test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Warp Shadows breaks threat vs target

jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
edited June 2015 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
Basically, using Warp Shadows (either the Starship Trait or the singularity power) works completely fine. Any nearby targets (when using the singularity power) or anyone shooting you (when using the trait) will attack the warp shadow. However, if the target remains alive after the warp shadow disappears naturally (especially prevalent in BDE or vs a final-boss type NPC, such as Tactical Cubes, Gateways, Vessel # of #, Borg Queen, Voth Citadel Dreadnought, etc), threat vs the target is basically broken.

What I mean by this, specifically, is that most of the 'normal' rules for threat no longer appear to be in force. Threat no longer goes to the person who at that point has consistently pulled aggro off of his team in that queue and others. It's instead, to the best of my ability to tell, based on whoever has the most raw damage to that target.

In addition to that, the person being targeted by that NPC will jump around in some cases, switching in some cases five times in 10 seconds. This is unlike most other NPC's, who will pick one target, and occasionally, but rarely, switch targets. I suspect that there is currently a threshold required - 1.2x or something - of increased total threat vs the target to pull aggro off of someone else. This mechanic, if it exists, is also no longer applying to the target once it's taunted.

Third, and the most concrete proof I can provide, the target is no longer affected by taunts. Using Warp Shadows will still create the shadows, which will get targeted while you're stealthed (assuming it can't see you), but they will not hold aggro on that specific target any more. I have tested this out using both the singularity power and the starship trait, using one then the other, or using one twice, no matter how I do it, the taunt fails to work.

I have replicated this at a 100% success rate, with both my own and other people's Warp Shadows, in PvE queues, solo patrols, and everywhere they're used.
SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Yeah it's really irritating in some pug matches when you're trying to hold aggro and the little guy in the t'varo pops warp shadows for some reason. I hope it's an easy fix.

Actually, I would love a season 11 where they release an aggro/tanking specialization (maybe call it operations? idk) and do a revamp on the whole aggro mechanic.
  • jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    rmy1081 wrote: »
    Yeah it's really irritating in some pug matches when you're trying to hold aggro and the little guy in the t'varo pops warp shadows for some reason. I hope it's an easy fix.

Actually, I would love a season 11 where they release an aggro/tanking specialization (maybe call it operations? idk) and do a revamp on the whole aggro mechanic.

Good idea. Along this line, I've tested and no, Lone Wolf (pilot fleet) doesn't come close to doing this.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

edited April 2015
    You know, if we're going to introduce more taunts into the game, you should make sure that they'll have a chance to work - which they won't if someone's already hit the target with the (still bugged) warp shadows. Just a thought.

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

• borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2015
    Thanks for the info regarding the Iconian Tier 5 Rep clickie. Comparing that against Warp Shadow allowed me to track down where the behavior issue appears to be.

I've made a change that should fix the issues you've reported. It still needs to go thru QA before we push it live, to verify that it addresses the issue(s).
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    oh man thanks borticus!!!!
    edited May 2015
    Thanks for the info regarding the Iconian Tier 5 Rep clickie. Comparing that against Warp Shadow allowed me to track down where the behavior issue appears to be.

I've made a change that should fix the issues you've reported. It still needs to go thru QA before we push it live, to verify that it addresses the issue(s).

Fantastic. I'm really glad to hear that. Like, this seriously made my weekend. Did you apply this to both versions of warp shadows (the singularity power and the starship trait), or just one? Because I've been experiencing this bug with both.

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

• borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2015
    Did you apply this to both versions of warp shadows (the singularity power and the starship trait), or just one? Because I've been experiencing this bug with both.

It will apply to both.

(Disclaimer: If it works... You know how AI stuff can be, sometimes...)
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
    edited May 2015
    It will apply to both.

Fantastic, I'm so glad to hear this. Looking forward to testing it out on tribble and working with it on live!

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

edited June 2015
    It will apply to both.

This about sums it up. It works just enough now to where I can clearly tell it was changed (I had a 100% reproduction rate of failure on it earlier), but nowhere near 100% of the time. I'll bump this thread again when I have a good theory on what makes it work or not.

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

• darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Feign Disintegration also resets Threat to 0, I wonder if it's plagued by the same issues.
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    It will apply to both.

Yeah, like an advanced tac cube keeping me focused, for not even attacking it, allowing my entire PUG group to pound its brains in, with no retaliation to anyone but me.

I mean, I was literally able to stay just outside the 10km range [roughly 11km] and, have it follow me around everywhere, while it just got its butt handed to it by the other 4 players!!!

Guess the Borg, aren't as bright as they think they are, huh?

:rolleyes:
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!