test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Portion of a conversation Romulans might be interested in.

kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
edited June 2015 in Romulan Discussion
Original Thread Link Here
huskerklg wrote: »
Yeah looked over his page in more detail. While yeah more aliens, it is basically a Generations reboot.

Renegades at least it offers something different, even if the writing is currently a bit weak for a screenplay, and some of their proof of concept scenes were bad. The idea in general has potential for a series spin off from their T.V. Movie.

While I love TOS and Gen, even ENT at times, I'm not sure the IP needs another version of that kind of ST right now.
qziqza wrote: »

yeah there is definitely truth in that, i think a new trek series really does need to move away from what we have had, ideally striking out into new territory. i would even go as far as suggesting, and i may go to trek hell for this, that it really needs to move away from old cast members, and projected far enough into the future, that any reference to current trek becomes very historically dated. then it would allow the new story and new characters to establish what trek is.

i'd love to see a few mini series from the perspective of other factions. starfleet has been well documented, the others not so. diving deeper into the kdf and the romulans would provide a much deeper understanding with an audience, and provide far more scope and material for an ongoing series. that is the level of diversity and inclusion i would like to see from a character perspective, and the direction i would really enjoy seeing things go.
dont think we need to move away from established characters, but like Renegades tries, we need to move away from established perspectives... we all know how the pajama navy(starfleet) works by now and how they see things. Lets get perspectives on how the rest live, or how the crew of a Romulan Warbird handles the catastrophe immediately in the wake of Hobus. Hell split a series... lets have one that spends 1/2 its time on a Klingon battlecruiser as the Empire tries to exploit the weakness of the Romulan state, the other half the time we spend with the Romulans. Let Starfleet and the Federation be the NPCs for once. Let us only see THEM through the view screen as they meddle/help. This would be an awesome time to see exactly what characters like Donatra and Taris do.
scifi is great genre, but with trek there always seems to be an underlying need in the community to have some recognised trek personality involved in it, or have it framed in that same time frame. this means scripts end up getting written around the personality, rather than just around the trekverse. koda's suggestion of a series split between a kdf battle-cruiser and a romulan warbird, could be a good way to work around that issue though, and given the juxtaposition of ideologies between both factions, could really provide some great variety in the script, and a little more something for everyone.

if it is written around a trek personality though we are stuck with their perspective which i think rubs cbs the wrong way, and if we have something that is in the same time frame and doesn't include an old personality, fans would scream 'why?' which in turn could still rub cbs the wrong way. i always get the feeling that the repeated rejection for a new tv series, is down to cbs only ever seeing scripts for more of the same, when what they may be looking for is something for a completely new audience, yet still have elements that resonate 'trek' with the old. although again, koda's suggestion may well be the answer here too.

unfortunately i can only really base my comments on tv and film, i have no experience at all with any of the cast written fiction or fan novella.. so i may well be a little of the mark, apologies if that is the case.
I was thinking more about the idea myself and thought for a series you could even borrow from the original concept behind 24... have one episode(or series of episodes) romulan side then flip it and cover the same time period from the klink side. Tho, imo, that format would probably work better for something internet based with a smaller budget than a weekly tv series, but even then we could expand it to season1(rom) then season1(klink) giving production plenty of time for season 2(rom) etc
i could see something along those lines making a much better proposition. then again, i have always enjoyed underdog and survival story's over those of expansion and gain, that is maybe a large part of my desire to see a big change in perspective. The federation feels too 'save the day' with all the predictability and necessity to end in success, that comes bundled up within that.

i think with a kdf and rom angle, that predictability, that need to end well, can be taken out of the equation, adversity and loss is part of both culture, which would allow for something far more gripping, and tense. both factions really deserve to be portrayed starkly as they are.. pretty hardcore.. but, we only ever see it hinted at, and aside from a few episodes here and there, in practice it often seems more comical than canonical.

Comments

• Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    I don't know, the way the world is right now, I think a more classic TOS/TNG vision with some hope might be nice. At some point everyone blowing everyone else gets a bit old.
  • Options
    reximuz wrote: »
    I don't know, the way the world is right now, I think a more classic TOS/TNG vision with some hope might be nice. At some point everyone blowing everyone else gets a bit old.

Im not suggesting outright warfare like in STO, in actual Trek they couldn't do that cause the Federation would ally up with the Romulans in a second crying about Klingon bullies tromping on the poor victims of an epic disaster. Even Klingon arrogance knows it doesnt want butthurt pajama navy AND Romulans wanting an outlet for their pain and frustration.

That said, its also probably a matter of fiction preferences. I find too much white knighting and trying to paint everything in white/black with no shades of gray to be annoying. This also leads me to really dislike early TNG most, for obvious reasons. I think thats also why the BSG reboot didnt land well with many fans of the original.... it was darker, more realistic, and went places that they never would have explored in the 70s.
  • Options
    crappyturbocrappyturbo Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    Personally I would love to see a series based on either the Klingons or the Romulans and see the Federation through the view screen, mainly because I am sick and tired of seeing everything from the Federation point of view.
  • Options
    if ya go to the main thread I linked in the OP the idea got a bit more refined and there was some more conversation on that topic
  • Options
    skylarcometskylarcomet Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    I have wondered if a series done in the way American Horror Story is done on Netflix may work, be interesting, where each season could center around Klingon's, then Romulan's, Vulcan's, and work through the various species of Trek, maybe skipping a Starfleet view of things all together though.
    >:)ruff, meow, moo, whatever.... *shrug*
    [ Still Waiting for a Shiny New T6 Romulan Science Ship to Command ]
  • Options
    thats very similar to how I fleshed out the idea in the main thread :) but kept it between Romulans and Klingons
  • Options
    thats very similar to how I fleshed out the idea in the main thread :) but kept it between Romulans and Klingons

I like your idea as an ongoing series, my thoughts are on standalone seasons, something to explore the various species, see things from their point of view. Maybe something where they take a barely touched on point from what is known, and expand on it from the point of view of the people involved. I could see some species showing up more than once, especially the Klingon's and Romulan's.

I also need to get back to the original thread and finish reading it. :)
  • Options
    oh that WOULD be really cool :) even if it were 'short' seasons of 12 episodes that would really let things get fleshed out from a number of perspectives fairly well
  • Options
    oh that WOULD be really cool :) even if it were 'short' seasons of 12 episodes that would really let things get fleshed out from a number of perspectives fairly well

12 Episode seasons may be more practical since I envision it as a season centered around important events in history, or maybe future events, but visually exploring the early days of Romulan's or Klingon's explorations would be interesting, at least to me. (I am sure some of this has come up in the novels, which I have sadly never read any of.)

Though thinking about your idea with the Rom/Klink's post Hobus, I wonder if a KDF ship sent out to "Aid" the RSE, doubling to spy on them to find out where they are weakest, or where they can exploit them. They are assigned a contact with the RSE, and that be the Rom view of things, from that ship.

*shrug* I dunno, maybe not. Just letting the brain wander a bit.