test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Time In A Bottle: SPOILERS

So, the latest mission:

The Good:
-Liked the way Nog was used, and Aron Eisenberg did his VA work pretty well without hamming it up (Denise Crosby I'm looking at you).
-Good story driven stuff for the most part, felt like a significant plot-relevant episode.
The Conference was great, and I loved how each of the background attendees looked different.

The Bad:
-Qwen. Just Qwen. Why is he still breathing? Feds might JUST arrest him, any self-respecting Klingon would almost certainly gut him (Rule 192), and even nicer Romulans would probably come up with something fairly unpleasant for him.
-The space section seeming to forget that most all Romulans, most Klingons, and a fair number of Feds have cloaking devices now. It a rather significant plot hole in setting up the drama.
-The ground combat section, Nog doesn't know how to pick a defensive position does he? (Then again, I HATE ground combat so I'm biased)
-The grand reveal finale: ARE YOU ******* KIDDING ME???? Are we REALLY going to build that kind of doomsday weapon? The Feds might try and be careful with it, but they have elements fully willing to play nasty, and even playing nice the unintended consequences would probably be disastrous. The Klingons may find it dishonorable to use such a weapon, but the desperate and the less honorable would be trigger happy. The Romulan Republic has a long list of reasons to consider changing history to be less painful for them, and you know anything the Republic learns, RSE infiltrators will learn. And then there's what happens when third parties learn of the tech and start looking into it, the Dominion or the Voth or the Vaadwaur or the Borg. Its just going to trade one cataclysm for another. They can't be serious.

All in all I consider it relatively better than House Pegh, and yay for Nog and all, but the rest of the mission still just sloppy writing.

What do other people think?

Comments

• guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    There was a conference? I crashed to desktop at some point in a middle of a cutscene, and it seems I missed some content (I logged back into the middle of the map and with completed options done, but not exactly at the same point I left crashing).

I enjoyed the mission in general. More story and content than just pew pew pew.

I must admit my first thought about the new weapon re:Romulans was similar to OP. I played as my main Rommie, and the first thing she thought was "how many people I know would like to lay their hands on it to undo Hobus, and have their families and lives back?" And she is a Republican.

Very morally shady ;) But I don't consider it sloppy writing, but an opportunity for more writing, conflict, problems, and what not :D
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    I loved the mission. We learned more about the Iconians (there are twelve of them, apparently), the voice acting was pretty good (Nog especially), the Krenim are back (having survived the same way the Devidians do!) and there are lots of tie-ins to Voyager. It really felt like a Star Trek episode. Overall, I think it's the best mission we've gotten since Surface Tension.

And yes, it might seem weird that Starfleet is considering building Annorax's ship. But under the circumstances, I think they'd be crazy not to at least consider the possibilities.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    I Loved it...

The Conference was AMAZING!
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    imo cryptic devs should take up machinima as a hobby or go to work for pixar or whatnot rather than sadistically enforcing a no-skip rule on 3 huge cutscenes.
    Post edited by tehbubbaloo on
  • nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    primar13 wrote: »
    I Loved it...

The Conference was AMAZING!
    ahem, sorry, what conference? i did all the mission, i read every single text and heard every single voice over, but i see no conference... at what point of the mission there is? maybe i skipped it for error, idk :(
  • farshorefarshore Member Posts: 353 Arc User
    Conference? What conference?
  • freakiumfreakium Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    I'm just wondering if the Chroniton Split Beam Rifle is using a placeholder for its visuals or something, Right now it's pretty much just a standard Federation Rifle that fires a crazy blue beam.

The gun's icon definitely looks different so I'm hoping the gun model is just a placeholder.
    m12Pkoj.png
  • themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I generally enjoyed the mission. A few complaints:
    • Why can't we at least arrest Qwen (I mean, he did try to kill us in the DQ arc.)?
    • Nog's VO got a little annoying at some parts.

But otherwise, I liked it. Anyone else notice that L'Miren (the blue Iconian) doesn't appear to have legs?
    Post edited by themetalstickman on
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
    edited June 2015
    The Conference is what I am calling the Meeting of our new Iconian Overlords. :lol:

THE WHOLE MUST BE AS ONE!

gmQYfrk.jpg

ps... I am using spoilers cause I like too... :) and I heard a few people had crashing issues
  • kaiserkactokaiserkacto Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    What or Who is "The One"?
    Is some kind of metaphor for the reunification of the iconians?
    Or is an independent entity, presumably more powerful than the iconians, and, probably a bigger fish for future expansions?

Also... WTF with the vessel? there is a lot of potential backstabbing with this, especially if the Krenim want to rebuild their empire. My guess is; IF the alliance is going to build it, it will be conveniently destroyed after use it.

I liked the episode more than The house of Pegh, and it made a bit more of sense
    "In every age,
    In every place,
    The deeds of men remain the same..."
    12701.png
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I liked the mission, It answered a few questions, including what the next lock box ship will be :D

Anyway, this might not belong here, but I gotta say, the forums might be one big flamin trollfest, but it's damned good to be back ! :)

Talkin about Trek, playin the game, it keeps it all alive. I love it, even when I hate it !
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    Really enjoyed this mission. It felt engaging and relevant to the overall progression of the story. Aron Eisenberg's voice work was excellent.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    Ah, so I crashed on a cutscene and missed the whole conference. :( Fingers crossed it'll go smoothly today on my other toon.
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I loved it. Nog was awesome. His voice acting was great and really felt like the same Nog from DS9.

Also the episode gives you a Ferengi trader duty officer with a special active duty ground ability. :D
    screenshot_2015-06-19-01-32-07_zps4uev17za.jpg~original

You so funny Cryptic. Me likey new doff. :p
    Also the episode gives you a Ferengi trader duty officer with a special active duty ground ability. :D
    screenshot_2015-06-19-01-32-07_zps4uev17za.jpg~original

You so funny Cryptic. Me likey new doff. :p

Yeah, I made a little latinum while shooting Tholians for marks :D
    The Bad:
    -Qwen. Just Qwen. Why is he still breathing? Feds might JUST arrest him, any self-respecting Klingon would almost certainly gut him (Rule 192), and even nicer Romulans would probably come up with something fairly unpleasant for him.

If you're a Federation Starfleet Officer, you have to get used to people shooting you, and not shooting back.
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    So:
    There are 12 Iconians, looking for a 13th - aka "The Other". To make the whole, as one. Where have I heard this before Head 6? Care to fill me in... And tell TM'Cavil to get lost... :tongue:

And that ship we see the plans for?
    I'm seeing red herring, it'll be something else that ends the war. If the writers know what's good for them, that is. The temporal paradox that occurs when you wipe the very reason for getting the plans in the first place is going to be hard enough to overcome, nevermind the rest of the temporal paradoxes and dealing with Temporal Instigations...

Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    I enjoyed the episode. Good mix of combat with some nice plot information included too.

Not sure why I had to hide in an asteroid though when I could just cloak my ship?!?!
    Also that ship looks to be a bit of a wrong turn for the alliance. I'm sensing we'll at some point get the Rommies wanting to use it to return to their power they had pre-Hobus and that'll put them at odds with the Feds and Klingons. Seriously, just imagine if Sela got hold of the dammed thing.
    SulMatuul.png
  • themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    Well, I hear from that one source that
    we are going to cause a bad temporal incursion and we'll have to restore the timeline in a later episode.

Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
    Who said the "Other" was an iconians...

iirc the Preservers called it the Other First...

My Money is that once we build this Ship. Annorax will come back and take over and be the Big Baddie for X3

Although I really want X3 to be DS9 Related. Due to Gekos Statement in G&T that this episode would have repercussion up and through X3
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    dareau wrote: »
    So:
    There are 12 Iconians, looking for a 13th - aka "The Other". To make the whole, as one. Where have I heard this before Head 6? Care to fill me in... And tell TM'Cavil to get lost... :tongue:

And that ship we see the plans for?
    I'm seeing red herring, it'll be something else that ends the war. If the writers know what's good for them, that is. The temporal paradox that occurs when you wipe the very reason for getting the plans in the first place is going to be hard enough to overcome, nevermind the rest of the temporal paradoxes and dealing with Temporal Instigations...

My speculation (based on the story so far and what's been leaked): the player is the other. Notice it is always singular never otherS plural. This rules out a race, the prophets, etc.

I predict that the delta alliance is the group that ends the iconian empire 200,000 years ago and the player steps in to ensure its not a total genocide and save the timeline. Then we step in again to keep the few of them left from being exterminated in the present, but lock them away, maybe back in their galaxy.

I predict the heralds blow up the shipyard after we finish the time ship so only one exists.

I'm guessing (but less confident hence not "predicting") that annorax's ship creates a combo krenim/dominion ruling alternate timeline or a threat only the dominion can help solve and that's our lead into the post iconian story depending if the cardassian arc revamp gecko has talked about makes the dominion more of an ally or more of an enemy.
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    I don't like Cryptic's idea of a defensible position, although it would help if the Heralds on advanced difficulty were putting out damage tuned to players rather than NPCs, I have boffs that can complete missions on advanced without my help, the number of times my team was wiped in that one engagement is ludicrous> Especially considering that the following fights moving up the path were laughably easy.

Other than that, it was a great mission, I particularly liked the RP element on Drozana.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    What boffs are you using, what powers, and what gear? My boffs had no trouble except the one in energy dampening armor which has no physical resist and the thralls kept killing that one with their melee attacks.
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    What boffs are you using, what powers, and what gear? My boffs had no trouble except the one in energy dampening armor which has no physical resist and the thralls kept killing that one with their melee attacks.

At the moment all my boffs are Human (Vrare) using integrated targeting fleet armour, their shields and weapons are fleet as well although I haven't upgraded anything to Mk 14. Three are using full autos and one has a high density beam.

Boff powers:
    Quick fix 1+3 (On different boffs), Shield recharge 2x2, Weapon malfunction 1, Equipment Diagnostics 1, Support Drone 3, Fuse armour 1, Electro grav field 1, Med tricorder 2, Tricorder scan 2, Hyperonic radiation 2, Photon grenade 1, Target optics 1, FOMM1, Overwatch 2.

My kit: (Tactical kit mk 11 [Armor] [Shield] [Tactics])
    Supressing fire mk 13, Battle strats mk 11, Rally cry mk 11, Motivation mk 11, Plasma grenade mk 13
    I'm currently using the weapon and shield from the "Nukara Strikeforce Elite" set and the MACO armour and sniper. My current skill spec can be found here.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
    Will the Purple Trader Doff be a limited time reward or can I wait to get it on my other characters?
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    farshore wrote: »
    Will the Purple Trader Doff be a limited time reward or can I wait to get it on my other characters?

Good question. I hadn't considered that it may be a limited time reward. There was no mention of it in any of the dev blogs about the mission so it was a nice surprise.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    There's a wee bit of an editing goof in the sound track for one of Nogs lines shortly after he kicks out the two Ferengi. Basically, right at the end of the dialogue box, instead of the voice track ending, you can hear Aaron go out of character saying something like "Aww jeez, I'm like...". No biggie and you have to wait a few seconds for it to kick in, but it's there. I missed it on my first play through.

EDIT

As I recall, it's in the dialogue box which starts with "Think I'm getting something ."
    I need a beer.

• xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    A small feedback: I liked the episode. I also like getting "the whole story", so I usually try to explore all the arcs in discussions et cetera. I enjoy watching cutscenes. But lengthy ones (like here, the last one in the previous mission and the two for the New Rom ground adventure zone) I would prefer to be ESCapable when you're playing the mission for the n-th time (have a number of toons). You can only go to the fridge every so often.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    i liked also the episode. house pegh was a huge disaster. i have spent a good time playing to "time in a bottle". Nog was one of my favorite character in DS9 thus thx to Aron Eisenberg.

In my opinion, we are not going to build the temporal ship, at least, the federation. the federation can't use a weapon like this temporal ship, it would be agaisnt all the rules even the prime directive. klingons have a strange sense of honor thus i think that they could use it. romulans are only fed or kdf pets, they will follow their masters
    I don't think it has to be written, but Franklin Drake would build the Time Ship himself, one brick at a time if he had to.