Proposal for in-game DPS titles.

Comments

• supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    oh someone wants titles for dps. how bout
    5k - little epeen
    10k - big peen
    30k - very big peen
    50k plus - you are a epeen
    just be satisfied in you're own knowledge that you can build a very good starship and conquer all PvE which already have titles
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    No
    guljarol wrote: »
    Not everyone cares about it. As long as I get to destroy the enemy and not die, I'm satisfied. I don't have to do it within seconds. It would be dull. The fight, the strategy, the challenge is interesting; can't have that if they're dead a moment after my firing weapons. Numbers do not interest me, and even less - players who will go and insult me to their hearts content because of my low number (there are such, as existence of certain threads proves).

So give me DPS title "Doesn't give a Frack about DPS".

100% how I feel.
    For something like that to remotely work, Cryptic first would need to integrate a system measuring your damage output (dps is a function over time, so stating "I deal 20k dps" is a nonsensical statement to begin with) via in-game mechanics.

this is also an EXCELLENT point. I've seen people "accuse" others of "holding back the team with low dps" after essentially stealing all the kills with min max builds so its IMPOSSIBLE to have high dps, dead ships don't take damage.

Yet another reason I quit the moronic dps channels.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    No
    No.

First, there isn't even an official DPS meter for STO. Something like that would have to be developed first. Besides, there was quite a lot of drama a couple of weeks ago when people from the DPS channels were arguing what would be the 'right way' to do and measure DPS, what should be included etc. If a person can break 100k DPS once, but never repeat itin a PUG, the added value of it would be zero in future instances so what's the point of showing off that you managed to do 100k once?

Add to that that DPS greatly differs between missions and you have to conclude that 30k DPS in ISA doesn't mean the player can repeat it in KASA or CCA.

You'd have to develop some standard DPS, taking into account differences between missions, cutting out outliers and take some average DPS instead. And then there would still be room for debate.

• tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    No
    Player created chat channels already exist for stroking of e-peens. No need to take it any further.
  • snipey47asnipey47a Member Posts: 485 Media Corps
    Yes
    I voted yes but then after thinking about it better (which I should of done in the first place) I don't think it is actually a good idea. At least until DPS has a better image in STO
  • kriss257kriss257 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    Yes
    Definetly Yes, and I'm not dps'r (cca 20K). It will enguriqe low dps'r (rainbow ones) to bet better an maybe learn some freacking basics in PvE.
    10Chars and I play them ALL.

76561198045166665.png
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    No
    I vote no because it's too easy to get a team to boost your DPS out of your skill level. We all know there will be people who do that just to get the title so they can epeen the queues...
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    No
    Alas I will have to concur. Such a thing would only promote further segregation between those with titles, and those without.

I would however be on board with some in-game DPS measuring system. It doesn't need to be sophisticated with charts and spreadsheets. Just have it trigger to record at the first shot until the last, then give me an average DPS number in a nice results box at the end.

If you want to go nuts chuck in another column for healing or support, and have an option to export all data.
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    No
    Would nanny carries count?
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    No
    You wanna show off? Put your dps on facebook, twitter and don't forget to tell your mum about it.
    No
    I think this would build the community, since people would have goals to achieve.

I don't know much about DPS, I just shoot torpedoes, but from what I gather, a team can help boost someone's DPS, so people could form these teams and sell the service to people who want to get the title. That's emergent content, that's a community. Or, people could give it away as a service like we do with base invites in NoP PS, that's a community too!

Then they should only get their little title displayed while grouped with the team that carried them since that's how they got the title.
  • arabaturarabatur Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    No
    Sounds like the start to segregation. What next, yellow stars?
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    (...)

I just think I'd be more likely to do DPS stuff if there was an incentive like a flashy title, a prize for doing it.

Surely I'm not alone, people are motivated by rewards and prizes.

You are usually rewarded for having dealt most damage in the queues. That's what the ranking at the mission end is for. Granted, not all queues have that, but that's how those things are being rewarded. The system could be expanded, so at the end of a mission you have top 3 places in various categories. "Most damage dealt", "Most damage taken", "Best support (buff/debuff others)", "Best repairs (self heals)", "Best medic (outgoing hels)" etc. and get a reward for that (maybe including a title).
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    No
    I think this would build the community, since people would have goals to achieve.

I don't know much about DPS, I just shoot torpedoes, but from what I gather, a team can help boost someone's DPS, so people could form these teams and sell the service to people who want to get the title. That's emergent content, that's a community. Or, people could give it away as a service like we do with base invites in NoP PS, that's a community too!

Then they should only get their little title displayed while grouped with the team that carried them since that's how they got the title.

That would kind of defeat the purpose of being able to sell/donate help to people in unlocking the titles.

Whatever, don't care either way.

I just think I'd be more likely to do DPS stuff if there was an incentive like a flashy title, a prize for doing it.

Surely I'm not alone, people are motivated by rewards and prizes.

There are two flavors of channels as your rewards already.
  • kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    No
    This idea would do a lot more harm than good. We already have people ditching STFs after just seeing a ship they don't like, for no more of a reason than it's a T5 or T5U. This would only make it easier to queue and ditch. This title system has no place in a game already scorching with hate for the less than elite DPSers.
    No

Yes, that's obvious since you don't even seem to have thought about some of the major issues that make your proposal, at this moment, impossible to implement. (The most important being the discussions around nannied runs, differences between different missions and the total lack of an official DPS meter.)
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    Well thats one way to troll the game and start arguments.
  • dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    No
    You guys forget that the Great Mistake of delta rising, the hard fails on advanced queues, is finally getting rectified.
    You think that was the "Great Mistake" of DR??? Srsly???

What about the alt unfriendlyness, the insane grind, the insane upgrade cost (that even got worse after the mk ii upgrade nerf), the broken spec trees and all that unbalanced intel/command/T6 TRIBBLE???

Making STFs harder (even on advanced) was one of the very few good things...

I sometimes wonder if you guys out there are playing a different game.
  • sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    No
    kriss257 wrote: »
    Definetly Yes, and I'm not dps'r (cca 20K). It will require low dps'r (rainbow ones) to bet better an maybe learn some freacking basics in PvE.

First of all I fixed your basic spelling mistake.

Second of all no one learns basics unless people teach them and this would not happen at all with DPS titles. People would screech at "Noobs" and holler things like, "Learn to play f****t!"

In no way would this be beneficial

Post edited by sle1989 on
    y1arXbh.png

• hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    Yes
    I wholeheartedly support incorporating visual e-peen meters, costumes, and titles into the game.

Because lol.
  • orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    No
    Certainly not.

This game is too DPS-focused as it is, we don't need MORE incentive to be high dpsers. And I have to agree that adding dps titles would just add more of a reason for crazy dpsers to insta-quit from PUGs if other players don't have a uber-dps title.
    edited July 2015
    No
    risian4 wrote: »

Yes, that's obvious since you don't even seem to have thought about some of the major issues that make your proposal, at this moment, impossible to implement. (The most important being the discussions around nannied runs, differences between different missions and the total lack of an official DPS meter.)

If people can make 3rd party DPS parsers how hard can it be to just build one into the game?

As for the helper nanny whatever, we can make that trivial to the question at hand by adding

"Assuming that issue is settled in the way you prefer, would you like to see in game titles for DPS?"

That way the question is about in game titles and not some other, only tangentially related subject, ya?

Tangentially related? You're proposing DPS titles. So, DPS seems to be at the core of your idea. Yet you didn't work out a clear definition of how this DPS should be measured and what should be included and, now it gets really weird, you don't even seem to care about these issues yourself. These issues broke up a part of the in-game community, your idea will even enhance that effect since you're basically proposing that titles are given to players, based on some vague term that isn't even sorted out by the DPS crowd themselves.

Which only strengthens my idea, mentioned by several others, that this is just a troll thread.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    No
    Had to go with no, there really wasn't much of an option otherwise. Kind of along the lines of wanting there to be an in-game private meter so a person could see their own DPS, but not a thing where it becomes antagonistic or combative in showing everybody what everybody else has...had this instead been a case of wanting Cryptic to track DPS for gating into content that would have been one thing; but using it as a means to "mark" the population...well, Dental is as Dental as Dental is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    No
    They could connect it to a system like the one that added the purple delta after the names of deltalts during the delta event.

As u got higher DPS it would show the number, like 5k, 10k, 20k etc after ur name and also when ur k got higher it would change colors like a brown color for 10k and then a metal silver color for higher and a gold and then if u got it really high like make it animated flashing colors and maybe the top person gets every color in the rainbow pulsing and if u got more k then not just have the flashing colors but also make the font much bigger though and give special titles to go along with the colors and numbers like DPS master or samurai or or wizard and if u got high enough k for it to make you have the flashing numbers and the huge numbers font and the title of wizard then u could get some special clothing like a master chain for master and a samurai armor for samurai and a wizards robes for the top title which could be wizard!

No, because the DPS elitists don't need any more help compensating for their shortcomings, and also because I take great pleasure in seeing your ideas get shot down in flames.