test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Risa Event: What is "Down" for Floaters?

bartlett24bartlett24 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
I use a standard keyboard to play the game and I cannot figure out how to make the floater I have go down. Spacebar is Up and I seem to have figured out the rest of the controls, though my foward thrust is pretty slow. Does anyone know what keyboard key is used for Down?
Post edited by bartlett24 on

Comments

• dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Deactivating the floater is the speedy way down.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • bartlett24bartlett24 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Yes, cutting off the floater accomplishes that. But I mean flying around, navigating the race course etc. You need to go down for those and cutting the engine off wont help
  • orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2015
    None of the above.

Just point your reticle down and push forward, mouse works here.
  • amezukiamezuki Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Hint: turn on auto-run and enable shooter mode. This makes you pretty much go wherever you point your mouse with minimal keyboard input.
    Fleet Admiral L'Yern - Screenshot and doffing addict
    Eclipse Class Intel Cruiser U.S.S. Dioscuria NX-91121-A - Interactive Crew Roster
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Push both mouse buttons at the same time and point yourself down.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Really, is it that hard to figure out?

:rolleyes:
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    bartlett24 wrote: »
    I use a standard keyboard to play the game and I cannot figure out how to make the floater I have go down. Spacebar is Up and I seem to have figured out the rest of the controls, though my foward thrust is pretty slow. Does anyone know what keyboard key is used for Down?

Hit "B" and try using your mouse to to steer.
    Joined STO in September 2010.
  • drazursouthclawdrazursouthclaw Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Really, is it that hard to figure out?

:rolleyes:

No, it isn't.

It's just unbelievable that someone would only code half a jet pack - hence the OPs confusion.

You know, just like non 360-degree space flight.

Oh, I see why you rolled your eyes now.

(assuming it was directed at Cryptic, and not some random player that you don't know but somehow still feel superior to.)
  • amezukiamezuki Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    daveyny wrote: »
    Be aware that this is not a great solution for people with RSIs. Any control scheme that requires me to continually keep both mouse buttons pressed for lengths of time while still doing everything else starts making my arm and wrist hurt.

Mouse-aiming also does not really address the OP's inquiry. Vertical descent independent of camera direction is emphatically not the same thing as pointing yourself in a different direction and moving forward. It is an entirely different control axis, and it is indeed kind of a bewildering oversight to omit it.

Especially since you wouldn't even need to add one more keybind--just do what virtually every FPS for the last 20 years has done when a ground player needs to fly up and down... and use Jump=Up, Crouch=Down. They got half of it right, it's just weird that they omitted the other half.
    Fleet Admiral L'Yern - Screenshot and doffing addict
    Eclipse Class Intel Cruiser U.S.S. Dioscuria NX-91121-A - Interactive Crew Roster
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    daveyny wrote: »

:cool:

Pretty much this :)
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      I can't check at the moment, but it should be possible to bind a "descend" key, since the ground system is based off of Champions Online. It's just not bound by default.
    • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      darkjeff wrote: »
      I can't check at the moment, but it should be possible to bind a "descend" key, since the ground system is based off of Champions Online. It's just not bound by default.

It is indeed possible to bind a down key.

Type into the chat bar:
      /bind x +down

Where x is the key you want to bind it to.
    • gishka#4096 gishka Member Posts: 25 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      I'm at work so can't test it, but there's a command for down you should be able to bind to a key to use:

/bind x +down

substituting the x for the key you want to use for down.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=192243 is helpful if you want to know more about making your own keybinds.
      Dahar Master Gishka - I.K.S. Storm of Quin'lat
      tlhIngan maH taHjaj!
    • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      No, it isn't.

It's just unbelievable that someone would only code half a jet pack - hence the OPs confusion.

You know, just like non 360-degree space flight.

Oh, I see why you rolled your eyes now.

(assuming it was directed at Cryptic, and not some random player that you don't know but somehow still feel superior to.)

The OP's confusion, has nothing to do with coding half of a jet pack!

A jet pack is designed to mainly do what? Create lift!

It is up to the operator, to actually steer the thing and, you know operate it's capability to lift, as well as descend.

Simple trial and error, would have easily solved the question, you know by actually figuring out what the mouse is for and, what it does in said environment!!!

But, we'll toss logic out the airlock on this matter!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
      tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!