What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Faction Equation

flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
Mere curiosity on my part...
attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222

The Faction Equation 112 votes

I would like more truly independent factions added to the game (no more mini-factions)
25%
stostargatewarssuperderknyxadrillguljarolphenomenaut01kaiserkactokjwashingtonwarmaker001bshadowwraith77gishka#4096thlaylierahsynfooladojegunsisterichyperionx09devilzaphanthenoname711xxnosxxparadoxequationdarkangel4333 28 votes
I would like more mini-factions (like the Republic) added to the game (no more independent factions)
8%
r5e4w3q2psyman87vegeta50024eldarion79drakethewhitefraghul2000anodynesjohn98837dixonium 9 votes
I am actually content with the 2.5/3 factions that we've already got - no need for anything else
17%
nightkendatalives#1627s2racingcastsbugcmustrumridcully0cidjackreginamala78kyrrokneuro1gkyle223catgradiikimmympeetapipmacimruinednostalgiamanpsiameesenightcrawler1983lagomorphicstumpfgobslyssel 20 votes
I would rather the Republic get 'promoted' to independent and conclude there (three factions total)
40%
aduinfinrod1ikonn#1068bendalekshpoksoriginalboodahkimonyreverandclintprotogothagentdunnfreakiumartan42spielman1fleetadmiraltacosysil84redshirtthefirstkitsunesnouttolmariusrexyflogos1326kodachikuno 45 votes
I would do away with the Republic entirely and focus on the FED/KDF only
8%
virusdancertehbubbaloodabelgravesmeeinn1tarabaturhuskerklgpwstolemynamefatman592tomaswillejerichoredoran 10 votes

Comments

• Options
    dcboy57dcboy57 Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    I would like more truly independent factions added to the game (no more mini-factions)
    Time for the Dominion to join the game B)
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    I had always wanted whatever extra factions to be independent, like how the KDF & Feds are. Years ago, before LOR was a reality, even as far back as STO's Launch, people wanted the Romulans.

But I was expecting the Romulans to be independent like how the KDF & Feds are from each other and not begging for table scraps from the other two.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited June 2015
    I would rather the Republic get 'promoted' to independent and conclude there (three factions total)
    I had always wanted whatever extra factions to be independent, like how the KDF & Feds are. Years ago, before LOR was a reality, even as far back as STO's Launch, people wanted the Romulans.

But I was expecting the Romulans to be independent like how the KDF & Feds are from each other and not begging for table scraps from the other two.
    most of us also expected to be playing RSE not star wars rebel alliance.
    Ideally Im not against more factions, but consdiering Crytpic is so whiney about 2.5 they killed the fed/kdf war so they could be lazy asses and not develop KDF content.....

• Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I am actually content with the 2.5/3 factions that we've already got - no need for anything else
    I'm happy with the factions we have, but I want to see the non Fed factions get more attention than they do currently.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    It might appear absurd at first to have voted for what I did, but consider the following, eh?

Remove the starting Romulan missions.
    Remove the Flotilla.

You just removed the Romulan faction.

Romulans and Remans could easily remain as playable species for the KDF and Feds.
    Ships, costumes, DOFFs could easily remain as options for those that purchased the playable species.

It's kind of silly when one looks at just how much of a miniscule fraction the Romulan faction actually is...

...and doing so, would make it easier to add:

Additional playable species.
    Additional ships/costumes/etc for those playable species.

No worry about having to design an additional subpar social zone.
    No worry about having to design a few starter missions/tutorial.

Not quite so absurd now, eh?
  • Options
    kaiserkactokaiserkacto Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    I like the idea of more full factions... but before they add more, they should upgrade the RR
    "In every age,
    In every place,
    The deeds of men remain the same..."
    12701.png
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The minifaction system is just a source of stupid recurring bugs (why is my Fed Rom slapping an invisible combadge?) and an enabler of lazy writing.
  • Options
    kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    I'm happy with the way things are, but I wouldn't object to more independent factions, including the Romulans. The one thing I'd like if there were such expansions is that they have access to canon weapons. I would like Romulans to have access to disruptors and photon torpedoes as well as plasma weapons.

And the invisible combadge tap? I would like it if a Romulan Republic combadge were there.
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    My vote should come as no surprise, since it's what I've been saying for two years ...
  • Options
    tomaswilletomaswille Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Not saying i dislike the republic. But i think they should focus on missions. When i got my FED toon, and played all the way through i was dissapointed that the klingon missions where 30 percent differnt... (to level 20) The rest was actually the same... I know in the beginning that klingon missions didnt even had a different start, and that the fans were screaming for more missions, but i really wanted different missions till at least level 50. If they accomplish that, then they can reintroduce the republic, and do the same with their storyline.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    Well it seems pretty clear so far, that most players don't like f(r)actions in the game. Either finish the Romulan Faction (my prefered option, and the one with the least amount of work required) or if you add a new one, make it an actual Full Faction.
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    Anything they add these days is cross-faction anyways, missions doffs crossfaction whatever. Feds, KDF, and Republic each have their arcs of starting missions (and the Rom ones are arguably the best-written anyways). So really what are the Romulans really missing aside from unique doffs and having to grind out yet another starbase? Best not to break something that works.
  • Options
    drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    I would like more mini-factions (like the Republic) added to the game (no more independent factions)
    I'd like to see mini-factions for races already rolled into the Fed and KDF.

Like Orion, Gorn, ferengi and others even if it's just the first 20 levels or so. Some individual context and how they joined their final faction and their ship line.

Won't happen I know.

Other than that, I don't care about new factions at all. Nothing else is out there that I'd ever make a character for.
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    Anything they add these days is cross-faction anyways, missions doffs crossfaction whatever. Feds, KDF, and Republic each have their arcs of starting missions (and the Rom ones are arguably the best-written anyways). So really what are the Romulans really missing aside from unique doffs and having to grind out yet another starbase? Best not to break something that works.

There doesn't have to be any grinding out of new fleet holdings. We've already proposed several solutions, particularly for fleets which have as their heads RRF characters, none of which required starting from scratch.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I think 3 factions is plenty, but they should be actual REAL factions.

Sadly, right now the game only has 1 Faction.. Federation. While the KDF are a faction, they're so overlooked and neglected that it's just ridiculous. The Romulan 'faction' is super lazy, they just folded it into the other two factions and then gave them a super OP ship and BoFFs to compensate.

I would like to see 3 distinct, independent, and well thought out factions.

I don't actually expect it to happen.. I just would like to see it.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    I don't mind them adding in more but, I would prefer ALL factions, to be seperate ones with the choice of who they wish to be allies with!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User

Would be nice if not addressed as "hey, you Federation person!" / "hey, you, Klingon!". :tongue: My Romulans cringe when it happens (I'm looking at you, Ambassador Surrah).

It may not matter to those, who play Fed/KDF mostly. I'm more of a Romulan, so I feel very clearly that I'm half-Romulan, so to speak. I can't even team up with other Romulans, if their allegiance is different!
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    They should have made three from the start or just Fed and Rom (the only two powers left after the Dominion War).
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I would like to see factions reimagined as follows:

UFP (Starfleet) - one unified faction, pretty much as it is now. Member world ships and costumes are fine but all of them are ultimately integrated into Starfleet. Founder worlds should be social hubs.

Klingon Empire - The Empire as main faction should feature subjects and mercenaries/allies as "mini-factions". The "Federation" theme doesn't fit the Klingon Empire. Have one core main faction (Klingons) and Gorn, Orions, Nausicaans and minors (Letheans, Ferasans) be RR-esque minifactions with a short introduction storyline of two or three missions, their own ships and own social hubs in addition to Qo'Nos.

Romulans - one divided faction (civil war) in which players can join loyalists or rebels. Choice influences starships and the unique romulan story - later on, everybody joins forces for the metaplot anyway.

No fourth or more factions for STO. Save that for a successor.

Of course, none of this will happen.

(Edit: spelling)
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    For me it would definately be the mini-factions.

Cryptic has shown us that they're unable to support even 2 independent factions to the point where one is completely neglected and in the end more or less rolled into the first one. Currently, there is barely any difference between Fed and KDF.

So introduce a few more mini-factions and flesh out existing core species with a bit of storyline the same way the Romulans have been treated. Orion, Nausicaan, Cardassian, Bajaoran, non-Starfleet Vulcans... but don't even try to go into that "completly independent factions" TRIBBLE again. Didn't work before, won't work in the future.

/edit:
    gotta love the language filter in the new forum.... censors out "s.uck", but allows "TRIBBLE". :)

• Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    my roms are tired of being kdf or fed pets, they want to be free: for paraphrasing, a famous reman "leave us alone"
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    I'd like to see the factions merged and treated as a single alliance.
  • Options
    jerichoredoranjerichoredoran Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    I dont see much of a point in factions apart from PvP.
    Now considering that most is already cross-faction, especially the social and endgame parts, the remaining aspects are mostly awkward hurdles like double price for KDF doffs or not being able to group before joining STF and the like.
  • Options
    praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    If new factions end up like the KDF or even the Romulans, I don't want any new factions.

Why?

Both the KDF and Romulans start off as cool, with unique missions and decent ship variety. Then you get to 50+ and endgame. Then it's all "shared" missions with copy pasta'd ships from the Feds, if you're lucky. Meanwhile, Feds get more and more ships that the KDF and Romulans don't even get. Case in point: The Romulans still lack a single decent Science ship. The Ha'Nom is a copy pasta of the Fed Recon Sci, but worse due to it's appallingly large size and hitbox.

Long story short, factions start out great but then peter out into nothingness. After a while, you end up doing the same thing as the Feds, but with fewer ship choices. Why bother playing anything but Fed, then?
  • Options
    kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    I never leveled a Romulan.

I was a KDF main for years before I finally caved and went full time Fed. I saw the writing on the wall.

I have way to much invested in my main to worry about what some other faction has.

You guys do what you want to, but re-leveling another faction character has absolutely 0 draw for me.
    I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard