test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cleaning house w/ pants, belts, & footwear

Comments

• ynrocjdynrocjd Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    So, this causes the "outdated" errors some time when we try to load a saved costume?

Anyway, very nice to hear...

Speaking of "improve (not only) the way the game looks", any news of an possibly graphics engine update (like "HD" textures, tesselation, whatever)? Don't get me wrong, I like the graphics in STO a lot, but I think there's much space for improvement.

Just a question, not criticism
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2015
    Any possibility of allowing the current 'Off Duty-Lower-Robe' options to be allowed in the lower section of the KDFs duty uniforms sets (males and females)?
    It's an easy way to make a Duras Sisters style skirt (the Vedik robe should work here) and also be available for males (As Kahless did in the show).
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Do these changes allow barepaws option for cats (duty AND off-duty) and barefeet for the use with robes?
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • daboholicdaboholic Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Woohoo! anything that improves options at the tailor gets my vote :D

Speaking of improving things at the tailor, is there any chance the KDF could be given access to some more plain looking boots, such as the Antares or Sierra ones?

I know they're technically part of the Federation's uniform sets but please throw my poor Orion a bone, the only boots she seems to have access to at the moment look like they could double up as medieval torture devices :P
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    What I would really love is to have the ability to use Dyson Boots with Orion Bare legs. :D
  • crypticjoejingcrypticjoejing Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2015
    tymersto wrote: »

At the time when the TMP outfits were first introduced (and I bought the set), I could use the TMP footwear on Females (in this case, Betazoid (F, Main) and Pakled (F, BOffs)) in the Skirts option.

Don't hate us...but we've wracked our brains and can't figure out what the "TMP" outfits are. What's the full name?
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Don't hate us...but we've wracked our brains and can't figure out what the "TMP" outfits are. What's the full name?

The Motion Picture.
  • empireofsteveempireofsteve Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The Motion Picture.

The ugly single piece things.
    NERF CANNONS - THEY NEED A 50% NERF
    CRUISERS NEED A 206% HULL BUFF
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    You shouldn't see things unlocked that don't seem appropriate for Star Trek species/factions. Like "bare legs w/ loincloth" will only be for Orion females.

Had a thought: What about Aliens? Could they get access to species-specific options like this, given their appearance is fully customizable?
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The ugly single piece things.

Don't hate the yoga pants.
    artan42 wrote: »
    Any possibility of allowing the current 'Off Duty-Lower-Robe' options to be allowed in the lower section of the KDFs duty uniforms sets (males and females)?
    It's an easy way to make a Duras Sisters style skirt (the Vedik robe should work here) and also be available for males (As Kahless did in the show).

Robe bottoms in the uniform category would allow some interesting options, yeah.
    edited June 2015
    The Motion Picture.

OoO we feel dumb. Thanks! will look into it!

Man - you guys are so excited. I hope we address some of the things your asking for.

Again, this particular focus is just on lower uniform. We want to do similar passes on upper and armors - addressing many of the comments you all have had. Those are even bigger undertakings, so not sure when.

Off-duty and Uniform will remain separate for the foreseeable future. As fun and funny as it would be, it generally breaks the Star Trek immersion if all the crews ran around in shorts and bikini tops performing official duties.

Mercenary set was brought up a couple times. It really shouldn't have been flagged for off-duty. But we're afraid as a complete set - having been in for so long its probably best to leave in for now. Though the pants are no longer in tight, loose, and knee high categories.
  • cuatelacuatela Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    After all the years of assets in STO, you may have noticed issues with organization, clipping, assets almost randomly working for one species, but not another, and so on...

There are easily 100+ clipping bugs alone. We've done some work to improve issues by adjusting the geometry of many assets. But a big chunk of the problem is due to improper categorization.

So coming soon you'll start seeing our efforts to continually improve not only the way the game looks, but also how you as players interact and use it.

First is a big pass on the footwear and belts with many revised names and alphabetical sorting, and proper category and faction settings. A similar pass is getting addressed for the uniform lower (pants, skirts, etc)

This *might* cause some existing costumes to need a "refresh" to re-validate assets. For example, you may find that any puffy, tucked pants will no longer also be found in the "Pants - Tight" category. Makes sense, right?

We're trying really hard to make sure you can still make the costumes you want though - again, the categories should just be more logical.

Annnnnddd....we're also trying really hard to address the many requests we've had to actually unlock certain parts to species/factions as appropriate as well as free up more items between uniform and off-duty.

There might be a hiccup or two because this is such a big undertaking with so many linked parts, but we think the end result will be worth it for everyone.

So as it comes in - keep your eyes open and let us know (constructively, please) if you spot major issues. We're excited about this "little" clean-up and we hope it makes you guys happy too.

While you're in there cleaning up stuff, could you make accessories somewhat more consistent across the categories? For example, if I can wear the Enterprise boots in Loose, I should be able to wear them in the other categories too unless it would cause clipping issues. You can probably guess from my sig where I'm going with this idea, but I'd really just love to have more options that make sense.

• machel84machel84 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Bah. Calling yourselves Trek fans, and not knowing the abbreviation TMP.

The Motion Picture. Aka the 1st Star Trek movie. The only Trek movie considered #1. JJ Abrams "Star Trek" is Trek 11.
  • kurumimorishitakurumimorishita Member Posts: 1,410 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    tymersto wrote: »
    I don't know if this would fall under a "bug" or a "request", but...

At the time when the TMP outfits were first introduced (and I bought the set), I could use the TMP footwear on Females (in this case, Betazoid (F, Main) and Pakled (F, BOffs)) in the Skirts option. After a certain amount of time, I found that using the TMP footwear /Skirts wasn't allowed. Is this something that can be looked at?

Thank you for the time...

YES.. this so much.. for years I asked for this in several threads and also created one thread just about this "problem", too (LINK). I would really appreciate it if this finally could be allowed again. And while we are at it.. I'd also love the Romulan haircuts being available for Vulcans and/or Aliens.
    Post edited by kurumimorishita on
    "We might get pretty singed at that range, but not as singed as they're going to get. Engage."
    - Captain Six of Nine aka Ashley "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell
    q4F10XV.jpg
    ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED
    edited June 2015
    machel84 wrote: »
    Bah. Calling yourselves Trek fans, and not knowing the abbreviation TMP.

The Motion Picture. Aka the 1st Star Trek movie. The only Trek movie considered #1. JJ Abrams "Star Trek" is Trek 11.

Heh, now you'll really hate me. ...I haven't watched any Star Trek movies except JJ's 1st. Oh wait! Think I saw the one with a whale in High School.

Really I'm mostly a TNG fan. Though DS9 has some cool stuff to it.
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Off-duty and Uniform will remain separate for the foreseeable future. As fun and funny as it would be, it generally breaks the Star Trek immersion if all the crews ran around in shorts and bikini tops performing official duties.

I'm sorry to say, but not more than people flying Undine or Tholian ships. That's much worse than couple of "odd" outfits.

Many people would love to see the restrictions gone, completelly, no off-duty, armor, rep stuff, just mix n' match - and it can be done, without bigger problems, seen it first-handed. I may understand why bikini are completelly separate... but the whole off-duty/uniform... it's inconsistent, limiting and honestly.. frustrating. Especially when we see NPC's flaunting blatantly what we can't reproduce. I'm of a firm opinion that tailor should be free-hand, creativity promoting tool for people. For me, for example, it's a way to unwind, when I don't feel like grinding for anything. NPC's, the set pieces, being more unique than us, the players, ergo, central pieces...

I'm not wanting to be negative, but this has been voiced so many times, and this would even bring nice influx of income from players for the company - as having more costume slots, with free-hand tailor, would have even more value, and us, the customers, wanting to support you, folks, if you just listened in this instance. Costumes are aesthetic, they bare no gameplay value, and yet, they're being restricted in a way, that again, I find saddening and frustrating, while much worse, immersion breaking stuff happens in the game & is being accepted as okay'ish.
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Motion Picture Uniform..

Tmp- The Motion Picture.

It s the federation uniforms that look like some sort of hospital jump suit.
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
    edited June 2015
    Heh, now you'll really hate me. ...I haven't watched any Star Trek movies except JJ's 1st. Oh wait! Think I saw the one with a whale in High School.

Do yourself a favor and watch The Wrath of Khan and Undiscovered Country sometime, at least :)

The others really aren't worth your time, though I have a soft spot for Search For Spock and think it gets panned for no good reason. I certainly prefer it to the one with the whales.

To steer things from this tangent, I've always been fine with the Uniform and Off Duty restrictions. I just wanted to see more options added to Off Duty, and it sounds like you're making that happen, so I'm happy.
    edited June 2015
    ...I may understand why bikini are completelly separate... but the whole off-duty/uniform... it's inconsistent, limiting and honestly.. frustrating. ...

You just mentioned one of the biggest issues, that should be addressed. There obviously have been many inconsistencies and seemingly arbitrary restrictions with costume pieces. This pass is a step to addressing that.

"Simply" making off-duty and uniform the same isn't simple at all. In fact it would be likely to unleash a whole new mountain of bugs. And yes, we know there have been many requests to merge the two, but there are also many hardcore, devoted fans that absolutely do not want to see some items released for uniform use.

It's a tricky balance but we are listening and making improvements.
  • kazabokkazabok Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    How about allowing all Uniforms items in the Off-Duty section. Then just limiting things like holiday shirts and formal wear to the Off-Duty section?
  • tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Hate? No. Several other posters have already corrected you on that.
    I just would like to use those parts as I intended...

Thank you for the time...
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
    edited June 2015
    I'm sorry to say, but not more than people flying Undine or Tholian ships. That's much worse than couple of "odd" outfits.

I think a more fitting example would be someone wearing a Jem'hadar uniform while flying an Attack Ship. Which you can do, since it's in the uniform category! And so are all of the other "enemy" uniforms. That's not immersion breaking at all for me, that's roleplay. I love that the game provides these options, it's one of its strong points.

I mean, I wouldn't be opposed to the Uniform and Off Duty categories merging, but I think the distinction is fine. Off Duty has just been suffering from a lack of options, which it'll be getting now :)
    kazabok wrote: »
    How about allowing all Uniforms items in the Off-Duty section. Then just limiting things like holiday shirts and formal wear to the Off-Duty section?

There are certainly a lot of pieces that could be moved over, since they're not clearly uniform pieces. I requested the Odyssey shoes a few days ago, since they're just simple shoes and we don't have any in Off Duty. Lots of the lower options are that way, I really can't wait to see what new stuff we have available.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,240 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015
    You just mentioned one of the biggest issues, that should be addressed. There obviously have been many inconsistencies and seemingly arbitrary restrictions with costume pieces. This pass is a step to addressing that.

"Simply" making off-duty and uniform the same isn't simple at all. In fact it would be likely to unleash a whole new mountain of bugs. And yes, we know there have been many requests to merge the two, but there are also many hardcore, devoted fans that absolutely do not want to see some items released for uniform use.

Maybe just give BOFFs access to the Off Duty category rather than merging them then. There are some excellent pieces in there that could be used to create alien uniforms. Swimsuits and Club Wear have their own categories, so there's no need to worry about anyone running around Nimbus with the Swedish Bikini Team. :D
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • machel84machel84 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited June 2015

While you're busy addressing fixes and changes to the costumes, might one inquire of the possibility of fixing broken KDF Costume Slots? Been broken for months, if not years. Costume Slots which have been purchased extra from C-Store, have become unusable.
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2015

A TNG fan and you've not even watched the TNG era movies... Why are you working here? You're wasting my time, move along home. :P

This is a joke.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    edited June 2015

IF you watch any TOS film, watch "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan". And skip "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier" COMPLETELY <-- And I say that as a very HUGE TOS fan.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    edited June 2015
    Now now, ST5 does have one scene really worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpxRS8GORmk

(It's even better if you get as drunk as them first.)
  • oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    machel84 wrote: »
    While you're busy addressing fixes and changes to the costumes, might one inquire of the possibility of fixing broken KDF Costume Slots? Been broken for months, if not years. Costume Slots which have been purchased extra from C-Store, have become unusable.

Dude, you may have missed it, but it got fixed... If your still showing bad costume slots, its just a hold over.. You CAN purchase additional costume slots and the dummy slots still showing will convert!

I know, I did it 2 days ago, and the last two "bugged" slots I had showing went poof and are real costume slots now...

Cryptic is NOT going to give you free slots to make up for it..That was said well over a year and a half ago.

SO go buy some slots and fix the anomaly... I promise you, its fixed, you just gotta take care of the last niggling little bit your self.
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • drreverenddrreverend Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I think a more fitting example would be someone wearing a Jem'hadar uniform while flying an Attack Ship. Which you can do, since it's in the uniform category! And so are all of the other "enemy" uniforms. That's not immersion breaking at all for me, that's roleplay. I love that the game provides these options, it's one of its strong points.

I mean, I wouldn't be opposed to the Uniform and Off Duty categories merging, but I think the distinction is fine. Off Duty has just been suffering from a lack of options, which it'll be getting now :)

There are certainly a lot of pieces that could be moved over, since they're not clearly uniform pieces. I requested the Odyssey shoes a few days ago, since they're just simple shoes and we don't have any in Off Duty. Lots of the lower options are that way, I really can't wait to see what new stuff we have available.

For a lot of roleplayers, the frustration comes from the inability to access the parts. Roleplayers, fashionistas that they tend to be, like to bash together outfits from all kinds of things and use the costume pieces in ways they weren't intended. A medical uniform becomes a T-shirt, etc. So for us, the restriction is going "But those pants would look awesome with that shirt!"

Like on my main's bridge, I've kitbashed together a uniform for my T4 Diplomacy's Gorn out of the Dyson jacket, Jem'hadar pants, Intel gloves, Vaadwaur belt, and High Boots 2, that all come together to look kind of like an actual Starfleet-esque uniform, since in-character I RP the guy as a Starfleet officer (he's the ship's chief Yeoman :D).