test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Propose your events for next Summer Festival

brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
I want to see snorkle/scuba as an activity/event:
1) Pearl Diving - snatch pearls from the oysters that grow to gargantuan size around the island
2) Spear Fishing - catch fish to sell at the market, or tag them for scientific study
3) Octopus Wrangling - deep sea life can fight back! Kill it or stun it?

I'd like to see sailing as an event and for recreation:
1) Windsurfing - get around the island, or do stunts to awe the crowds
2) Regattas - race for fun and prizes, both obstacle courses and distance courses
3) Travel - remote locations offer better fishing and more challenging sailing opportunities

For snorkle/scuba, the mechanics of 3D movement are already in place with the Floaters. Add a breath timer for snorkles and a tank timer for scuba, (with no time limit on Rebreathers,) add some swimming animations, and create some beautiful underwater scenery.

The mechanics of sailing are easy to compute. Sid Meier did it for the Commodore 360, after all. (Who here remembers Pirates?) Sloop and Lateen rigs offer superior turning and can tack into the wind more efficiently. Full Riggged vessels offer greater downwind speed at a cost of less maneuverability into the wind. Windsurfing boards, dinghys, catboats, and sloops are all easy to operate and require a single operator. Larger vessels may require cooperation by several players to operate. Can anyone say Fleet competition? (Say it real loud!) Rent by the hour, or lease for the entire festival, but don't get eaten by the giant kraken! (You will lose your deposit...)

Okay, so there's two ideas which could spawn a host of events and activities. So, what kind of events would you like to see in next year's Summer Festival?
Post edited by brian334 on

Comments

• lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Diving would pretty much force them to first make swimming possible, and when that is possible, there's no reason for every body of water to be only ankle deep, it would mean quite a bit of work.
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Diving would pretty much force them to first make swimming possible, and when that is possible, there's no reason for every body of water to be only ankle deep, it would mean quite a bit of work.

But open up a few new possibilities for episodes in the future. Just like space suits and Risian floaters did.

Cliff climbing. They already showed they make climable terrain all over Nimbus. Put in an event for speed and skill clmbing. (If the character uses any skills they get a poor sportsman accolade. If they get to the top with no skill use the get a good sportsman accolade.)

Still love to see them implement team beach volleyball. Even one on one would be cool.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Okay.. bare with me...

Hatham Chase.

We capture a few Armored Hatham's from New Romulus. The idea is for the player to get out before the horde of Armored Hatham's find you.

Then for the reward...

Armored Hatham non combat pets! (please!)
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • demonicaestheticdemonicaesthetic Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Judging by the number of visitors this year who appear to have lost legs...

I'd say what the island needs is bounties for catching all the damn sharks...
    <center><font size="+5"><b>Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...</b></size></center>
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Judging by the number of visitors this year who appear to have lost legs...

I'd say what the island needs is bounties for catching all the damn sharks...

It's not sharks, it's prep for next years clothing upgrade category in the crafting system. Like you get a chance for quality upgrades on starship and ground equipment you'll get a chance on parts of your legs and feet appearing again for about 10 upgrade tokens each at 1000 dilithium per use.

If your lucky you'll get mods like [Skimpy], [Tattered], [Bleached], etc.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    An underwater zone with diving and sightseeing and whatever else they can think up. Lemuria is a great looking zone in Champions Online, and I know they could do great at building a similar zone here.

Deeper development time here could also mean opening up underwater themed episodes in the future on oceanic planets or Earth or anywhere, really.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    more tents, but blue this time :P

seriously; swimming, scuba diving, fishing and more islands
  • jstewart55jstewart55 Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    An age-restricted clothing optional beach. :cool: I picture this as being a cross between Jadzia's hen night and the beach party in Police Academy.

An island-sprawling paintball gun fight.

An underwater exploration zone, with some kind of deep-sea submersible (which can come in three flavours (standard, enhanced, superior, and has a race of its own).

And fishing, of course.

FIRST PLAICE!
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Water Guns. Really that's all we need. And it isn't hard to implement. Maybe a PVP water gun fight to go along with it.

If that's too similar to the regular game, how about sky diving? Or there could even be a rock climbing wall which could be a new kind of PVP race. Yeah, a rock climbing race would be awesome.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Lazing on a Risian lounger for 15 minutes, doing nothing except enjoying the view (you can only rotate the camera to enjoy your character pixels or the oceanic and tropical pixels). No chatting, no PM'ing; just enjoying the sound of the waves and wildlife. Enforced relaxation. You could manage your character, ship, Boffs, and inventory, but no chatting at all.

Earn 40 Ship-related Special Marks upon completion (once per day), with every 5 minutes after awarding 10 Favors (unlimited; but you still will be kicked off after 30 minutes of inactivity).

Comes with 3 Accolades:
    - Rejuvenated - Gained for relaxing for 15 minutes.
    - Well-Rested - Gained for relaxing a total of 30 minutes.
    - Sleeper Agent - Gained for relaxing a total of 1 hour.
    -- Awards an extra 250 Favors.
  • generator88generator88 Member Posts: 698 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Lazing on a Risian lounger for 15 minutes, doing nothing except enjoying the view (you can only rotate the camera to enjoy your character pixels or the oceanic and tropical pixels). No chatting, no PM'ing; just enjoying the sound of the waves and wildlife. Enforced relaxation. You could manage your character, ship, Boffs, and inventory, but no chatting at all.

Earn 40 Ship-related Special Marks upon completion (once per day), with every 5 minutes after awarding 10 Favors (unlimited; but you still will be kicked off after 30 minutes of inactivity).

Comes with 3 Accolades:
    - Rejuvenated - Gained for relaxing for 15 minutes.
    - Well-Rested - Gained for relaxing a total of 30 minutes.
    - Sleeper Agent - Gained for relaxing a total of 1 hour.
    -- Awards an extra 250 Favors.

I love this idea.

"Get a tricorder and check him for life signs. Or at least put a mirror under him."

"Leave him alone, he's probably having the best time of anyone here..."
    =================

I'm sure your DPS is great, but as Kahless said, "a petaQ with high system mastery is still a petaQ." (Well, he should have said it...!)
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited June 2015

I'm loving it! :) I often find a lounger too, and just enjoy the view; but not as perfectly as you describe.

Other games, btw, have many (small) opportunities to enjoy the scenery too.

+1

N.B. And more 'sittable' positions too: like yesterday I wanted to sit on the wooden walkway, with my feet in the water (like some vacationers), but the game wouldn't let me.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • tigercatgirltigercatgirl Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    FERAL MONKEY CAVE ATTACK
    Introduce water guns and use the caves as an event. Having to shot the feral tiki monkeys, and then their leader from trying to overrun the island. They could even say they have been infected buy Iconians or something. Those tiki monkeys just look creepy and like they will attack you anyway.

FLOATER RACE CHALLENGE
    Using the floaters in a race as well. For both air and sea races though I would have different race tracks. That way it wouldn't be the same race all the time.
  • hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    To add, when I mean no chatting that means no responding. So even if would-be trolls PM spam, it doesn't reset the timer. Only responding back does (adding to ignore or report spam doesn't affect the timer either). So minimizing your chat bar effectively resolves that.

Camera movement and managing your crew and ship is there if only to allow you to avoid going AFK, if you want to rest more than the mandated 15 minutes.

Some other sitting/lounging emotes could possibly be attached to the last Accolade as well, if only to motivate some to just relax and ignore the chat entirely.

This would either serve as the main way to earn the ship marks or an extra to the usual Jetpack runs.
  • sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Anything that involves a mission to earn the ship, instead of the annoying jetpack nonsense. I don't do Risa.
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Rock Climbing is an excellent idea, and implementable with a very few animations and some gear like pitons and hammers.

There are already spots on the Risa map that are not easily accessible without floaters. The first year Risa was opened for the festival I attempted to climb every peak, and found my way up quite a few of them. It was fun even without rewards being offered.

Now add in some extra maps accessible only by sailboat:

A famously difficult cliff-face to climb on an island surrounded by oyster beds.
    A volcanic vent which leads down into a lava lake where special crafting materials are found.
    A shattered cinder cone which has a half-dozen progressively more difficult climbs, creating an archipelago which offers a natural obstacle course for sailboats.

Special equipment:
    Emergency transporter which automatically activates in any fall greater than 10 meters.
  • arachnaasarachnaas Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Some sort of catapult to throw ferengi into the bay. Extra points the closer you get to the buoy

Water balloon fight.

Some sort of underground dance club for all the Remans. I'm sure it's too bright for them at the normal location.

More boardwalk stuff, like a fortune teller that gives you a random buff for the day....or debuff if the devs are feeling sadistic.
  • mithril2098mithril2098 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    an underwater exploration zone could be fuin.. but here's what i'd suggest..

it exists on its own map, and you access it through a vendor/NPC. much like the asteroid mining or Nukara maps, this keeps things fairly straight forward. it also means you need an equipped Enviroment suit to visit it.

make it an alien coral reef.. lots of glowing terrain features and stuff to see, makes it more interesting. "floaters" should work on the map as normal.. can have the NPC point out that floaters are waterproof and useful under water to help explain it.

activities can include;
    *scenic view spots (marked somehow) similar to the current island
    *obtaining 'risian pearls' from giant alien clams as a hunt type activity.. actual reward would be favors but the pearls can be mentioned in the mission briefing from the NPC. (the mechanics could be similar to the current Horghan hunt)
    *Fighting Dewan Giant Nanov - NPC describes how these animals were introduced by the ferengi but have been disrupting the ecosystem of the reef, so a bounty on them has been placed. gives out favors and tags. (note i just grabbed one of the few aquatic wildlife already in the game for this, could invent a new wildlife critter instead of that works better story wise)
    *some kind of rally-race.. travel to specific points in a certain sequence within a given time limit.

note that the latter three missions could have their own "bonus favors" periods, though i'd suggest that it be on a different timer than the current island.

"Tiny little dots far, far away. Our eyes drawn to the twinkle of a hundred billion galaxies. Giving life to illusion, illusion to life. Something upon which to hang our hopes."
    - Tobias LeConte - Dream Weaver - seaQuest DSV