test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So when does the war start?

foolishowlfoolishowl Member Posts: 102 Arc User
That is, of course, a rhetorical statement. But there really seems to be a distinct mismatch between the scale of the conflict implied by all the WWII-style posters and the short fiction on the official website, and the limited in-game content about the conflict with the Iconians: three PvE queues depicting skirmishes, and a few episodes that seem very short. The conflict with the Vaadwaur, a small group of survivors that was massively outnumbered and outgunned by the Delta Alliance, was much more extensive. (Also, Vaadwaur forces seemed far more effective than the Heralds.)

The writing seems to imply that the war rapidly escalated, and is actually nearing a final resolution. Yet the in-game experience seems to suggest that the conflict has barely started, that they're just starting on the exposition.

In the current weekly episode, we heard an Iconian say that the Herald fleet inside the Dyson sphere had been contained. Given that when introduced, the size of that fleet was supposed to be incomprehensibly vast, the fact that it's been contained would seem to be a matter of huge importance. So what happened?

At the very least, I would have expected new Red Alert missions involving Herald forces.

I just don't understand why the hype continues to escalate, even as we're getting hints the entire thing is ending.
Post edited by foolishowl on

Comments

• szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    foolishowl wrote: »
    So when does the war start?

Tomorrow afternoon, 4 o'clock. :D

I agree with you. At least there should be a Red Alert/Invasion Alert of some kind. Or some sector blocks in which you would encounter Iconian fleets at random.

But then the Klingon-Federation war wasn't any different. In fact when they decided to end the war you really couldn't tell the difference.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    the klingon-federation war on sto was nothing more then a minor border skirmish, hardly worth calling it a war. now you got the iconian war which looks almost identical to the fed-kdf border skirmishes. at least with the voth you are actually fighting for control in a very minor area and its very dangerous, bloody arena of mindless headcases looking to throw themselves into the grinder, head first with glee...
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    The War started before the timeframe of the game.

If you'll recall, the Klingon-Gorn conflict of 2400 involved the Undine infiltrating the Gorn command structure. They were being indirectly influenced by the Iconians. Heck for that matter, Hobus exploding and taking out the Romulan homeworld 30 years prior to that was supposed to be caused by Iconian influence.

But yeah, I agree - the DIRECT war against the Iconians could use a shot in the arm. It seems you have to go out of your way to involve yourself in it at this point. Switching the quadrant-wide Red Alert from Borg to Heralds would definitely be a step in the right direction.

Other than that, I think this current Season is merely the Iconian War Part 1. Part 2 will come with the next update.
    what would switch this "war" on, is contested sectors where the iconians have this and that sector under control, the allies and independents have control of this and that zone. all on the astrometrics ma[ like colorful puzzle pieces to define territory taken. iconian npcs can invade sectors and players can fight back, randon space npc ambushes by heralds can take place in DSEs and they chase like the old sector space npcs used to. even in RA's with tholians and borg, the heralds can randomly show up if they choose to. attack all sides.

but it shows just what the design of this "war" is really about when it got to the design boards. id like to actually see a war taking place. not in isolated pocket stories with the FEs where you dont feel as if your apart of the war.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    So what to do about those toons who aren't even close to this whole "war" thing?
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    They failed to bring us a war. To me its nothing more than a skirmish. The Voth and Vaadwuar brought us a real fight/war.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    The Iconian Skirmish is soon coming to an end. We were on vacation on Risa. You know a captain needs a little R&R sometimes...
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • picard51picard51 Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    xyquarze wrote: »
    So what to do about those toons who aren't even close to this whole "war" thing?

Nothing. If your alt is behind that's tough. You could just keep anyone under vice admiral from being able to enter the encounters? Otherwise, just play through the episodes as they are now. People at max level shouldn't have to lose immersion so new players and people's alts can feel comfortable. The needs of the many and all that.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Won't be installed for next tuesday?
    the klingon-federation war on sto was nothing more then a minor border skirmish, hardly worth calling it a war. now you got the iconian war which looks almost identical to the fed-kdf border skirmishes. at least with the voth you are actually fighting for control in a very minor area and its very dangerous, bloody arena of mindless headcases looking to throw themselves into the grinder, head first with glee...

The Fed/KDF war at least used to have Deep Space Signal Contacts of enemy ships and stuff like that. Used to only, of course.

The DSEs I mentioned - they were exactly like that - they were still going on even when the war was over, and your character that was fighting side by side with the KDF for a while now could be blowing up KDF vessels by the dozen in there.

If in doubt, they can just lock characters that haven't completed the Vaudwaur arc out of these missions. Just as you have to unlock the Tau Dewa and Delta Quadrant patrols. And I think you can't get into Tholian Red Alerts before you're high enough level either.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • thelordofshadesthelordofshades Member Posts: 258 Arc User
    Because there is NO actual full-scale war as according to story episodes.

Both sides conduct limited forces operations.
    The Alliance doesn't have the fire-power to stand against even the Heralds alone - in the series of 4 battles (Starbase whatever-its-number, New Romulus, Preserver Archive, Qonos) they lost 1/4 of the fleet. So any attempt of direct attack with a whole fleet on Iconians/Heralds will have a sad end. (And there are also Elachi, Solanae, Vaudwaar out there).
    And the Iconians have other goals than going on a full-blown offensive against the Federation, Romulan Republic, Klingon Empire and their allies as we see from the Iconian council meeting.

So Cryptic writing is a bit contradictory within itself. Some "Tales of War" episodes for instance hint that there is some bigger war going on - but it is not supported by the in-game story and other "Tales of War" episodes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    I said at least once already that the Iconian War should look like the Reaper War in Mass Effect 3. We should be seeing random Herald incursions all over the galaxy, wounded NPCs lying on cots the decks of starbases (having overflowed from sickbay, understand).

But instead we get two or three episodes and some blog posts going, yeah, war hard and terrible, blah blah blah.
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    I think the problem with handling this war is the idea that, to make it believable, you have to go balls-to-the-wall extreme, with major changes, hub worlds ravaged, maybe a familiar spot or two nuked into oblivion. Essentially make the Iconian War the Trek version of WoW: Cataclysm or, probably more accurately, the MMO version of the Star Trek: Destiny novel series.

Why haven't we? IMO, I think it's the idea that new players want to come into a game with everything intact. It's a Prime-verse game, thus we know that Romulus is no longer there. "But, wait a minute, where's Andoria? Why is Qo'nos a smoldering pile when I go to get my next mission? Wait, what's an Iconian? Where did DS9 go? I have to be Level 60 to find out? TRIBBLE this!"

It's easy for us, who are already at Level 60 and gotten the story so far, to suggest all of this and wonder why it's not bigger, but for the players who are coming in and are flabbergasted at the major changes that doesn't make a lick of sense until they reach endgame, it would be off-putting.
  • waldotrekwaldotrek Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    I think Red Alerts game wide would help. Also maybe have lesser know worlds that aren't necessary to the game or story arcs "up for grabs" that forces could fight over. Just my 2 cents
    Former Moderator 10-28-16
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I think the problem with handling this war is the idea that, to make it believable, you have to go balls-to-the-wall extreme, with major changes, hub worlds ravaged, maybe a familiar spot or two nuked into oblivion. Essentially make the Iconian War the Trek version of WoW: Cataclysm or, probably more accurately, the MMO version of the Star Trek: Destiny novel series.

Why haven't we? IMO, I think it's the idea that new players want to come into a game with everything intact. It's a Prime-verse game, thus we know that Romulus is no longer there. "But, wait a minute, where's Andoria? Why is Qo'nos a smoldering pile when I go to get my next mission? Wait, what's an Iconian? Where did DS9 go? I have to be Level 60 to find out? TRIBBLE this!"

It's easy for us, who are already at Level 60 and gotten the story so far, to suggest all of this and wonder why it's not bigger, but for the players who are coming in and are flabbergasted at the major changes that doesn't make a lick of sense until they reach endgame, it would be off-putting.

Except Cryptic's already demonstrated that they can actively change the player's perception of the game based on storyline completion. When you get out of "Uneasy Allies" you find that the Iconia System has been replaced by the Herald Sphere, whereas it was just a star system before that.

Couple that with "Surface Tension" detecting whether players had gone through the old Fed tutorial or the new one (R'rak's dialog when you first beam onto ESD is different). They can also do it by level: as somebody observed already, Tholian Red Alerts are just Borg Red Alerts until you hit level 50. "Surface Tension" and "Uneasy Allies" also demonstrated that Cryptic can provide unique options for particular species: In ST a Bajoran PC can tell Rugan Skyl to sit his racist TRIBBLE$ down and shut up, while UA lets telepathic species try to mind-probe Sela.

So, as you see, Cryptic has all the code they need to make this war actually feel like a war for players who have reached that point. They'd just rather be like Berman and Braga and have the war be a minor part of the storyline instead of the universe-changing cataclysm it deserves to be. (For reference, B&B initially greenlit the Dominion War on condition it be five or six episodes, and Ira Steven Behr and Ron Moore decided to just keep going while B&B were distracted f*cking up Voyager.)
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I spent over 5 years fighting a war with the Klingons that primarily had me chasing around B'Vat's schemes and very little else. I have spent nearly 6 years now fighting a Borg invasion that primarily consists of a handful of missions.

At the end of the day I did not expect the Iconian War to be any bigger then the Klingon War or the Borg War.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Well, we are fighting off the exact same Borg invasion for five years now. The whole "super deperate times blah blah" thing just doesn't work well in a static enviroment. Besides, I wouldn't want non-optional changes of that magnitude. Frankly, I don't care about the storyline of STO. I don't like it, I play missions pretty much for rewards only, and one time to see how the missions are designed - there are some fun missions in the game or some nice maps but the whole iconian thing bored me from the start. If that super bad desperate war would mean I had to constantly fight off stupid Iconians or only visit super grim and desolated social zones I wouldn't like that at all. I'd wish for procedually created open-end endgame at one point, not a constant change.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou

They need a ground battle zone, red alerts, and random enemy encounters. However if its Iconian, they need a warning pop up. Saying your not of level or not finished the required missions. This way you won't accidentally get involved.

I would be happy with the battle zone, red alert/enemy encounters. So I can at least say I'm trying to fight them off for RPing. What we have now, I can't RP it saying we are at war.

• sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    The problem is that they wouldn't want to create persistent aspects of the game that are not going to be used indefinitely. So showing space stations and other placed damaged and with wounded is probably too much work for something that will only make sense for a limited time. I do think they could do red alerts or deep space encounters, however. If it's over in 2 to 3 more months it probably doesn't make sense to do it now, but we could have been having them since the beginning of the war.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• thelordofshadesthelordofshades Member Posts: 258 Arc User
    hub worlds ravaged, maybe a familiar spot or two nuked into oblivion. Essentially make the Iconian War the Trek version of WoW: Cataclysm

For that we need some other Iconians with different storyline and goals from that we see now.

Remember this exchange from "Time in a Bottle"
    "T-Ket - We should render their worlds asunder ! Spill their lifeblood until it fills the oceans! It is time to strike."
    (This basically what you are proposing she's talking about - destruction of key worlds, death of thousands and millions of Alliance citizens etc. By the way, it is interesting that if T'ket is proposing this the Iconians are apparently quite sure that they HAVE the ability to do just that).
    But other Iconian council members are apparently not thrilled with this idea:
    "L'Miren - I understand you want vengeance, but we must not act in haste.
    M'Tara - We will continue with our plan. The Whole must be as one.
    Thus the Iconian council rejects the T'Ket's idea of global "balls-to-the-wall", as you put it, offensive. They prefer to stick to the original plan whatever this plan is.
    (And this actually another important moment - apparently everything is still mostly going in accordance with the Iconian master plan despite things we have done previously, including thwarting the attempt to bring in Solanae).

• zobovorzobovor Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I think the Iconians should make WWII posters ... , or even a podcast !

I mean it ! Seriously !!!
    See, it's like this :
    The Iconian war has two problems : a lack of an actual war (supplemented by a one sided Blogger war) , and a distinct lack of characters & characterization on the Iconians side .

Or to put it more simply, there is no one to hate over there ... .
    They are just THAT MUCH of a blank slate .
    They stunningly remind me of the Elachi ... -- the lights are on, but nobody's home .
    Thus the entire ending of a supposed 5 year story arc gets experienced like a resounding thudd ... , not only because you're left with no emotional impact , but also because of the "one episode a month" type content delivery of the current "administration" .

See, 1 ep. per month would work in a TNG like story telling .
    It does not work with a DS9 like story telling .
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    zobovor wrote: »
    The Iconian war has two problems : a lack of an actual war (supplemented by a one sided Blogger war) , and a distinct lack of characters & characterization on the Iconians side .

Or to put it more simply, there is no one to hate over there ... .
    They are just THAT MUCH of a blank slate .
    They stunningly remind me of the Elachi ... -- the lights are on, but nobody's home .

I think they are addressing the characterization issue slowly.

Take for example, M'Tara's cold-blooded murder of the harmless Preserver (and then the entire Preserver archive population). That got my attention on how evil she could be (as opposed to her killing the Klingon Council members in the previous FE. That could have been interpreted as defending herself since they were acting aggressively). I guess you could say this murder actually made me hate her...and by association the rest of the Iconians (L'Miren seemingly being the only symphathetic one in the bunch so far).

This puts them way ahead of the Mushroom-men. The Elachi truly are faceless, characterless cannon-fodder.
    This puts them way ahead of the Mushroom-men. The Elachi truly are faceless, characterless cannon-fodder.

Even though faceless and characterless. After what my Romulan saw what they was doing to the people. That was enough. Even today she wants to punch their faces in.

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    I LOL-ed. Indeed, still waiting for this Mother of all Wars my own self. :) And I recently looked up at the sky, but the sun didn't appear 'blotted out' with Heralds at all.

Seriously, I wish the Heralds were more invasive. Surprise-attacks on ESD and such.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited July 2015
    Won't be installed for next tuesday?

The Fed/KDF war at least used to have Deep Space Signal Contacts of enemy ships and stuff like that. Used to only, of course.

your key words right there. and since they were removed it became somewhat pointless. i liked watching dse npc ships in sector space finding victims in space, was funny to watch and moments later that person is hightailing it for sol!