test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Poll: Why did you, or one of your friends leave STO?

therealmttherealmt Member Posts: 428 Arc User
Hi all.

I was merely curious, seeing a massive decline in players in this game a few months after LoR, and continuing to be miserable, i was wanting to ask what made you, or your friends, or other relatives to stop playing this game?

Edit: This poll is mainly aimed towards longer-term players, and the 3 options are reasonably generic, i am sure most individual reasons fall under one of the categories in one way or another :)

http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=557ccc3fe4b045ff871da73a

Please vote :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by therealmt on

Comments

• huntorhuntor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Sad that we can't choose all 3 at once
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Play time decreased due to client problems, crashes, lag, bugs, etc. that have popped up since February.

The problems have finally been pinned down by the devs and community. Noticeable improvement, at least on my end, has been made in the last few patches and now I'm slowly investing more time again.
  • therealmttherealmt Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    huntor2 wrote: »

I am sad for that too. lol.

My personal complaint actually falls under all 3 options as well. Ugh

btw nice banner and avatar haha.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lingeringsoul888lingeringsoul888 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    im fine here, got all the reps done, got enough gears on my ship for it to be fun and no lag here either.

I'm quite happy, I haven't left and I have no friends...........wait, I said the quiet part loud.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    huntor2 wrote: »

Even though it wasn't the actual reason, heh, I'd still like to vote for your sig image as the reason. ;)
  • hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I've only lost one but gained 4 (even if they're just casual players that play for simple fun rather than hardcore ST fans).

So I can't even vote fairly. :mad: I call this a rigged poll.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Other: primary factor was having my 20+ ships (and their gear) turned into second-rate junk that required expensive half-upgrades that are not on par with the new end-game gear, thereby making it pointless to continue investing in the game. Better to find some other source of entertainment. That plays into the larger issue of powercreep for $$ that drives the game's development, specializations and ship traits and the other new power pools that make any previous attempt at balance moot and pointless. In a word, Greed from management and Apathy from the devs, so I return the favor and treat them accordingly.
  • huntorhuntor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    therealmt wrote: »
    btw nice banner and avatar haha.

Hehe, thx ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I wanna pick all 3 and the 'other' option.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
    edited June 2015
    Of course it's rigged. The OP only allows people to select reasons he chose and doesn't give people the ability to choose reasons he's dismissed as unimportant.

No. I choose to only pick 3 reasons i have personally heard numberous times in the few months that ive been back.

Im pretty sure most reasons eventually fall under one of the three options. Even slightly.

:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    shazia9191 wrote: »
    The poll was meant for a specific segment of the playerbase, namely those who are already unhappy and know people who quit for specific reasons. Thus, he can dismiss whatever reasons he chooses, as they aren't relevant to him. The nerve!

But the OP doesn't give more important reasons like too busy with work, started a family, moved overseas, traveled the world, kidnapped by terrorists, joined a cult, or too many untouched games in their Steam Library. If a person puts up a poll that asks why people left STO, then it has to include real life reasons. If it was a poll that asks why people left STO due to some problem that the game has, then the selection would be acceptable.
    edited June 2015
    Translation: The OP has an agenda and doesn't want to give people any chance of giving any results that don't support his agenda or worse show that the agenda he's pushing only represents a minority of the player base.

Furthermore most people that quit just leave. They don't hang around trolling forums of games they stopped playing. :rolleyes:

Nobody is forced to vote, unless perhaps they come from the area you live in?

And who left the game that still troll on these forums?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • takfeltakfel Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Nobody is forced to vote, unless perhaps they come from the area you live in?

And who left the game that still troll on these forums?

I'd ignore them. They'll go away, eventually. The more you defend your position, the more they'll respond with self-centered commentary to justify their position and try to make you seem a bad person/player.

I didn't vote since I only started in october, but I like the poll. I've experienced the final choice since I started playing.
  • bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    hey, the new Dooooooooooom thread? its about time, I was getting bored :D
  • praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Translation: The OP has an agenda and doesn't want to give people any chance of giving any results that don't support his agenda or worse show that the agenda he's pushing only represents a minority of the player base.

Orrrrrrr...

"Hmm, none of the options indicates why I/friends left, so maybe I won't select any of them, since none of them apply!"

If one applies, you pick it. If none apply, don't pick any.

Why do you feel compelled that you must vote?

The way the poll is set up, it asks if the reason that people have left is due to something in-game. If it's something else (real life, etc), then the poll doesn't apply to them.

The point you're making is like saying "Well this poll is asking what kind of ice cream I like, but I only like cookies, so obviously it's biased!"
    edited June 2015
    takfel wrote: »
    I'd ignore them. They'll go away, eventually. The more you defend your position, the more they'll respond with self-centered commentary to justify their position and try to make you seem a bad person/player.

I didn't vote since I only started in october, but I like the poll. I've experienced the final choice since I started playing.

I was gonna say something, but you're right... actually TRIBBLE it, I'm gonna say it.

I hate the either/or fallacy in this forum. The logical fallacy is defined as separating a complex situation or idea into two neat and simple halves. In this case, saying "Either you like the game and you stay or you don't and you should leave." "You either play the game consistently or not at all." That's some BS right there. Yeah, I stopped playing for about five months. Yeah, I was off and on with having the game installed. And yeah, I still use the forums.

Right now I barely play but I "troll" the forums. I "troll" the forums using my God-given intellect to, dare I say it, criticize the game! I firmly believe that rational complaining is a good thing. I will give credit where it's due and I will damned well speak up about the stuff I think could be improved. So don't tell me I "troll" the forums of a game I don't play, because I do play it, and no matter how much some people try to stop me, I will exercise my ability to rationally and reasonably give negative feedback because nothing ever improved without someone somewhere saying what was wrong.

I don't particularly like the OP's poll, because it demonstrates the either/or fallacy without a free response for nuances, but I will stand up for him and say that at least he is using his ability to peacefully criticize.

That, friends, is why I stuck Trumpy's face on my avatar.

Oh and side note, DOOOM guys... just no. He's not saying anything about the game dying, or anything close, just quit it with trying to straw-man any critical threads into being about dooom, 'kay? Thanks.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    praxi5 wrote: »
    The way the poll is set up, it asks if the reason that people have left is due to something in-game. If it's something else (real life, etc), then the poll doesn't apply to them.

The point you're making is like saying "Well this poll is asking what kind of ice cream I like, but I only like cookies, so obviously it's biased!"

But that is not what the poll is asking. It is asking why players leave STO not why players STO due to some ingame reason. Good polls always have the other option since a poll can't include every single option. Even if the poll was directly about players leaving due to some problem with the game, it doesn't include every option since there is griefers, trolls, and the controversy over the House Pegh mission to name a few. Without the other option, then it is just a biased poll.
    edited June 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    But that is not what the poll is asking. It is asking why players leave STO not why players STO due to some ingame reason. Good polls always have the other option since a poll can't include every single option. Even if the poll was directly about players leaving due to some problem with the game, it doesn't include every option since there is griefers, trolls, and the controversy over the House Pegh mission to name a few. Without the other option, then it is just a biased poll.

I think the implication is that it's for in-game reasons, but it is unclear. I agree that it should be open-response cuz a multiple choice doesn't cut it for something like this.
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I haven't left STO. I've just run out of official content to repeat, I mean play.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I am a long time STO player and after reading the poll, I chose not to vote in it. My time in game goes up and down for reasons which have nothing at all to do with the choices the OP has deliberately limited people to.

"Opinion Polls" such as this are always massaged by whomever creates them. So the "answer" always comes out exactly as the pollster wants it to. Then, the people voting in the poll are used as "evidence" to "prove" the point which the poll creator was trying to make in the first place. Doesn't matter whether it is a multinational corporation or just someone who is upset abut something.

Hobson's Choice is how I think it used to be referred to.

These things are never as straightforward as they seem. Obviously, the OP has an agenda of some sort. He is using this thread probably to draw attention to both himself and his ideas about STO. Which may not be those of the majority of the group he says he is trying to get opinions from.

This is just another DOOM! thread.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • atlmyklatlmykl Member Posts: 305 Arc User1
    edited June 2015

Please vote :)

This is a idiot poll. You can only select answers the OP wants.
    Why did you, or one of your friends leave STO?

This question is so bad. If you left you would not be on the forums. If you are here YOU HAVE NOT LEFT. Second the 'or one of you friends' is a weak attempt at justifying a answer at all since nobody who has left could answer.

Here is a similar poll

IS the OP

[ ] Not very smart
    [ ] Underestimating the forum browsers
    [ ] Just trying a version of the age old 'I am leaving if this does not change and all my friends will leave when I do so you better do what I say!'
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    atlmykl wrote: »
    This is a idiot poll. You can only select answers the OP wants.

This question is so bad. If you left you would not be on the forums. If you are here YOU HAVE NOT LEFT. Second the 'or one of you friends' is a weak attempt at justifying a answer at all since nobody who has left could answer.

Here is a similar poll

IS the OP

[ ] Not very smart
    [ ] Underestimating the forum browsers
    [ ] Just trying a version of the age old 'I am leaving if this does not change and all my friends will leave when I do so you better do what I say!'

:D Did we forget one? Just like the OP did? No matter, I'll add it. :D
    [ ] All of the Above.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'm still here. My friends are still here.
    edited June 2015
    atlmykl wrote: »
    This question is so bad. If you left you would not be on the forums. If you are here YOU HAVE NOT LEFT.

Um, you can be here without having the game installed. Quirky fact...that you might just have overlooked. /shrug

It gets into one of those feedback things...

1) Player is no longer playing the game.
    2) Player is still hanging around, so there's some potential hope things will change.
    3) Player has given the reason they're not playing the game, and what they're hoping will change.

...it's pretty straightforward and something that's actually helpful to Cryptic/PWE.

Kind of like when you uninstall the game, ARC, etc...and it asks why a person has left. Who knows if that information is ever actually looked, eh? Offering that kind of feedback in a thread such as this might catch the eye of somebody and that feedback can be passed along to the respective parties.

But you were too busy being a fanboi, pointing out how bad the poll was in your opinion, while insulting the OP, that well - you left yourself looking quite foolish, eh? But hey, it's the weekend...carry on and all that jazz.

edit: Now this is a doom thread: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1480501 :where the only hope offered is another game sort of thing.
    edited June 2015
    Yet another doom thread. Seriously, I know it's the weekend but between this and few other questionable threads I'm seeing are the Mods on a break or something?

Any mention of the game is going to fail? Nope.
    Any mention of there being no hope? Nope.
    Any ranting tirade about everything Cryptic has screwed up and ruined the game for somebody? Nope
    Any demands for somebody else to take the game over? Nope.
    Any mention of doom? Nope.

So why is this a doom thread?

I mean, seriously, you posted in the other thread there...the actual doom thread. How can you not tell the difference between this thread and that one? /facepalm
  • bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Any mention of the game is going to fail? Nope.
    Any mention of there being no hope? Nope.
    Any ranting tirade about everything Cryptic has screwed up and ruined the game for somebody? Nope
    Any demands for somebody else to take the game over? Nope.
    Any mention of doom? Nope.

So why is this a doom thread?

I mean, seriously, you posted in the other thread there...the actual doom thread. How can you not tell the difference between this thread and that one? /facepalm

you forgot the claim that players are leaving in droves/ not playing anymore :rolleyes:

at least the other thread is only mainly ranting that the game won't change