test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New player (50) Space DPS

thisslerthissler Member Posts: 2,055 Arc User
edited June 2015 in The Academy
You can start here.

But, it was pointed out here that that information really sucked. Now THERE's a guy that goes out of his way to hate. :(

And then it was posted here that those other guys are really going on about nothing.

In short. If you're terribly new and need a cheap build to begin your conquest of 50 to 60 and want something simple that works, check it out. If you aren't that person, don't bother with it.

If you read/view that information and come up with "I have something else that works." well, me too. I have a bunch of other somethings that work. Once you've done a hundred or so of these you'll see that you need to pick only one 'something'. This is just one of those somethings and if you're new and follow it, it will put you on the path to discovering all those other somethings on your own, without me or anyone else telling you what those are. Learn the thrill of discovery!

Peace and happy flying!

Edit: Not up on my BBC, and now that I've done the post I'm fearful of going back and editing in color. But the boldface sections have links, if that isn't showing clearly for others. My bad.
Post edited by thissler on

Comments

• gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Post deleted. Pebcak.
  • thisslerthissler Member Posts: 2,055 Arc User
    Dude, if that's anything like an id10T I get those. Life goes on.
    thissler wrote: »
    Dude, if that's anything like an id10T I get those. Life goes on.

Heh, it is an acronym from it support meaning "p.roblem e.xists b.etween k.eyboard and c.hair" but I spelled it wrong. Which should indicate the level of stupidity that had been in my post before I realized it and deleted it. I'm not very awake this morning.
  • tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    Thanks for putting together videos/blogs posts like this. I've read a lot of build information over the last couple weeks and pretty much every time I go away thinking the people that put them together don't remember what it's like when you're new and don't have the resources to put together a decent ship early in the game. It's also nice to see that some of the decisions I've slowly made over time are pretty much matching up with what you've put out.

For example, I had gone with dmg mods (and acc) on my weapons and was laughed at. But since my crith was so low I just felt they would be the better option. Now that my crith is around 12%+ (did a parse recently and was getting 17%+ crits), I'm working on changing them to critd's.

I had also made the decision to use positron deflectors since they gave all resistance modifiers and survivabilty was key. What I didn't know until seeing your video was that you could get a science cooldown on them. Going to have to replace mine for those times when things go bad and I need faster healing and debuffs etc.

It was also very helpful that you pointed out how you should swap armor and shields depending on the missions. Pretty much all the other info out there seems to just stick on general purpose stuff. I've noticed things have improved for me once I started swapping things for some mission.

A week or so ago I was researching impulse engines and found your video about them. That was a huge eye opener for me. Since my power levels are so low when doing nothing, I had just gone with combat engines as that seemed like what I "should" do. Now I've swapped them for Hyper and the difference is very noticeable. I was also blissfully unaware at how you don't see your "real" numbers unless you're checking things while running along in system space. So thank you oh so much for that info.

The one thing that you're lacking (everyone seems to miss this info so it's not just you), is information on how you should be flying the ship and most importantly, using the skills. Perhaps that's something you can do in the future. For example, you use the subspace field modulator in your builds and, although I have it, I haven't put it on my ship as I have no idea if it's something I should be keeping active all the time or something I should use in certain instances. I've got a couple skills/abilities like that.

Again, thanks for the great info.
    edited June 2015
    Per sarcasm detector (one of the highest DPS players in game and all around cool guy) back during plasma doping, damage outperforms critd. Also during levelling and with really low end gear, damage outperforms many other mods. Damage also boosts proc damage, no other mod does (which is why it was good for plasma doping builds). But those are unusual builds and most people copy the top builds rather than learning and making a build. For most people damage is terrible. For other people it is not just good enough, it is the best choice.

I see a ton of people with super low crit % and all critd mods. If they swapped to crith or at least a mix, they'd do way better. But all they know is "critd is the best". *shrug*. You can lead a horse to water... Anyway, cheers to you for knowing when to use what mod.
    TY for reading and the comments guys!
    For the "What to do when you're actually playing." video. Are you thinking along the lines of showing what cool downs that maybe you simply want to rotate, what ones you want to save, and what ones you want to use in a special sequence? I'm working on a shield resistance one, but I'm time flexible.

And, believe it or not, Thissler, one of the somewhat cool guys, long ago broke open the hit tables that had been left lying around by Big Red Jedi, and used it to start the first conversations on Acc/Def and the evil weapons mods. And somewhere back in 2013 explained things like [Dmg] and Beta to the haters. You would have liked those days. Very fiery!

Now if I could find a working link, there was some really good info by this guy who I honestly forget. Rbaker? but I don't think that's his entire handle. He actually has the Debuffs (most of them) broken out as they are actually in different categories. Interesting stuff as Beta stacks very poorly with itself. So things like injuries are really very nice if you can inflict them as they are in a different category. Good stuff. I'm sure some helpful person will stop by and drop a link here.

Again TY for the helpful comments and sure let me know what you think might be helpful for new players and that will give me something to keep busy with!
    Okay I found an OLD video where I did a demo with a friend on how to use the abilities. Now it is pvp and it is ancient. And the actual demo starts at SIX minutes in. Now the video does show how abilities interact with power levels etc. Of course this would need to be redone, but is that the sort of thing you're thinking of?

So anyone else PLEASE don't bother with this very old video. Please only look if you're interested in giving feedback on what type of tutorial? video for PVE would be useful. And apologies for my style, both past and present. Technically and equipment wise it is where I'm at just now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSk0m3Mekbo
    thissler wrote: »
    For the "What to do when you're actually playing." video. Are you thinking along the lines of showing what cool downs that maybe you simply want to rotate, what ones you want to save, and what ones you want to use in a special sequence? I'm working on a shield resistance one, but I'm time flexible.

Yes, that's exactly the sort of thing that would be helpful. And thanks for the video, again, that's exactly the sort of stuff I've been looking for. Even though it was PvP, it's still very helpful. I did notice in there that you used a combat engine in the second part of the video. Was that a trade off in order to get some set bonuses?

Another thing you might want to consider when doing beginner type videos/posts, is using the the free ships. With most builds I've looked at, people use ships that cost zen, ec and/or fleet credits. Those seem to have more consoles or different boff slots and so they end up being able to slot in more skills etc. When you still don't understand how things should work together, it's not easy to make the right trade offs in order to get close to those builds and we probably make decisions that are more of a detriment. At this point in the game I'm also not only "poor", but I'm still in the mind set of wanting to use faction specific ships lol.

Here's a little more about where I'm at in the game as it may give you some ideas for other videos or the sort of info you may want to include.

My main toon is an rom/kdf eng flying a beam array Ha'apax and I'm doing pretty well in it now especially since I respec'd to get rid of some of my very poor choices. Perhaps a video about what to spend your skills on would be something you could do down the road. Maybe, "here's what every build should have as it's base" and then point out where you would spend things depending on what sort of profession and build you end up with. Early in the game, PvE is very straight forward and we probably make choices based on what we've seen to date. But then at about lvl 40 I think, you suddenly start running into tractor beams. I had no resist for that. Then you hit the borg and they drain your shields in the blink of an eye. That Assimilated mission was like a slap in the face. Now I'm running into sensor jamming. And then of course there's the Iconians that I've only experienced in the featured mission but know I'm going to have real problems with. So some of the skills you think you don't need early on, you need at least some in later and by then you could have sort of messed things up lol.

At the start, I was clicking like crazy on things and just getting overwhelmed. So I implemented the hilbertguide keybind/macro and things got a lot better since I could focus more on the actual combat. Found your macro info as well recently and implemented a "oh oh, let's get out of dodge" one. A few days back, I realized that the distribute shields was probably making my tac team be less effective and so I took that out and mapped it to a mouse button. Much better and highlights how we can take the information we find and combine it to actually be detrimental. I also found that using auto fire on the weapons was sort of redundant given the "fire all weapons" in the macro and also didn't give me as much flexibility for those times where you need to use a bit more strategy and actually stop shooting things. I'm still not sure what to do with EPS Power Transfer. I have it in my rotation but with such a long cool down I often wonder if I could be doing something better with that slot. I'm also wondering if I should swap around my EPTW2s and EPTS3s or maybe have one of each. Those are more fine tuning things I suppose.

My 2nd toon, which I haven't been playing much lately as I'm not sure what to do with the build, is a kdf tac in a heavy raptor with DHCs. It's damage output feels ok at this point but when I get into trouble I just don't have the heals etc. I think I've also tried doing A2B on it which just isn't working out at all for me. This is one of those instances where I was trying to follow build advice but they were using purchased ships. And of course it requires a different play style that I haven't really figured out yet. I do know you have a video with a raptor in it and I'll be going back to review it even though it's using rep gear I don't have yet.

Since I want to experience "everything" in the game, my third toon will be a fed sci in a torp build even though what I've been looking into a bit indicates it's more difficult to handle.

Anyway, again thanks for your videos and posts as I've found them very helpful.
    westmetals wrote: »

I am not a big fan of using videos as a medium in general, but a lot of basic concepts can be communicated without it.

The crit builds for example... I've seen different people run the numbers different ways, but crit severity really shines with base crit chance up above 10-15%. Note that if you are a tac captain, you get an extra 5% from AP Alpha (this is why I give the opening number as a range). It's fairly easy - not cheap but easy - to stack crit chance that high. I've personally done a 25.0% build (it parses closer to 30 I'm told, due to tac captain AP Alpha. I didn't see the raw data as a friend parsed it for me; I have never been able to figure out how to do so myself), and there is still at least three ways I can upgrade that build in terms of getting more (there's at least one easy-to-get console that gives crit chance that I could use but am not using, and two of the BOFFs don't have any form of romulan trait).

A lot of basic builds don't even take full advantage of things as "basic" as energy type-matching, the energy-specific tac consoles, and custom power levels.

I'm with you on the video thing. I find that combining a video with a blog post I can get a lot more information across successfully. I call it "Multimedia".

Okay kidding. I do call it that, but it isn't news. The point is I like to do exactly what you say as it gives people a choice as to how they want to consume the information.

For instance the bit on when critical chance starts to get really good, and therefore severity starts to get really good, is those written posts. Here's a post that does show how the two critical stats interact to give a product, that players can actually use just like DPS to beat each other over the head with! Just kidding there as well. I know it's likely people will do it, but you shouldn't. It's sort of a useful number, but I still prefer the profile ratio as that gives a nice idea of how the build does damage. >Here's the Link<

And Tempus that's a long post. Quickly though, I used combat engines in that video as I hadn't tested them out myself yet. The Breen set also had combat engines, but I just wanted to use a cool set and get the torpedo bonus. I do tend to make "Budget Build" videos. Is what I call them. I know. I'm adorable.

>Here is a link to my websites "Budget Build" section.< You'll see it has been untouched for a bit.

Also, check out the "damage mitigation and you" blog. It covers Iconians a bit. Now I suppose what I need to do is make up a new video with more of that Iconian (or newest stuff) information, show common counters/tactics, write it up and publish?

TY for the comments guys and the suggestions! Peace! And if you USE any social media. Like and share that stuff. MOST of the people that find it, don't find it from these forums. It's users that really make the difference.

Anyone interested in torpedo builds needs to follow oden knight on Reddit:
    https://www.reddit.com/user/odenknight

No one does it better.
    Yup. I love all that stuff. But there's a reason why I don't put it out there myself. Because it starts like this:

"Get your Iconian set completed and watch your numbers run away..."

Oh okay! Let me get on that. It's a common theme. It would be EXTREMELY difficult at end game gear level to *&^( that stuff up. You would have to actively sabotage yourself to fail at doing damage. It's that easy. Once you have all those nifty toys.
    That's true of many generic posters. But when the person asking the question states their budget etc the good responses take it into consideration.

And torpedo builds aren't using any flavor of the month stuff.
  • paxdawnpaxdawn Member Posts: 767 Arc User

Exactly. There's people who ask, "I'm flying this ship, how do I optimize it"... and half the responses they get are "this ship is better". Those are trash... because they ignored the question.

If the question were like that specific. However, I havent seen a player advice with that kind of specific wording and others advising them a different ship.

Because if the question were I want the best optimized ship or I want to get past X DPS in the game is very different from I want to optimize my current ship setup.
    What I see it as is: "Maybe there's a roleplaying reason (or some other reason) that they want to be flying that particular ship.

Exactly. As I said in a previous post, I'm still at the point where I'm "roleplaying". I love my Ha'apax for my Romulan and I plan on buying the Haakona to get the Dual Vector Separation console to play with and then I'll most likely get the Fleet Ha'apax to use it on regardless of the negative things I've read about it. Once I've done all I feel I can do with that, then I'll probably go out and get the "best" DPS type ship or something.

So I went ahead and started a fed sci to get up to 11 to just do some doffing on it for now and probably dil farming. Also want to get some of the Risa stuff for it while I can. Good lord does the fed side have a lot of bugs. But I must say sci is damn fun! Stripping those shields away fast and then hitting things with high yield torpedos and having things blow up fast. Didn't experience that sort of thing with my other two toons that early in the game lol.

Oh Tempus, as for your fed sci in a torpedo build... may I suggest that when you get there, running them with an Intrepid-class as their T5 and/or T6? The T5 Intrepid's console does... interesting things... for all-torpedo builds.

Are you referring to the Long Range Science Vessel Retrofit that has the Ablative Generator? None of the other long range ones seem to have that. Was thinking the Pathfinder would be the final ship but I notice it doesn't have it either. Will need to map out my progression I suppose.
  • e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    tempus64 wrote: »
    Oh Tempus, as for your fed sci in a torpedo build... may I suggest that when you get there, running them with an Intrepid-class as their T5 and/or T6? The T5 Intrepid's console does... interesting things... for all-torpedo builds.

Are you referring to the Long Range Science Vessel Retrofit that has the Ablative Generator? None of the other long range ones seem to have that. Was thinking the Pathfinder would be the final ship but I notice it doesn't have it either. Will need to map out my progression I suppose.

Correct. It can also be used on the Pathfinder but does not come with it.

The Pathfinder is my main ship. Personally, I found that console to be too situational for my play style. It may not be as tanky, but it's sturdy enough to survive unless I make an error.

Some people could probably make it work better than I can.
  • ryakidrysryakidrys Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Here's a little more about where I'm at in the game as it may give you some ideas for other videos or the sort of info you may want to include.

My main toon is an rom/kdf eng flying a beam array Ha'apax and I'm doing pretty well in it now especially since I respec'd to get rid of some of my very poor choices. Perhaps a video about what to spend your skills on would be something you could do down the road. Maybe, "here's what every build should have as it's base" and then point out where you would spend things depending on what sort of profession and build you end up with. Early in the game, PvE is very straight forward and we probably make choices based on what we've seen to date. But then at about lvl 40 I think, you suddenly start running into tractor beams. I had no resist for that. Then you hit the borg and they drain your shields in the blink of an eye. That Assimilated mission was like a slap in the face. Now I'm running into sensor jamming. And then of course there's the Iconians that I've only experienced in the featured mission but know I'm going to have real problems with. So some of the skills you think you don't need early on, you need at least some in later and by then you could have sort of messed things up lol.

If you don't mind a tanky setup/ tilt to lvl 40 cruiser builds like your Ha'apax, the video linked below could be of help. It is some decent info, though personal preferences could have you shift things around a little here and there.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFF2LUxRWxQ
    So I went ahead and started a fed sci to get up to 11 to just do some doffing on it for now and probably dil farming. Also want to get some of the Risa stuff for it while I can. Good lord does the fed side have a lot of bugs. But I must say sci is damn fun! Stripping those shields away fast and then hitting things with high yield torpedos and having things blow up fast. Didn't experience that sort of thing with my other two toons that early in the game lol.

Try it kdf side sometime. BoPs get all universal slots so you can run any combo of powers you want. Science captain make horrible use of science ships because their powers (except the shield buff) don't have any synergy with science ship stats. But they are amazingly well suited for a raider like the bop. And since science captain powers are all high impact short duration long cooldown... Getting +35% damage from behind in a raider really lets you spike the kills in the 20 second window their powers have. Unlike tactical or engineer captain's who have powers with 30 second durations.

Scientist in a bop is probably my favorite combination of captain and ship in the whole game. For exactly the experience you describe.
    ryakidrys wrote: »

If you don't mind a tanky setup/ tilt to lvl 40 cruiser builds like your Ha'apax, the video linked below could be of help. It is some decent info, though personal preferences could have you shift things around a little here and there.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFF2LUxRWxQ

Well actually, when I was struggling with that one you came out with your videos and they helped greatly. Been meaning to give your thread some love but haven't made it back over there.

e30ernest wrote: »

The Pathfinder is my main ship. Personally, I found that console to be too situational for my play style. It may not be as tanky, but it's sturdy enough to survive unless I make an error.

I made my final decision on a sci/torp toon after I watched the video about your ship so thanks for putting that out there. Is your skill allocation up to date on the planner? Would you change things a bit if you respec'd? Been holding a lot of my points back except for the basics as I haven't yet looked into what would be important for sci.

I made my final decision on a sci/torp toon after I watched the video about your ship so thanks for putting that out there. Is your skill allocation up to date on the planner? Would you change things a bit if you respec'd? Been holding a lot of my points back except for the basics as I haven't yet looked into what would be important for sci.

Glad someone enjoyed it. :smiley:

Yes the skill planner in my sig is up to date (skill point wise). Will I re-spec it? Well right now it works well enough for this ship and how I want to build it so for now it'll stay at that. In the future I may very well change it if I start flying a build that needs it or another ship that needs it. That skillset however would allow you to switch easily between a gravgen and a partgen build easily and still make a respectable drain boat (though not as powerful with full flowcaps).

I was just making the point that it is quite useful (and has virtually no negative side effects) if you're running a 100% torpedo-based build; it's pretty much the only Federation ship that has special abilities in that direction (since we don't have Enhanced Battlecloak). I've used it a few times when I find myself close-up to groups of exploding enemies (it works a lot better than Brace for Impact), which can easily happen with a Gravity Well/Torpedo Spread combo.
    Oh don't get me wrong, I didn't say it was a bad console. In fact, I think it is a pretty good defensive console for torpedo boats. I used it on my Retrofit and for a short while, my Pathfinder. However, as my playstyle and build evolved, it became less useful to me. That's why I said other players will find better use for it and make it work better than I can. :smile:
  • kittyflofykittyflofy Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    Per sarcasm detector (one of the highest DPS players in game and all around cool guy) .

This is the same guy that by time to time post DPS achievements in the OFFICIAL forums, making cryptic to raise even more the DPS race??? oh yeah... how smart he is... (or she) lool.
  • paxdawnpaxdawn Member Posts: 767 Arc User
    kittyflofy wrote: »
    Per sarcasm detector (one of the highest DPS players in game and all around cool guy) .

This is the same guy that by time to time post DPS achievements in the OFFICIAL forums, making cryptic to raise even more the DPS race??? oh yeah... how smart he is... (or she) lool.

Blame and scapegoat again?

There has been power creep left and right. Why retain the DPS minimum requirement in level 50 NPCs when you are fighting level 60 NPCs? Most importantly, the player isnt level 50 anymore but level 60 or above if you consider specializations an extra level.

The DPS minimum requirement is very low in advance compared to the maximum potential to the point that achieving that minimum requirement which includes optionals wont let you pass the 10k DPS space channel. If the Devs based this on the capabilities or video of the DPS wizards, only a handful of players should be able to do any of the content since they are doing more than 10x the current minimum requirement DPS for advance.