test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Banners should be no higher than 200px?

meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
I never thought I'd be the one suggesting it, as I *love* banners, but I think the current allowed format is just too much. I think banners should be no higher than 200px (and preferably non-animated; but it's really the huge height that makes animated ones easily obnoxious).
3lsZz0w.jpg

Banners should be no higher than 200px? 63 votes

Banners shouldn't be higher than max 200px
39%
qziqzarahmkota19guljarolreximuzsmeeinn1ttimelord79daniela1055mjarbarartan42hyplvelquakitsunesnoutblitzy4rmy1081kodachikunosumghaiscarlingangrytargnyasayathatcursedwolf 25 votes
Banner can stay 'as is', far as I'm concerned
26%
alethkiraenoldravenman3025dabelgravenynikkimonysopwithsnipekjwashingtoncidjackbloodyrizdenizyurukwarmaker001biconiansmainagameversemanfleetsolvanguardlagomorphicrickdanko 17 votes
Banners shouldn't be higher than max 200px AND be non-animated
33%
lan451virusdancerr5e4w3q2kurumimorishitachampionshewolfmustrumridcully0meimeitoosysil84alexmakepeacepotasssiumianto3084tunebreakercomdrivervoporakdefalusconkav22nightcrawler1983mrspidey2xyquarzeadmiraldunwall 21 votes

Comments

• Options
    admiraldunwalladmiraldunwall Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Some of these gif banners are seizure-inducing. I like the fact that some people are gracious enough to wrap their banner in a spoiler tag, but Holy Batman are the really flashy ones annoying.

I'm not actually too fussed about the size
    tumblr_n8bewt4QjC1qm2fu4o2_r1_400.gif
    "Polls are so annoying, let's make a poll to see who agrees!"
  • Options
    Some of these gif banners are seizure-inducing. I like the fact that some people are gracious enough to wrap their banner in a spoiler tag, but Holy Batman are the really flashy ones annoying.

My thoughts exactly. :) I love a good banner, but all this animated stuff is just way too jittery (especially when they can span 1/3rd of you entire screen, vertically).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    I like my animated banner.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    Fortunately sigs can be turned off quite easily now. Barring that, use an AdBlock Plus filter setting to tune out .gifs on this specific site, which will let you keep your normal jpg and png banners but ditch anything with movement.
  • Options
    Fortunately sigs can be turned off quite easily now. Barring that, use an AdBlock Plus filter setting to tune out .gifs on this specific site, which will let you keep your normal jpg and png banners but ditch anything with movement.

But I generally *love* to see banners, just not that huge (without having to resort to some sort of thrd-party tool).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I'm glad we're now allowed to use offsite images, but we're getting a certain amount of jackassery with the current system. Like that one guy who posted a couple times in Ten Forward with a sigpic that was an entire screen tall and consisted of a flashing green and pink checkerboard.

There are legit uses for GIFs, but for Pete's sake use a little common sense.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    I...experimented with a rather large sig pic and it was removed. :p

I do think there needs to be size restrictions. Support for animated gifs is a welcome addition and should remain.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Common sense isn't.
    Which is why I prefer the German term for it, which literally translate to "healthy human mind". It's easier to posit that most people aren't healthy than that most people aren't representing the common.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    i actually pared the entire sig down to 150px and 60% opacity on the light blue theme.
    150 is more than enough.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    Common sense isn't.
    Which is why I prefer the German term for it, which literally translate to "healthy human mind". It's easier to posit that most people aren't healthy than that most people aren't representing the common.
    I think I'm going to have to remember that expression. B)
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    The ability to disable both signature images and signatures as a whole, is not quite a saving grace for these forums; but it's definitely something that I'm thankful for all the same.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I like the animation gifs in postings and the signatures ca93dc7fd68f55aff226dabf18b1bcd2.gif

I do agree, though, that a size limitatios would make sense. Some are really huge and needed to be adblocked.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    I would disable GIFs. To me, that more than anything is the problem.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    Stop the "Man" from messing with our Banners!
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    I actually like the ability to use animated gifs, sure some have obnoxious ones, but they add a bit more spice to these boring, monochrome, fora 200-300px tall is not unreasonable tho
  • Options
    qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    this is one of those mentalities that just seems to be getting worse, and i find it rather annoying, and very self centred. why people would prefer removing a facility from everyone, rather than just asking for a way to 'opt out' of said facility is totally beyond me, this whole, "i don't like it so nobody should have it" attitude is just so very.. me.. me.. me.. me.. me.. me..!!
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • Options
    tomaswilletomaswille Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    There should be a limit. 200 is perhaps a bit drastic. I know most banners are 200x500 but give them more freedom. Having no limit at all is very inviting for "trollers". But Cryptic is promoting trolling. Or they aren't considering they even excists. At least, ingame they don't do anything about it. Why should they on the forum?
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    qziqza wrote: »
    this is one of those mentalities that just seems to be getting worse, and i find it rather annoying, and very self centred. why people would prefer removing a facility from everyone, rather than just asking for a way to 'opt out' of said facility is totally beyond me, this whole, "i don't like it so nobody should have it" attitude is just so very.. me.. me.. me.. me.. me.. me..!!

Pretty much this. Banners are fine. If people have an issue with signatures there should be a little box near their post that lets you disable their signature (or any pictures) from your end.

The people complaining about the epileptic seizure signatures get what they want, and the people who love epileptic seizure signatures get what they want.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    iconians wrote: »

Pretty much this. Banners are fine. If people have an issue with signatures there should be a little box near their post that lets you disable their signature (or any pictures) from your end.

The people complaining about the epileptic seizure signatures get what they want, and the people who love epileptic seizure signatures get what they want.

After they've had their seizure....just saying.
  • Options
    tomaswille wrote: »
    There should be a limit. 200 is perhaps a bit drastic. I know most banners are 200x500 but give them more freedom. Having no limit at all is very inviting for "trollers". But Cryptic is promoting trolling. Or they aren't considering they even excists. At least, ingame they don't do anything about it. Why should they on the forum?

Nice, the whole who doesn't agree with me is a troll defense.

I am personally against making a universal banner size, but I can even understand the need for banner uniformity across the forums. Banner uniformity will achieve both the form of expression in the form of art from a poster, and provide a an affective solution to reduce load times on any thread.

95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    edited July 2015

After they've had their seizure....just saying.

If they're that epileptic to the point a mere glance at an objectionable signature before clicking the box half a second later will induce a seizure, I'm pretty sure they aren't playing STO anyway.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    2170930b5a2ah7tbz.gif

Tom: Body is 10 characters too short.
    Jerry: That's what she said.
    Post edited by virusdancer on
  • Options
    Iconians,

Good comment, I would like to add the following to help educate those who keep bringing up Epileptic issues:

3 percent of people with epilepsy, exposure to flashing lights at certain intensities or to certain visual patterns can trigger seizures.

65 million people worldwide currently live with epilepsy. Sooo, 1.95 million can have a seizure due to flashing lights. How many play STO, do we need a poll?

Examples of Triggers

Seizures in photosensitive people may be triggered by exposure to some of the following situations:

Television screens or computer monitors due to the flicker or rolling images.
    Certain video games or TV broadcasts containing rapid flashes or alternating patterns of different colors.
    Intense strobe lights like visual fire alarms.
    Natural light, such as sunlight, especially when shimmering off water, flickering through trees or through the slats of Venetian blinds.
    Certain visual patterns, especially stripes of contrasting colors.
    Some people wonder whether flashing lights on the top of buses or emergency vehicles may trigger seizures in people with photosensitive epilepsy too.

Not all televisions, video games, computer monitors, and strobe lights trigger seizures, however. Even in predisposed individuals, many factors must combine to trigger the photosensitive reaction. Examples include:

Frequency of the flash (that is, how quickly the light is flashing)
    Brightness
    Contrast with background lighting
    Distance between the viewer and the light source
    Wavelength of the light
    Whether a person’s eyes are open or closed

The frequency or speed of flashing light that is most likely to cause seizures varies from person to person. Generally, flashing lights most likely to trigger seizures are between the frequency of 5 to 30 flashes per second (Hertz).

The likelihood of such conditions combining to trigger a seizure is small.

• Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    If they're that epileptic to the point a mere glance at an objectionable signature before clicking the box half a second later will induce a seizure, I'm pretty sure they aren't playing STO anyway.

i was in a band with an epileptic guitarist.
    we did our best to ensure strobe lights were never used, but there were a few times he had people thinking he was having a drug overdose on stage.
  • Options
    mainamaina Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    I have a seizure every time I see a poll........
    gHF1ABR.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I mean, I could be wrong. Speaking as someone with medical issues that hinders the quality of my life in certain respects, I can totally understand thinking of people with epilepsy. I'm not saying epileptic people don't play STO, and we shouldn't care about them.

But the example of a sig pic triggering an epileptic seizure at a brief glance is kind of a stretch.

But let's suppose it's true. If only one person who browses the STO forums has epilepsy that severe, then maybe they would be better off disabling all signatures in their preferences.

I'm in the mindset that just because someone doesn't like something, it shouldn't be prohibited. If there is reasonable suspicion that the Vanilla forums can be altered and adjusted on a per-user basis and how they choose to personally tailor how they view the STO forums -- I see absolutely no reason why this can't be solved through Checkboxes and the "Save Preferences" button.

And if a sig pic is objectionable enough by itself to cause a riot, nothing is stopping the forum mods from taking action on a case-by-case basis. They typically have good judgement.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    And if a sig pic is objectionable enough by itself to cause a riot, nothing is stopping the forum mods from taking action on a case-by-case basis. They typically have good judgement.

Nothing but the same ol' - same ol' failure to act on such things in the past even without the animated gif garbage taking place.
  • Options
    Nothing but the same ol' - same ol' failure to act on such things in the past even without the animated gif garbage taking place.

This is the important part. I'm willing to give the new forums a fair shake before hanging an albatross around PWE's neck.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    There are already rules that have been in effect for a long time, but haven't been enforced, that limit the height of signatures. I would be fine if they just stuck with those rules.
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Some limited animations as an option are real nice.

But I'd vote No to anything animated that takes up excess bandwidth, contains any rapid flashing or any flashing beyond very small regions, or any other motion effects that interferes and distracts one from reading the posts above and below it.

A criteria might be hard to establish, so I'd just suggest it be limited to small animations, while anything in excess of this be hidden under the Spoiler option.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿