What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Risa is unplayable becuase of very low fps

Comments

• Options
    freakiumfreakium Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Like others the lag is unbearable for me at times like during the Horgahn hunt. I get 2-3 FPS flying around the promenade area and I haven't bothered attending the races as it is truly a slideshow at that point, around 1-3 FPS.

Granted I run a much slower computer but I get 30 FPS at the best of times off Risa so like the Winter event, it looks like the lag is focused on map population.

Intel Core 2 Duo T5750
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600
    (Oh my, I may as well be running a duotronic computer)
    m12Pkoj.png
  • Options
    ageroth1ageroth1 Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    This thread is already redundant. There are at least two others on the matter, including many more maps than Risa. Cryptic people are working on it, but it's going to take time as it's multiple fixes, not just one.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    ageroth1 wrote: »
    This thread is already redundant. There are at least two others on the matter, including many more maps than Risa. Cryptic people are working on it, but it's going to take time as it's multiple fixes, not just one.

True, it is technically redundant. However there are separate practical considerations.

Cryptic's efforts thus far have been totally inadequate. Fixing a bug and fixing it on time to avoid massive complications (ie. inability to complete the summer event) are two COMPLETELY different scenarios. One is understandable and deserves patience while the other is a comprehensive failure to perform the requisite function of "developer" (it puts me very much in mind of a Duke Nukem Forever style of game design. Timing does matter.)

That point is well worth stressing. While the Risa problems fall into the "severe ground map framerate issues" category it has very particular implications and a slightly different set of solutions (1. a targeted fix, 2. an event extension) which are separate from the main bug (which you can only argue for a comprehensive fix, other accommodations aren't necessary). Its possible to lump the two together. However as each case presents itself you lose focus for the other agenda (the general issue swamps the special accommodations or perhaps visa versa).

It's not only that there's this glitch, but this glitch is affecting THIS map at THIS time.

So, leave the RISA IS PRACTICALLY UNPLAYABLE [that emphasis is for Cryptic] thread to discuss that aspect of the specific FPS problem which is SEVERELY UNDERMINING AN IMPORTANT STO EVENT [and therefore needs an IMMEDIATE solution], while the general thread mulls on hoping for a more total fix to this apparent set of glitches.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    fanofallsevenfanofallseven Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Timing does matter.)So, leave the RISA IS PRACTICALLY UNPLAYABLE [that emphasis is for Cryptic] thread to discuss that aspect of the specific FPS problem which is SEVERELY UNDERMINING AN IMPORTANT STO EVENT [and therefore needs an IMMEDIATE solution], while the general thread mulls on hoping for a more total fix to this apparent set of glitches.

Given that it isn't even on the Known Issues list for tomorrow's patch notes yet (and it's been around since Season 10 launched), I wouldn't expect a fix anytime soon.

I know that cracking open and fixing the glitchy shaders probably isn't something that they have resources to handle until Season 11, but a "Nuke the Grass" checkbox would be a nice workaround in the meantime!
  • Options
    majorhalcyonmajorhalcyon Member Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Going to add myself to this list; worked perfectly fine last year, now this year it's a slideshow when over the island and in the resort/promenade. It's acting like I'm playing on the comp I had from 2003, and not the one that had no issues last year, whatsoever.

AMD Phenom II x2 555 3.2Ghz
    16gb Corsair Vengeance ram
    Asus R9 280 3gb
    Catalyst 14.9 drivers

I may have a lead to start with, though: flying around for Flying High, I flew over the river grotto, and noticed a pair of tents, and other assorted crates/items, that were not there last year. Perhaps something in one of these textures is causing an issue? I know the tent on the right likes to flicker for me, so maybe.

SS: Tents and other items that are new
    ageroth1 wrote: »
    Cryptic people are working on it, but it's going to take time as it's multiple fixes, not just one.

I'm going to have to ask you to provide a link to a dev post stating that the bolded part is the case; because I've been watching this for the past week, and there hasn't been one...
    Post edited by majorhalcyon on
  • Options
    spotter5spotter5 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Hope this get fixed soon, I used to love floating around Risa in my jetpack but its just a horrible laggy mess right now :(
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Given that it isn't even on the Known Issues list for tomorrow's patch notes yet (and it's been around since Season 10 launched), I wouldn't expect a fix anytime soon.

Well to be fair the vast majority of what gets fixed never makes it to the "known issues" section. That just seems like a bucket where a few notable issues get thrown (which is usually a ways off.) It has never represent the sum total of cryptic's QA goals, especially in the near term (so nothing listed in this weeks known issues doesn't rule out a fix next week, but the interactions we've had thus far with cryptic makes it damn unlikely that we'll see an imminent resolution. I would image progress would have yielded shareable details.)
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    edited June 2015

I may have a lead to start with, though: flying around for Flying High, I flew over the river grotto, and noticed a pair of tents, and other assorted crates/items, that were not there last year. Perhaps something in one of these textures is causing an issue? I know the tent on the right likes to flicker for me, so maybe.

I doubt it. This issue started with S10 and I believe those tents were added when Risa was updated for the 2015 event (ie. when they changed the floating ship.)
  • Options
    gt500dotorggt500dotorg Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    ageroth1 wrote:
    ... it's going to take time as it's multiple fixes, not just one.

That depends on whether it is a map issue or an engine issue (or perhaps both).

The symptoms remind me of the issue with the Arma engine, where CPU and GPU usage are very low, but the framerate is tanking without any apparent reason. Of course, that game engine appears to have more than one cause for major FPS drops, such as where it tries to render everything that is within the player's field of view, regardless of whether the player can actually see it or not. For instance, if you're in a town, and the view of the majority of the town is obscured by a few buildings you are around, the game engine still tries to render the entire town as part of the scene rather than not bothering to render things the player can't see like other more efficient rendering engines might do. As anyone who has played the Arma/DayZ games knows, this can cause huge FPS drops just walking or driving into a town. I've also heard claims the the way the game processes AI causes FPS issues as well.

Hopefully Cryptic can get this issue worked our for us soon. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
  • Options
    aidy1972ukaidy1972uk Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I can also confirm Risa is borked.

I've never had a problem there since it opened, this year however terrible, unplayable unless sliders (or at least CPU one) are right down then only around 20FPS.

Last year I was running it on a Phenom X4 2.5 and a Nvidia GTX560 (Maybe even a GT630!) with no issues what so ever.

This year, I've got a Phenom X6 1090T and a GTX 970 and cannot play unless the settings are down.

As many have been saying, Season 10 seems to have broken many things, but I've noticed performance trouble ever since they revamped some of the earlier Episodes. The key thing that I've noticed changed in a lot of the ground maps is grass;

The Kuvah'Magh, Defuse the Situation where you meet Miral Paris.
    Researcher Rescue, The Ancient Claims bit with 3 towers and round hut in centre.

Maps with a lot of this new grass seem to struggle since whatever it was you did around the time you updated the visuals/mission layout or the early content.

Hope that can help narrow it down as there's a LOT of grass on Risa and from my perspective, that seems to be the killer on frame rate, no matter what you do to sliders!

Can also confirm New Rom Command is suffering similar symptoms, nothing on the scale of risa but still HUGE frame rate drop there.
  • Options
    suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I just don't give a s*it anymore. I've stopped playing STO almost entirely because of these FPS issues. I'm honestly disgusted by the fact devs keep ignoring us, although by this point I shouldn't be in any way surprised.

Oh well, the bright side is I won't be spending any more money. Cause why should I buy more Master Keys or another T6 ship bundle if I cannot even play the game properly?
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    suaveks wrote: »
    I just don't give a s*it anymore. I've stopped playing STO almost entirely because of these FPS issues. I'm honestly disgusted by the fact devs keep ignoring us, although by this point I shouldn't be in any way surprised.

Well they did respond (minimally) via other formats. Its just that they've stayed quiet on this hugely frustrating problem on the forums. I'll lose hope in this format of communication before the game itself, especially remembering what happened to the thread attached to the pearl retirement blog post, among others recently. :P

Basically while this is a **** situation and just the sort of thing that dedicated support forums were originally built to handle, I wouldn't be surprised if what we expect from this and what the devs are comfortable giving are two very different things. We want validation and to us that's a very clear-cut thing, but to someone approaching this mob-in-potential (especially this peasant, I've gone the one extra step and set my pitchfork on fire) what may be most apparent is the weaponry. The priority then is just to survive, even if it means that the original baseline of anger is left intact.

So...I guess we're at the point of "sit tight, either it'll get fixed or it won't. We've pretty much exhausted what we can do on our end here, and if it comes to something then we'll see it in a release note. If not, well its just business. Its vastly disappointing, but we can only give so much."
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    I turned off 'Shadows' under graphics options and it seemed to make it more bearable. Still getting low FPS though.
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    I'll work on posting the screenshot of this later. I tried an experiment, cranked the debris objects down to 0, and tried the HideDevUi 0 stunt, and, to quote the upper corner:
    WARNING: Over performance budget limits. May not run at desired framerate.
    WARNING: Over memory budget limits.
    Run the /budgets command to open

Running on older Gateway Laptop that does the "memory sharing" thing with a base of 512 MB "dedicated", but I told the settings to use 1024+ MB video memory and I have 6GB of RAM on the system, upped from the original 4GB. When I beamed up to Risa's system space, the long top warning disappeared but the second and third were still there...

Because of the shared memory thing (and my inability to directly configure it), I won't begin to say "this is the problem", but if other people who have better systems runs this check on Risa and get the same results, that might be something that helps tell us why Risa's such an oddball place for everyone...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    Ok, since they have seemed to figure out the problem, and I can post on these boards, finally, here's some of my observations from the last week:
    I turned off 'Shadows' under graphics options and it seemed to make it more bearable. Still getting low FPS though.

Did the same, and turned down the light sources from 5 to 2, and it provided a marginal increase in fps when looking at the island. Not really worth the effort, to be honest.
    dareau wrote: »
    I'll work on posting the screenshot of this later. I tried an experiment, cranked the debris objects down to 0, and tried the HideDevUi 0 stunt, and, to quote the upper corner:
    WARNING: Over performance budget limits. May not run at desired framerate.
    WARNING: Over memory budget limits.
    Run the /budgets command to open

Hmm...this is, to me, saying they have messed something up when they did their whole 'texture optimization' pass a few months back. Sounds like a memory leak in one of them...so again, I'm going to reference these tents

i.imgur.com/Gp2YbMl.jpg

that were not there last year; they also have an item in them producing sound, not sure but if that might have a bit to do with it, as well. May be nothing, but when I'm not looking in their direction, I get normal framerates; but if the game thinks they should be on the screen, that's when things get slow.
  • Options
    thehatchthehatch Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I returned to the game with an upgraded system, all ambitious about the new Risa event … now this. I wish I could test the D9 renderer, because it is about the only thing I haven't tried yet, but right now my launcher won't connect. Remember ►Jack? Going mad soon, already smiling.
    A place for race pilots in STO: /channel_join Racing
    Win 15,000 GPL in the Hodos Racing Challenge!
  • Options
    Going to leave this here, in case some are not following the other thread on this issue:

Comment from Zero on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/3ayo7c/a_bit_late_update_from_zero_about_the_fps_issues/cshhafw

Maybe they can get this out to at least Tribble this week...
  • Options
    Going to leave this here, in case some are not following the other thread on this issue:

Comment from Zero on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/3ayo7c/a_bit_late_update_from_zero_about_the_fps_issues/cshhafw

Thank you for linking that and the dev for giving us a status update.

Perhaps this is coming tomorrow? http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9423203
    June 25 Holodeck patch notes:
    Resolved a graphics related issue which will improve the performance of zones with heavy amounts of FX and animation.
  • Options

Thank you for linking that and the dev for giving us a status update.

Perhaps this is coming tomorrow? http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9423203
    June 25 Holodeck patch notes:
    Resolved a graphics related issue which will improve the performance of zones with heavy amounts of FX and animation.

You're welcome; although, I'm still baffled they couldn't communicate that through the forums...

Also, it looks like this does jack all to fix anything; still getting pretty lousy fps on Redshirt...normal rates while looking at the water behind the Floater Vendor, and at least half of normal when looking at the island.

• Options
    sto4me2sto4me2 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    patch of 25 june, did make it a bit beter around the resort. but the volcano is still a no-go for flying. other parts of risa i haved checked.
  • Options
    suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    No performance improvement whatsoever for me. Risa Resort, New Romulus Command and numerous Delta Quadrant Patrols still suffer from major FPS loss even at minimum graphics settings, which was not the case before S10.

PS. The new forums suck.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options

Also, it looks like this does jack all to fix anything; still getting pretty lousy fps on Redshirt...normal rates while looking at the water behind the Floater Vendor, and at least half of normal when looking at the island.

Ditto New Romulus Command, whatever they patched in today doesn't seem to relate at all to these severe performance drops.
  • Options
    kittyflofykittyflofy Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The patch was not about fps performance. They didnt say anything about that, and i dont think they will ever recognize the performance issue as a problem. It is happening since years ago, in major or minor measure. And because the major problem is the UI, well, that will be hard to "fix".

About lag, tholian red alerts are still a pain in the axe to play. I would say lag is even worst on em. I am not sure if it is still related to the command cruisers, i played 3 of em, 1 with just a little rubberbanding here and there, and 2 with a complete set of lag reputation. I had my command cruiser equiped so, maybe just maybe.. sigh. But i didnt notice improvement in this case either..
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    kittyflofy wrote: »
    The patch was not about fps performance. They didnt say anything about that, and i dont think they will ever recognize the performance issue as a problem. It is happening since years ago, in major or minor measure. And because the major problem is the UI, well, that will be hard to "fix".

About lag, tholian red alerts are still a pain in the axe to play. I would say lag is even worst on em. I am not sure if it is still related to the command cruisers, i played 3 of em, 1 with just a little rubberbanding here and there, and 2 with a complete set of lag reputation. I had my command cruiser equiped so, maybe just maybe.. sigh. But i didnt notice improvement in this case either..

Well granted a dev on Reddit did acknowledge FPS issues and they were hoping to get a patch out soon. So it's reasonable to assume today's patch meant they were fixing it finally, based on what was in the patch notes.

http://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/3ayo7c/a_bit_late_update_from_zero_about_the_fps_issues/cshhafw
    Good news! We've identified one possible culprit for part of the FPS issues. One of the programmers upstairs has been working on it, and we're hoping to see that go out next week. It's not in our test environment yet, so I can't speak to its efficacy, but I remain optimistic. :)

I misspoke! It IS in our test environment. Whether it ships this week or next will depend on the results of the testing.
    I guess she meant it's on Cryptic's test environment and not Tribble or Redshirt servers.

So hopefully next week or the week after. I've been been worried all this time they won't be able to fix it before the summer event ends and at this rate it looks like it might be fixed when we have only 1 or 2 weeks left. Better late then never I guess.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    After going out as far as I could to the Ferengi ship sitting in the water, while facing the ship I'm getting about 60fps.
    When I turn my camera 180 to view the island it instantly tanks down to about 20fps. The closer I get to the middle of the island the worse of a drop it is, going down to around 6fps in the heavily wooded area behind the resort.

While right behind the resort building if I have my camera face south I get around 12-14fps but if I have my camera face north while standing in the same spot it drops to around 8-9fps. It seems having the camera point towards the center of the island where the large crater is what causes the low FPS. With the camera facing away from the center of the map the fps seems to go up.

Couple of screenshots (Info in top right corner overlaying the mini map. Command used to have it actually show my fps: /HideDevUi 0)
    Facing south away from the island screenshot_2015-06-26-02-00-25_zpssdsg6ksw.jpg~original

Facing north toward the island screenshot_2015-06-26-02-01-08_zpseqbt49bx.jpg~original

In the middle of the island screenshot_2015-06-26-02-18-17_zpslpetwux0.jpg~original

Location on the map of where it seems to be the worst (it's the giant crater north of the resort) screenshot_2015-06-26-02-18-29_zpsxpz1b3lz.jpg~original
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    The guys suffering fps issues, be sure to check your videocard temp. If your videocard is taking excessive heat, as this game is used to, the videocard will not be able to run the game in proper conditions.
  • Options
    kajofolfkajofolf Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    How often does one have to say that the graphics card is doing jack TRIBBLE when the fps-drops happen? No it's not the graphics card that doesn't even run on max, no it's not the CPU that's running at 20-25%. It's the TRIBBLE engine of this game that has been TRIBBLE up even more since S10. Sorry but I'm seriously pissed of those kinds of comments...
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Well granted a dev on Reddit did acknowledge FPS issues and they were hoping to get a patch out soon. So it's >>reasonable>> to assume today's patch meant they were fixing it finally, based on what was in the patch notes.

No, its not. If you played for years this game you should know that "soon" mean maybe a couple of months for cryptic. So, yeah, maybe "soon" this will be fixed. But we have performance issues since the game born. So, i will be really surprised if they even fix it (or watever fix means) in the next couple of weeks. I think the game engine is already at its limits, i dont think there is too much they can do about it.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    kajofolf wrote: »
    How often does one have to say that the graphics card is doing jack TRIBBLE when the fps-drops happen? No it's not the graphics card that doesn't even run on max, no it's not the CPU that's running at 20-25%. It's the TRIBBLE engine of this game that has been TRIBBLE up even more since S10. Sorry but I'm seriously pissed of those kinds of comments...

Didnt say so. I tried to say that checking the temp of the videocard will tell you that the game is indeed forcing the graphics to the limit. Because if the videocard takes too much heat, of course you will have fps problems.

And BTW, this happened long before "season" 10. Is that the more you keep overloading the engine, the worst things get. We need to remember the game engine was never improved or remodeled (something that other mmorpgs did because it is needed if you want to keep the game alive) so we need to expect this kind of problems sooner or later.

And people keep forgetting the UI is the other major cause of fps issues. Probably more than the graphics emselves. It will not matter if they fix the graphics performance if they keep the ui as it is.

I must say that i particulary dont have fps issues on Risa, sometimes it reaches about 30-35 fps but i usually play at 60+ fps all the time. But i know the game engine is really in a bad state because i can find fps issues in other maps, even on ground missions or just in episode missions. And ive seen this over and over again through all these years. Now more noticeable than ever.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    kittyflofy wrote: »

Sorry, but there was something said about it in the patch notes, but it seems you didn't even look at them:
    General:
    • Resolved an issue where many audio clips were missing from numerous episodes.
    • Resolved a typo in the Dinaes Heavy Destroyer’s class name.
    • Resolved a graphics related issue which will improve the performance of zones with heavy amounts of FX and animation.

The bolded is the afore mentioned note on the fps issue...

Now, back to the topic at hand; no, this patch did not 'fix' this issue. It might have improved things while looking away from the island, as I'm getting a bit better fps around the Promenade, but that's not the real issue. And, after having tested this with the fps graph on, I'm almost 100% convinced that this area:
    Gp2YbMl.jpg

is the cause. This area was NOT here last year (when I had no issues), and looking in it's direction is what is (seemingly) causing the fps drop.

Not sure what else to say, or do, as I've tried just about every setting in game to try and make it better, to no avail. Super frustrated I'm not enjoying this year as I have other years.