test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Name a movie that could have been great, but got it all wrong.

hawkwing43hawkwing43 Member Posts: 1,701 Arc User
edited June 2015 in Ten Forward
Ok I know we have a ton of movie watchers out there. So lets have some fun today.

Name a movie in your mind that could have been great, but they got it WRONG! I will list some from time to time, but I will start off with this movie.

Speed Racer!

Now I was a huge Speed Racer fan when I was a kid, and when I heard they were making a live action version of it. Well.....I was pumped, but what I seen on the big screen just left me with a huge..........WHY! It was done all wrong, and it could have been great. Just NO! lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V8sLlqJB2w

So what are a few of yours?
Post edited by hawkwing43 on

Comments

• rooster707rooster707 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    >_>

<_<

*whispers*

76561198032353876.png
  • ambassadormolariambassadormolari Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Avengers: Age of Ultron. Soooo many things went disappointingly wrong with that movie.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2015
    Avengers: Age of Ultron. Soooo many things went disappointingly wrong with that movie.

Well wait for the Directors Cut later on.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    47 Ronin. As a huge Samurai-movie fan ... I walked away from my couch saying "DAMMIT" and wanting my time back.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Unfortunately I have to agree. It felt very rushed. But I heard that 40 minutes were cut. I'm not sure I would have wanted to sit for another 40 minutes of the same stuff...but if those 40 minutes made everything else better, I would have been willing.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • f9thretxcf9thretxc Member Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I think the remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still , completely missed the mark that the first one had. the original is still a superior film in every way.
    My mother always told me to walk away from a fight, The Marines taught me how.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Starship Troopers.

The novel was a contemplation of the nature of duty, honor, and courage, and how those can be tested.

The movie (which to be fair started as something totally different, until someone noticed the similarities between their script and Heinlein's novel) took a big steaming dump on all of the above, then wiped with the laws of physics and the size of the galaxy. (Launching an asteroid strike from the far side of the galaxy? Really??) And they cast Casper van Diem as Juan Rico, a man who spoke Tagalog at home and was quite clearly nothing like van Diem.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Star Trek 2009 - starts off not too bad then boom vulcan!!
    Star Trek into Darkness - Khan

Battleship -
    Transformers - revenge of the fallen
    Transformers - dark of the moon
    Transformers - age of extinction

GIJoe - both of them
    JtaDmwW.png
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Thunderbirds (2004)
    Spider-Man 3
    The Last Airbender
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Aw snap .. Thunderbirds!! Yes, that one. Good gawd that could have been a great franchise.
  • galattgalatt Member Posts: 707 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Remake of War of the Worlds.
    It could have been so good but then they cast Tom Cruise as the lead:(
    sig_picture_resize_by_gx_9901-db9d1v1.png
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Everything after the first "Matrix" movie. They laid the groundwork for something that could've been a great series.

Then made two craptastic sequels.
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Catwoman - did anybody involved bothered to look at more than the cover of one comic issue (and reject even that because they felt their creative freedom was to restricted with that)? That second Burton Batman Movie was a better Catwoman Movie.

But mad respect for Halle Berry to pick up the Razzie herself, this must have took a lot of courage to do.
  • tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Damn....

Pretty much anything I could of mentioned, everyone else has already.

But the only one that has had a revival of any kind is the new Thunderbirds series Thunderbirds Are Go. Now if a US channel would just pick up this new series.... Trailer Link

Thank you for the time...
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited June 2015
    ryan218 wrote: »
    Spider-Man 3

Oh, YES... I remember how disappointed I felt after seeing that the night it came out. Part of the problem is that there was a TON of teenagers in the theater talking during the film (really?!)... but, then, yeah... just way too much crammed in, none of it good.

Also... I'll say The Dark Knight Rises. It wasn't terrible, but I still feel it missed the mark for what it *could* have been... and I love Christopher Nolan movies.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited June 2015
    The Wild, Wild West

I'm a huge fan of the TV show, and really, really wanted to see this succeed. Instead it was more like "The Fresh Prince of the Old West". The film did have much going for it: cool steampunk, a good villain (who should NOT have been named Loveless), Kevin Kline as Artimus Gordon, just to name a few. But it forgot the nature of its source material, and got lost somewhere in sex jokes, racial/handicap trash talking, and cliches like "greatest rivals become best friends".

Sadly, the franchise has become a black mark because of that film. I'd really, really like them to begin again and make a trilogy proper to the TV show. Get either Warwick Davis or Peter Dinklage to play Miguelito Loveless (and get the other to play his brother/cousin Arliss). :cool:
  • grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    As someone already mentioned, Prometheus. It would have been a decent movie if it weren't for all the dismembered organs blocking the audiences vision.
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited June 2015
    Day Earth Stood Still, Last Air bender, Twilight, Titanic, Dare Devil, The Dark Night, [insert movie title here]
  • f9thretxcf9thretxc Member Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    <snip>

And last, and it pains me to say this, the recent Godzilla. I soooooo want to like this film but it had way too much filler, focused on the wrong characters, and played keepaway with the monster battles. About the only good thing I can say is they got the look and feel of the monsters right.

I kind of liked the new Godzilla. Side note here, I am in my late 40's, wife is 15 years older than me, and next month for my birthday, she has a standing order to get me the new Godzilla game for the PS3. I have played every version since the old NES, and love them.

Only fighting type game that I like.

Sorry for the hijack friends.
    My mother always told me to walk away from a fight, The Marines taught me how.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015
    Well... since no one has said it...

Super Mario Bros.

Mario and Luigi being from BROOKLYN, Luigi has no 'stache, evolved Dinosaurs that LOOK EXACTLY LIKE HUMANS... only redeeming feature besides Daisy was the Bob-omb Scene.

Street Fighter

The one with Van Damme. That was "Lets cram as many characters in as possible." NONE of the characters really stood out because of it. Not even Guile, who was apparently one of the characters in the spotlight.

Alien 3
    Admit it, you were rooting for the Xeno in this one. Hicks dead? Newt dead? Ripley with a death sentence right off the bat with the facehugger? ONLY character you like is Ripley? Kill 'em all Xeno. Kill 'em all.

Alien Resurrection
    WTF were they smoking? A human/Xeno hybrid clone of Ripley just to get their hands on Xenos?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    anything and everything ever touched by lens flair ahem I mean JJ abrams.. past present and future he is gonna TRIBBLE up everything he so much as breaths upon
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Alien 3
    Admit it, you were rooting for the Xeno in this one. Hicks dead? Newt dead? Ripley with a death sentence right off the bat with the facehugger? ONLY character you like is Ripley? Kill 'em all Xeno. Kill 'em all.
    Wow, that was a huge letdown i still remember. (even it's been 23 years.)

I'm surprised no one mentioned the biggest letdowns in cinema history...
    Star Wars Episode I-III
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • kimonykimony Member Posts: 571 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Lost in Space

aka

Joey in Spaaaace!

:(

Edit:

And about Speed Racer (and a seeming majority of Japanese shows remade by American studios) Do they not realize that the mecha, vehicles, gear, powers, visual look, are characters in and of themselves and a major part of the appeal of the shows they are remaking?

Not saying they should never change anything but come on, how could you TRIBBLE up Speed Racer? Here's how, we'll introduce our new ultra cool Mach 6 cause that's why you went to see Speed Racer for right? Not the car every kid wished they owned all their childhood days and star of the show, the Mach 5.. and when we do show the Mach 5 racing (the best part of the movie IMO) we'll have it use the auto-jacks to be flippin around like a fish on the deck.

:eyeroll:

Now look at how the Japanese studios remake the shows, Space Battleship Yamato Movie: Not the greatest movie ever, but not bad. They changed things but everything looked like it belonged and they didn't try to out-cool themselves cause -- It's already cool and beloved-- For god sakes the ship's canons even fire like they did in the anime!

Come on American studios, get it together!

Rant off.

#SaucersForever #TrianglesCutDeep #TeamBeta #ShipOneisNumberOne
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited June 2015
    kimony wrote: »
    Lost in Space

aka

Joey in Spaaaace!

:(

I really wanted to like that film. Great actors, great special effects, nods to the original series, crummy and somewhat confusing ending.
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    PoTC: At World's End

Seriously, they had the makings for potentially the most EPIC naval battle ever seen in the history of cinema, instead the final act only has two ships breaking from the groups and fighting it out while everyone else just hangs back. :eek:
  • lessley00lessley00 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The Dark Knight

[Insert MASSIVE flame here]
    Captain Joseph Riker, U.S.S. Odyssey==General V'Mar, U.S.S. Blackwater-A==Admiral Laura Holmes, U.S.S. Forward Unto Dawn
    Grand Master Thotok, son of Koloth, I.K.S. Sompek==Dahar Master Shanara, I.K.S. Balth'Quv

Admiral R'Tath V'Tirex, R.R.W. Dhael Glohha'enh==Commander Ta'eth Korval, R.R.W Hachae ch'Rhian==Admiral Vranuk, R.R.W Delevhas
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Batman Forever, Superman Returns, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, American Sniper, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, Transformers: Dark of the Moon, Gi Joe: Rise of Cobra, and Expendables 3