test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

FPS slow down in certain Ground Missions

Comments

• allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 735 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    jakeshi wrote: »
    Same problem here, massive FPS drops on Risa. Last year on the same PC was everything OK. Specs: AMD FX-8350, AMD Radeon R9 270X, 8GB RAM

Same, I never had any issues last year on Risa with this computer. The only thing that ever changed was increasing my ram. I can't even run the board race without going outside the borders of the track off the bat. The favor hunt is something I can complete, but and an extremely slow rate.
  • stumpfgobsstumpfgobs Member Posts: 297 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I am joining the club.

I can run around on ESD while its bursting at the seams with no issues but on risa i don't get fps. I get SPF (Seconds per Frame).

Is it maybe a CPU issue? I've seen AMD cpus (i got one) hang themself if they get swamped by floating point calculations (usually physics). Feels pretty much like it. It is just a stab in the dark though.

I hope they get a fix. I'm really missing out on the summer event. :(
  • turakkataseturakkatase Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    stumpfgobs wrote: »
    I am joining the club.

I can run around on ESD while its bursting at the seams with no issues but on risa i don't get fps. I get SPF (Seconds per Frame).

Is it maybe a CPU issue? I've seen AMD cpus (i got one) hang themself if they get swamped by floating point calculations (usually physics). Feels pretty much like it. It is just a stab in the dark though.

I hope they get a fix. I'm really missing out on the summer event. :(

Don't think it is a AMD CPU issue (or at least, not only that). I'm experiencing this too but last year was just fine on Risa. Running an Intel i7 hex-core CPU at 3.2 GHz, dual AMD Radeon 7970s and 32 GB of RAM.
  • angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I posted in the other thread about Risa only. but I am experiencing issues on other maps so, I i figured it wouldn't hurt to post here as well.

system info

MSI 790fx MB 16GB RAM
    AMD Phenom II 965 BE (liquid cooled)
    NVidia 460 GTX
    Most settings have been tweaked and overclocked

I swapped in an MSI 970 GTX out of a friends computer and got the same results

about 9-11 FPS on risa regardless of graphic settings.

also, has there been any dev response to this issue?

EDIT: So I was playing around with the nvidia control panel. under the physX heading if I force physX to my CPU the FPS at Risa improves some. improves is used lightly here. instead of a bounce between 9 and 11 (and 12-14 looking out at the water) I got 12-17 FPS (over 40 looking out toward the water!!!). I only got a severe drop when looking exactly at the middle of the island. This drop was to 9 FPS. Risa was actually almost playable.
  • jakeshijakeshi Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Don't think it is a AMD CPU issue (or at least, not only that). I'm experiencing this too but last year was just fine on Risa. Running an Intel i7 hex-core CPU at 3.2 GHz, dual AMD Radeon 7970s and 32 GB of RAM.

Small summary:

There are problems on Intel and AMD CPUs, same nVidia and AMD GPUs. Looks like the PhysX is responsible for the problem. STO has old and unoptimized engine.

My FX-8350 is used for 10% when playing STO, and GPU too (R9 270X).
  • kajofolfkajofolf Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    And still no official answer... typical. Why do we even still bother with this incompetent folk here?
    I've no ****ing clue...
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    kajofolf wrote: »
    And still no official answer... typical. Why do we even still bother with this incompetent folk here?
    I've no ****ing clue...

And nothing in this weeks release notes either. I think its time to write the summer event off. Even if (and it is a vast if at this point) a fix is coming next week, its just going to too much of a damned rush to get the ship.

Bitterly, bitterly, bitterly disappointing Cryptic.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • timerastimeras Member Posts: 33 Media Corps
    edited June 2015
    In the german forums, the community manager Nevandon answered to the thread and promised to report the problem.

http://sto-forum.de.perfectworld.eu/showthread.php?t=367272&page=2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Photonen im Wind a foundry mission by timeras13
    Photonen im Eis a foundry mission by timeras13
    Photonen im Schatten a foundry mission by timeras13
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I've noticed a number of times, the FPS on the Vlugta Fleet Mine has been pretty poor since S10.
  • demonicaestheticdemonicaesthetic Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I haven't had an y fps slowdowns on Risa...

Until after todays patch... Now I periodically get laggy surges and fps drops absymally for 30-60 seconds then picks up again, also now getting increased rendering failures, or rendering delays in scenery.

Not impressed with todays 'Fix'.
    <center><font size="+5"><b>Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...</b></size></center>
  • trexelcat#9733 trexelcat Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    It isn't just the ground missions for me. It's freakin' everywhere. Before the Iconian war I could run nearly the entire game on max graphics and have little to no frame rate loss with the exception of large, weapon heavy multi ship battles. Now the game is practically completely unplayable with 1-5fps. I can run The Old Republic better than that and it has more of a demand on graphics.
  • cvstoscvstos Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    On several ground maps, not just Risa, I have to set the graphics to minimum to maintain 20fps. I used to be able to max everything.

AMD FX-8350
    AMD R9 270X
    16GB RAM
    500GB SSD
  • johnlexingtonjohnlexington Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    sto fails to switch graphics cards into 3d mode, many gfx cards run on half speed
    once again ... this was here before

rendering ground maps on my r9 280x is a pain in the neck, risa is worse
    even if i force my 280x into 3d mode with 1.1 GHz gpu clock/ 1.5 GHz vram clock it wont run risa properly

to compare, my modded 45GB tes5 runs smooth on ultra settings
    s10 ground map performance equals second life #superbad

goodbye sto. i am off playing skyrim
  • nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Same here, especially since anniversary launch. My pc used to handle average/average-high quality both space and ground without problems, instead now i've to set all off/minimum, even with interface scale <1 to handle, with hope, 25fps alone out of combat and 15/20 fps in combat... :confused: and let's not talk about fps drops when i see resonance beam, corrosive plasma proc, neutronic spread, kemocite, very likely drops to 2-3 fps...
    I know my gaming rig is outdated, but i should play sto without problems like the past:
    Intel c2d e6400
    4gb ddr2 800 cl5
    amd hd 7750 1gb gddr5
    1tb 7200 rpm
    Do something devs lol :D
    edit: this happens both space and ground sadly :((
  • linksword01linksword01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Regrettably, Burstdragon tells me that Salami has gone quiet as of late on twitter, and will not respond to the suggestion that PhysX may be the problem.

He posted his frustrations in a post on his blog, which mirrors my own sentiments about STO right now. I'll link it, with his permission:

http://burstblog323.blogspot.com/2015/06/frustration-with-my-current-situation.html
  • angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I just today got a new video card and new memory. I didn't do this for STO but I was hoping there would be at least some improvement for the game. nothing has really changed still Risa is near unplayable at 9-12 FPS.

my Phenom II x4 is OC'd to 4.0 Ghz, i'm running 16 GB of CAS 7 OC'd, and a single 970 GTX. STO should not run below 30 FPS anywhere in game even at max settings.
  • denniskr87denniskr87 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I think that problem is rather CPU(physix) related,than GPU... If you check in task menager, you will see that your CPU is all the time at 99% load,and that is not normal...
  • kajofolfkajofolf Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    denniskr87 wrote: »
    I think that problem is rather CPU(physix) related,than GPU... If you check in task menager, you will see that your CPU is all the time at 99% load,and that is not normal...
    I don't know what CPU you've got but my FX8350 stays at 25% max, usually 20%, while the frame rate on Risa is still about 10fps max. And yes the graphics card is sleeping as well, like it isn't even needed at all.
  • burstdragon323burstdragon323 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    See this link from Zero about the ongoing process.

• majorhalcyonmajorhalcyon Member Posts: 199 Arc User

This hit Redshirt tonight, and I'm not impressed...it seems to have done little to nothing to solve the issue; still getting under half the fps looking at the island as I do looking away from it...

This hit Redshirt tonight, and I'm not impressed...it seems to have done little to nothing to solve the issue; still getting under half the fps looking at the island as I do looking away from it...

I'll be blunt here. FPS on Risa will always be unstable. It suffers from the same issue I have with the Solanae Dyson Sphere-the developers never implemented proper draw distance on maps like this.
  • majorhalcyonmajorhalcyon Member Posts: 199 Arc User

I'll be blunt here. FPS on Risa will always be unstable. It suffers from the same issue I have with the Solanae Dyson Sphere-the developers never implemented proper draw distance on maps like this.

Could possibly be a tertiary cause, but I can also be blunt and say this: this issue was NOT present last year. I had no framerates issues what so ever. Something since then and now, likely their 'optimization' on textures, or the new tents and items in the River Grotto area, have caused this.
    I think I may have found a significant clue regarding the FPS issue. Note that this seems to have worked for me after initial testing (ran a few PvE Queues without issues), and it's possible that my issue may come back.

Take your toons, and go run Defera Hards. After I did this with my fleet, I haven't had a single FPS issue anywhere else. Again, this could be a fluke, but give it a try anyway.

The issues started overnight with the S10 update. Prior Risa and other affected maps ran perfectly. After, stuttering disaster. A fix is definitely possible (it was working before) its just a matter of cryptic making it.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • kittyflofykittyflofy Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User

The issues started overnight with the S10 update. Prior Risa and other affected maps ran perfectly. After, stuttering disaster. A fix is definitely possible (it was working before) its just a matter of cryptic making it.

Too bad they are not going to do anything lol, since anyways Summer event is going to finish soon. So, expect these exact problems to return the next year (if the game is still "alive").

Who cares anymore for redshirt or tribble or watever test server you talking about. Everybody knows that 90% of the bugs appeared in those servers will hit holodeck no matter what. Still there are some out there that call redshirt and tribble "test" servers.. lol, it is so funny xD.
    edited July 2015

Could possibly be a tertiary cause, but I can also be blunt and say this: this issue was NOT present last year. I had no framerates issues what so ever. Something since then and now, likely their 'optimization' on textures, or the new tents and items in the River Grotto area, have caused this.

I seriously doubt the tents are involved. They don't feature on any other affected map and Risa's issues started prior to the changes made for the summer event. Unless the potential existence of tents is the cause, I think you have to look at something else....

....like the vegetation. It seems like ground maps made within a particular window of time have been most severely affected [NR, FED revamp, Risa 2.0]. It could be that whomever built those maps had a run of using a particular asset or kind of asset [ie. the one now broken] which doesn't show up, or at least show up as frequently, in later or earlier maps.
  • martakurillmartakurill Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    I really wish we can have a status update on this one. Pretty much sat out the summer event due to the miserable FPS there...which was quite sad, since it is honestly my favorite of the seasonal events.
  • kittyflofykittyflofy Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    timeras wrote: »
    In the german forums, the community manager Nevandon answered to the thread and promised to report the problem.

Oh well, keeping in mind this is a problem that affects people since years ago and in several ocassions they said they were looking into it... just saying.
    kittyflofy wrote: »
    timeras wrote: »

Oh well, keeping in mind this is a problem that affects people since years ago and in several ocassions they said they were looking into it... just saying.

Framerate issues affecting New Romulus, Risa, and the FED revamp missions started with season 10 (and as an update to cryptic, yah still a problem).

Season 10 started in April.

Last April is not "years ago."