test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

these new forums suck!

Comments

• sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    I'm freaking bipolar, it's hard for me to not to blow a gasket over something so... infuriating.

So just because you are bipolar, people who've never met you should have to put up with your negative abuse? Talk about sheer unadulterated [redacted].

My only crime was politely suggesting that people could make the current forum transition more pleasant by referring them to the forum fixes that were made by some of our fellow players. Which in turn set off your whole "I don't want to use stuff other players made to make things better. I want PWE/Cryptic to do it for me, and I'm gonna be bitter and nasty until they do." ranting.

That's a curious revision of events, considering what actually happened is that I simply stated that I shouldn't have to use something that fixes something that the company responsible should fix on their own. Then you started flame baiting and trolling me.

Currently, you both are just bickering and not adding to the conversation in an constructive matter. Can we desist with this?
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »
    iconians wrote: »
    It is truly frustrating when something as important as the Flag post doesn't even function!

The old forums didn't even have that function to begin with.

Where we might as well be, which is the whole point!

Taking your example, a non-functioning Flag post option... it's important. It's important enough to get frustrated over if it doesn't work.

The Flag post button isn't functional, but it does exist. If it exists, that means there is the reasonable expectation it will eventually become functional.

The old forums never even indicated they were concerned. We had to fill out a support ticket to get a post looked at. That's even more backwards thinking than this.
    The flag button seems to work when I use it.... :p

For me the worst forum migration ever was on a fan board where they migrated one forum at a time and wouldn't let you add new posts to the empty parts in the mean time.... and they threatened to ban people for posting in the wrong forum.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • borgified007borgified007 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    The inability to go to the next page from the bottom of the page, IE thread page clicky, has to be about the most annoying. Cmon man every forum in existence pretty much has the ability to navigate from the top and the bottom. SMH
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    The inability to go to the next page from the bottom of the page, IE thread page clicky, has to be about the most annoying. Cmon man every forum in existence pretty much has the ability to navigate from the top and the bottom. SMH

I do agree with your assessment, I currently dread clicking on threads that have more than one page. I do like the save draft feature!
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,279 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    cidjack wrote: »

I do agree with your assessment, I currently dread clicking on threads that have more than one page. I do like the save draft feature!

if you don't mind installing an add-on, you can get navigation buttons at the bottom of threads by going here https://github.com/asterpw/pwevanillaenhance grabbing whichever addon is listed for your browser and then clicking the .js link near the top of the installation heading

assuming installation is successful, you'll see a little blue gear next to the gray one on your...user control panel, i guess you'd call it; click that and check the box under the add-ons section called Global Fixes (that should be what adds them)

it isn't official, but it'll do for me, at least, until an official one comes out
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User

if you don't mind installing an add-on, you can get navigation buttons at the bottom of threads by going here https://github.com/asterpw/pwevanillaenhance grabbing whichever addon is listed for your browser and then clicking the .js link near the top of the installation heading

assuming installation is successful, you'll see a little blue gear next to the gray one on your...user control panel, i guess you'd call it; click that and check the box under the add-ons section called Global Fixes (that should be what adds them)

it isn't official, but it'll do for me, at least, until an official one comes out

Thanks I will check this out! Proof there are helpful people on these forums!
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
    edited July 2015

In addition to the extra Preferences button people will get a Themes button. Khamseenair has created three very nice STO themes. 1 for each faction.

when did he add the other 2? i only have the federation one

EDIT: never mind, i found them
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I agree with the OP. I do not like the new forums and think that their current incarnation suck.

I'm sure I posted a list of issues in some other similar thread a day or two after the conversion. I dunno. I can't find it.

I've tried to get used to it and use the new forums, but after these last couple weeks, I still can't get comfortable with the new forums. Top five thoughts off the top of my head:

1) No Dev Tracker. This was the main reason I visited the forums. To get official word from the game developers on what was happening to the game. With the Dev tracker I could see every move they made in one place. It was great and I always thought so. Now that it's gone, I miss it incredibly, and feel disconnected from the game and less interested in playing.

2) Lost History/Old Content. All my old saved links to important posts (by Devs or otherwise) are gone. If I try to use them I'm worthlessly sent to the top page at the new forums. All my old subscriptions with years of important (to me at least) info and history all lost. It's terribly frustrating and saddening.

3) No Subscriptions. The old forums were set up so when I posted in a thread I was auto-subscribed to it and could follow that conversation going forward. I could manually sub too, without posting. Apparently there's a notifications icon that keeps yelling at me, but that doesn't work the same way, and I haven't found an efficient way to get that to function the way I need it to. So I'm losing track of new conversations I was a part of.

4) Navigation/aesthetic changes. I expect this sort of thing I'll "get used to", but I'm not at all a fan of the drab boring appearance of these forums. I don't like how a link doesn't get highlighted or underlined (ie a link doesn't stand out). There are missing navigation buttons all over. Posts don't have post numbers or date/time stamps all the time. It's hard to go to the latest post in a thread, assuming I can even find a thread again... I *JUST* installed an add-in that was recommended earlier in this thread. I'll see if helps.

5) Too noisy. And here's where maybe I'm an old man, because I really am not a fan of all the over-sized signature pictures and embedded in-post pictures. Emoticons are fine. But huge movies and animated gifs, or even just large static pictures, repeated endlessly by repeated posters. I'm told I can remove sigpics, which I suppose might help, the fact is there are many tasteful pix I DO want to see. Mostly there are some large blinky ones that are difficult to see, especially when those people post a lot.

I can appreciate that new things require time to work out the bugs, but I don't have to be happy about it. :/

P.S. I paid for forum titles. I'd like to use them again.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    I don't mean to be rude, but, for me, the new forum hardly does it for me. The layout is just messier, and you're missing a lot of the old, solid overview.

The old forums were fine for me. Why fix it if it ain't broken?! (Or, more to the point, replace it with something even more broken).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    Ok. Point me to some things. Where is the last read? When I check activity, I see it from every damn game PWI owns. I play one. I want to see what's happening in just one. I don't care what is happening anywhere else.
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    dratikus wrote: »
    Where are the old forums?
    A lot of the people agree the new forum suck (redacted). Just have to cheer up through the suckiness.

• shandypandyshandypandy Member Posts: 632 Arc User
    Can't find the dev tracker, can't see a recent posts option just for STO, the next page in thread clickers are at the top of threads......

However, images in sigs! Yay!
    giphy.gif
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    Hmmm, ok! Time for ye' ole' hammer to what do.
  • battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    battykoda0 wrote: »
    Ok. Point me to some things. Where is the last read? When I check activity, I see it from every damn game PWI owns. I play one. I want to see what's happening in just one. I don't care what is happening anywhere else.

So just bookmark the one game forum you use in your browser. Works for me. perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/categories/startrekonline

That still doesn't present me with "What's New Today" or "Go To First Unread Post." The new forum is horrid. It feels like something from some piddly little no-name company that sells a cheap and tiny utility program that does nothing much of anything instead of a game publisher that holds many high population titles.
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    Aaaaaand now the perfectworld.vanillaforums.com workaround redirects back through arcgames anyways. Oh goodie. :(
  • bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    Aaaaaand now the perfectworld.vanillaforums.com workaround redirects back through arcgames anyways. Oh goodie. :(
    Already been complained about, if you have an adblocker on your browser then you should be able to tell it to block
    http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/js/embed_local.js

that will stop you from being redirected.
  • smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    bejaymac wrote: »
    Already been complained about, if you have an adblocker on your browser then you should be able to tell it to block

Thanks for posting this.

Why are they trying to make this harder than it needs to be?
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    if you have an adblocker on your browser then you should be able to tell it to block

Handy, thank you.
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    You can also go into categories, on the right of the word when you hover over it (next to the post counts) it'll show a cog wheel, just click it and choose hide. :smile:

As for the biggie that everyone wants, aka the devtracker, it's being looked into. That's all I can say on the subject at the moment.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1

you sir win the internet for the week... so glad I thought to look in here to see if others were complaining!
  • noxteregnoxtereg Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    This is better than reddit style. reddit confuses me sometimes.
    Only thing that sucks with these is now all my google searching ends up trying to visit old forums so they are all dead links :(

for those who are using the vanilla enhancement add-on, no need to do this, because the latest update does the exact same thing​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• logos1326logos1326 Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    I agree with the OP. I do not like the new forums and think that their current incarnation suck.

I'm sure I posted a list of issues in some other similar thread a day or two after the conversion. I dunno. I can't find it.

I've tried to get used to it and use the new forums, but after these last couple weeks, I still can't get comfortable with the new forums. Top five thoughts off the top of my head:

1) No Dev Tracker. This was the main reason I visited the forums. To get official word from the game developers on what was happening to the game. With the Dev tracker I could see every move they made in one place. It was great and I always thought so. Now that it's gone, I miss it incredibly, and feel disconnected from the game and less interested in playing.

2) Lost History/Old Content. All my old saved links to important posts (by Devs or otherwise) are gone. If I try to use them I'm worthlessly sent to the top page at the new forums. All my old subscriptions with years of important (to me at least) info and history all lost. It's terribly frustrating and saddening.

3) No Subscriptions. The old forums were set up so when I posted in a thread I was auto-subscribed to it and could follow that conversation going forward. I could manually sub too, without posting. Apparently there's a notifications icon that keeps yelling at me, but that doesn't work the same way, and I haven't found an efficient way to get that to function the way I need it to. So I'm losing track of new conversations I was a part of.

4) Navigation/aesthetic changes. I expect this sort of thing I'll "get used to", but I'm not at all a fan of the drab boring appearance of these forums. I don't like how a link doesn't get highlighted or underlined (ie a link doesn't stand out). There are missing navigation buttons all over. Posts don't have post numbers or date/time stamps all the time. It's hard to go to the latest post in a thread, assuming I can even find a thread again... I *JUST* installed an add-in that was recommended earlier in this thread. I'll see if helps.

5) Too noisy. And here's where maybe I'm an old man, because I really am not a fan of all the over-sized signature pictures and embedded in-post pictures. Emoticons are fine. But huge movies and animated gifs, or even just large static pictures, repeated endlessly by repeated posters. I'm told I can remove sigpics, which I suppose might help, the fact is there are many tasteful pix I DO want to see. Mostly there are some large blinky ones that are difficult to see, especially when those people post a lot.

I can appreciate that new things require time to work out the bugs, but I don't have to be happy about it. :/

P.S. I paid for forum titles. I'd like to use them again.

100% agree.
    And I also don't like when I pay a company for something and they decide to take it away from me because of (insert excuse here) or they tell me "any minute now" for weeks probably just hoping I will forget about it or go away.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    I hate that if I realize 1-2 seconds after posting that I've got a typo that I just didn't see in the edit box, that doing the quick edit shows the post as being edited. Heh, I'm getting older and rush some posts - so I liked that little bit of leeway in making the quick edit.
    I hate that if I realize 1-2 seconds after posting that I've got a typo that I just didn't see in the edit box, that doing the quick edit shows the post as being edited. Heh, I'm getting older and rush some posts - so I liked that little bit of leeway in making the quick edit.

Welcome to the PWE forums, where even a simple typo is made to look like you cheated! Most forums offer a minimal grace-period of at least 1 minute, before branding you as a 'cheater.'

And, by the goddess, allow me to unsubscribe from threads, so I won't get endless replies for all threads I ever posted in!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    And, by the goddess, allow me to unsubscribe from threads, so I won't get endless replies for all threads I ever posted in!
    go to notification preferences and untick the box
  • smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User

Problem is that this is all on or all off, it would be cool to have an option to receive notices on a case by case basis. Maybe could be added to edit gearwheel.​​
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

Yeah. But I don't want to unsubscribe from all threads: just the ones that no longer interest me.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    this isn't the open source version of Vanilla. It's being hosted and managed by them.

And this is where a god chunk of the issues come from,
    why use a third party to host?

It causes way more issues than It's worth, especially when you use vanillaforums.com who to be quite frank are extremely disreputable, their hardware is low quality even compared to the low requirements of the vanilla software, they have notoriously poor customer service and are known to be extremely rigid if not incapable when asked to deviate from the standard with regards to skins and add-ons.

(I'm not saying the forum software is bad, it's pretty good, I've used it myself on multiple forums over the years, but the hosting side of the company is trash)

Vanilla is open source, free and can be self hosted on a pretty low resource machine, and is fully customizable, why restrict yourself to a host? You could do SO MUCH more with it if you hosted the open source software yourself.