test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mirror Universe Iconians?

This has probably been brought up a dozen times already but the Vanilla search didn't turn anything up.

Surely the Mirror Universe has its own Iconians that could be enlisted to fight this bunch? Or should we assume that "cross-time" (alternate universe) scenarios mess up Iconians as badly as so-called ordinary time travel? I'd watch a multiple-universe conflict with great interest.
--//--

Thing I know now that I didn't know during Voyager: "Annorax" echoes "anorak"-- British slang for a person who has a very strong interest, perhaps obsessive, in niche subjects. [Wikipedia definition].
boldly-watched.png

Comments

• bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    The mirror universe may not be an exact mirror so there's no telling if the iconians exist or even if they're willing or capable of helping us. Also travelling to the mirror universe is prohibitively difficult and extremely dangerous, if something goes wrong we could be stuck there or in another random universe, and Starfleet/KDF/Romulan Republic are unlikely to send battle proven ships/admirals on a potential suicide mission in the hope that mirror iconians can and will help us when we can attack the threat more directly.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
    We don't know how far back the differences between the Prime and Mirror Universes are. We know of at least the 21st Century, but that's it. For all we know... 200,000 years ago the exact same bombardment of Iconia happened.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • thomaselkinsthomaselkins Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    Travel to the Mirror Universe doesn't sound that difficult. A simple modification of the transporter will get us there and we've already traveled to that universe with our ships once. The Terran Empire also has no problem invading our space whenever they feel like. Personally I would like to see the Mirror Universe expanded upon some more. Perhaps if they remaster the Cardassian campaign, they can remove the MU episodes and give them their own featured series. It would be interesting to travel to the MU and see if Romulus still exists. If it does, then the Iconians either haven't struck yet, or they're not "evil" or out for vengeance.

I actually think it would be cool if they could make an actual Mirror Universe and give us a Terran Empire faction. That would be asking for quite a bit though.
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    Travel to the Mirror Universe doesn't sound that difficult. A simple modification of the transporter will get us there and we've already traveled to that universe with our ships once. The Terran Empire also has no problem invading our space whenever they feel like. Personally I would like to see the Mirror Universe expanded upon some more. Perhaps if they remaster the Cardassian campaign, they can remove the MU episodes and give them their own featured series. It would be interesting to travel to the MU and see if Romulus still exists. If it does, then the Iconians either haven't struck yet, or they're not "evil" or out for vengeance.

I actually think it would be cool if they could make an actual Mirror Universe and give us a Terran Empire faction. That would be asking for quite a bit though.

Most travel from our side to there's have been accidental, the Terran Empire however is a sociopathic faction with no issues about sending their own people to die or be trapped over her in potential suicide missions.
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    I think the official stance on it, at least as far as The Federation is concerned, is not to mess with the Mirror Universe.

It's probably not worth the risk. For all we know Mirror Iconians would still happily enslave entire factions, with the minor difference being they do it for our own good rather than ruling the entire universe or something.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    jbmonroe wrote: »
    Thing I know now that I didn't know during Voyager: "Annorax" echoes "anorak"-- British slang for a person who has a very strong interest, perhaps obsessive, in niche subjects. [Wikipedia definition].

Yup. That drove me crazy, it's such a stupid name if you know what it means. I kept picturing him in a mac with his little notebook at a train station.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    jbmonroe wrote: »

Yup. That drove me crazy, it's such a stupid name if you know what it means. I kept picturing him in a mac with his little notebook at a train station.

According to Memory Alpha, Annorax's name was based of Pierre Aronnax from Jules Verne's 20,000 Leagues under the Sea. It cites the Star Trek Encyclopedia as the source of that information. 20,000 Leagues under the Sea was written in French, in 1870. Tom Paris even makes a 20,000 Leagues reference, referring to Annorax as Captain Nemo. You might note that the names are mirrored, with the exception of the X left on the end.

According to Wikipedia the term anorak either originated in the 1970's or in 1984, and come from the anorak coat, to which the people the term originated tended to wear (fans of offshore radio for he 1970's origin, trainspotters in the 1984 origin). The actual anorak jacket's name comes from the Kalaallisut word anoraq, and didn't enter into English until 1924.

It seems that the link between Annorax and anorak is purely coincidental.
  • ginobaldelli823ginobaldelli823 Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    Has anyone else had the though that the Mirror Universe Iconians could be the "Other" they keep referring too?
  • thomaselkinsthomaselkins Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    bluedarky wrote: »

Most travel from our side to there's have been accidental, the Terran Empire however is a sociopathic faction with no issues about sending their own people to die or be trapped over her in potential suicide missions.

Not always by accident. The Terrans developed a Multidimensional transporter which allowed them to travel back and forth between universes at will. I don't believe there was any danger involved and it was used several times on the show without a single problem.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    The Mirror Universe Iconians do indeed exist. We call them kittens.