test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Should the coming Armada system allow cross-faction groupings of fleets?

Comments

• protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    Yes! But only if all fleets involved in an Armada have a single RRF character in the top fleet rank.
    reximuz wrote: »
    Yet you willingly hurt your faction by arguing to stick with a broken faction system that doesn't and has never worked. It would help KDF to not be segmented from the majority of players, which just forces more players to the Fed side, because they want to be able to find teams to run content and viable fleets.
    the only people hurting the kdf are cryptic, by constantly pandering to the feddie crybabies that want it all on their fieedie mains.
    how would allowing feds to build kdf starbases solve the false team dilemma or otherwise help the kdf?
    the kdf doesnt need the help of feds to build starbases. i can think of a dozen orgs with one or more t5 kdf starbases as it is. we also manage to team, using kdf-centric channels and the like.
    more evidence that nonkdf seemingly think they see a problem in the kdf and they have the answer. and of course that answer includes allowing them to nation-build kdf-side without needing to even log into the faction.​​

Let me repeat this again:
    protogoth wrote: »
    The whole point is that it's NOT just "red vs blue" anymore (and never really was). Stop the false dilemma. It's detrimental to society and minds. Almost every question has at least three answers. I'm neither red nor blue; I'm green, and proud of that distinction. Unfortunately, the Devs didn't see fit to make the distinction sufficient for it to be more than identity, and instead insisted on maintaining the false dilemma. I don't want to be Fed or KDF. I want to be Romulan.

For me, and for several others, this is more about the RRF than it is about either your precious KDF or the teacher's pet.
  • nucaeksnucaeks Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    No! Separatism all the way!
    I think I don't really understand the Romulan aspect of this. Fleets are either KDF or Federation. There is no such thing as a "Romulan Fleet" outside of restricting membership to those of the Romulan race. To expect a wholesale cross faction fleet system for the sake of one race seems pretty demanding.​​
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    nucaeks wrote: »
    I think I don't really understand the Romulan aspect of this. Fleets are either KDF or Federation. There is no such thing as a "Romulan Fleet" outside of restricting membership to those of the Romulan race. To expect a wholesale cross faction fleet system for the sake of one race seems pretty demanding.​​

And that's pretty much all this thread is...
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Yes! We're all allied now anyway!

It is just one aspect of why cross-faction armadas would be a cool thing.
    - The ability to have Romulan Characters of KDF and FED fleets work closer to gether
    - The ability to represent cross-faction cooperations ("Joint Fleet Operations") from a story point of view
    - The ability to represent friendships between cross-faction fleets mechanically/logistically
    - The ability to bring sister fleets closer together mechanically/logistically

The whole Armada system allows a higher level of cooperation between fleets. If there are already existing relations between fleets, should their faction really matter here all that much?

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.

- The ability to have Romulan Characters of KDF and FED fleets work closer to gether
    - The ability to represent cross-faction cooperations ("Joint Fleet Operations") from a story point of view
    - The ability to represent friendships between cross-faction fleets mechanically/logistically

The whole Armada system allows a higher level of cooperation between fleets. If there are already existing relations between fleets, should their faction really matter here all that much?

KRoms and FRoms can...

Donate to sister fleets via characters in each faction. The KRom can move Dil and Commodities to the FRom and vice versa. That's already there.
    It's not difficult to create a chat channel for both the KRom and FRom fleets to use.

So...they can work together, they can cooperate, they can work the story, they can develop friendships, they can be as close as they want to be...already.

Which could lead to one asking why would anybody be opposed to it if that can be done already?

Cause it's not just about that - folks were doing that with KDF/Fed fleets before there were Roms and folks were doing that with Roms once they were introduced.

It's about the additional benefits that come from the Armada system that are being introduced - the Dil discount and the SP bonus.

Which is where it gets into whether it is something meant to foster community or to foster cliques, yeah?

A KDF Armada and a Fed Armada working together - that's getting into a community, yeah? More folks sort of thing, right? Everything that folks have been able to do - being able to continue doing that - on a community scale.

Going through and making it so the same small group of folks with toons on both sides are able to do things - that's a clique - that's not community.

Which goes back to the beginning of this thread and the inclusion of the Romulan bit...it's not about community - it's about cliques. It's separation and discrimination under the guise of being open and community driven...and that's just meh all over the place.
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I think I don't really understand the Romulan aspect of this. Fleets are either KDF or Federation. There is no such thing as a "Romulan Fleet" outside of restricting membership to those of the Romulan race. To expect a wholesale cross faction fleet system for the sake of one race seems pretty demanding.

-a faction merge for the sake of romulans (of which there are even fewer of than kdf) is not something i support.
    -fleet names already make it clear which fed fleet belongs to which kdf fleet. protogoths fleets are a great example of that.
    -a global channel is already a great way to bring sister fleets together

most of the people voting 'yes' in this poll arent even romulans. quite a few have piped up and openly stated they are feds and hope to use their feds to feed their empty kdf starbase.
    A KDF Armada and a Fed Armada working together - that's getting into a community, yeah? More folks sort of thing, right? Everything that folks have been able to do - being able to continue doing that - on a community scale.

Going through and making it so the same small group of folks with toons on both sides are able to do things - that's a clique - that's not community.

and this could be a very interesting thing! looking at beautiful as an example, we can easily alpha two kdf armadas, and im talking effectively alpha, meaning we have the active players and the resources to make it worth the while of betas and gammas to join our armadas.
    fed-side though... although we have a t5 fed starbase, we likely wont have the horsepower to be an effective alpha fleet. we may be looking to instead position ourselves as a t5 beta in an armada with stronger fleet as alpha. possibly even set up a reciprocal relationship where we beta fed and they beta kdf.
    these are the kinds of extrafleet relationships we have entered into before; we will use your kdf fleet as a mule if you use our fed fleet as your mule.
    we dont need cross-faction armadas at all.​​
  • eighrichteeighrichte Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    Yes, for sure. Many fleets already have a cross-faction counterpart for alts. Allowing players to keep their characters bundled up in the same armada is a significant QOL gain.
    Yes! But only if all fleets involved in an Armada have a single RRF character in the top fleet rank.

KRoms and FRoms can...

Donate to sister fleets via characters in each faction. The KRom can move Dil and Commodities to the FRom and vice versa. That's already there.
    It's not difficult to create a chat channel for both the KRom and FRom fleets to use.

So...they can work together, they can cooperate, they can work the story, they can develop friendships, they can be as close as they want to be...already.

Which could lead to one asking why would anybody be opposed to it if that can be done already?

Cause it's not just about that - folks were doing that with KDF/Fed fleets before there were Roms and folks were doing that with Roms once they were introduced.

It's about the additional benefits that come from the Armada system that are being introduced - the Dil discount and the SP bonus.

Which is where it gets into whether it is something meant to foster community or to foster cliques, yeah?

Which goes back to the beginning of this thread and the inclusion of the Romulan bit...it's not about community - it's about cliques. It's separation and discrimination under the guise of being open and community driven...and that's just meh all over the place.

Uh, no. It's us asking to be given some measure of equity on par with the other factions. And no, it's not "a race." As I have pointed out above, "Romulan" is only one species in the RRF. We also have Remans and Aliens (and should have Suliban and Acamarians, since those are RRF DOffs, but so far, they're not even available as BOffs, let alone player characters).

It is about community, for the RRF. Why begrudge us something you have, and then accuse us of discrimination? You have the same thing I'm asking for. So are you guilty of discrimination for wanting the "cliques" that already exist, and opposing the same for another group?

As I have also stated repeatedly, I don't want to be KDF, I don't want to be Fed, I want to be RRF.

And for all the things we can already do, how many things are there we can't do? Just one example: How does my main character ever do anything with the Dil Mine or Embassy Provisions she got from Lockboxes, when our Dil Mine is finished and our Embassy is about to be finished?

For what it's worth, in the thread this thread was born from, I was arguing for cross-faction Armadas, without restriction, but some seemed to be expressing the view that it should be done for RRF only, which is why I added that option to the poll and why I voted that way, since, frankly, that's all I care about anyway, getting the RRF up on something more like what the other factions have. But I'll be content if cross-faction armadas are a thing available to all, just as much as I will if they're available to RRF only. I see this as an opportunity for facilitating full-faction status for the RRF. Don't tell me that the Devs said no. I'm aware. I'm also aware that they've said no to other things which we later got in spite of their having said no.
    edited July 2015
    and this could be a very interesting thing! looking at beautiful as an example, we can easily alpha two kdf armadas, and im talking effectively alpha, meaning we have the active players and the resources to make it worth the while of betas and gammas to join our armadas.
    fed-side though... although we have a t5 fed starbase, we likely wont have the horsepower to be an effective alpha fleet. we may be looking to instead position ourselves as a t5 beta in an armada with stronger fleet as alpha. possibly even set up a reciprocal relationship where we beta fed and they beta kdf.
    these are the kinds of extrafleet relationships we have entered into before; we will use your kdf fleet as a mule if you use our fed fleet as your mule.
    we dont need cross-faction armadas at all.​​

So in other words, you're actually fine with cross-faction armadas, as long as everyone has to go to extra effort in order to circumvent the extant faction separatism. Why not do away with the need to circumvent and instead have a system in place to allow it? Your objection has just become considerably more irrational.
    we dont need cross-faction armadas at all.

So in other words, you're actually fine with cross-faction armadas, as long as everyone has to go to extra effort in order to circumvent the extant faction separatism. Why not do away with the need to circumvent and instead have a system in place to allow it? Your objection has just become considerably more irrational.
    because in my example the bases are being built in-faction and arent actually armadas.
    i dont see anything irrational about it at all. its a current solution that is mutually beneficial to both factions.​​
    It is about community, for the RRF. Why begrudge us something you have, and then accuse us of discrimination? You have the same thing I'm asking for. So are you guilty of discrimination for wanting the "cliques" that already exist, and opposing the same for another group?

Again, it's quite simple...you did the poll...it's right there.

---No! Separatism all the way!
    ---Yes! We're all allied now anyway!
    ---Yes! But only if all fleets involved in an Armada have a single RRF character in the top fleet rank.

That third part? That's simple discrimination. No discrimination would have been just the first two. You didn't do the first two.

There are both Fed and KDF Klingons...somebody wanted a Klingon cross-faction Armada? Well, they're not special in your eyes...not like the Romulans. Aliens? Liberated Borg? Talaxians? Nope, just the Romulans.

You're the one pushing for "cliques"...Romulans.

If you read through what I said there, you'd see I pointed out how community could be built for Armadas much in the same way community was built for Fleets. Folks could grow Armadas on both sides...could grow the community on both sides and foster the community as a whole.

Take a look at your vote there in your poll, eh? Romulans...

...and it's as simple as that.

You don't want equal. You want more.

It's kind of trippy that this is a discussion about the coming Armada system in STO...when the attitude you're showing is a pretty common one out there for all sorts of other discussions. Folks not interested in actual equality...wanting more instead and attacking anybody that suggests equality instead. Definitely kind of trippy.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited July 2015
    the only people hurting the kdf are cryptic, by constantly pandering to the feddie crybabies that want it all on their feddie mains.
    normally I would agree with that, but not here on this topic
    how would allowing feds to build kdf starbases solve the false team dilemma or otherwise help the kdf?
    the kdf doesnt need the help of feds to build starbases. i can think of a dozen orgs with one or more t5 kdf starbases as it is. we also manage to team, using kdf-centric channels and the like.
    more evidence that nonkdf seemingly think they see a problem in the kdf and they have the answer. and of course that answer includes allowing them to nation-build kdf-side without needing to even log into the faction.​​
    Not everyone will be fed side building kdf bases, as I mentioned before, some of us will be kdf side building up fed bases. Aint that just a pisser in yer cheerios?
  • claudiusdkclaudiusdk Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    Cross-faction grouping should be allowed even without the Armada system.
    "Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons."
    Spock to Kirk, as Kirk is about to hug him.
    Star Trek V: "The Final Frontier"
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    Incidentally, my stance is not that Cryptic should drop everything and make the Armada system cross-faction.

My stance is that if they find themselves doing work under the hood in other aspects of the game where it would be convenient to pivot into this, it would be wasteful for them not to consider this because it has more pros than cons.

I think mission replay should be cross-faction as well and get a reward tuning. In theory, all mission replay is billed as simulations by Cryptic anyway and mission replay needs love to justify making cool and expensive missions and further support bugfixes and enhancements of existing missions.

I think mission replay rewards need love. I think replay (as opposed to initial play) should not require travel. Rewards are reduced. I think replay should be cross faction since replay is either simulation (as it has been billed since they added it) or time travel (which is one thing I always favored).

Actually, I have a much more involved idea for mission replay as a forward thinking system that would get into player housing, customization, and choice. But a part of that is, we get railroaded on missions by story necessity but if the replays are either simulations or not part of the original timeline, branching choices could be opened up for replay without influencing the larger game world. Characters have to live, die, be captured, escape, or advance in certain ways to keep the open world elements semi-consistent. (This is actually one reason Cryptic abandoned plans to kill Quinn and J'mpok according to one interview I heard.) I don't think replays need to be so constrained. Opening up replays has big sandbox content potential... and if you're doing that, you can open up faction teaming on replays only to get more out of it... and if you're doing that then fleet armadas across factions start to gain appeal and mechanical feasibility because of other design decisions you'd be making.

Again, it's quite simple...you did the poll...it's right there.

---No! Separatism all the way!
    ---Yes! We're all allied now anyway!
    ---Yes! But only if all fleets involved in an Armada have a single RRF character in the top fleet rank.

That third part? That's simple discrimination. No discrimination would have been just the first two. You didn't do the first two.

There are both Fed and KDF Klingons...somebody wanted a Klingon cross-faction Armada? Well, they're not special in your eyes...not like the Romulans. Aliens? Liberated Borg? Talaxians? Nope, just the Romulans.

You're the one pushing for "cliques"...Romulans.

If you read through what I said there, you'd see I pointed out how community could be built for Armadas much in the same way community was built for Fleets. Folks could grow Armadas on both sides...could grow the community on both sides and foster the community as a whole.

Take a look at your vote there in your poll, eh? Romulans...

...and it's as simple as that.

You don't want equal. You want more.

It's kind of trippy that this is a discussion about the coming Armada system in STO...when the attitude you're showing is a pretty common one out there for all sorts of other discussions. Folks not interested in actual equality...wanting more instead and attacking anybody that suggests equality instead. Definitely kind of trippy.

And I've stated repeatedly that I would be fine if it were unlimited cross-faction, and that I was advocating that in the thread this thread was born from, only switching to what I added as the third option in the poll as a result of things said in that other thread, and being willing to accept the limitation on others if it would at least be taken off RRF personnel. To attempt to characterize my position as opposition to equality or as discrimination, that's what's "kind of trippy." But your attempt to twist my openness into discrimination followed fast on the heels of someone else on your side of the poll sticking his foot in his mouth, so I suspect that this is all an attempt to divert the justly-earned outrage from what he said back onto me (as well as your own belief that the RRF shouldn't even exist, which, as I pointed out previously, is on record in a public poll in this very forum). Most of what you've said here doesn't deserve a response, but I will note that, as usual, the opponents of equality trot out their "you don't want equal, you want special" nonsense.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    claudiusdk wrote: »
    Cross-faction grouping should be allowed even without the Armada system.

This as well. The current state of the game does in no way justify not being able to cross-faction team-up. Cross-faction armadas would just be the logical next step, being "fleet groups".

The way I see it is that this debate isn't really a debate at all. We have arguments for cross-faction armadas and diffuse "feelings" of it being wrong on the other side (tehbubbaloo specifically said less people logging in KDF side was not the issue, which is a point I could see as valid although I still don't see why fed players would level KDF assets when they don't want to play KDF at all) with the preference of the current status quo that will change nothing. But we also have to acknowledge that this status quo is what we will get, at least initially. Armadas will not be cross-faction at first, which is confirmed.

Wether or not this hypothetical grouping should rely on certain kinds of characters is indeed a point not helping anyone. The STO community needs cooperation, not separation as the ship on getting unique factions sailed. This is not going to happen. We will also not see a Romulan faction (sorry protogoth and others. I would have liked a true 3 faction game like DAOC, but that's not STO). Romulans are but a cross-faction character "class" choice and they are, by in-game logic, fed or kdf (the Romulan faction, by in-game logic, ceases to exist after completing the Romulan story arc and while being in that faction you are locked out of the game) - usually mission texts don't even recognize you are "Romulan". We have a definite stance from Geko that STO will never, ever be a three faction game - granted, stances can change, but I personally think STO will not make that change as they would have to deal with too many problems "taking" all the faction specific things from Romulan characters, they had to deal with people wanting to keep the status quo and crying about their investments and so forth. Maybe if there's a successor, but not the current game. Having a "Romulan" fleet is just out-of-game RP and we indeed have more RP groups that had legitimate claims to be portrayed as a faction. So I can understand the confusion the poll choice presumably reserving that feature for "Romulans" causes. I understand why it is included but since having cross-faction armadas do the exact same the option seems superflous and should have just be left out because then we wouldn't see destracting fights offside of the "battlefield" (pardon that image).
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    Have you any idea how ridiculous that sounds?
    no, i dont. care to elaborate?

​​
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited July 2015

I think this Armada idea is brilliant but seriously flawed as it stands by omitting the KDF fleets. I understand there are technical reasons behind this omission, however I would strongly urge Cryptic to make the necessary changes to allow KDF fleets to join the Fed Armada prior to launching this system on holodeck

So say we all.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Not really, just from the perspective that this is a game, it's not real. The fuss you are making about this is quite disproportionate to the question in my opinion, I think you are making yourself look silly. Still you can write what you like I guess, free country and all that.

Indeed. I cannot relate to the mindset of people that start to get emotional about a videogame (other than liking, disliking it or being excited or disappointed about something related to it). As players of this game we all are the same. There is no "us" and "them" which a lot of human beings seemingly deperately need. If people now start using the pronoun "we" when they talk about in-game factions outside of designated roleplay threads I do raise an eyebrow which quite a few people on both sides of this argument did in this thread and the forum in general. It's a little bit... alienating.

lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    Have you any idea how ridiculous that sounds?
    no, i dont. care to elaborate?

Not really, just from the perspective that this is a game, it's not real. The fuss you are making about this is quite disproportionate to the question in my opinion, I think you are making yourself look silly. Still you can write what you like I guess, free country and all that.

i could say the same exact thing about people getting into heated debate in favour of cross-faction armadas.
    'why are you starting these threads and polls and arguing? its just a game. get a life'​​
  • ak255ak255 Member Posts: 317 Arc User
    I don't even understand why there's a difference in factions anymore with this whole Delta "Alliance" thing we got going. Hell, it doesn't even feel like an alliance. I mean, why does every new ship in the ZEN store now have it like: Federation, no cloak. Klingons, cloak. Romulans, battle cloak. So glad the Romulans want to help in this war to save the entire galaxy in this alliance by NOT SHARING BATTLE CLOAK TECHNOLOGY!!! Why even play as Fed or Klingon anymore if all the factions are just gonna get the same damn ships now, but Romulans still get the upper edge in the end anyways?
  • sovereign010sovereign010 Member Posts: 636 Arc User
    We should definitely have cross-faction armadas. When your fleet belonging to one faction is maxed and your fleet belonging to the other is lagging behind it would be helpful to both- the members of the larger fleet will be able to generate fleet credits more easily while the members of the smaller fleet will be able to get access to higher-level items they otherwise wouldn't be able to. It's win-win for all concerned.
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    Should it be possible in the upcoming Armada system for fleets to group together in spite of faction/alliance?
    How about fleets which have a single RRF character in the top fleet rank?

tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    He he I see Bort is in the no camp. Come on Bort, don't be a lazy bones, give the people what they want, will send you a bag of cookies all the way from good old blighty! ;)

I think Bort's in the "no" camp because he's the one who would have to program this, frankly...
    ak255 wrote: »
    I don't even understand why there's a difference in factions anymore with this whole Delta "Alliance" thing we got going. Hell, it doesn't even feel like an alliance. I mean, why does every new ship in the ZEN store now have it like: Federation, no cloak. Klingons, cloak. Romulans, battle cloak. So glad the Romulans want to help in this war to save the entire galaxy in this alliance by NOT SHARING BATTLE CLOAK TECHNOLOGY!!! Why even play as Fed or Klingon anymore if all the factions are just gonna get the same damn ships now, but Romulans still get the upper edge in the end anyways?
    You're overestimating the usefulness of battle cloak. My Fed's T6 Galaxy gets better DPS than my Fed Rom's Aehlal.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    He he I see Bort is in the no camp. Come on Bort, don't be a lazy bones, give the people what they want, will send you a bag of cookies all the way from good old blighty! ;)
    I think Bort's in the "no" camp because he's the one who would have to program this, frankly...

Speculating on why a Dev agrees or disagrees with something is a slippery slope that has led to a lot of rumors and hatred in the past. Unless they decide to throw in with their two cents on why, a "No" is just a "No".
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    eighrichte wrote: »
    Yes, for sure. Many fleets already have a cross-faction counterpart for alts. Allowing players to keep their characters bundled up in the same armada is a significant QOL gain.

Agreed. Many fleets already have a secondary fleet in the other faction under the same banner, many players already have alt Captains in several different fleets across both factions. As far as I am concerned cross faction armadas are already a thing and have been for ages, might as well have them properly represented in game too.