test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Who Here hates this current forum design.

This current forum design looks like it should be a pre-set or a placeholder for STO's forum. Than the actual forum setup it currently is.

Did they chose this design to save money. By making it ultra bla.

Comments

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    You should have done a Poll, then they would close it right up for you.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    Yay finally a thread like this one that doesn't involve a poll... kudos to you OP.

And in my case I totally hate a web version of the forums. The mobile version works really nicely btw. But thanks to several individuals there is an extension that allows for a much neater web version!....

>..<
    6tviTDx.png

• rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    I like the dark format.
    Features are better for this one but there wasn't much wrong with the old forum.

The real question is, do we have a choice?
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I didn't like it. Then I discovered a certain user script and... I'm a believer now pig-26.gif Seriously - PWE should hire the people making those. Their own attempts at making this forum better could never compete.

But the default one is terrible.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • freakiumfreakium Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    The format I might be able to get used to with time. I like having multiple tabs open though and I hate how this new forum forces the Arc banner down your throat. Now all my tabs just say "Arc Games" which needs extra overhead to figure out which thread I'm currently on.
    m12Pkoj.png
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    If we have to rely on third party scripts to make this side useable/readable, then there is a problem.

Oh absolutely. Don't get me wrong. But I kinda lost hope for PWE to come up with something and the user script can only leave any official improvement in the dust. Seriously - they should just pay the guys.

The user scripts can also only help on the surface and offer a number of QOL improvements. The terrible forum underneath stays the same - private messages are STILL public and no fix is in sight and no official word has been given...

​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    Outside of a scant few differences, the forums look just like they did before. Sure, the quote bit is a bit harder to read - the avatars are a wee bit smaller - and...hrmm, yeah, that's pretty much it. There's functional stuff like not having the pagination at the bottom as well as the top...the way it scrolls or doesn't scroll...Search is terribad...etc, etc, etc - but I'm at a loss at what folks are talking about with regard to the design. They must have been running all sorts of third party customization out the wahzoo. It's not meant to come off as an appeal to authority here or anything in the least, but er...yeah, post count, I spent a wee bit of time on the forums, eh? I just don't get what folks are talking about...
  • kittyflofykittyflofy Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    The new forum is awesome and players love it. There is nothing more to say. -end.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    Compared to the last one this forum is really reduced in quality. I think I like it though because it feels more in line with the direction STO is going the past year...
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    Between the lack of a Devtracker and the fact that you can't browse without clicking into a bunch of subforums anymore, this is a huge step back from what we had.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    I still hate the way the forums don't scale to resolutions. Who wants to read a tiny strip of text that makes up 50% or sometimes only 25% of the screen?
  • sabrevt1100sabrevt1100 Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    What? No Poll. Dangit. Well I hate the new forums too.
    "Bite Me! It's Fun." - Crow T. Robot
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Outside of a scant few differences, the forums look just like they did before. Sure, the quote bit is a bit harder to read - the avatars are a wee bit smaller - and...hrmm, yeah, that's pretty much it. There's functional stuff like not having the pagination at the bottom as well as the top...the way it scrolls or doesn't scroll...Search is terribad...etc, etc, etc - but I'm at a loss at what folks are talking about with regard to the design. They must have been running all sorts of third party customization out the wahzoo. It's not meant to come off as an appeal to authority here or anything in the least, but er...yeah, post count, I spent a wee bit of time on the forums, eh? I just don't get what folks are talking about...

There are quite a few things that even the most beginner coder would know about basic web design. Hyperlink color is the same as the text, you have to scroll way too much, quoted text is near identical to regular text, etc. The list goes on.

This is a link to http://www.google.com, which will take somebody to Google's site.
    This is a link to http://www.google.com, which will take somebody to Google's site.

The URL color is only the same if somebody decides to make it the same.

Could they have setup the CSS for link, vlink, etc? Sure, they probably could have done that - is it pressing? It's not difficult for somebody doing a post that's concerned about the URL being more visible...say they were doing a link like the following for Google where the http/etc wasn't visible. Maybe want to make it a little more visible for some folks? Well, we could drop our Google link out with some underlining, yeah?

It's just an opening and closing color tag - same BBCode we had on the old forums. With the [ and ] brackets wrapping the tags, it's just color=somecolor before and /color afterward. But, but, but...underlining? How, there's no underline button on the editor. Hrmm, if B is bold, I is italic, then just maybe U is underline. And yeah, it's something that even the most beginner would know...unless it was these forums, where folks complain about things at the drop of a hat.

Other than that, hrmm, yeah, I mentioned the scrolling and how the quotes stood out better before...you quoted it. :wink:
  • kristaswiftkristaswift Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    You should have done a Poll, then they would close it right up for you.

How true...
    No page on my mobile device
    No real search capability on forums
    Fonts are horrible
    Only thing I like the best is the polls :p
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    This current forum design looks like it should be a pre-set or a placeholder for STO's forum. Than the actual forum setup it currently is.

Did they chose this design to save money. By making it ultra bla.

Its so ugly...its not funny anymore
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited July 2015

Could they have setup the CSS for link, vlink, etc? Sure, they probably could have done that - is it pressing? It's not difficult for somebody doing a post that's concerned about the URL being more visible...say they were doing a link like the following for Google where the http/etc wasn't visible. Maybe want to make it a little more visible for some folks? Well, we could drop our Google link out with some underlining, yeah?

All they need to do is go into the existing CSS and change:
    a {
        color: #ddd;
    }

to:
    a {
        color: #0CF;
    }

to make it a nice pale blue colour instead, it's about 30 seconds of work.

Whereas it's an extra 10 or so seconds per link to add colour every time we want to post a link.

It's unnecessary extra clicks for us for the sake of someone changing a single line in the CSS.

Edit: oh looky the CSS for the code BBCode is all ballsed up too.
    and NO poll :D
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I didn't like it. Then I discovered a certain user script and... I'm a believer now pig-26.gif Seriously - PWE should hire the people making those. Their own attempts at making this forum better could never compete.

But the default one is terrible.​​
    Indeed.

I don't think we need to be coy about the name or the source of the script. I doubt applying a different style sheet to a website can break any EULAs or Terms of Use.

I just forgot the name. And the exact links. So post it again, so I can pick up the newest version, since the version I use has an annoying tick that it will not scale down images that get to wide...
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • eiledoneiledon Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    See Asterelle's Enhancment Add-On in my signature below for most of the usability fixes, new emoticons, font, size and color picker in editor and themes (different color themes and STO and PWI specific ones people have created)

(Also if you want a nice panel with useful game links (and arc profile/zen/support links) see my Game Panel add-on also in my signature)
    ​​
  • solardynamosolardynamo Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I spent time on the other forums too and if you think there is no difference, then you're missing something.
    • At the bottom of a thread, where is the pagination? I have to scroll all the way back up.
    • On mobile the pagination is messed up
    • Login takes you to the form and then back to square one from anywhere
    • There is no STO home for example. Home shows all game forums
    • Recent discussion shows all game forums mixed
    • Mobile layout is slightly wider than the phone so you need to downsize it to see the full width (iPhone 6+ screen)
    • Does search exist?
    • All links from Google are broken (No redirect table built on migration?)

That is just on the casual glance. Don't get me started on how "keep me logged in" actually doesn't, especially on mobile and you need to get an ARC Defender pin multiple times a day for the forums. If Defender was an option I'd turn it off and take my chances.

Edit - Oh yeah, and I'm not downloading any add-ons. I shouldn't have to.
  • captaintrueheartcaptaintrueheart Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    The dev tracker was all I really used from the old forums and then would browse STO General Discussions... now I just hang out on reddit because these new forums are just... awkward :(
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
    Captain Ariel Trueheart Department of Temporal Investigations
    U.S.S. Valkyrie - NCC 991701
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
  • alphaomega1500alphaomega1500 Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    You didn't have to hunt through seveal pages of forums to find the basic subject forum to begin with. (I.E. Neverwinter,STO,ECT) STO had it own forum and the other games had their own forums. So you could access your games forums from the game launcher.

Now you can't WHY ???
    Flag system is broken...at least from what I see....whats the use anyway?
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    Flag system is broken...at least from what I see....whats the use anyway?

The Flag feature isn't broken.

The problem is that

PWE never employed enough people to respond to Flags,

and the few Mods we do have are:

1. Unpaid volunteers doing the job in their free time.
    2. Restricted in what they can do. They have to kick serious issues up to people like Trendy to get suspensions/bans given out.

People like poor Trendy can only get to Flags when they aren't busy with their other work.
    doesnt vanilla have some sort of infraction system? cos that would be the ideal way to handle a case of staff overwhelm. create half a dozen different kinds of infractions, assign each a point value, and when the point threshold is met issue a temp ban and kick it up to trendy. easy peasy.​​
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    doesnt vanilla have some sort of infraction system? cos that would be the ideal way to handle a case of staff overwhelm. create half a dozen different kinds of infractions, assign each a point value, and when the point threshold is met issue a temp ban and kick it up to trendy. easy peasy.

And who is going to review the reported infractions to verify their validity? PWE isn't paying people to do it now, so what makes you think they'd pay vanilla employees to do it?

Or do you want some sort of automated feature that could be easily abused by clowns like the rentals who would take great joy in disrupting the forums with petition flag wars.

the moderators would issue infractions, and when a certain point threshold was met the offenders would be temp-banned and trendy could deal with them from there.
    its a great system that most of the high volume boards are using. they ran something sorta like it at the vB sto forum, but the systems modern boards use are even better. theres no good reason for people you trust to function as moderators to not have access to something like that.​​
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    [theres no good reason for people you trust to function as moderators to not have access to something like that.​​

When did lack of good reason ever stop any company policy? ;)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • kawasakizx10rrkawasakizx10rr Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I to dislike the current design, It is to plain and lacks the feel of a game forum. Just some nice sto art and such to the side,s of the body would make it more appealing. and the dark text boxes are quite dull :/
    StarTrek_Logo.png
    yEt6JSa.gifMEANWHILE AT THE CRYPTIC HEADQUARTERS