test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What is your chief concern about the current state of STO?

hipachilleshipachilles Member Posts: 195 Arc User
Admittedly, many of these are overlapping, confounding, or tend to play against each other. But overall, what (at the moment) is your most significant barrier to enjoying the game more.

NOTE: If you are going to add follow-up comments, please don't just complain; take the time to explain what the problem is and how it might be fixed.

What is your chief concern about the current state of STO? 270 votes

Bugs - Items/powers not WAI; art/costume clipping/visual errors; etc.
11%
oldravenman3025frtoasterfreakiumsopwithsnipemeimeitoopottsey5gdrreverendswamarianoldkhemaraasonicshowershadowwraith77comdriverghostmatterborticuscrypticsolardynamopurplegamerelectrumleopardbulldogmacraggecrowley875thenoname711 30 votes
Lag/FPS - rubberbanding, disconnects, or graphics slowing down FPS
20%
nightkenadmiralkirksvellndivvydavepteal1979xelene13ilithynmattjohnsonvathemetalstickmangaevsmankurumimorishitasarosssmokeybacon90monkeybone13jaymclaughlinspielman1angrybobhdenniskr87yoosty1nandospc 55 votes
Power Creep - new powers/traits/specializations/items/ships significantly more powerful
9%
themartiantinead51reyan01ursusmorologusreginamala78tom61stoiconiansscarlingquepannicha0startrek1234567gradiisunfranckssom3one1lirokaikerfoliantheliafreenos85olocancom#0595myko9 26 votes
Grind - EC/XP/Dilithium/Marks requiring multiple replays of single missions
23%
aduinfinrod1ikonn#1068jorumgandrtk79jahnkmikoto123asabrevt1100sekritagentcaptainoblivoustymerstogulberatsixofusvengefuldjinnsmeeinn1tstuntpilotkjwashingtonfleetadmiraltacoblitzy4mugu21logos1326 64 votes
Content - regularity, gameplay, or overall direction of episodes/arcs/holdings/reputation
13%
forthegamershpoksduncanidaho11aliensamongusalexraptorrnynikvivenneanthonyszerontzurcrypticarmsmandaniela1055a3001plasmanuggetpicard51cearavcapemike4azniadeethuskerklgtunebreakerdraigonlomax6996 36 votes
Foundry - these or other issues, specifically how they relate to the Foundry
2%
primar13justjoe12345123castsbugcvegeta50024markhawkmantylermaxwellcaptainhunter1[Deleted User] 8 votes
PVP - these or other issues, specifically how they relate to PVP
5%
tehbubbalooriccardo171mustrumridcully0sysil84wast33vonednapatrickngokyle223catdgdolphrakija879kristaswiftrobyvisionpraxi5risingwolfshadow 14 votes
Balance - ships/careers/powers being OP or UP, lacking counters, or being viable at all
5%
velqualordsteve1archsorcererxulukayxcharlemangydogcentaurianalphaskollulfrcryptkeeper0slothattackillusivelemonhunteralpha84r0mulannpciyx#3242retyertySano 15 votes
Other - If you aren't having as much fun, but the reason has nothing to do with what is listed
8%
virusdancercoupaholichyplcidjacktolmariuswarmaker001bseaofsorrowscirran1jam3s1701battykoda0flash525sisterichyperionx09alexsanderitaxparr15url1kstrous1stumpfgobsrjd66rickdanko 22 votes

Comments

• kittyflofykittyflofy Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Since i cant select more than one option, this poll is useless in my opinion. I will vote primarly for the first option (logically as i guess everybody will/should) but the second point is also important, and the third, .. etc.
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    Other - If you aren't having as much fun, but the reason has nothing to do with what is listed
    I voted other, for the simple fact that people just can't be happy with what they have.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
    cidjack wrote: »
    I voted other, for the simple fact that people just can't be happy with what they have.

lol? im happy with what i have, thats the reason i keep playing lol. That doesnt mean things could be 500% better or the game should have 3 months (probably much more) in a row of bug fixing.
  • supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    Other than PvP i'd vote for all of them. One thing you haven't got in the poll is the R&D/Upgrade system and costs. If you don't hit UR or Epic early when upgrading Rep gear such as the Iconian Warp as an example, it can cost if you continue anywhere between 300-400k dil to get to UR if you are very unlucky. Also the inability to pick our own mods, i don't know if this is being addressed or not ?.
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Grind/Content - Having most of the levels of the effective level cap use 59-60 xp requirements with normal content giving only the slightest sliver of progression needs to be addressed. If you aren't grinding out Argala grade patrols that bar isn't going to move for you.

Story missions? Sorry, no spec points for you.
    Battle Zones? Sorry, no spec points for you.
    Queues? Sorry, no spec points for you.
    Events? Sorry, no spec points for you.

At least they are handing out a weekly spec point as with the featured episode. Which is great as long as there's a FE to replay. If they would have a weekly story arc to replay to get that account level reward when there isn't a Featured Episode that'd let people who don't grind Argala get more than one spec point a month.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    I went other as well. Thing is all of those poll choices are either unavoidable or simply a design decision.

My only real minor gripe at the moment is the levelling not being a smooth ride from 1 to 60. And that everything just falls on top of you at level 50 when some reputations could be made available earlier.
  • hipachilleshipachilles Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    I know it would be nice to select multiples or even rank them, but Vanilla polls only let you select one. Sorry, it doesn't work in a way that is more informative, but I can't control that.

I am mostly curious what is the single biggest factor limiting players' ability to have fun at the moment.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    Grind--IMO the 50-60 grind is unreasonable, as is the amount of grind required for fleet holdings for all but THE biggest fleets.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    Power Creep - new powers/traits/specializations/items/ships significantly more powerful
    For me, power creep is the largest issue, with bugs a very close 2nd place. When the game becomes as stupidly easy as it is right now, when you can overpower everything in every ship without thinking, it becomes no fun, which means everything you do is a grind, its boring, and its a timesink. My bet, if the game as fun again, grind would get very few votes. Fixing the powercreep and balance of combat would go a very long way in fixing huge problems in the game.

Really, the lack of maintenance to core game systems is the root cause, cryptic doesn't perform normal maintenance to the game, resulting in far fewer bugs fixed than created, to power creep, to grind, they just keep focusing on the next payday.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    I'd choose all or most of the above if it were an option.

But if there's one that's been persistent and has irritated me more than any, it's been %*(_)(%^&& console lag. Nothing results in more failures on both ground and space and wanting to just Alt-F4'it all when the abilities simply do not enable after a million clicks.

This has been a severe problem since day 1 of joining this game. I've complained, wrote posts, and it's still as bad if not worse than ever.

One time I saw a marked improvement. I was real happy. Wanted to spend cash again in the game. That was short-lived. Now it's back to dying cause hypos don't work, staring at boff or space powers to make sure they enable instead of enjoying the action. Horrible.

Cryptic, FFS, FIX iT.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    What stops my fun most is the forced cooldowns on everything nowadays and this is something they created for us to endure because of the grind. The alt unfriendliness the poorly designed grind creates is another issue. However, the grindy nonsense is not really my chief concern.

I would say balance and power creep are basically the same problem, and they are huge problems right now. Cryptic clearly has no interest in controlling it at all, and with enemy designs like the heralds show they really only want you to chase the power creep so you can survive the nonsense attacks they do. It also feeds back into grind, because you're expected to grind more for more power. It is only going to get worse.

I also have a very big pet peeve in the UI clunkiness. It only seems to get worse the more they do. Whether it is expecting us to manually target Herald portals or the constant resizing of my inventory and bank windows or the way you can't close half the windows with the escape key, it is becoming increasingly frustrating to just try to play STO.
  • kurumimorishitakurumimorishita Member Posts: 1,410 Arc User
    LAG.. even though I've to say, that the recent updates worked very well for me.. if they can tweak it a little bit more, then this concern will vanish completely..
    "We might get pretty singed at that range, but not as singed as they're going to get. Engage."
    - Captain Six of Nine aka Ashley "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell
    q4F10XV.jpg
    ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED
  • sysil84sysil84 Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    I picked PvP.

Obviously fixing PvP means they would need to remove the power creep and the grind, fix the lag and balance the abilities.

So pretty much half the list.
  • sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Crafting, the cost of it and the requirements to get the crafting material needed to make things. I hate the fact that I HAVE to run SPECIFIC Advanced STF's to get the one unit of a VR material. And add to it the high usage of Dil for building and upgrading hurts. And then the fact that craft is a TRIBBLE shoot for mods, with you most likely getting a large number of sub-optimal combinations really sucks.
    This is the number one thing that disappoints me every time I log in.

Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    I went with other. Some know why. Some don't. Going with other works.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Going with powercreep. The high DPS meta bothers me the most, even though it is tied into other parts of the poll -- I see it as the root cause which would then have a cascading effect into other problems.

Making rewarding gameplay styles (healing, support, etc.) on par with DPS would help reign it in, imo.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    I voted for PvP. But grind, bugs, balance and power creep are the reasons why PvP is dead.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I went with 'Other.'

I would like to see more balance in factions. Romulans and KDF really need some Dev attention. I also think that the crafting system needs a little work to make it easier to make the items you want.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • riccardo171riccardo171 Member Posts: 1,802 Arc User
    I could write an endless list of "what's wrong" in STO. I'll limit myself to saying that things began to collapse after Geko said "PvPers are 14-years old basement dwelling min maxers". There was no other time, in the gaming industry, in which a game dev openly insulted even just one of their players. It's not that I care about something said by some...one on the other side of Earth, but once you take that as a sample...
  • stumpfgobsstumpfgobs Member Posts: 297 Arc User
    I selected other, but would've selected "performance" if it was in the list.

Performance of the game is my main concern right now. What i mean by that? Well, thanks to certain bugs with the fx some parts of the games are literally not accessible to a portion of the player base. Take a look in the bug forums and see what is happening to people on risa or new romulus - FPS goes into single digit mode while the GPUs basically switch themselfs off out of boredom.
    On top of it there are the lag issues. At certain hours every day the game is barely accessible and even if you manage to log in (which lately works better) you get rubberbanding, disconnects etc.

So my main concern is, that no matter the content/grind/etc. the game is becoming less and less accessible. Even if i wanted to play, i couldn't because it is technically not really feasible.
    edited July 2015
    Bugs only 10%.. ow.. and people keep wondering why bugs keep being ignored. :) ,its nice to see that players actually dont care at all about the overall quality of the game lolz.
  • aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    As others have said, the grinds. These two things in particular:

1) The upgrade system as a means for fully optimizing current content gear. It's a great tool for boosting old favorites, but having it required to boost current gear to Mk XIV as well is absolutely terrible.

2) The specialization system. I get that the idea is to reward people over time as they play, but that's really just a roundabout way of saying "grind." The bonuses are too good to pass up, and the difference between someone with finished specializations vs someone who has none is staggering.

These two things were enough to completely deter me from ever making another alt, and even from playing the ones I have. I had fun with my delta recruit, but she's been demoted to "hold this TRIBBLE in your bank" because the amount of grind required is just too much. STO has effectively become a game where I have only 1 character, even though my account has 10 character slots (9 of which have characters, 3 of which are 50-59, and 3 of which are 60)
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    Other - Improved client stability and performance. Nothing else matters if the game can't even run as it should. Improved and more consistent framerates, less stuttering and crashes, improved support for large-scale engagements, code cleanup. Network latency issues was a huge part of client problems and for the most part they seem to have been taken care of.
  • solardynamosolardynamo Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    I choose "Bugs" due to some costume clipping. Pretty much the only thing that I ever see that slightly bothers me.

Would really choose "Other" frankly, but the wording is unnecessarily negative... "Other - If you aren't having as much fun, but the reason has nothing to do with what is listed". I'm having fun. To me this choice just forces the poll data to be skewed as "everyone is unhappy in some way" and that is not truly respective of everyone's experience.

I almost hate to admit...I have no FPS, lag, balance issues, or content woes. I'll just be dismissed in some way (fanboy, lucky, liar, whatever...)

• ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    Powercreep is why PVE is boring, why PVP is dead, and why I don't spend money on this game anymore
  • nh3rdnh3rd Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    Complete lack of endgame content. The worst grind ever seen thanks to time gating what little content there is. Crappy servers that can't handle more than 2 simultaneous instances of ISA (since dps chasing and space barbie are the only 2 real endgame paths). The god awful lag everytime another event starts up. The complete waste of money on voice acting from folks that basically just read a piece of paper into a mic on their lunch break. The lag. Lack of challenging content for more than 5 people. News flash 5 people is a group 25 people is a raid. And your servers cant even handle the 5. Oh did I mention the lag. Lets not forget the bugs like missions that can't be completed, a UI that seems to glitch itself out at every turn from abilities to disappearing items, or the ever more frustrating DX crash that still has no fix.

But this is why I don't log in anymore canceled subs and just troll through here to watch it all burn like the blazing train wreck that it is in the hopes that one day I will pass through and see a post saying ZOMG LAG FIXED!!!. Wishful thinking.
  • SeschatSeschat Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    Content - regularity, gameplay, or overall direction of episodes/arcs/holdings/reputation
    Combination answer:
    The grind is annoying. Admittedly, as a casual player I don't need to upgrade everything to rank XIV, but seriously?
    The storyline direction. Everything, and everything, is now tied into the Great Iconian Plot. This is now worse than The Coming Storm was back on CoH. Space is big, ther can be issues that have nothing to do with everyone else's Menace To The Quadrant.
    Bugs. Why is it that I still can't convince my bridge officers to remember their skills between play sessions?
    --
    I'm ME again, having been revanantmorituri during the era between forumpocalypses.
    BatRon 11 ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ Millennium Triumphant ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ Emerald Armada
    Champions Online closed Beta tester. Star Trek Online closed Beta tester.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    LAG.. even though I've to say, that the recent updates worked very well for me.. if they can tweak it a little bit more, then this concern will vanish completely..

This!, good work, but now I have a lot of DC's... not terrible, but kind of annoying..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • rocketman359rocketman359 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    The poor playability of the PVE system is only one of a long list of concerns.