test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The ESD PvP Experiment

laferrari1laferrari1 Member Posts: 434 Arc User
edited June 2015 in PvP Gameplay
Here's something I figured out. I was getting bored on ESD, and started asking for a 1v1 Space PvP in Zone chat. Surprisingly, people showed up. Not gonna reveal the names, more or less it was a funny experience. (My ship).

Here's the breakdown:
- a FAW/APB/Plasma Expl. sort-of-partigen Scryer which was randomly pressing buttons to try killing me. Ended 15-0 with the guy raging silently at the end of it.
- a tac Palisade that, tried to drain me? Or attack me with partigens? Maybe both. Still a predictable one who blamed his boffs for messing up...
- A Mobius which wasn't exactly aware that on FBP you should stop firing: no, kept on going until he eventually died. No, the damage output was low enough that it took him a good 10 seconds to explode.
- A 1v3. This was an interesting one. I had three guys PMing me at once, so I did like that. Result. It was a series of how my shields were so strong, or how every attack they did found a counter, or "this guy, this is what I'm aiming to be lol". What surprised me though is that, despite their ships (no T5 free garbage) they had little knowledge of how things work in game, like "I didn't know that Repulsors could deal damage", or "what was the Resonance Beam".

Now, despite how funny it could have been to have a run, just highlights that most players are not even taught a little bit during game progression of what X and Y do. If you ask someone that doesn't know PvP to do a 1v1, it'll just try to treat your ship like if it was an NPC. The above Scryer was like that, overbuffing trying to land as many plasma explosions as it could before exploding, while getting angry because, for once, he was losing. From 100% to 15% hull in a single FBP1 cycle. Stop firing? No it's rocket science, must kill you with a broken proc.
Yeah except the above one, all the rest had a good attitude, willing to improve and trading NPCs for players. Unfortunately, we have yet to see something meant for PvP in here...

Why does Cryptic prefer to roll out more and more and even more powerful stuff when what we have is strong enough to give all sorts of trouble if used right? Why not teaching how to mix and match something to newcomers instead of... well do I really need to say it?...
I need to get to him. I can't just leave him out there alone. - Sometimes you've got to makes sacrifices, Lara. You can't save everyone. - I know about sacrifices. - No, you know about loss. Sacrifice is a choice you make. Loss is a choice made for you. - I can't choose to let him die, Roth.
Post edited by laferrari1 on

Comments

• Options
    odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I wanna play.

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I wanna play.

I want as well.

Play =/= simply logging in
    I need to get to him. I can't just leave him out there alone. - Sometimes you've got to makes sacrifices, Lara. You can't save everyone. - I know about sacrifices. - No, you know about loss. Sacrifice is a choice you make. Loss is a choice made for you. - I can't choose to let him die, Roth.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2015
    laferrari1 wrote: »
    - a tac Palisade that, tried to drain me? Or attack me with partigens? Maybe both. Still a predictable one who blamed his boffs for messing up...

Jack of all trades, master of none. Poor choice.
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'm tempted to do that myself with my Scryer, though I'm kind of scared of what I might do to people :D, moreso of what they might end up doing to themselves... :eek:
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    adamkafei wrote: »
    I'm tempted to do that myself with my Scryer, though I'm kind of scared of what I might do to people :D, moreso of what they might end up doing to themselves... :eek:

Why Scryer? The Intrepid has more style than that weird donut-looking pizza-cutter lol.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    The few times I've managed to get people to bite on the 1vs1 PvP, they fall prey to the uber drain of my ship. It will get even worse once I get my hands on the Risa ship's trait.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »
    The few times I've managed to get people to bite on the 1vs1 PvP, they fall prey to the uber drain of my ship. It will get even worse once I get my hands on the Risa ship's trait.

I bet...Ive learned if you wanna drain..dont do it half way...Go all drain or not at all. :P

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    See, this just goes to show more people are interested in PvP than the ones who currently pvp. Duh, I know, but people seem to think there's not enough of a demand for PvP. Today I even saw a PvP match made in the DPS 10K channel for fun.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Stumbled upon this:
    [2:44] [Zone] Pepus@x: i suspected that much went you wanted 3 people for the match
    [2:45] [Zone] Pepus@x: you dont have real skill. get what you know that is unbalanced and use it
    [2:46] [Zone] Pepus@x: without the tractors and the resonance beam you would be toasted :)
    [2:46] [Zone] Pepus@x: ok smartass. im out. you happy? you feel right about yourself today? :) your ego is good? :)
    [2:47] [Zone] Pepus@x: i know that.. i was a pvp trainer before delta rising. i refuse to go on like this until pvp is balanced. as i said. you all people do the same. and think that you are pros :)
    [2:48] [Zone] Pepus@x: i was. but now people like you think that they know better. im here since day one. in the old days, you wouldnt last a second. but now pvp is not fair and balanced

TBR cannot be countered. FBP cannot be countered. Resonance cannot be countered. EWP cannot be countered.
    Nothing can be countered. lol.

The above came from a cheese Scryer which had a hard time with counters, with a touch of hypocrisy.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Stumbled upon this:

TBR cannot be countered. FBP cannot be countered. Resonance cannot be countered. EWP cannot be countered.

The above came from a cheese Scryer which had a hard time with counters, with a touch of hypocrisy.

LOL wow...All of those have counters if ya learn them...oh well...See ya in game..BTW my @ handle is that same as my S/N on here.

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Youre using fbp against random esd people with no clue about what pvp entails.
    That is just plain mean !
    * you're supposed to save that for hot shot Vapers !*
    :)

Are you also a tac captain.. ?

If so, that is not only mean, but evul !
    LoL

PS: I still prefer the sci Vesta for fbp build, if only for the kinetic reflect console it can equip, and fermion field console.
    Scryer's no slouch either, but TBR (or even fbp)with OSS is just about the cheapest thing you can do to someone in pvp.

Especially for tacs, buffing it up with alpha and tac fleet.

Just sayin.
    I feel bad for the suckers you lured into battle.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Youre using fbp against random esd people with no clue about what pvp entails.
    That is just plain mean !
    * you're supposed to save that for hot shot Vapers !*
    :)

Are you also a tac captain.. ?

If so, that is not only mean, but evul !
    LoL

PS: I still prefer the sci Vesta for fbp build, if only for the kinetic reflect console it can equip, and fermion field console.
    Scryer's no slouch either, but TBR (or even fbp)with OSS is just about the cheapest thing you can do to someone in pvp.

Especially for tacs, buffing it up with alpha and tac fleet.

Just sayin.
    I feel bad for the suckers you lured into battle.

No I was using my sci character. Btw, FBP is not evul against ESD players... 2 FBP are evul! :D
    I do have a Vesta as well with the set, still an epic ship in its own right, I still fly it from time to time.

I was surprised though to receive a question about "how do you recognise that FBP is on except for the buff icon?" by someone I never seen before. He told me he knew me by forums, OPVP and DPS channels (lol) as I was "a good pvper".
    To quote Bob for saying that, "they have low standards then :P"
    Oh and whoever you are... hiiiiiiii!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Ran a 1vs1, and remembered quickly why I almost don't play. Yet again, science is dead.
  • Options
    majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Stumbled upon this:

TBR can't be countered? Funny...I guess I should take Photonic Shockwave 1 off of my wells then. All those people that cuss me out for using inverted TBR3 + PS1...they must be imagining the interrupt.

And FBP? What's that...I only use torpedoes and mines. Resonance? Arg, now that one is annoying...got to get a Jam Sensors 1 off fast or that really gives me a headache in real life. Eject Warp Plasma was a problem for them too? huh, I guess they have never heard of avoiding the cloud...or...I don't know...using Hazard Emitters?
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    No I was using my sci character. Btw, FBP is not evul against ESD players... 2 FBP are evul! :D
    I do have a Vesta as well with the set, still an epic ship in its own right, I still fly it from time to time.

I was surprised though to receive a question about "how do you recognise that FBP is on except for the buff icon?" by someone I never seen before. He told me he knew me by forums, OPVP and DPS channels (lol) as I was "a good pvper".
    To quote Bob for saying that, "they have low standards then :P"
    Oh and whoever you are... hiiiiiiii!

:) Well, maybe you are that good ? But, unfortunately, you'll never know if you keep beating up on poor esd amateurs :D

Im so joking around btw. No offense intended. I'm sure you're very capable.

*nods approvingly @ Vesta comment*
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    blahhdreyblahhdrey Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Ran a 1vs1, and remembered quickly why I almost don't play. Yet again, science is dead.

Real science builds, absolutely. You can still have plenty of 'success' FBP'ing and TBR'ing around laggy maps like a clown.
    dEpN3nB.png?1
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Why Scryer? The Intrepid has more style than that weird donut-looking pizza-cutter lol.

I prefer the boff layout, as for style, the Intrepid is certainly more starfleet than the Scryer but it's grown on me since I got it, if it weren't for OSS I'd probably do something similar with the mirror Nova. If there were a T6 Vesta that would likely be better still for the job although given what Kax does with the T5 one, I dread to think...

As far as science being dead, it depends where you use the older skills, I know my old disruption Nova build would still be a deciding factor in a good team but with damage the way it is and immunities becoming more and more widespread shield bypass and builds that redirect damage and other effects are becoming more prevalent in the mainstream.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    adamkafei wrote: »
    I prefer the boff layout, as for style, the Intrepid is certainly more starfleet than the Scryer but it's grown on me since I got it, if it weren't for OSS I'd probably do something similar with the mirror Nova. If there were a T6 Vesta that would likely be better still for the job although given what Kax does with the T5 one, I dread to think...

As far as science being dead, it depends where you use the older skills, I know my old disruption Nova build would still be a deciding factor in a good team but with damage the way it is and immunities becoming more and more widespread shield bypass and builds that redirect damage and other effects are becoming more prevalent in the mainstream.

I love the Intrepid but I PvP with my Scryer. Having access to the higher intel powers is awesome and losing 1 Lt universal power to gain a LtC engineering power is really nice. Also Viral Impulse Burst 3 is great for breaking up fedballs or keeping the healer away :) ( I wish more intel powers were like that rather than the craziness that most of the other ones are)

EDIT: Speaking of VIB, it's one of the reasons I would love an intel BoP. locking your target's throttle and steering would be fun with flanking :)
  • Options
    bobs1111bobs1111 Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    1v1 was always a poor example of PvP in STO.

1v1ing random PvE people... did you expect something else ?

Its not like this is a STO thing... go into any MMO and challenge a PvE crowd to PvP and they will get their butts handed to them.

Why would anyone who didn't really care about PvP in STO worry about things like FBP ?

The issue for PvP isn't that PvE players are not taught what does what. Its that there is no reason to bother learning it. The NPCs have 1-3 weapon points, and 1-3 skills they use, and no AI at all just random timed mechanics. With that in mind, if I could give a toss about PvP why would I bother learning counters to scrambles or FBPs or uber drains or anything else the NPCs will never do to you.

Cryptic does a terrible job with NPCs, and to be honest no one really wants them to make realistic NPCs. No one including most of the people that consider themselves to be PvPers mainly want NPCs that use High levels of Aux powered FBPs or IsoKinetic Cannons or 100+ aux Scrambles ect ect. They want the game to not be super annoying. There isn't anything wrong with that.

Which only goes to prove what Cryptic hasn't wanted to admit for a long time. PvP can not exist together. The only hope for this games PvP, is for Cryptic to split it off into a mini game. Removing it from the games PvE mechanics completely.
  • Options
    vonednavonedna Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    ESD pvp experiment? I did that on esd and the result was 48 hours ban.
  • Options
    ankokunekoankokuneko Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    Stumbled upon this:
    use torpedoes and mines. Resonance? Arg, now that one is annoying...got to get a Jam Sensors 1 off fast or that really gives me a headache in real life. Eject Warp Plasma was a problem for them too? huh, I guess they have never heard of avoiding the cloud...or...I don't know...using Hazard Emitters?

I think you can just fly behind them to stop their resonance lol. A fast ship easily counters pgen builds since their tbr's are range 5, fbp's dont do anything when you are not shooting them and and resonance is channeling and has to stay on arc
    jFriX.png
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Why not run a similar "experiment" by going into a pet store and kicking puppies?

-oops I thought this was posted in general forum. I apologize for responding here.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    riccardo171riccardo171 Member Posts: 1,802 Arc User
    The only puppets I've been kicking lately are deers, rabbits, wolves, seagulls and potentially boars while hunting in TR. lol.