test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Vanilla Forum Migration

Comments

• toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Naw, it's fine. The migration status from what I've been told will move things over from posts. The capacity to set new post limits is defined, but previous posts will maintain prior functionality of character limits. Ergo if I suddenly set post limits to 50 characters all of a sudden, previous posts wouldn't be reduced to 50 characters. They'd have their previous post content.

Wouldn't the 'ported-over' posts be technically new posts as well, thus subjected to the new limits?

And, Trendy, what about searches and the Devtracker?
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    toiva wrote: »
    Wouldn't the 'ported-over' posts be technically new posts as well, thus subjected to the new limits?

And, Trendy, what about searches and the Devtracker?

New post searches per specific category as far as I know aren't available at this time nor will there be a dev tracker.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    askray wrote: »
    New post searches per specific category as far as I know aren't available at this time nor will there be a dev tracker.

While I am thankful for the honesty, that there is a serious bummer.

It basically means I have no way of operating on the arc forums after the port.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
    edited June 2015
    toiva wrote: »
    While I am thankful for the honesty, that there is a serious bummer.

It basically means I have no way of operating on the arc forums after the port.

Rather be honest than bs :p
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.

• gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Naw, it's fine. The migration status from what I've been told will move things over from posts. The capacity to set new post limits is defined, but previous posts will maintain prior functionality of character limits. Ergo if I suddenly set post limits to 50 characters all of a sudden, previous posts wouldn't be reduced to 50 characters. They'd have their previous post content.

Well, knowing the database won't blow up or truncate stuff is a good thing. :cool:

I suspect that especially for fanfic authors, the possibility of multiple posts in a row to post a continuous section of story will still be there at 24000. For a few of our most verbose writers that may still prove a complication, but this time I was at least able to get post breaks to align with my section breaks.

I hope we never see Twitforums though! (Then again, are you so sure we don't see that, once in a while??? :p;) )

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    In the new forums, I should get a button that says "fired," which immediately places a thumbs down on the victim's profile. :rolleyes:
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
    edited June 2015
    voporak wrote: »
    In the new forums, I should get a button that says "fired," which immediately places a thumbs down on the victim's profile. :rolleyes:

I'm afraid that's a manual process. ;)

Speaking of manual processes, I DO have an idea of how to set up a very, very bare-bones "dev tracker" of sorts, though it will in no way match the functionality of the current one, and it may take me considerable time. (No, it will not involve scripts or any other things that should not be on the forum.) I can't promise when it will happen, though one idea I have is to do it in stages. But I'll see what I can do over the course of the next week, once we migrate.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    edited June 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    I'm afraid that's a manual process. ;)

Speaking of manual processes, I DO have an idea of how to set up a very, very bare-bones "dev tracker" of sorts, though it will in no way match the functionality of the current one, and it may take me considerable time. (No, it will not involve scripts or any other things that should not be on the forum.) I can't promise when it will happen, though one idea I have is to do it in stages. But I'll see what I can do over the course of the next week, once we migrate.

We've been working on this idea as well for awhile now ;)

• voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The forums got an RNG. Lovely. :P Every time I click on anything now, I sometimes get redirected to the blog post. Including when I clicked Reply for this post.

And no, I haven't been TRIBBLE around with the timeline. Wasn't me this time.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
    edited June 2015
    askray wrote: »
    We've been working on this idea as well for awhile now ;)

If it's what I'm thinking it will be a lot easier on your end for sure, since you guys have the full member list and I don't. My idea was going to take a TON of searching, and compiling some searchable data before the migration to make sure I could pull it off.

• monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Askraaaaaaaay!

Bottom left corner of each post on the Arc forums has a flag button. I predict you're gonna be busy once the migration is complete. :D

Edit: http://www.arcgames.com/en/user/pwlaughingtrendy/activity Tickle monster! Jesus Christ!

LOL Trendy. :D
  • kimonykimony Member Posts: 571 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    voporak wrote: »
    The forums got an RNG. Lovely. :P Every time I click on anything now, I sometimes get redirected to the blog post. Including when I clicked Reply for this post.

Whew, thank you for mentioning this. I thought it was just me and I might have picked up the cooties from some drive-by malware.

#SaucersForever #TrianglesCutDeep #TeamBeta #ShipOneisNumberOne
    edited June 2015
    The forums got an RNG. Lovely. Every time I click on anything now, I sometimes get redirected to the blog post. Including when I clicked Reply for this post.

Hm...I wonder if they are beta-testing the redirect to the new forums' main page, for when the migration actually happens.

• allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 735 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSUIQgEVDM4

Goodbye to the Forums I knew. Hello to new something or another that will not be given to rocks smacked together about. Where everything will be burried in a sea of whatever and our opinion is invalid on all accounts.
    edited June 2015
    Yes videos can be added to posts on the Arc forums. I just copied the address in my browser and posted it and the video shows up just fine.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/comment/36941

Edit: Hmm....I clicked the time under my name in my post and copied the URL in the address bar and posted it here, but it just takes you to the top of the page in the thread instead of directly to my post. It still seems there no way to get a direct link to an individual post over there. And still no post number for each post in a thread. On the STO forums you can click the post number above the post and it takes you to a page with just that 1 post, for example http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=24275041&postcount=76

LoL! Postception!
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I see that certain problems have not been fixed.

Security and Privacy

After signing in, I see that my email address is still associated with my Vanilla Forums account. Am I to assume that Perfect World has agreed to share our email addresses with Vanilla Forums?

Also, I started the following thread almost a month ago:

Security and privacy concerns regarding Arc and arcgames.com

Note that the thread is about Arc and arcgames.com, not the forum migration. You should really get your Arc team to look at it, because the security and privacy concerns go beyond just the forums.

Navigation

The content is hosted under perfectworld.vanillaforums.com instead of www.arcgames.com/en/forums. The pages on arcgames.com use JavaScript to embed the content from perfectworld.vanillaforums.com. This creates two problems:

1. There is a noticeable delay in render time. I can clearly see a flicker before the browser renders the content of the page.

2. When I click on a link, it often takes me to the middle of a page instead of the top. I suspect that the browser is remembering my scrollbar position from the previous page.

If it makes any difference, I am using Firefox to browse the forums. The navigation issues are annoying enough that I will probably only use arcgames.com to sign in. After that, I will go directly to perfectworld.vanillaforums.com to browse the forums.

Note that Google doesn't think the forum content lives on arcgames.com either. Compare the following searches:

site:arcgames.com Emei Arena Guide LaVidaLoca
    site:vanillaforums.com Emei Arena Guide LaVidaLoca

The first one comes up empty; the second one doesn't. Why? Because Google thinks that the forum content belongs to vanillaforums.com.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
    edited June 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSUIQgEVDM4

Goodbye to the Forums I knew. Hello to new something or another that will not be given to rocks smacked together about. Where everything will be burried in a sea of whatever and our opinion is invalid on all accounts.

This just in: After an uneventful summer, Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.
    edited June 2015
    Askraaaaaaaay!

Bottom left corner of each post on the Arc forums has a flag button. I predict you're gonna be busy once the migration is complete. :D

Edit: http://www.arcgames.com/en/user/pwlaughingtrendy/activity Tickle monster! Jesus Christ!

LOL Trendy. :D

Yeah again, I posted about the flag thing a long long time ago. :p

Alas, no one believed me.

• kimonykimony Member Posts: 571 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    So I tried to make a test post in that testing thread but no joy. Guess I have to wait till Monday.

:eek:

So I'll say here: I wish the quotes had more definition to them as the the grey bar is very faint and the font and color of the quoted text is the same as the post below making it all run together.

Couldn't the quoted text be at least italicized or something?

Thank you.

I'll miss the old forums and emojis..
    :'(

#SaucersForever #TrianglesCutDeep #TeamBeta #ShipOneisNumberOne
  • angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'm not happy about the switch. No I'm not one of those that hates change. It's that we are being switched to something that is not as good from a looks stand point (Kimony's example is one that pops out instantly when first looking at the arc forum). It also seems unintuitive and clunky. Much like the Doff UI change from awhile back. I understand why it is being done and I'll even use it. I'll just grumble softly to myself.
  • primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2015
    Will this be like the web site migration? With that one, all previousy accessible information got lost (like the original blog about the New Avenger), replaced with a pop-up that says:

Funny... All the Dev Blogs from the Old Site are Still There... including all the ones about the Avenger... Just Search for them in the Search Box on the news page where all the Blogs are... All the Old content is still here, just indifferent places.

Avenger Blog 1

Avenger Blog 2

kimony wrote: »
    So I tried to make a test post in that testing thread but no joy. Guess I have to wait till Monday.

:eek:

So I'll say here: I wish the quotes had more definition to them as the the grey bar is very faint and the font and color of the quoted text is the same as the post below making it all run together.

Couldn't the quoted text be at least italicized or something?

Thank you.

I'll miss the old forums and emojis..
    :'(

Guessing thats probably a CSS Change and may take a bit more to implement. but it is something I would like.

I Prefer all Quotes to appear as they do now...

(PS a "Horizontal Rule" Button would be great, then we don't have to waste 50 Characters on Dividers)

I would also LOVE a "Spoilers" Tag. We have this on our fleet forums. Allows you to place text in a Collapsible Box that is labeled "Spoilers" Allows people the chance to not view something while not being left out of the whole discussion.

We also use it to wrap "Sections" when we make Guide Posts. This way when you pull up the Guide. it Lists

Section 1
    [Collapsed Section]
    Section 2
    [Collapsed Section]
    Section 3

This way a Guide with 15 Sections that would print out on 10 Pages, is compressed into about 6 inches of Screenspace and a little easier to navigate.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    frtoaster wrote: »

Security and Privacy

After signing in, I see that my email address is still associated with my Vanilla Forums account. Am I to assume that Perfect World has agreed to share our email addresses with Vanilla Forums?

Note that the thread is about Arc and arcgames.com, not the forum migration. You should really get your Arc team to look at it, because the security and privacy concerns go beyond just the forums.

Navigation

The content is hosted under perfectworld.vanillaforums.com instead of www.arcgames.com/en/forums. The pages on arcgames.com use JavaScript to embed the content from perfectworld.vanillaforums.com. This creates two problems:

1. There is a noticeable delay in render time. I can clearly see a flicker before the browser renders the content of the page.

2. When I click on a link, it often takes me to the middle of a page instead of the top. I suspect that the browser is remembering my scrollbar position from the previous page.

If it makes any difference, I am using Firefox to browse the forums. The navigation issues are annoying enough that I will probably only use arcgames.com to sign in. After that, I will go directly to perfectworld.vanillaforums.com to browse the forums.

Note that Google doesn't think the forum content lives on arcgames.com either. Compare the following searches:

The first one comes up empty; the second one doesn't. Why? Because Google thinks that the forum content belongs to vanillaforums.com.

Here are some more usability problems.

Annoyance 1: Quoting someone automatically scrolls my browser tab to the bottom of the page. I really dislike it when web applications decide to take control of the browser like that.

Suggestion 1: Open a comment box below the post being quoted.

Annoyance 2: If I want to post a comment without quoting, then I have to scroll to the bottom of the page.

Suggestion 2: Add the ability to post from the top of the page without scrolling.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Is the autologin finally going to work as everytime I visit the forums I have to sign in even when I tick the box and it isn't the computer as it happens on every computer i visit the forums on at work home and on my android device
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    * puts hand up slowly at back of forum *
    How do you change your profile pic on the arc forums... thank you.
    * slowly puts hand down again *
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    frtoaster wrote: »

Security and Privacy

Navigation

I really, really hope postings like that don't get to be completely ignored when we rush head first into half-baked forum software lacking in "unimportant, non priority" things like security and privacy...
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    edited June 2015
    z3ndor99 wrote: »
    * puts hand up slowly at back of forum *
    How do you change your profile pic on the arc forums... thank you.
    * slowly puts hand down again *

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums#

After logging in (may need to refresh the page) click your username on the upper left side to go to the account page where you can change your preferences (right side). You should see an avatar on the left. Put your mouse over it and click the 'Change Picture' button at the top of the image. Then click the 'Browse' button and navigate to an image on your computer and select it. Or you can click 'Preferences' on the right then 'Change My Picture' on the left under the avatar, then click the 'Browse' button then 'Upload' below the browse button.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    (FYI sorry I posted stuff and kinda went off radar for a bit - my team went to see Jurassic World. Spoiler warning: dinosaurs happened.)

Those sneaky voth!!
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • ethoirethoir Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    This...does not thrill me. I took a peek at the forums the STO forums are migrating to and most of them aren't even divided into sub-forums for bug reports, gameplay help, and so on. It's just one list of topics that are all over the place (the exception is Swordsman. They have the right idea with that one).

1) Will we keep our join date and post counts? - I don't know.
    2) Can we not mingle with the communities for other games? - Short of not visiting the "new" forums at all (not even to read them), the answer is no.
    3) Why do they want all of their games in one basket? - No idea, but it may be for easier management and having more mods around to do said management.

I'm not thrilled with it. It will happen anyway, so I'm only pointing out that the merge makes me feel less inclined to "mingle". This specific community is nice, but I like keeping it separate from other games I may or may not play.

And BTW, the forums are not "slick". They don't have the STO theme. I hope we get the option to change the theme we view them in. The ability to set my theme to one of the older (and current) STO Forum visual styles would help make it look more familiar to me. :)
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    primar13 wrote: »
    Funny... All the Dev Blogs from the Old Site are Still There... including all the ones about the Avenger... Just Search for them in the Search Box on the news page where all the Blogs are... All the Old content is still here, just indifferent places.

Avenger Blog 1

Avenger Blog 2

Oooh, shiny. It had appeared lost forever following the web site migration, and eventually I stopped looking for them... thanks for the info.

Now let's just see how the forum migration goes...
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Thanks monkeybone :)
This discussion has been closed.