test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cryptic, give us an ability to destroy cover shields.

stuart1965stuart1965 Member Posts: 691 Arc User
Players who abuse the use of covershields has been mentioned before, and so far cryptic have done nothing about it. cryptic you need to start listening.
Cryptic, Give us an ability to destroy covershields, which block progress in a mission.
If not destroy these shields, then the ability to walk through them.
This would obviously stop game abusers in their tracks.
Please do something about this problem, and don't leave it abandoned.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I feel that players should be able to move through Cover Shields as if they were not there unless they are specifically in a PvP match against someone using one. Doing that would rremove all possible griefing caused by the ability.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Yeah, removing collision for friendlies would be enough to fix the problem, while leaving collision for enemies and their weapons fire.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Destroying a core ability for Engineers on Ground?

Cry harder, fools.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Destroying a core ability for Engineers on Ground?

Cry harder, fools.

People actually willingly and knowingly put that thing on their bars let alone use it?

About its only use is not taking up space on your action bar.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    People actually willingly and knowingly put that thing on their bars let alone use it?

About its only use is not taking up space on your action bar.

You must not be an Engineer, because any half-decent Engineer would understand what Cover Shield does for you and the team.

1. On the many featureless maps of STO, there's not much in the way of cover to break LOS when you need to buy breathing space. Cover Shield can provide that.

2. A DOFF exists to give Cover Shield a good dose of Resists to those nearby it. Very useful in many places and most especially in Bug Hunt where the guys need as much resists as they can get.

3. Both 1 & 2 make Cover Shield a big part of Fabrications, Bunker, Turret play. Cover Shield will help protect Generators laid behind it. Any friendlies nearby will get the Resists. If anyone needs to break LOS to get themselves together, Cover Shield is there.

So, do understand what one talks about before spewing useless, uninformed garbage.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    i've been a recipient of cover shield griefing in Voth BZ. where people have intentionally placed cover shields at one of the entrances to the command centre blocking access or have tried to place them to block a transporter. This is not using the ability to hep the team but to hinder and interrupt other players enjoyment

No ones asking for the power against NPC's to be nerfed, they want it to function exactly AS IS against enemies. People want it fixed so griefer's can't use the ability against them which is an issue by a small number of idiots

warmaker001b can't understand you're strong vocal objection to this change. you're not one of them are you ?
  • Options
    renulinrenulin Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    Yeah, removing collision for friendlies would be enough to fix the problem, while leaving collision for enemies and their weapons fire.

I'm no programmer, but that sounds like something really complicated to do.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    renulin wrote: »

I am one, and it shouldn't be.

STO has a ton of AOE powers that only affect enemies not friendlies. Cover shield needs to be moved into that group.
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited June 2015
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    I feel that players should be able to move through Cover Shields as if they were not there unless they are specifically in a PvP match against someone using one. Doing that would rremove all possible griefing caused by the ability.

Second this. Simple solution.

The only draw back might be that friendlies could 'shoot' through them. I'm fine with that result as it would make the cover shield more viable in PvE. As PvP doesn't really exist anymore, that should not be a consideration.
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    renulin wrote: »

Force field dome uses this already. Shouldnt be hard to use the same mechanic for cover shield.
    You must not be an Engineer, because any half-decent Engineer would understand what Cover Shield does for you and the team.

1. On the many featureless maps of STO, there's not much in the way of cover to break LOS when you need to buy breathing space. Cover Shield can provide that.

2. A DOFF exists to give Cover Shield a good dose of Resists to those nearby it. Very useful in many places and most especially in Bug Hunt where the guys need as much resists as they can get.

3. Both 1 & 2 make Cover Shield a big part of Fabrications, Bunker, Turret play. Cover Shield will help protect Generators laid behind it. Any friendlies nearby will get the Resists. If anyone needs to break LOS to get themselves together, Cover Shield is there.

So, do understand what one talks about before spewing useless, uninformed garbage.

You are actually missing the point of the OP. Though he doesnt say it clearly. Its about troll not being able to troll anymore on Risa, UIE, Defera etc.
    But it should work like force field dome (without the fire-through mechanic, though even this wouldnt be un-canon). I am too opposed to being able to destroy them. That would only lead to more griefing.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    woodwhity wrote: »
    You are actually missing the point of the OP. Though he doesnt say it clearly. Its about troll not being able to troll anymore on Risa, UIE, Defera etc.

Oh, no I'm not missing anything:

"Cryptic, Give us an ability to destroy covershields"

With all the AOE attacks in this game, the Cover Shields in such a scenario would be hit also, regardless if the players meant to or not. With all the Full Auto Rifles, Pulsewaves, Split Beam Rifles, PBAOE, AOE abilities, yes, the Cover Shields will get hit also with friendly fire.

My point still stands.
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    I dont think many are, cover shields are a liability when in a BOFF since they are unable to use the ability correctly and will do stupid things, players can.

The problem is the block mechanic that is used for trolling but the same would happen with any ability that can affect players, this includes devices as snowballs.

BOFF/NPC AI is TRIBBLE. They'll drop it and actually move away from it, negating the entire point of Cover Shields. It's more for the timely, precise use by Player Engineers. That's where Cover Shields shine.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I am one, and it shouldn't be.

STO has a ton of AOE powers that only affect enemies not friendlies. Cover shield needs to be moved into that group.

It is complex, because it deals with hard LoS, and it's a part of the core game engine. Meaning, as far as collision goes, the engine does not differentiate allies and enemies. They are treated as objects with collision.

Force Field Dome does not handle collision or LoS, it is an AoE repel effect, which is able to differentiate allies and enemies.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Second this. Simple solution.

The only draw back might be that friendlies could 'shoot' through them. I'm fine with that result as it would make the cover shield more viable in PvE. As PvP doesn't really exist anymore, that should not be a consideration.

I don't think I've ever been hit with primary fire from a friendly's weapon, which is what the Cover Shield is meant to stop. I HAVE been hit with AoE effects from friendlies, both in space (close-attack strafing run, got AoE'd by a teammate's Heavy Plasma Torp), and on the ground (Nanites and Active Immunity), but never by direct weapons fire.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    vsilverwings1vsilverwings1 Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Something needs to be done indeed.
  • Options
    aoax10aoax10 Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    There has been someone botting on Defera where they use 3 cover shields to the Power Plant so no body can get by. Really frustrating.
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Just get rid of it and come up with something different to give engineers in its place.

How about something like the Vesta has in space: an invincibility shield that you can not fire from when active.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Just remove collision for friendlies and/or disable the use in social/safe zones. Problem solved, no "destruction" needed.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou