test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sixth Annual Pride Weekend

Comments

• kozar2kozar2 Member Posts: 602 Arc User
    How the hell can anyone be proud of their sexuality? It's like being proud of your skin colour. It's just the way it is. Pride stands in the way of equal rights, it does not promote them. Hell it is one of the seven deadly sins.
  • siliconpsychosiliconpsycho Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    Most of the people I work with are homosexual. My GF's sister is TRIBBLE. I have lived and worked with TRIBBLE people for years.

After all this time I have come to learn that the LGBT "community", such as it is, is actually fractured. Most homosexual people live their lives, fully and freely, and you would never even guess. Those who just go about their business tend to frown upon those who flaunt it as part of the "community" because all they are doing is inviting negativity towards themselves. The most vehement activists tend to damage or mar the reputation of the cause they are trying to support because they simply dont understand that most people simply are not concerned with or find offense in their way of life. By forcing the issue in a very public way all that is achieved is drawing attention by those who feel negatively towards it to the group.

I have no problem with LGBT, but I find the very label, as do most of my TRIBBLE friends and colleagues, offensive, as it is in itself segregating themselves from "everyone else" by their own actions
    shazia9191 wrote: »
    kozar2 wrote: »
    How the hell can anyone be proud of their sexuality? It's like being proud of your skin colour. It's just the way it is. Pride stands in the way of equal rights, it does not promote them. Hell it is one of the seven deadly sins.

Seven deadly sins? Since when did that matter in a thread that makes no mention of/has nothing to do with religion?

If mankind has noticed that a certain action generally leads to bad results for thousands of years there is likely a reason for it. Pride does not lead to positive outcomes. It's not about religious propaganda (but nice try at ignoring the point to focus on a religious continuation as a means of deflection) it's about behaviour. Pride in your sexuality is stupid. Pride in your skin colour is stupid. Promoting these things through pride is stupid. They've led to the greatest evils man has had against man. Wrapping it in a rainbow flag changes nothing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Maybe the haters should make their own thread instead of vandalizing this one, hmm???

lGBT folks, stay loud and proud! It's been a watershed year, there are a whole lot of reasons to celebrate, more every day at county clerks and courthouses from sea to shining sea!

You have an interesting definition of "haters" (and of "vandalism", but that's another topic). The point we're making is that in Star Trek they've fought that battle already. Which way you swing, or what color your skin is, or which set of chromosomes you have, or which deity you pray to (if any), means jack-squat next to whether you can accurately shoot a phaser and negotiate competently with aliens.

No, we're not haters. By not giving a flying frak what you do in bed and calling TRIBBLE pride a waste of air, we're the exact opposite. We're living the future of acceptance that Star Trek showed us.
  • protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    thissler wrote: »
    This event is just part of a celebration for the LGBT community where they acknowledge gaining rights after violent demonstrations. It is just a time of year they hold their celebrations and this event is not just for the LGBT community.

As part of their celebration the Stonewall Fleet are putting together events throughout this weekend for all of the STO community no matter what their sexual, religious or political preferences are.

There is no parading LGBT people like animals - it is quite simply a fun weekend with lots of prizes available to win.

If you can and want to attend, good luck trying to win some sweet prizes; if not, I hope you enjoy your weekend with whatever activity you choose to do.

Please remember to keep your posts civil - we do not want to be giving out warnings and deleting posts.

LLAP, MidNite

So you just FREELY admit that political statements and discussions are just fine by you, regardless of what the forum guidelines are. Good to know. Based on past moderator and manager behavior can we expect some TRIBBLE jokes and perhaps a little poking fun at religious figures? All in good taste mind you. The bias of the moderators on these forums, public twitter accounts, and Facebook is boggling. I guess as long as no ones bashes your favorite little group it's anything goes with you guys. Like who DOESN'T like a little Jesus Joke? Aethro Gaming LOVES them. Just Ask Ray!

But it's cool.

The only reasons this is "political" are:
    1. liberty, justice, and equality are political concepts (in that branch of Philosophy known as Politics)
    2. certain partisan politicians have made it a partisan political issue to stand against liberty, justice, and equality in the name of religious bias as a means of soliciting the votes, campaign assistance, and financial contributions of disaffected bigots masquerading as religious persons (and a few authentically religious persons who have been misled).

As for "pride" being one of the "seven deadly sins," not everyone agrees with that translation, and not everyone believes that self-abnegation is a good thing. Pride is a virtue in a Noble Morality and in an Heroic Ethic. It's conceit that is a vice, not pride.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    Star Trek may have fought that battle, but, if you haven't noticed, this is the year 2015

indeed, this is why, we must begin to change the things now. mankind must leave the age of puberty, for enters adulthood.

not only for our specie, but also for the others and the ecosystems; we have made enough *bulllshit; it is time to stop. :)

Anyway, Tal'Diann, Tal-Diann, and Lasasam s'Tal'Diann will have a presence in this event. We are LGBTI-friendly.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    of course, it begins here, because all these communities build gates between people. that's all. sto is a game, gates shouldn't exist. damn', really: LGBT, christian, muslim, german, french, etc fleets; this is crazy. we should play all together. when i have joined my fleet, i hadn't asked if the others were black, christian, *g*ay etc, because this is not important.
    arbitrary measure of human progress.
    it is not arbitrary, do you think that i put my sentences without reflections? this human progress is a necessity, and we must evolve not by creating more tech objects, but in our minds. humans are just a bunch of children who spend too much time at watching their own belly buttons

i have nothing to add but read this post from Siliconpsycho:

"Most of the people I work with are homosexual. My GF's sister is TRIBBLE. I have lived and worked with TRIBBLE people for years.

After all this time I have come to learn that the LGBT "community", such as it is, is actually fractured. Most homosexual people live their lives, fully and freely, and you would never even guess. Those who just go about their business tend to frown upon those who flaunt it as part of the "community" because all they are doing is inviting negativity towards themselves. The most vehement activists tend to damage or mar the reputation of the cause they are trying to support because they simply dont understand that most people simply are not concerned with or find offense in their way of life. By forcing the issue in a very public way all that is achieved is drawing attention by those who feel negatively towards it to the group.

I have no problem with LGBT, but I find the very label, as do most of my TRIBBLE friends and colleagues, offensive, as it is in itself segregating themselves from "everyone else" by their own actions "

• sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    Yes yes more 'back in the closet' posts by those who don't want to see it or have their children be corrupted. We covered this fully with House of Pegh.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• stonewallfleetstonewallfleet Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    At any rate: The even is going on now and having a BLAST. Join channel "STOPride" for invites or check out http://fleet.stonewallgaming.net/pride for a calendar of events. Having a great time so far, so let's keep the good times rolling. Show your PRIDE or SUPPORT and let's make this event a success!

Glad you're having a good time! The Weekend is just getting started!!

ef60ddee6509cfb00c93237a0bfeec6b_large.png
    protogoth wrote: »
    Anyway, Tal'Diann, Tal-Diann, and Lasasam s'Tal'Diann will have a presence in this event. We are LGBTI-friendly.

Glad to have you celebrating with us!

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I could't joint the channel for some reason.

Also, if you have no interest in a pride, why bother in even looking at the thread?
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    artan42 wrote: »
    I could't joint the channel for some reason.

Also, if you have no interest in a pride, why bother in even looking at the thread?

Enter '/channel_join STOPride' into the chat bar or you can add it through the Channel Settings.

Oh that will totally suck as there was no mention of "I's" being invited. See the OP said LGBT. Not sure who the "I's" are but they look to be out. Also the A's O's and U's are out as well. Which is why this kind of thing is exactly what I said it was in the being, stupid. People need to throw all their stupid TRIBBLE letters in the trash because only one matters "E". As in everyone.

Oh and some of us took our first year philosophy courses years ago then grew up and started living in the real world. And seriously Homer and Nietzsche? The two philosophical schools most embraced by the TRIBBLE. Great argument there. Next year I'd recommend some history, political science and sociology courses so that you can better understand how things really are.

kozar2 wrote: »

Oh that will totally suck as there was no mention of "I's" being invited. See the OP said LGBT. Not sure who the "I's" are but they look to be out. Also the A's O's and U's are out as well. Which is why this kind of thing is exactly what I said it was in the being, stupid. People need to throw all their stupid [REDACTED] letters in the trash because only one matters "E". As in everyone.

Oh and some of us took our first year philosophy courses years ago then grew up and started living in the real world. And seriously Homer and Nietzsche? The two philosophical schools most embraced by the TRIBBLE. Great argument there. Next year I'd recommend some history, political science and sociology courses so that you can better understand how things really are.

I is Intersex. And when "everyone" starts accepting the reality of LGBTI persons, instead of making insolent comments and trying to keep others down, then there won't be any need for struggle for liberty, equality, and justice for such persons.

I finished my BA long ago, and went on to graduate school, also long ago. I've also worked minimum wage jobs, and taught at the university level. Want to tell me a little more about "how things really are" and "living in the real world"? Nietzsche talked about Noble Morality based on his interpretation of Homer, yes, but the fact that some twisted his views for their own use is of as little consequence as your ranting. Heroic Ethic is something else, connected to neither them nor the political party you mentioned. Perhaps some courses in Cultural Anthropology or Celtic Studies would help you understand the concept.
  • thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    I'd rather not have to deal with anyone's blatant disregard for the laws of morality when I visit the website and/or forums for the online games hosted under www.arcgames.com

Just as I keep my personal opinions on sexuality to myself, I'd like for everyone else to do the same.

This website is supposed to be about playing mmo's, not who my fellow players are sleeping with in real life.

Best regards,

@ThetaNine
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    thetanine wrote: »
    I'd rather not have to deal with anyone's blatant disregard for the laws of morality when I visit the website and/or forums for the online games hosted under www.arcgames.com

Just as I keep my personal opinions on sexuality to myself, I'd like for everyone else to do the same.

This website is supposed to be about playing mmo's, not who my fellow players are sleeping with in real life.

Best regards,

@ThetaNine

Which "Laws of morality" are these? Please enlighten us.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    sennahcherib--I don't want to be told my fleet shouldn't exist or be known, so I don't feel the need to tell someone else that. I can understand why people want safe spaces where they are united by additional things they have in common than just playing the game. It is nice to have somewhere I can go where I'm on a common wavelength, and my geeky sense of humor doesn't get blank stares.

At the same time, though, we DO very much need to learn how to get along respectfully and without always looking for threats from each other in the public space--and without forcing public space into uniformity. This is hard because when there's been a history of conflict, both sides are always coming into interactions keyed up and looking for things to go wrong. When that's the mindset you enter into interactions with, confirmation bias takes over and whether rightly or wrongly, we very often do end up with the exact hostile situation we were spoiling for, because we were SO ready to see it in the other person.

That's the thing about being socially libertarian. It doesn't mean you're apathetic, you don't care, or that you cannot have strong beliefs and disagreements. It doesn't mean an open mind like a sieve where everything just runs through. ;)

But it does mean we have to quit taking the existence of differences on both sides as an attack. I don't feel threatened by Stonewall Fleet's event, or feel like there needs to be rivalry or drama. That would be pointless, rude, and an interference in free choice. I don't like being forced into anybody else's idea of how I should be or how I should think, being told to shut up, etc.; I don't take well to that at all. So I don't want to do that to someone else.

Our exercises of freedoms are not independent; it's the old hang together or hang separately thing. If one person tries to suppress someone else, that sets up an environment where their own self-expression is at risk, whether they recognize it at the moment or not, regardless of who has a headwind of sentiment and who does not. And that is what we all need to be cognizant of.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    thetanine wrote: »

Best regards,

@ThetaNine

Which "Laws of morality" are these? Please enlighten us.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Moral+Law
    Moral law is a system of guidelines for behavior. These guidelines may or may not be part of a religion, codified in written form, or legally enforceable. For some people moral law is synonymous with the commands of a divine being. For others, moral law is a set of universal rules that should apply to everyone.
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    gulberat wrote: »
    long derail

You have been a major contributor to the constant political derail of this thread. This is for an event, which is ongoing, held by a particular fleet. It is not your soap box.

Letting each other be in peace is a bad idea. OK...got it... O_O

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    long derail

You have been a major contributor to the constant political derail of this thread. This is for an event, which is ongoing, held by a particular fleet. It is not your soap box.

Letting each other be in peace is a bad idea. OK...got it... O_O

Lol, and he hasn't? Typical dental tactic, blame someone else for their wrong doings! xD

/inb4thelock
    I need a beer.

• thisslerthissler Member Posts: 2,055 Arc User
    thissler wrote: »
    This event is just part of a celebration for the LGBT community where they acknowledge gaining rights after violent demonstrations. It is just a time of year they hold their celebrations and this event is not just for the LGBT community.

As part of their celebration the Stonewall Fleet are putting together events throughout this weekend for all of the STO community no matter what their sexual, religious or political preferences are.

There is no parading LGBT people like animals - it is quite simply a fun weekend with lots of prizes available to win.

If you can and want to attend, good luck trying to win some sweet prizes; if not, I hope you enjoy your weekend with whatever activity you choose to do.

Please remember to keep your posts civil - we do not want to be giving out warnings and deleting posts.

LLAP, MidNite

So you just FREELY admit that political statements and discussions are just fine by you, regardless of what the forum guidelines are. Good to know. Based on past moderator and manager behavior can we expect some TRIBBLE jokes and perhaps a little poking fun at religious figures? All in good taste mind you. The bias of the moderators on these forums, public twitter accounts, and Facebook is boggling. I guess as long as no ones bashes your favorite little group it's anything goes with you guys. Like who DOESN'T like a little Jesus Joke? Aethro Gaming LOVES them. Just Ask Ray!

But it's cool.

The only reasons this is "political" are:
    1. liberty, justice, and equality are political concepts (in that branch of Philosophy known as Politics)
    2. certain partisan politicians have made it a partisan political issue to stand against liberty, justice, and equality in the name of religious bias as a means of soliciting the votes, campaign assistance, and financial contributions of disaffected bigots masquerading as religious persons (and a few authentically religious persons who have been misled).

As for "pride" being one of the "seven deadly sins," not everyone agrees with that translation, and not everyone believes that self-abnegation is a good thing. Pride is a virtue in a Noble Morality and in an Heroic Ethic. It's conceit that is a vice, not pride.

You seem to be a little held back intellectually. The OP references a political event, the Stonewall riots. Look it up. That makes this a thread about politics. Understand? They aren't even allowed (supposedly) on the forums. Look it up. Educate yourself, take some courses, do something. Or maybe just stick to posting on simple things. Cause you're reaching way further than you can grasp. For fun, maybe you can look up the ultimate expression of political will. That days coming I've heard.

This discussion has been closed.