test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

If you were making Star Blazers the movie......

hawkwing43hawkwing43 Member Posts: 1,701 Arc User
edited March 2015 in Ten Forward
I just watched Space Battleship Yamato, and they did an ok job with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np0mNstndxU

That's the full movie BTW, and DUB in English.

anyway, I grew up on the cartoon back in the day, when it was called Star Blazers. Yes, I understand it was changed for the western market, but watching the live movie just felt like something was missing.

So if your making a Star blazers movie for the American/ British markets, what would you do with your version?

I Know what I would do for starters:

1. Use people in the alien role and call them Gamilons
2. Name the ship the Argo
3. Make a 3 movie deal, 1st movie the fight to save Earth from the Gamilons, and the next 2 would be a part 1 and 2, and would focus on the Comet Empire.

That's what I would do for a start.

How about you guys?
Post edited by hawkwing43 on

Comments

• kimonykimony Member Posts: 571 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It was a pretty good movie and they got a lot of the details right, like the way the ship cannons fire, sound effects, uniforms were pretty good, Black Tigers were there (right?) they used the same basic design for the Yamato and fighters... all good stuff.

Things I would change:

Call them Gamilons

Lose the pocket Analyzer

Include IQ-9 and give it a proper role

Extend the # of movies to allow for slower pace and more depth, like the original. Movie just felt too rushed trying to cram everything into 2 hours.

Bring Iscandar and the Gamilon Empire more into alignment with the original. If ya know what I mean. Don't want to spoiler.

More Special Effects and ship pron, that was seriously lacking for me in the movie, I mean come on the Yamato is the star of the show, give her proper screen time!

What made the original so compelling (for me) was the tension, emotion and heart the voice actors all seemed to capture and create so well.

Hurry Star Force, the Earth has only 183 days left...

:)

#SaucersForever #TrianglesCutDeep #TeamBeta #ShipOneisNumberOne
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited March 2015
    I think one of the first big hurdles to cross would be trying to explain how a WWII ship could be salvageable at this point. Most such wrecks are frail to the point of collapse. I suspect they'd have to ditch the salvage operation and go with conversion of a ship either recently sunk, or still in dry dock.

As much as I love the big gun, They have to line up the shot, and that's a huge telegraph of your intentions to the enemy. I'd probably design the ship to allow the energies to be funneled off into multiple lesser weapons guarding the broadsides, keel, and stern. That way, simply pointing the bow is not a guarantee of my attack's direction.

This might not be a popular choice, since the show is seen as a Japanese production, but since the story suggests a global response, I'd make sure the Argo was staffed with survivors from all over the planet. Make it a true global effort.
  • hawkwing43hawkwing43 Member Posts: 1,701 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I still like the 3 movie deal I would do, but kimony you might be right. But I think instead of making the Gamilon Empire story cross over into 2 movies, just extend the 2 hours into 3. The next two movies would be better served for telling the Comet Empire saga, and the Gamilon leader looking for revenge over the Star Force. That you could break into a 2 part movie. Anything after that well, not sure where you could go with the crew of the Argo.
  • theredcomettheredcomet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The anime was already remade - see yamato 2199

Yamato 2199

There's also a live action film with the same name.

Yamato live action

In STO? Gammlians are fairly easy to do as aliens.
    Ship wise for gammilans - vaadwaur with green visuals from which ever sets.

The yamato itself doesn't have any thing sufficently close.. imo.
  • theredcomettheredcomet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    I'd love to see a properly fleshed out MMO based on the Starblazers world.

Definitely.
    Albeit they'd have problems with lore/content/ship design but if a good dev is given some creative license it would be amazing.

Ghale Desslar!
    edited March 2015
    valoreah a MMO based in the Star Blazers universe would be sweet, but what time period would it be in?

IMO

It would 100% have to be after the Gamilon War.

But would it work under a Comet Empire war?

Maybe it should just start after all the wars, and do something fresh.

theredcomet I know about those movies, the live action one I post at the start of this post.

The point is, what would you do AKA Hollywood style? You would have the budget, you get the top name actors, and you get a great writer. So how would you make your version of Star Blazers?
    edited March 2015
    hawkwing43 wrote: »
    I still like the 3 movie deal I would do, but kimony you might be right. But I think instead of making the Gamilon Empire story cross over into 2 movies, just extend the 2 hours into 3. The next two movies would be better served for telling the Comet Empire saga, and the Gamilon leader looking for revenge over the Star Force. That you could break into a 2 part movie. Anything after that well, not sure where you could go with the crew of the Argo.

Well after the Comet Empire was the Bolar Wars:

"Two alien space fleets (The Bolar Federation and the Galman Empire) are fighting it out on the outside of Earth's solar system. Both fleets are equiped with planet destroying Proton Missiles. During the battle a Proton Missile is misfired and goes astray plunging into the sun causing a nuclear fussion reaction. This causes the heat to intensify on Earth day by day and the task of finding a new planet before the sun goes supernova has become a priority. Ready for the rehash part? Earth has "only 1 year" to find a new planet suitable for colonization."

which was pretty much a rehash of the first movie. Since it was just a retelling I think a lot more liberty could be taken to change the story of the Bolar Wars into something more original and maybe even open up the IP for more story possibilities if they're no longer stuck on earth.

Edit:

Oh, If any of you liked Yamato and haven't seen the movie "Space Pirate Capt Harlock" (2013), I recommend it. It's on Netflix. The originals shared the same design sensibilities as Leiji Matsumoto worked on both projects and is carried on in this movie as well.

edited March 2015
    In the case of the Bolar Wars, I would make that years later, and have Earth expanding into other star systems. A large Earth Colony could get attacked by the Bolars, cause they have a claim to that world. Later you could have civs from Gamilon come to that world as refugees, and the Star Force is one of the ships there that is helping with that.

Of course the Bolars whould like that, and Earth Force might get sucked into that war.
  • generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited March 2015
    Ugh! Lens flares.... You aught to have loads of lens flares....
  • hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    hawkwing43 wrote: »
    In the case of the Bolar Wars, I would make that years later, and have Earth expanding into other star systems.

If they follow the Japanese version any that might be problematic since from what I understand Final Yamato pretty much wiped them out in a freak collision of galaxies.
  • sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Personally, I never really liked the renaming of the Yamato to Argo or the whitewashing of the cast from Kodai Susumu/Yuki Mori to Derek Wildstar/Nova Forrester.

One has to remember that the context of using the name Yamato is that a WWII Japanese warship that previously represented imperial ambitions, and is now rebuilt into a spacefaring vessel to save *all* of humanity - a redemption of sorts.

The new Yamato 2199 anime does address some of the headscratchers from the original 1970's anime and the Star Blazers adapation:

- The real-life Yamato broke in two after Operation Ten-Go, and obviously isn't in a sea (let alone spaceworthy) state. According to the 2199 producer's commentary, the wreck of the Yamato was used an camouflage to disguise the construction of the real vessel underneath - in fact, the remains of the original WWII shipwreck crumbles away when the BBY-01 Yamato is launched

- The Japanocentric focus is explained by the fact that the BBY-01 is in fact operating under the authority of the United Nations Cosmo Force. The reason we don't see an international cast on the Yamato is because the UN Secretary General character (who resembles Kofi Annan) informs the Japanese part of the UNCF that all sectors of the world have been cut off from each other (save for communications), so other countries can't provide personnel and resources for the Yamato project.

- In the original 1970 anime, the messenger from Iscandar brings the Wave Motion Core to Earth, and it somehow magically becomes compatible with a spaceship not originally designed to use it. In 2199, the UNCF explains that Iscandar already contacted Earth one year before the start of the series, so that they had time to actually construct the Yamato to be compatible with the Wave Motion Core whilst it was in transit.

- Again, producer commentary for 2199 also adds that besides Japan the US, Russia, China, UK and Germany were all in fact also building their own space battleships in response to the offer of assistance from Iscandar. The handwave is that Japan's ship was the closest to completion, so the UN let Japan have the core first (but in exchange, Japan was asked to sacrifice its First Fleet for Operation M - a diversion action to allow the Iscandarian messenger to slip through Gamilias ships blockading the Solar System)

- In the original first episode, Kodai's older brother Mamoru fought to the bitter end because he "couldn't return with the shame of surviving the battle". In 2199, due to values dissonance, Mamoru's actions are reiterpreted as a straight-up heroic sacrifice.

- In the original, IQ-9 / Analyzer was depicted as a lecherous pervert; in 2199, AU-09 is strictly professional, and there was one "What measure is a man?" episode about his friendship with a captured Gamilion droid.

So what do I want to see in a new live-action adaptation?

- Ditch the hokey Star Blazers name; it's Space Battleship Yamato

- Don't whitewash the cast.

- Lose the perverted behavior for AU-09

- Mostly-realistic spaceflight (2199 features RCS thrusters, unlike the original)

The only thing I'll be okay with is anglicizing the Gamilias as Gamilons, as the latter rolls off the tongue easier.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
    edited March 2015
    sumghai that's some nice history you posted there, I didn't know 1/2 of that thx.
  • tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    sumghai wrote: »
    So what do I want to see in a new live-action adaptation?

- Ditch the hokey Star Blazers name; it's Space Battleship Yamato

- Don't whitewash the cast.

- Lose the perverted behavior for AU-09

- Mostly-realistic spaceflight (2199 features RCS thrusters, unlike the original)

The only thing I'll be okay with is anglicizing the Gamilias as Gamilons, as the latter rolls off the tongue easier.

I'd pretty much agree with this. I'd also agree with breaking down the Iscandar arc into a two-three film run, but that's just me...

Thank you for the time...
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
  • rambowdoubledashrambowdoubledash Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I don't think I'd keep the Yamato being an actual WWII-era ship, or even a naval ship at all. Rather I'd establish in the backstory that it was part of some sort of WWII IN SPACE! that had occurred between the nations of Sol (maybe between colonies on Venus, Mars, and the Galilean Satellites of Jupiter against Earth, or something, with the Jovians standing in for Japan), after a fashion, predating the conflict with the Gamilons. Yamato then was a true spaceship from the get-go, but is still hilariously out-dated and a wreck at the start of the series.

But then I've never watched Star Blazers nor Space Battleship Yamato, so...
    I don't think I'd keep the Yamato being an actual WWII-era ship, or even a naval ship at all. Rather I'd establish in the backstory that it was part of some sort of WWII IN SPACE! that had occurred between the nations of Sol (maybe between colonies on Venus, Mars, and the Galilean Satellites of Jupiter against Earth, or something, with the Jovians standing in for Japan), after a fashion, predating the conflict with the Gamilons. Yamato then was a true spaceship from the get-go, but is still hilariously out-dated and a wreck at the start of the series.

But then I've never watched Star Blazers nor Space Battleship Yamato, so...

Slightly late response on my part, but this idea was actually briefly touched on in the Yamato 2199 remake:

One of the fighter pilots assigned to the Yamato is Akira Yamamoto, the gender-swapped version of the originally-male pilot who was killed in an early episode from the original series. Akira is described as a "Marsnoid", a derogatory term for humans who were born and raised on Mars, whose sole distinguishing feature are their red irises.

Part of Akira's backstory in 2199 was that prior to the series, there was an Interplanetary war between Earth and Mars (apparently, the Martian colonies tried to declare independence), and after the Martian rebels were defeated, they headed back to Earth to start their lives over. This also explains why Earth and the UNCF had a standing space navy in the first place - to suppress colonial rebellions.

(Earth also had various off-world outposts for resource harvesting, but Mars was probably the only major colony out there.)

So, not quite the epic WWII IN SPACE! you were hoping for, but good enough for the purposes of 2199.

As for why the Yamato was a retrofitted WWII wreck in the story, this is because the original source material deliberately wanted to invoke a resurrection / redemption of the Japanese fighting spirit - if it was merely an unremarkable space war veteran that happened to have the same name, I doubt the effect would have been the same.

Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    I been watching the 2199 on the net. Very good show. And have the live action film on DVD. I would done the live action in a trilogy. That way you had more time to cover it and make it better. From what I saw on the 2199 the movie left a lot of cool stuff out of it.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    Hell no trilogy. There are few episodes that could have been skipped: Bee people, Octopus Storm and Magnetron station-place quickly come to mind. They are fine for TV shows that needs to show an "adventure". But for a movie, those could be skipped.

Pruning out some shows would leave a two-parter for movie-goers. Trilogy is just hunting for money while boring the viewers (Hobbit anyone?)

In my humble opinion.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Loved Space Battleship Yamato 2199. Very purrdy anime also. Loved it enough to officially buy the Japan release blu-rays (the episodes themselves have English sub options). I in particular loved seeing all the nuances within the Great Garmillas Empire. The different characters, personalities, noble and ignoble agendas, the treatment of subjugated races in the Empire. And my favorite, THIS is how you put down a rebellion. THIS is how you subjugate people:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzWfu3STLtQ
    Note that they put engines on those massive orbital bombs to make them go down a tad bit faster B)

This show just had so many cool moments.

I was very little when the original series was ported to the USA and broadcast as "Starblazers." But I was very young at the time, newly immigrated to the US, and didn't know any English. I had no idea what was going on and I'm pretty sure I didn't see most of the episodes.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    Playback of the video not allowed on other sites :'( You're making me work to see destruction and death, you know.
    edited July 2015
    Loved Space Battleship Yamato 2199. Very purrdy anime also. Loved it enough to officially buy the Japan release blu-rays (the episodes themselves have English sub options). I in particular loved seeing all the nuances within the Great Garmillas Empire. The different characters, personalities, noble and ignoble agendas, the treatment of subjugated races in the Empire. And my favorite, THIS is how you put down a rebellion. THIS is how you subjugate people:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzWfu3STLtQ
    Note that they put engines on those massive orbital bombs to make them go down a tad bit faster B)

This show just had so many cool moments.

I was very little when the original series was ported to the USA and broadcast as "Starblazers." But I was very young at the time, newly immigrated to the US, and didn't know any English. I had no idea what was going on and I'm pretty sure I didn't see most of the episodes.

If you're interested in seeing Star Blazers you can watch for free over on Hulu:
    hulu.com/star-blazers

• virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    I would cast William Shatner in all the male roles.

• kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    Almost feels like I'm back on the Tokusatsu boards and the PRsnobs and Sentai Snobs are going at it.

I've seen "Yamato" and I've seen "Star Blazers". If anyone does anything it should be that all versions keep the ship the Yamato, it's 2015, we don't need to hide under our beds over anything Japanese anymore. They didn't change the name of the Enterprise for Japanese consumption.

Actually, if anyone does anything, what we need is an Odyssey Class "USS Yamato" in STO.
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • k20vteck20vtec Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    Shouldn't Yamatos wreck have large rust holes everywhere, a giant piece of canvas offers better camo than a piece of rust. Not to mention Yamato isnt exactly big to begin with, just 260-ish meters...
    Oh and Space battleship Iowa is urgent needed. Preferably with a Space carrier Enterprise.
    Hast thou not gone against sincerity
    Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds
    Hast thou not lacked vigor
    Hast thou exerted all possible efforts
    Hast thou not become slothful
  • k20vteck20vtec Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    ^ just 260 meters ...
    Relatively... I mean look at Nimitz and Ford that is over 300 meter. Heck, or the 250 meter long "Helicopter destroyer" Izumo, which in japanese is a "護衛艦"/Escorting ship(roughly translating). And Japan was only suppose to have a "self-defense force".

Hast thou not gone against sincerity
    Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds
    Hast thou not lacked vigor
    Hast thou exerted all possible efforts
    Hast thou not become slothful
    Almost feels like I'm back on the Tokusatsu boards and the PRsnobs and Sentai Snobs are going at it.

I've seen "Yamato" and I've seen "Star Blazers". If anyone does anything it should be that all versions keep the ship the Yamato, it's 2015, we don't need to hide under our beds over anything Japanese anymore. They didn't change the name of the Enterprise for Japanese consumption.

Precisely :)
    Actually, if anyone does anything, what we need is an Odyssey Class "USS Yamato" in STO.

Just as long as the USS Yamato stays well clear of anything Iconian, I'd be okay with this.
    k20vtec wrote: »
    Shouldn't Yamatos wreck have large rust holes everywhere, a giant piece of canvas offers better camo than a piece of rust.

As shown in the first episode of the Yamato 2199 remake, Earth's surface has been bombed to oblivion by Gamilon interplanetary missiles / redirected asteroids, and all the oceans have dried up. Shipwrecks dotting the landscape, while uncommon, certainly wouldn't be unexpected.

Gamilon scout fighters were long aware of the wreck of the old Yamato, but assumed it was a derelict and would have ignored it, were it not for the UNCF fighters buzzing around after the protagonist crashed-landed a Cosmo Zero he took for a joyride. A canvas covering over the wreck would make it even more obvious that the pale-skinned savages were up to something major, and made it an even bigger target.
    Not to mention Yamato isnt exactly big to begin with, just 260-ish meters...

Bigger isn't always better.

According to the producer's commentary, the Yamato was originally going to used as part of the Izumo plan, to ship a small selection of Earth's best and brightest to another planet where they could start over. Once Queen Starsha contacted Earth and provided them with plans for the Wave Motion Drive, the small selection of colonists were quickly replaced with combat-ready UNCF personnel.

Essentially, the primary purpose of the UNCF BBY-01 Yamato is to just bring back the magical MacGuffin needed to restore Earth, so it doesn't need to be very big. It just also happens to have quite a few cannons and missiles.
    Oh and Space battleship Iowa is urgent needed. Preferably with a Space carrier Enterprise.

As mentioned previously:
    sumghai wrote: »
    - Again, producer commentary for 2199 also adds that besides Japan the US, Russia, China, UK and Germany were all in fact also building their own space battleships in response to the offer of assistance from Iscandar. The handwave is that Japan's ship was the closest to completion, so the UN let Japan have the core first (but in exchange, Japan was asked to sacrifice its First Fleet for Operation M - a diversion action to allow the Iscandarian messenger to slip through Gamilias ships blockading the Solar System)

Furthermore, I even recall the UNCF Arizona, St Petersburg, Prince of Wales and Bismarck being off-handedly mentioned as alternative candidates for the Wave Motion Core. It's just that the Japanese in-story got their ship finished first.

• dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    Huh? Wave motion cores now? Dangit, I'm behind the times...
    Shouldn't Yamatos wreck have large rust holes everywhere, a giant piece of canvas offers better camo than a piece of rust. Not to mention Yamato isnt exactly big to begin with, just 260-ish meters...

And Trek's ToS Connie's just 289 meters... :wink: Not everyone has the resources, time, and availability to build Galaxies or even Soverigns on a daily basis...

I think someone said Space Battleship Arizona is the US entry, not Iowa. And considering the lore, Arizona's the better choice (due to being sunk and an excellent piece of cover like the Yamato is) and I'm honestly less worried about which battleship is converted as long as a ship is converted.

Which is also why I'm against the "Space Carrier Enterprise" - from the fact that just about every battleship carries fighters, Yamato has what, 2-3 squadrons of fighters herself - the Cosmo Tigers - along with the shock cannons replacing the standard deck guns, the anti-aircraft lazers taking place of the "regular" AA guns, and racks of missiles that the Space Carrier Enterprise would have a hard time mounting (and where, exactly would the barrel of the Wave Motion Gun end? Just under the deck? Oh, that and the Enterprise is like the Iowa, never sunk so it's not exactly sitting half in the ground where oceans used to be before the planet bombs evaporated them all...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
    edited July 2015
    dareau wrote: »
    I think someone said Space Battleship Arizona is the US entry, not Iowa. And considering the lore, Arizona's the better choice (due to being sunk and an excellent piece of cover like the Yamato is) and I'm honestly less worried about which battleship is converted as long as a ship is converted.

Incidentally, I did find a piece of unofficial fanart of the US Space Force USS Arizona:

ARIZONA2199.jpg