test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Welcome to the brand new STO forums on Vanilla!

xtern1tyxtern1ty Member Posts: 796 Arc User
Migration seems largely complete though a few more updates is probably to be expected. While Trendy gets her completion blog ready, I'll list a few of the advancements and you can share feedback. Among some of the new features:
  1. Enhanced user profile- Includes features like status bar, image and video embedding in profile posts!
  2. Increased page layout- 3x more posts appear per page now, 30 compared to the old 10, plus the original; making it easier to navigate long threads.
  3. Flag post- Ability for users to flag inappropriate posts for review or removal.
  4. User notifications- To notify a user you can mention them in your post by typing their forum @handle.
  5. BBCode- You can now use BBCode for more functionality. You can find more information on BBCode in the BBCode Wiki and at bbcode.org.
  6. Drafts- Every minute, the forum automatically saves a draft of your post so if the power goes out or you have to rush to work, you'll be able to retrieve your unfinished post in the Saved Drafts tab of your forum Profile page. *Feature may be de-activated as of migration completion*
  7. Bookmarks- Click the star icon on the upper right side of posts to add them to your Bookmarks, accessible from the Bookmarks tab in your profile
  8. Images and Videos- You can include images and video in all forum posts as well as conventional links. Images and video included in posts must comply to rules.
  9. Animated profile and signature images- Animated GIF's are supported in these forums. To upload an animated profile picture: Go to your account page at: https://www.arcgames.com/en/my/account upload a new animated GIF profile picture and Save. To set an animated GIF forum signature go to your forum signature editor at http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/profile/signature paste the link to an uploaded animated GIF and click Save. You can also include links, quotes and arrange your signature using BBCode.
  10. Settings- If flashy sigs get you tipsy, you can turn them off from your signature editorhttp://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/profile/signature by unchecking the checkbox labeled Hide Signatures. You can also set custom notifications on or off by going to your Notification Preferences.
  11. Messaging- Send and receive messages, start a private convo or chat with other forum users right from your profile.
  12. Advanced Features- Advanced features like polls are available as well so feel free to browse around and see what you can discover!

What do you like most? Feel free to share below along with your thoughts and comparisons. Cheers! <3

Comments

• khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    xtern1ty wrote: »
    [*] Increased page layout- 3x more posts appear per page now, 30 compared to the old 10, plus the original; making it easier to navigate long threads.

Have to disagree that this makes it 'easier'. I actually really hope they reduce it a bit. I think 15-20 max posts per page is much easier to navigate. 30 per page just makes the pages far too long.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • xtern1tyxtern1ty Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    [*] Increased page layout- 3x more posts appear per page now, 30 compared to the old 10, plus the original; making it easier to navigate long threads.

Have to disagree that this makes it 'easier'. I actually really hope they reduce it a bit. I think 15-20 max posts per page is much easier to navigate. 30 per page just makes the pages far too long.

Perhaps faster is a better word. When loading pages I like to get the max post count possible to load while I read, so I don't mind longer pages on desktop. It might not work as well for mobile though.

The loading times here are snappier compared to the old forums, I think partly due to better organization and less load, but also because not too many users are on yet lol.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User

Perhaps allowing users to select what they want displayed would be helpful. I like the longer pages myself, but I understand not everyone does.

Also, a "Back to Top" button might alleviate some of this concern even on the longer setting.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • xtern1tyxtern1ty Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    gulberat wrote: »

Perhaps allowing users to select what they want displayed would be helpful. I like the longer pages myself, but I understand not everyone does.

Also, a "Back to Top" button might alleviate some of this concern even on the longer setting.

Yes, totally agree with that. It's possible there will probably be a period of tweaking for the first few weeks or months to adjust stuff. I am looking forward if they activate the badges feature for users, fingers crossed on that one.
  • wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited June 2015
  • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    Could we make it so links aren't the same color as normal text (can you find the link in my post)?
    Could we make it so links aren't the same color as normal text (can you find the link in my post)?

I can, very easily, because I'm using custom CSS.
    Check out this post. (Coloured the link for you :tongue:)
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    Enhanced user profile- Includes features like status bar, image and video embedding in profile posts!

Being able to disable embedding would be awesome!
    Increased page layout- 3x more posts appear per page now, 30 compared to the old 10, plus the original; making it easier to navigate long threads.

Being able to set it to 10 would be awesome!
    Flag post- Ability for users to flag inappropriate posts for review or removal.

Having more choices beside Spamming and Insulting would be awesome!
    User notifications- To notify a user you can mention them in your post by typing their forum @handle.

That we can disable receiving those notifications is awesome!
    BBCode- You can now use BBCode for more functionality. You can find more information on BBCode in the BBCode Wiki and at bbcode.org.

Um...we could before.
    Drafts- Every minute, the forum automatically saves a draft of your post so if the power goes out or you have to rush to work, you'll be able to retrieve your unfinished post in the Saved Drafts tab of your forum Profile page. *Feature may be de-activated as of migration completion*

It might get into a bit of the have a sandwich thing, but as somebody that's had a tendency to do pretty verbose posts in the past; well...yeah, doing it in another program and saving often is a pretty standard thing.
    Bookmarks- Click the star icon on the upper right side of posts to add them to your Bookmarks, accessible from the Bookmarks tab in your profile

Nothing really to say about that.
    Images and Videos- You can include images and video in all forum posts as well as conventional links. Images and video included in posts must comply to rules.

As mentioned earlier, being able to disable that so they are just links would really be awesome.
    Animated profile and signature images- Animated GIF's are supported in these forums. To upload an animated profile picture: Go to your account page at: https://www.arcgames.com/en/my/account upload a new animated GIF profile picture and Save. To set an animated GIF forum signature go to your forum signature editor at http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/profile/signature paste the link to an uploaded animated GIF and click Save. You can also include links, quotes and arrange your signature using BBCode.

Being able to disable animated images would be super awesome!
    Settings- If flashy sigs get you tipsy, you can turn them off from your signature editorhttp://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/profile/signature by unchecking the checkbox labeled Hide Signatures. You can also set custom notifications on or off by going to your Notification Preferences.

Being able to disable signatures and signature images is the best feature these forums offer...it's awesome!
    Messaging- Send and receive messages, start a private convo or chat with other forum users right from your profile.

Different from what we had how?
    Advanced Features- Advanced features like polls are available as well so feel free to browse around and see what you can discover!

Yeah, things which were prohibited by the old forum rules are no a feature...that's just an awesome joke.
    What do you like most? Feel free to share below along with your thoughts and comparisons. Cheers! <3

What do I like most? The ability to hide signatures and signature images!
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User

You don't need CSS to do that. You can use simple BBCode to do it. Basically, if you quote your post there (like I did here)...the BBCode's right there. It's simply a color="#0070c0" opening tag with a color closing tag wrapping the text. It's a wham-bam-done sort of thing. Could even throw in the u opening and closing tags to underline the link.
  • charychary Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    Literally the only improvement this forum has over the old one is that at least one of these damn games has a decently active off-topic section. pig-28.gif

You don't need CSS to do that. You can use simple BBCode to do it. Basically, if you quote your post there (like I did here)...the BBCode's right there. It's simply a color="#0070c0" opening tag with a color closing tag wrapping the text. It's a wham-bam-done sort of thing. Could even throw in the u opening and closing tags to underline the link.

... I think you missed what I was telling him about custom CSS for. Not because it's the only way to colour a post (I know how to use BBCode), but because custom CSS will make it so links stand out without any form of alteration by the poster. It's pretty standard for websites and forums to auto highlight links so I'm sure they'll eventually get round to it here, but until they do I prefer having it done via CSS because not everybody will highlight their own links to make them obvious in a post. :)
  • charychary Member Posts: 116 Arc User

... I think you missed what I was telling him about custom CSS for. Not because it's the only way to colour a post (I know how to use BBCode), but because custom CSS will make it so links stand out without any form of alteration by the poster. It's pretty standard for websites and forums to auto highlight links so I'm sure they'll eventually get round to it here, but until they do I prefer having it done via CSS because not everybody will highlight their own links to make them obvious in a post. :)

This is pwe tho. We had a forum skin change on PWI forums like a year and a half ago and had white text with white colored links ever since then. They never fixed it and I kinda doubt they're planning on fixing anything with these new forums that isn't a blatant security risk.