Install Arc

Klingon character revamp in the works

Comments

• bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Not just green:

white that isn't "light brown leather" but is actually BRIGHT white
    Red that isn't "nearly black" but rich, ruby red
    Blue that isn't "dull grey that's kinda sorta bluish" but actually bright blue
    And yellow that isn't "urine mixed with TRIBBLE brown" but actually canary yellow

Seriously, the Klingon color palette is heinous

Oh i totally agree, but "one small step at a time" so to speak ... The Klingon colour palette is probably THE most depressing bunch of colours I've ever seen.

I guess Cryptic are going for "traditional" Klingon colour schemes (like those regularly shown in the various TV shows) but even there, they did have some other colours, and they weren't all so reminiscent of a Post Apocalyptic Slaughter House.
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    That palette's not just for Klingons; it shows up in Fed uniforms too, and a lot of other places. Bright colors are apparently restricted to off-duty attire - what makes it worse for KDF side is that they don't really have an off-duty option.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Not just green:

white that isn't "light brown leather" but is actually BRIGHT white
    Red that isn't "nearly black" but rich, ruby red
    Blue that isn't "dull grey that's kinda sorta bluish" but actually bright blue
    And yellow that isn't "urine mixed with TRIBBLE brown" but actually canary yellow

Seriously, the Klingon color palette is heinous

Ditto this. The KDF color scheme may have worked way back when you ONLY considered their application to a PVP character exclusively aping the ST TV shows (black..brown..the other brown...and so on) because not enough content was available to them to do anything else. But given that they are now a faction (sort of) with a considerable amount of creative reach (see. the prospect of a KDF crew decked out with Iconian rep armor) their spartan color scheme needs, needs, neeeeeds to be updated.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • jake477jake477 Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Now they look like ancient barbarian space warriors. Plus they LOOK like now they will kill you instead of hairless wookies, by the way please revamp the Borg, less zombie, more techy

NICE!

Might have to get a Klingon Federation officer for my Romulan vessel.

Every Romulan needs a Ruthless Enforcer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "This planet smells, it must be the Klingons"
  • jake477jake477 Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    With that statement keep this in mind... The Undiscovered Country the Klingons we saw on Gorkon's ship were assigned to the Klingon "Air Force 1" an ELITE SPECIAL DUTY assignment and as such the Uniforms reflected that special status right into the trial scene. The Guards that protected the chancelors daughter at Kitamer were again not standard KDF but the Klingon version of the Secret Service. The crew and advisors were not your rank and file members of the Klingon armed forces. On Gorkons ship the crew was a "Black Ops" crew and as such the uniforms reflect they are not standard KDF. On Rura Pente the guards were not quite the shining examples of the Empire I can speculate the assignments were more a punishment detail and the uniforms reflect they are prison guards not KDF military. No where in Undiscovered country do we see any standard KDF members. The Guards with the "spears" in the Trial I will speculate they were civilian and the Klingon version of either police or court security. Worf was a LAWYER not military and odds are hand picked to be as incompetent as possible so Kirk and McCoy were found guilty no matter what. I will go as far as this I bet he was the absolute bottom of the barrel as far as Klingon Lawyers could be.
    :)

Klingon Air Force 1, that's a laugh I keep on thinking of that Harrison Ford movie, and seeing Klingons ROFL.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "This planet smells, it must be the Klingons"
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    jake477 wrote: »
    Klingon Air Force 1, that's a laugh I keep on thinking of that Harrison Ford movie, and seeing Klingons ROFL.

I'd prefer to have my FO yell out "Mutha f*****g Targ's on my mutha f*****g Bird of Prey!"
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
    edited May 2015
    bendalek wrote: »
    I'd prefer to have my FO yell out "Mutha f*****g Targ's on my mutha f*****g Bird of Prey!"

I'm more of the "I just want to tell you both good luck. We're all counting on you" style of command. :P
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Scaling at the waist area would be nice for those Klingons and Orions who aren't on larger side (such as former Klingon Chancellor Goworn). The bulge is obvious when looking from the front or back.
  • borthaniusborthanius Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Wow, only took 5.5 years to address this. I just hope I don't log in one day & see that my skinny, supermodel Orions & Aliens have gotten huge & fat. I wonder if we'll be able to make TOS Klingons & if TOS KDF female uniforms will show up as well? Be nice if a fix for unusable KDF uniform slots went along with this.
  • phalanx01phalanx01 Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Without sounding ungrateful, I do appreciate the new announced changes and tweaks and even highly appreciate the changes that sneaked in with some of the previous patches. But what gets me is that developers have to work on this in their spare time... shouldn't this be a main focus point now?

Also, if possible please unrestrict the entire colour palette for the KDF outfits, right now the old colors just don't cut it anymore for the majority of the stuff. Romulans have the entire palette unlocked on pretty much all of their costume bits.

And lastly, if possible remove restrictions from the tailor allowing us to mix and match more profoundly like off-duty items with common uniform items. I simply don't see the point why you'd want to gate some of the costume options away from the others.

Lastly, thank you for your effort I just wish you guys didn't have to work on this in your spare time.
    edited May 2015
    patrickngo wrote: »

I'm thinking that fixing the tailor and the missing slots and such that have been broken for the llast few YEARS might be a better use of time before expanding options on a system that's been borked up for the last two years.

Just sayin'-before fixing the color swatches, maybe fix the mechanics those colors go into? The blog suggests they're doing the mechanical work. Let them get the mechanics ironed out before you ask for more options, or it'll be like bolting a supercharger on an engine with a blown head-gasket...

Also just sayin' - its a pants-wettingly vast assumption to make that de-restricting KDF color choices will have any affect on resolving a long-standing UI glitch. How about we just make fun suggestions to the devs and let them worry about scheduling and implementation? I know axes are fun to grind, but its also not useful to let them be the end all of discussion.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I agree completely... Grinding axes is the middle step. Hitting people with axes is the "end all" of conversation.

~.^
  • lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I've got my fingers crossed for a mekleth or dk'tagh. Perhaps a new batleth skin too?

Nah, it has to be a mekleth!
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    could you unlock the tailor; i mean between uniform and outfit. i have the intel uniform, the mercenary uniform; i would like to dress my toons like the klinks in the new FE. ty
  • oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Well, I didn't spot anything that snuck in this patch... I was kinda hoping for some new KDF melee weps (especially seeing the NPC's get to play with 'em in the new FE) The decorative dk'tang belt knife didn't make it in either.

It's gonna be a real slow ongoing thing aint it?

*shrugs*
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
    edited May 2015
    Question: how special does cryptic view the "crazy old klingon" kahless hairstyle + gotee?

Definitely wouldn't be a bad thing to unlock, assuming it's not being held in reserve to prevent, say, me from launching a clone army. :P
  • longshadowace1longshadowace1 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Sing long.

qeylIS nuqneH!

qeylIS rI' SuvwI'! qeylIS rI' ta'!

vegh 'Iw qem ghaH vegh Legend mists

wo' Dev batlh ben law' batlhmey 'ej

vo' taD wastes boreth paw

vo' taj kirom Dumerbe' ghaH

qeylIS, SabtaHbogh qo' traveler

qeylIS, wa' Hero wa'DIch!

qeylIS nuqneH!

qaStaHvIS veqlargh moQ spilled 'Iw

ben law' batlhmey 'ej batlh mIw che'angchugh

'etlh qeylIS ghopDu'Daj

roQ Vas vIq qaDta'bogh qeylIS

Qam 'ej Darkness veqlargh tugh SIp vImojnIS against ghaH

'ach qeylIS ratlh, unshake.

mighty SuS, hallow 'etlh

qeylIS qa' mup

jabqangbogh qab 'ej ratlh defiant

'ej DaH ghaHvaD QamchoH batlh wo'.

qeylIS nuqneH!

'ach pIghna' SoH veqlargh Qom SuS

not 'e' DalIjchugh lo'taHvIS 'ach.
  • anothervisitoranothervisitor Member Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Klingons have been neglected all these years and the little stuff they do get is given to us by devs in their spare time. Who's calling the shots on this? When are the big shots at the top of the ladder going to give us a full-bred Klingon faction? Oh but the metrics say most play Fed? What do you expect if the KDF hardly gets any new content.

Cheers to those devs who do give us what they can.
    Tyr shall give me strength!
    For the glory of Tempus!
    I am the hands of Shar!
    Flames of Kossuth, protect me!
    Oghma, grant me knowledge!
    Lolth commands, and I obey!
  • crypticjoejingcrypticjoejing Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2015
    Just because I know people are anxious for updates on this - still just male footwear so far has been released, but all the other stuff mentioned in the original post is in the works.
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Just because I know people are anxious for updates on this - still just male footwear so far has been released, but all the other stuff mentioned in the original post is in the works.
    baby steps are steps nevertheless.
  • phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Thanks for the update, can't wait!
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Appreciate the update, CrypticJJ!

I can't wait to get my sheathed D’k Tahg. :D

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited June 2015

(Kui the orion avatar pants anxiously while the starfleet security team behind try to not pass out from pheromonal shock.)

*sniffles*

*chin quivers*

I believe you... Hurry!
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    there are some interesting pieces of costumes in this thread: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1023241

could we have these 2 pieces available for the letheans?

hood
    lethean coat
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,316 Arc User
    edited June 2015

How dare you deny the Klingons their cold feet!!
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Curious, but is it just things mentioned on the initial post that is in progress, or are other things (female Nausicaan) being worked on too?

You needn't be too specific if you don't want, but a simple "we're working on other things too" or "we're only working on what's been mentioned at the moment" would be nice. :)
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I have heard over the years requests for Female Gorn.

Now, personally, I don't think reptilian beings should have visual differentiation between the sexes, other than perhaps size. It may be that gorn females are smaller and quicker, or it may be that they are the larger and bulkier ones. Females may be more or less prominently marked with colors and patterns on their hides. However, they should certainly not have mammalian features like TRIBBLE. (This bugs me with Saurians and Voth too. What's a reptile doing with TRIBBLE?)

However, is this an opportunity to finally give us Gorn Girls?
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    brian334 wrote: »
    Now, personally, I don't think reptilian beings should have visual differentiation between the sexes, other than perhaps size. It may be that gorn females are smaller and quicker, or it may be that they are the larger and bulkier ones. Females may be more or less prominently marked with colors and patterns on their hides. However, they should certainly not have mammalian features like TRIBBLE. (This bugs me with Saurians and Voth too. What's a reptile doing with TRIBBLE?)
    It's generalization.

Think about the Caitian (and Ferasan); they're cats (traditionally they should have what, six or eight nipples, thus six or eight TRIBBLE?) - that wouldn't exactly look cool would it? Physiologically, there's no define reason why any species (other than Human) would have one pair of TRIBBLE, though obviously the species portrayed in the various shows have been done so by women with just the one set.

I would concur with you though; Saurian females by definition shouldn't have them, but then it's to distinguish between the two. Saurian are more humanoid than Gorn (stature, posture etc) so I guess they can just about get away with it. Not too sure a true Female Gorn could though.

Just hope Cryptic don't go overboard and start introducing female Tholian, and female Breen. :o
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222