test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

LLAP Powerboard nerf

Summer Event:

Adjusting stats of the Targ H.O.G., Klingon Empire, United Federation of Planets, and Romulan Republic faction Powerboards based on player feedback:
These boards are now Ultra Rare quality, with 65 speed rating, 150 turn rating, and same inertia compared to other boards.
So, those of us who bought the 'Live Long and Prosper' boards, which until yesterday were on a level playing field with the factional boards, are now screwed. You'd think that if you go to the trouble to make the new art for this board as a tribute to Mr. Nimoy that it'd be top of the line.

Yeah, I get that Lohlunat Favors are easy to get, but even so for a casual player like me, 1500 favors is 5-6 days' worth of play rewards. It'd be nice to offer a buy-back on the LLAP boards - even if it was only a 50%-75% refund.
"You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
--Red Annorax

Comments

• royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    Laugh all you like. Point is, it was equal. Now it is not.
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • sanusisanusisanusisanusi Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    Point is, they shouldn't have been equal and now they are not.
    sig2.jpg
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Those boards cause more outcry, rage and whine than the games' gamebreaking problems ever did. It's... fascinating.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    There is a strange determination to make the summer event "pick to win" compared to the winter event hop to win. Surely next year we will need the 2000 favor board?
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    Change is the enemy.
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    I'm planning to get one of these on my Vulcan, and I would pay 1500 Lohlunat Favors for it if they would make it equal to the factional and Targ boards.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    There is a strange determination to make the summer event "pick to win" compared to the winter event hop to win. Surely next year we will need the 2000 favor board?

No, next year we'll need this years 1,500 favor targ board + the new uber 2016 lohlunat tribble with double the speed buff + "season 11 rep tier 3" ground trait + a 1,000 favor new 2016 risian doff with ground speed buff + new 1,200 favor upgraded powerboard engine. Because next year they'll add moddable engines instead of new boards and floaters.

Also, for the first week doing the jester dance while on the board will give a speed buff, but they'll fix that in the first patch. Then by the third week people will have figured out that the 2016 anniversary special nerve tonic gives a huge speed boost and you can't win without that. Unfortunately it will be unavailable on the ah for less than 1 million each.

There may or may not be lock box items that throw off this prediction.

I may or may not be really, really, REALLY bored at work right now.
  • velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    Can't the LLAP boards be buffed a little so that they are better than what's out there and still be slightly inferior to the 1500 boards?
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    It wasnt nerfed and excuse me as I point out and laugh at the notion of a 1500 favors board needing to be only as good as a 1000 favors board.

Funny how no one cared last year -- we were fine paying extra for a cool cosmetic choice. Now that's not good enough. "I paid more, I deserve to win!" is all I'm reading here.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User

Funny how no one cared last year -- we were fine paying extra for a cool cosmetic choice. Now that's not good enough. "I paid more, I deserve to win!" is all I'm reading here.

That sounds about right. I think if the race must be best board rules then the speed differences should be less - maybe 58, 60, 62 , 64. It seems more than silly to me the speed difference between standard and superior and super superior.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• excalbur2008excalbur2008 Member Posts: 3

It wasnt nerfed and excuse me as I point out and laugh at the notion of a 1500 favors board needing to be only as good as a 1000 favors board.

Yep pretty much.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    velqua wrote: »
    Can't the LLAP boards be buffed a little so that they are better than what's out there and still be slightly inferior to the 1500 boards?

Only way to do that would be to buff one of the two stats to match the faction boards. Other than that... *shrug*
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • sleel43sleel43 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    velqua wrote: »

Only way to do that would be to buff one of the two stats to match the faction boards. Other than that... *shrug*

Or they could have left the damn things alone and made the only thing 1500 lolwuts bought was a fancy skin rather then a variation on a theme. As it stands now, if you don't have a faction board or the targ, you may as well not waste the lols and buy a 50 since you aren't gonna place anyway.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    People say that about a lot of things.
    As it is... that's only a minor buff over the VR boards. Doesn't mean squat as far as I'm concerned. Yes, speed helps, but you gotta be able to maneuver, and one mistake can cost you the race.

And how can anyone say the LLAP board was "Nerfed" when nothing about the board was even touched?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    Perhaps they could solve some of this by letting some boards (like the LLAP board) have a special effect, where they get a small speed boost when the do some ramps? (Little bit more than what current boards get, but not enough that it trivializes the Faction and Targ boards). That way it would encourage people to do the ramps, instead of avoiding them.

Except that last year, the superior faction boards were not simply different cosmetically, they were the top of the line in terms of speed. So yeah, this is not a matter of entitlement, but power creep. If a new board is going to be introduced which renders the old ones obsolete, it (a) should cost more than the old ones, and (b) should be available with more cosmetic differences than just a one size fits all. I'm not primarily a Fed player; most of my characters are Romulan (six Romulans), and I have an equal number of Fed (one Vulcan, one Alien) and KDF characters (two Orions), but I can't see my Fed characters or my Romulan characters wanting to ride around on a board with a Targ on it (and, tbh, I don't see my Orions doing so either, since they are very definitely culturally Orion and not Klingon, but they might be more willing to ride a board with the symbol of the Klingon Empire).
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    protogoth wrote: »
    (...) but I can't see my Fed characters or my Romulan characters wanting to ride around on a board with a Targ on it (and, tbh, I don't see my Orions doing so either, since they are very definitely culturally Orion and not Klingon, but they might be more willing to ride a board with the symbol of the Klingon Empire).

This is something a few people brought up. I mean, isn't this the equivalent of having soldiers that, on vacation a beach, will only wear their countries' national flag bathing suits/shorts?

The Targ board is, at least the way I see it, not something the Klingon Empire or the Klingon Defense Force manufacters and distributes, it's a waveboard which, if it's from the Homeworld or other Klingon worlds, probably privately manufactred by some Klingons wanting something "stylish" to ride the waves. I mean Klingons also make heavy metal music for fun - there's more than just Imperial Military Klingons. So the boards are pretty much open to everyone.

Now, don't get me wrong, if the characters one plays just wouldn't use it that's completely okay. My caitian though is fond of Targs and fits very well on this board, my Klingon Targ handler (unable to do that in-game, of course :P) of course also got one (yeah, I guess it's not too surprising I dig the Targ board :D). My Klingulan which is actually a Garidian will probably go for a neutral one, My Tellarite is undecided (but would look awesome on one I guess :D) and so forth.

Point is, the Targ is not a "faction board". It's just a fun-time beach item.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    Except that last year, the superior faction boards were not simply different cosmetically, they were the top of the line in terms of speed.

They were the same speed as other superior boards.
    And people complained enormously when the Romulan board was introduced in the middle of the season. They wanted to be able to trade in their Klingon/Fed board for the cooler Romulan board without having to buy it all over again.
    swamarian wrote: »
    Except that last year, the superior faction boards were not simply different cosmetically, they were the top of the line in terms of speed.

They were the same speed as other superior boards.
    And people complained enormously when the Romulan board was introduced in the middle of the season. They wanted to be able to trade in their Klingon/Fed board for the cooler Romulan board without having to buy it all over again.

That's not how I remember it. I remember complaining that there was no Romulan board (and that building a "Romulan" monument resulted in a Klingon monument), before it was added, after asking about it politely a couple of times. Then I was steadfastly going to refuse to buy ANY surfboard until that situation became rectified, but I kept seeing how much fun my fleetmates were having and I broke down and bought one of the non-faction superior boards. And it may simply have been a matter of others having gotten used to boards before I had one (because the board alone isn't sufficient to win), but the board I bought never won a race against a KDF or Fed board.

Then when they finally did give us Romulan boards, they came with the refund for anyone who had bought Fed or KDF boards (nobody had to complain), but not if we bought any other superior board, as if we should be happy to have been allowed to buy a board we didn't really want because the one we did want wasn't available. I'm still annoyed over that whole affair of seeming to ignore the RRF and then adding insult to injury by letting us build a "Romulan" sand monument that turned out to be a Klingon sand monument, and then pouring salt in the wound by not giving a refund on the superior board I bought because it wasn't factional.

But I was pleased that they did something to rectify the monument issue fairly quickly, whereas the board issue took them longer to even acknowledge, let alone address. And in spite of getting no refund, I bought a Romulan board anyway and gave the other one to one of my BOffs to hold in case they ever did decide to do the fair thing and refund for that.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    Laugh all you like. Point is, it was equal. Now it is not.

Point is, you get the performance you pay for. QQ moar, plz. :p