test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Universal Holodeck panel 'door' for Holo missions

Hi everyone!

I'd like to propose adding a 'Holodeck panel' doorway to the list of places to start missions in the Foundry Editor.

This panel would be placed in all in-game holodecks and suites. (3 at Starfleet Academy, 1 on Bajor, 1 on Fleet Starbase, etc.). It would be 'universal' because a mission tagged with this as its starting point could be played from ANY holodeck regardless of its specific location - after all, a holonovel is a holonovel (or holoprogram) and should be able to be played from any holodeck. :)

Plus, it would finally make all holodecks in-game functional. :)

Comments

• Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    Great Idea

Would definitly like to see this, especially considering that many of the holodecks go largely unused despite being a major theme from TNG onwards
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    csrr12905csrr12905 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    This would definitely be a good idea!

Especially if it (and the rest of the indoor foundry doors?) could be tied into the top-three foundry system.
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,769 Arc User
    Brilliant! :smiley:
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    theyredeadjimtheyredeadjim Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    I really like this idea, but I wonder if the Cryptic Engine is capable of doing this.
  • Options
    minababeminababe Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    csrr12905 wrote: »
    Especially if it (and the rest of the indoor foundry doors?) could be tied into the top-three foundry system.

I was thinking about how cool it would be if those doors were tied into the top three system as well. The problem is that it would make for awkward gameplay for missions that use them to transition to the next map after speaking to an NPC.

For example, I have a mission that starts out with the player having to speak to an NPC at ESD. If the top-three system were implemented, the player would have to use the door for this mission twice--the first time to initiate the mission and the second time to leave ESD. This does not seem like much of a big deal, but if the NPC is on the other side of the map, I can see this being annoying.
    My Foundry Mission--Name: Falling Star | Mission ID: HQIH36HAW | Faction: FED
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    minababe wrote: »

I was thinking about how cool it would be if those doors were tied into the top three system as well. The problem is that it would make for awkward gameplay for missions that use them to transition to the next map after speaking to an NPC.

For example, I have a mission that starts out with the player having to speak to an NPC at ESD. If the top-three system were implemented, the player would have to use the door for this mission twice--the first time to initiate the mission and the second time to leave ESD. This does not seem like much of a big deal, but if the NPC is on the other side of the map, I can see this being annoying.

Not sure how this would be awkward.

The NPC simply states, "Use ANY holodeck to start the mission". Then the author is absolved of any 'weirdness' location-wise.

For example: The player picks up the holo-mission on ESD. But then doesn't start it until he is on DS9 (using the holosuites Tacofangs is going to put in :tongue: there to run it). He would, of course, exit the program at DS9 once finished. That was his choice to run the program there and not on ESD.

I think it would be pretty easy for authors to write 'generic' location text at the start and end of holo-missions. :)
  • Options
    minababeminababe Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    minababe wrote: »

Not sure how this would be awkward.

The NPC simply states, "Use ANY holodeck to start the mission". Then the author is absolved of any 'weirdness' location-wise.

For example: The player picks up the holo-mission on ESD. But then doesn't start it until he is on DS9 (using the holosuites Tacofangs is going to put in :tongue: there to run it). He would, of course, exit the program at DS9 once finished. That was his choice to run the program there and not on ESD.

I think it would be pretty easy for authors to write 'generic' location text at the start and end of holo-missions. :)

I wasn't referring to your idea about the holodeck. Another poster mentioned making the internal foundry doors be tied to the top-three system. This sounds like a good idea on paper but in reality, it would it would make for awkward gameplay in pre-existing missions in which a player has to speak to an NPC located far away from the door.
    My Foundry Mission--Name: Falling Star | Mission ID: HQIH36HAW | Faction: FED
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    How many places in-game have holosuites? I know Drozana does and the fleet bases... also Hathon. But most other social zones I don't think do.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User