. I'm afraid anything you had in that folder is gone. Sorry. :(
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Dang, that sucks... Unless you made any backups, there isn't anything I can think of, and the only windows-build in systems that are automatically in place exist purely to restore system settings, not program-specific data.​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    kimonykimony Member Posts: 571 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Files are not erased when deleted, that file space is merely made available to be overwrtten by the system when needed. The files COULD still be there but everything you do with your computer after deleting a file make recovery less likely due to the system using the space occupied by the deleted file.

You need some sort of undelete or file recovery software. You might try the free version of this:
    https://www.piriform.com/recuva

No guarantees it will work or if the files have been overwritten though. If you're going to try it, do it now while you have the best chance the files are still intact.

Good luck.

#SaucersForever #TrianglesCutDeep #TeamBeta #ShipOneisNumberOne
  • Options
    Thank you for response's, I was thinking that my only option would be to use a recovery program.
    It's very bad that this happens when just uninstalling for a reinstall so that stability is improved, people's hard work at making video's all gone, make's me wonder why I paided to be a life-time sub.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Thank you for response's, I was thinking that my only option would be to use a recovery program.
    It's very bad that this happens when just uninstalling for a reinstall so that stability is improved, people's hard work at making video's all gone, make's me wonder why I paided to be a life-time sub.
    I am not sure why you believe that uninstalling and installing STO would improve performance in the first place? Unless you reinstalled on a faster hard drive like an SSD?

Also, your lifetime subscription is not a backup system. It just means you pay an up-front sum to gain subscription benefits for STO as long as it's around.

​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    I did get my screenshots and videos back by restoring a shadow copy I found on my computer.