test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

all-time low

ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x57/UrsusMorologus/Star%20Trek%20Online/STO%20Steam%20Chart%202015-06-14.png

The top bar shows maximum (peak) simultaneous logins for the 7-day period ending Sun/Mon midnight. Last week's .simultaneous login count was the lowest recorded for the 3 years of tracking data.

/cue WKs, "I don't use Steam so you don't have a sandwich"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Why are you still here?
    tumblr_n1hmq4Xl7S1rzu2xzo2_400.gif
  • Options
    lingeringsoul888lingeringsoul888 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x57/UrsusMorologus/Star%20Trek%20Online/STO%20Steam%20Chart%202015-06-14.png

The top bar shows maximum (peak) simultaneous logins for the 7-day period ending Sun/Mon midnight. Last week's .simultaneous login count was the lowest recorded for the 3 years of tracking data.

so? .........
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    And yet the current 30 day average is 1,710 - which is essentially what STO's non-Event average has been for years: 1600 - 1,800. Heck, look at last June: 1,610 and last July: 1,401.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    induperatorinduperator Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Do I need to quote the FCT again?

Apparently so.

"Steam usage stats proves this game is dying!
    No, it doesn't.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pweadamanteus View Post
    Ok, let's say a few things here...

First, only a very small portion of STO's playerbase comes from Steam...this has always been the case. So, using the steam charts that many seem to be quoting and using every couple weeks really is not giving you a good picture.

Second, Steam users have had to deal with some Zen purchasing errors over the past couple of months as Steam is switching from using a universal currency to the currencies of individual countries/regions. I.E. Steam enables new currencies without a heads up to developers, users start to have purchasing errors in games/companies that have their own currency, and then the developers have to figure out what happened and make adjustments to their billing systems and coding in the game so the new currencies are supported. This has driven some users to abandon STO on Steam and go through Arc or directly through the launcher.

Third, as we do have the Arc platform, it is easier to run contests, post news, etc. on Arc so more users are using Arc since you get the most up to date news and contests by using it. And Arc is not spyware or bloatware for those making that accusation. There are even other players who have checked out the Arc coding themselves and there is no spyware or bloatware associated with Arc.

Basically, what I'm saying, is that all you get for STO from looking at the steam charts site is that less people are using STO through Steam. That doesn't reflect on any other statistic. While I can't release our total numbers, I can say that the Steam charts do not follow the pattern of the total numbers and the steam charts cause us no worries at all."
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Well this is what happens when the greatest, most exciting feature of a new season is a new galaxy map. It's beautiful and very well done but how long does a new map alone keep you playing?

- the war is inexistent
    - another reputation grind isn't exactly the most exciting feature possible
    - the new queues are just the same old (I played each of them twice and got bored with them already). There's not even a red alert involving the Heralds
    - the most recent history of lags and bugs who took months to resolve (or still remain unsolved) drove many players away
    - communication with players went back to the same old (what was that all about? One short burst of intense communication with players and then back to nothing again?)
    - livestreams who kept players excited about new content are completely gone
    - advanced queues are no longer meant for casual players (and the changes to the reward system and failing conditions come way to late)
    - Cryptic artificially inflated the dilithium/zen exchange price through constant sales so you now have to grind twice as long to get enough dilithium together to buy a new ship
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Yes everyone knows that the number of players that use Steam to log into the game has dropped. No ones denying it.

Some Steam isers have stopped playing STO for various reasons, and the rest have switched to using the regular STO Launcher, or ARC.

Without data to show the number of players using the other two methods of logging in the Steam Charts are at best insufficient to base any speculations on other than the number of people using Steam to log into STO has dropped..
    It does not really matter. June and July are traditionally STO's slowest times - as shown by last year's data. As long as June and July meet or exceed last year's numbers STO is improving over last year. Plus the game just came off a 4 month high due the the Delta Event. So STO is up for the year, even if June and July fall back to last year's values. So do not sweat it.

This is just Ursus being Ursus. The man hates the game, claims to not play it any more, yet constantly needs to post on the forum how the game is dying. More then anything I am sad for him, as he cannot seem to break away from a game he has nothing but disdain for. It just goes to show how sad of an individual Ursus is.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Some Steam isers have stopped playing STO for various reasons, and the rest have switched to using the regular STO Launcher, or ARC.

This. I've moved over to Arc myself from Steam on my new build PC. I'm sure now that the initial "resistance" to Arc has subsided many others may have too.

Quoting metrics from Steam is only quoting partial metrics, and therefore not the full picture.
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    This is just Ursus being Ursus. The man hates the game, claims to not play it any more, yet constantly needs to post on the forum how the game is dying. More then anything I am sad for him, as he cannot seem to break away from a game he has nothing but disdain for. It just goes to show how sad of an individual Ursus is.

Ursus has serious social problems and this is coming from a Brony.
  • Options
    crusader0007crusader0007 Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I made a bad post now I'm going away for a bit.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'm really starting to think that ursus here is actually an alternate account for the user known as nextnametaken on the CO boards. Claims not to play the game, but still posts? Check. Insists that Steam numbers indicate the game is dying on the vine (just as it has been since 2009)? Check. Can't calmly discuss data sources, or stand to be disagreed with? BIG ol' check.

If that's you, next, it's okay. You can come out of the closet. There's no secret IDs in Star Trek anyway.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Haven't you heard? According to Steam whiteknights...

1. Cryptic/PWE employees lie about the number of STO players using Steam.
    2. Everyone uses Steam.
    3. No one uses the Launcher or ARC.
    4. Those Steam numbers are the entire number of people playing STO.

:rolleyes::P

Of course they are...

People will twist the truth as much as they want to get people to believe what they do.

Ursus doesn't enjoy the game so he doesn't want anyone else enjoying it.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Why should I believe either the OP or a Dev? This from the same group of Devs who said..."indeed Delta Expansion IS the best expansion EVER?" and yes players LOVED IT so much so...they left in massive rows.:D

I don't trust anyone from PWE and always better to check your source twice rather than rely on bunch of words. Regarding the OP's argument...the metrics is there. If PWE shows us some metrics backed with some counter allegations then it's a different story. Why not share their own metrics? up to them but at worst...I have a feeling some freebies might be coming our way to entice players...and summer just started :)

I might have believed OP if I was new to STO but anyone who has been visiting the forums for years knows that these threads with "Unequivocal proof" that the game is dying have been showing up every season and every season they're complete and utter Bull.

This reminds me of that Olympic conspiracy that I'm sure I've mentioned before

Back in the 2012 London Olympics there was a conspiracy flying around that the Illuminati were going to stage a boycott in the Olympic opening ceremony and they were going to fake an Alien landing and the third world war would begin and the population would be forced into concentration camps, the theorist referenced to the "triangular" stage lights in the stadium

Obviously this is no where near as serious as a global conspiracy but it just goes to show people have "proof" to back up even the most ridiculous of lies.
  • Options
    ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    nyxadrill wrote: »
    Quoting metrics from Steam is only quoting partial metrics, and therefore not the full picture.

Steam metrics are awesome for steamworks games. MMOs? Not really.

Steam keeps my games updated, but when it just launches a launcher, it isn't really useful, so people will use Steam to find and buy games and DLCs, even MMOs, but they will tend to drop Steam usage in favor of a specific client (ARC in this case) if it proves more useful and if they start dedicating a good chunk of time to a particular MMO.
    ryuga81.png
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    And yet the current 30 day average is 1,710 - which is essentially what STO's non-Event average has been for years: 1600 - 1,800. Heck, look at last June: 1,610 and last July: 1,401.

The 30-day window includes the initial spike from Risa (trade ins). But here we are in week 2 of the Risa grindathon and the bottom has already fallen out from the login bump. Maybe they will come back for week 3 though... The trend is not your friend here
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    nyxadrill wrote: »
    This. I've moved over to Arc myself from Steam on my new build PC. I'm sure now that the initial "resistance" to Arc has subsided many others may have too.

Were you the last one out from Steam? Did you turn out the lights?

Maybe the numbers of gamers on Steam has not declined?

Maybe STO is unable to attract gamers in general?

That is what the data suggests
  • Options
    ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited June 2015

The list of active space-based MMOs keeps growing (as your signature suggests). Every MMO I'm aware of (that isn't brand new / just launched) is in the same situation.

It's nothing new to MMOs, they bleed users over long periods, every few years "relaunch" and gain users, then bleed users again till next big event/relaunch.
    ryuga81.png
  • Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    It gets said in every steam chart thread so I guess I'll say it in this one.

In order to say something about a population, the sample must be from the whole population. Unfortunately, the steam charts only show a portion of the population the OP is talking about and so cannot be used to say anything about the population as a whole.

All Steam charts shows is how many people have either the game running or just the launcher open. Yep, while the game is down and people are updating, steam charts will show people are on STO. It's totally useless data...
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Were you the last one out from Steam? Did you turn out the lights?

Maybe the numbers of gamers on Steam has not declined?

That is what the data suggests

Or just maybe the opposite of your comments?

As I said, you are quoting a half truth. Metrics, like so many things in life, can be interpreted in many ways. As you are doing, by bending the stats to fit your premise.

Actually rmy1081 above says it much better than I.
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Steam charts are only good for trends... not physical, accurately exact numbers of players.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Why should I believe either the OP or a Dev? This from the same group of Devs who said..."indeed Delta Expansion IS the best expansion EVER?" and yes players LOVED IT so much so...they left in massive rows.:D

I don't trust anyone from PWE and always better to check your source twice rather than rely on bunch of words. Regarding the OP's argument...the metrics is there. If PWE shows us some metrics backed with some counter allegations then it's a different story. Why not share their own metrics? up to them but at worst...I have a feeling some freebies might be coming our way to entice players...and summer just started :)

Letsee...

Data point 1 isn't representational of Data pool A. A part is not the definition of its whole.

You've made an argument of reputation suggesting that a blanket statement of everyone is a liar. Especially with lump summing one develeoper who made the comment of Delta Rising with someone who literally dealt with login info.

You reversed the burden of proof with providing evidence.

Yeah, not a good post.

I'm closing the thread because as it had been mentioned time and time again, that one data set of Steam users doesn't represent the whole, when there are clearly users going to ARC from Steam.
This discussion has been closed.