test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

If you won the Lottery, what would you do next?

hawkwing43hawkwing43 Member Posts: 1,701 Arc User
edited June 2015 in Ten Forward
Let's say you won 500 million dollars in whatever lottery.

What would you do next?

Of course 1st you pay your taxes on the money. lol

So let's hear what you would do, if you won that much money. :D
Post edited by hawkwing43 on

Comments

• theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    hawkwing43 wrote: »

What would you do next?

Build my own medieval citadel :D
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • hawkwing43hawkwing43 Member Posts: 1,701 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      Now that's thinking big. lol
    • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      A high percentage of Lottery winners go broke because people are poor at managing their own money. So I will say that most people will spend it all foolishly and then file bankruptcy within 7 years. :)
      STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    • sovereign47sovereign47 Member Posts: 399 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      I would buy myself a penthouse in New York City and a big luxury house on Hawaii, Bahamas or some other exotic place. Both the penthouse and the house would be designed as Star Trek starships :cool:

Next thing would be a large building which would be used for SF conventions and besides that it would ensure to keep the money flowing :D

Of course, I would also buy a private jet which would resemble some of the smaller craft from ST. I think there's no need to mention that my yet would have VTOL capabilities :D
      Part of money would go for private yacht with heliport, hangar for cars and a small submarine. All ST designed ofc.

Rest would go for a various muscle cars like Dodge Charget RT from 1969, Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 (Eleanor), Dodge Challenger RT from 1970 and others such.

And I think that's pretty much all when it comes to big things, and I won't even start with small things 'cause that list would be freaking huge :D
      FED ENG: FA Sirius Verax (USS Leviathan) , FED TAC (Delta): FA Adria Tyllex (USS Thunderblade) , ROM TAC: ADM Kill'ina (IRW Imperix Thrai) , KLING ENG (Delta): LT. GEN Ghol'Vaq Martok (IKS Qeh'Ral II) - 44th Fleet member
      SZ1RgUL.jpg
      SUPPORTING PLAYABLE CARDASSIAN AND DOMINION FACTIONS!
    • philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
      edited June 2015
      1. Pay taxes
      2. Pay bills
      3. Pay off debts.
      4. Put some money aside to pay for future bills (and an entertainment budget -- which includes for computer software and hardware (including upgrades)).
      5. Help fund a new STO, character/exploration/story-driven (not 99% dependent on fighting), with no P2W whatsoever. A structure for reasonably earning towards whichever item(s) a player wants, with as little grinding as possible.
      6. Help fund a new Star Trek TV series, worthy of those that came before.
    • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      Simple. The first thing I would do is put a few million in some investment bank that gives back the interest on a monthly or annually basis so that even if I lose most of my money, I will still be able to live comfortably. $5 million at 2% interest will give about $100,000 a year and if you can't live off of $100,000 a year, then there is something wrong with you.
    • allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 735 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      Build my own medieval citadel :D

Come on, think bigger. I'd build the Tower of Orthanc.
    • sovereign47sovereign47 Member Posts: 399 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      5. Help fund a new STO, character/exploration/story-driven (not 99% dependent on fighting), with no P2W whatsoever. A structure for reasonably earning towards whichever item(s) a player wants, with as little grinding as possible.
      6. Help fund a new Star Trek TV series, worthy of those that came before.

Damn! How could I forgot about that. Nvm, I'm adding those two ideas on my list :D And I think there is no need to mention that both the series and new STO would be post Nemesis (so 2380's period) :cool:
      starkaos wrote: »
      Simple. The first thing I would do is put a few million in some investment bank that gives back the interest on a monthly or annually basis so that even if I lose most of my money, I will still be able to live comfortably. $5 million at 2% interest will give about $100,000 a year and if you can't live off of $100,000 a year, then there is something wrong with you.

That's true. Unfortunately, however there are some people that actually think that 100 k dollars per year is not enough for them.
      FED ENG: FA Sirius Verax (USS Leviathan) , FED TAC (Delta): FA Adria Tyllex (USS Thunderblade) , ROM TAC: ADM Kill'ina (IRW Imperix Thrai) , KLING ENG (Delta): LT. GEN Ghol'Vaq Martok (IKS Qeh'Ral II) - 44th Fleet member
      SZ1RgUL.jpg
      SUPPORTING PLAYABLE CARDASSIAN AND DOMINION FACTIONS!
    • nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      1. Retire
      2. Put half in some form of investment and live off the interest payments.
      3. Fund each of the current fan made Star Trek spin offs through to completion.
      4. travel the world
      5. Perhaps......buy Cryptic? :D (and NO, I wont be sacking anyone :) )
      6. Ensure Trendy's bacon supply is never exhausted.
      server_hamster6.png
    • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      I'd buy a plane ticket to NY City, then take a taxi to 725 Fifth Avenue to show the owner my avatar/sig pic. Because "lol, why not?" Then I'd buy the best gaming computer and equipment, then donate/invest the rest of the money.
      I ask nothing but that you remember me.
    • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      That's true. Unfortunately, however there are some people that actually think that 100 k dollars per year is not enough for them.
      The value of $100,000.00 really depends on where you live. Living on $100k in Manhattan or San Francisco is not the same as living on $100k in Booneville, Mississippi. In Manhattan it would be considered slightly above the median. In Booneville you would probably be one of the wealthiest people in the town. :)
      STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    • cyberpunk1977cyberpunk1977 Member Posts: 179 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      1) Buy House & Car
      2)Give money to friends & Family
      3)Virgin Galactic ticket
      4)Buy & Run a Gym
    • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      1. Set up trust funds for the children. As lotteries generally have an option for a multi-year payout (usually around 25 years or so), the trust funds would have regular annual deposits of $1 million for the length of the payout.

2. Invest. Berkshire-Hathaway seems a good bet, as it's headed (or at least was headed - not sure he's still in charge) by someone who became one of the richest men in the world through his investment savvy.

After that comes time for spending frivolously - once I've secured a permanent income.
      Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    • robyvisionrobyvision Member Posts: 293 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      With that kind of money I would never again have any problems like what to use as toilet paper, or how to start a fire.:rolleyes:
    • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      I'd take 250 million to pay off debt, get a decent apartment, and a decent car.
      I'd continue to work, investing and saving whatever remained of that 250 million.

The other 250 million would be donated. Off the top of my head, I'd donate to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the Make-A-Wish Foundation, and the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada. I'd have to research other worthy causes at that point.
    • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
      edited June 2015

What would you do next?

1) Got $250 million left after taxes
      2) Hire an accountant to help me decide to do with it
      3) A decent chunk would be invested so it would last me my whole life ($20-$30 mil)
      4) Travel everywhere in the world. Heck, take one of those permanent world cruises for a couple fo years.
      5) After I"m done travelling, buy two or three houses in different places I like.
    • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      1 and 2 would be to hire a lawyer and financial advisor.

3 would be to set up trust funds to make sure that my parents' retirement is taken care of, and then that I had a stable income no matter what. If I had children by the time this happened, similar funds would be set up to ensure my spouse and kids' expenses were handled too, though for children, working, at the very least getting an internship or apprenticeship, would be a requirement to get their education funded and being allowed to continue living in the house rent-free until they had enough to move out on their own. (My philosophy is that if a young person is working full time and saving most all of each paycheck instead of blowing it recklessly, and they are being respectful of others in the house, it is acceptable for them to live at home for some time, since that early savings is critical for retirement later.)

4...quite possibly, go back to school full time and do something that I really love. Most likely that would be getting a full refresher in Spanish, and then getting a degree in Russian as well. Maybe I'd get another degree as well, in one of those fields that "you'll never get a good job in" because now I wouldn't be dependent on that salary to make ends meet. The idea of being able to dedicate a significant portion of my adult life to learning, without having to take loans or ruin my work-life balance is incredibly attractive.

5...Consider writing full time, and then being part of the translation team for my own works (though it is generally advised to have a native speaker of the target language as part of the team to prevent embarrassing literal translations). Or if not full time writing, continuing through to a doctorate and dedicating myself to teaching in whichever field I choose for my terminal degree. Of course with my annuity income, I would be at liberty to choose the right school and not one with any sort of wacko staff.

Anyway, step 5 I am not really sure of...step 4 more so.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
      Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
      edited June 2015
      [Double post--deleted]

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
      Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      Apart from putting enough away to live comfortably on the interest.....

Travel the world, stopping long enough in places I enjoyed, to study for a year, at various universities.

Possibly leaving enough money at each university I attended, so someone less fortunate then I could attend the school, full time on a scholarship.

I thnk that would make me very happy.
      [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
    • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
      edited June 2015

What would you do next?

hand off a few million to my father and sister alone, i will keep a few million as well after paying my stuff, getting a place (like in the widerness in canada not far from a main road to local towns, nice mountainous area covered in trees, nice little river, sort of picturesque setting, clean crisp air in the mornings) stocking it up, paying 5 years worth of bills and rent, drivers licence, vehicle and so on, the few million is incase things go wrong. the rest i honestly dont care about, money is an evil tool used to enslave and conquer, it turns good people evil and unfortunately there is no way to live without this.. means, to survive.

what i will do with the remaining amount is i will likely use a little of it to travel around, always wanted to goto usa, russia and australia. see a few motor races, get autographs, pictures, stuff that will stay with you. not looking for much, just a nice quiet life and if there are jobs in canada for low skilled workers like myself (simple man here), then all the better.

with all that done, the rest i would likely give away. make sure its done directly and make sure none of it is kicked back to the government. i would likely hand it out to those people displaced in africa, get them to a better place or give them the ability to start over. europe destroyed the african economy 100 years or so ago, so if i could repay that and help out, all the better.
      T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
      Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
      edited June 2015
      There would definitely be philanthropy for me too--child and adult literacy is one of the things I care greatly about. I would give to initiatives in my area that work with functionally illiterate adults to help them learn to read and handle their finances. There is additional giving I would do that is of a very private nature and I don't want to discuss it on the forums. (All of it would be anonymous as far as the public is concerned, kept between me and the organizations/institutions I gave to. I don't like a lot of attention.)

• jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      in the UK all lotto wins are tax free so I just retire and see what every day brings.
      JtaDmwW.png
    • grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      I would just save it until a time where it is needed or I would like to buy something (after I built by castle of course).
      say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
    • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      Pay off my student loans and car loan, pay off the mortgage on my folks' house, give a goodly sum to UMCOR and Doctors Without Borders and my alma mater, save and invest whatever's left over.
      "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
      — Sabaton, "Great War"
      VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      First thing I would do is not tell anyone and wish my identity not be released.

Next, pay off my little remaining debts, get a nice but not absurd house.

Next, I'd start looking into how to make this money work for me. I'm not gonna lie. I don't know too well about that aspect :cool:
      XzRTofz.gif
    • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      1. Divorce wife*
      2. Buy MV Brigitte Bardot
      3. Have MV Brigitte Bardot converted to luxury yacht and renamed 'Adventurer'
      4. Sail to Monaco.
      5. Live there. Like A Boss :cool:

We have already discussed and agreed to this, as she doesn't wish to partake in steps 2-5...

[Edit] Got the boat's original name wrong :O
    • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      After paying the obligatory taxes and loan debts ... purchase a working replica of the Mach 5.
    • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      Buy as many of those Tribble toys as I can. Put them everywhere.
    • demonicaestheticdemonicaesthetic Member Posts: 3 Arc User
      edited June 2015

What would you do next?

Well, first of all I wouldn't pay taxes on it, you don't pay taxes on lottery wins here.

2nd, convert the $500 mil into real British pounds.

3rd buy a small apartment high enough off the ground that I never have to listen to other peoples kids, when I'm at home, no matter how loud they get.

4th, set up my own mini lan, with several top spec pc's, for my games and web access.

5th, get drunk and celebrate.
      <center><font size="+5"><b>Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
      Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...</b></size></center>
    • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
      edited June 2015

What would you do next?

Give $10 million to my dad to spread around the family as he sees fit.
      Give $5 million to the girlfriend for having put up with me all these years to do with as she sees fit.

For the rest...

20% to Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.
      20% to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.
      20% to American Red Cross.
      5% to Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation.
      5% to Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America.
      5% to Habitat for Humanity International.
      5% to Goodwill Industries International.
      5% to Boys and Girls Clubs of America.
      3% to Marine Toys for Tots Foundation.
      2% to Wounded Warriors Family Support.
      2% to Fisher House Foundation.
      2% to National Council on Aging.
      2% to Child Find of America.
      1% to LiveStrong Foundation.
      1% to United Service Organizations.
      1% to American Humane Association.
      1% to World Wildlife Fund.