test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Out of game chat

generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
Hey peeps,

Comrademoco here. I'm posting this here cause its kinda of a question...

Anyways, if y'all been to trekradio.com site y'all seen that is has a chat room that allows it to connect to the terekradio.net channel in game.

Now I'm trying to do the same for my fleet. I've done several google searches to find a possible way, but they all have failed to the only gold/LTS feature and that its single user...

I want a chat room to be able to host on my fleets website that can handle multiple users that can chat to our fleet members in game.

Does anyone know how its done?

Any help is most appreciated and welcomed..

EDIT:
Ok, so on the topic od Pidgin and the Gold LTS account Status... I am having an issue..

I follow the instructions here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=159864

I imputed the info correctly, I keep getting

Server Close the Connection
Not Authorised
SSL Handshake Failure

error message... Im at the point where I want to give up but... hopefully someone else that uses this can enlighten me on what I am doing wrong...
EDIT

Sincerely,
Comrademoco
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Hey peeps,

Comrademoco here. I'm posting this here cause its kinda of a question...

Anyways, if y'all been to trekradio.com site y'all seen that is has a chat room that allows it to connect to the terekradio.net channel in game.

Now I'm trying to do the same for my fleet. I've done several google searches to find a possible way, but they all have failed to the only gold/LTS feature and that its single user...

I want a chat room to be able to host on my fleets website that can handle multiple users that can chat to our fleet members in game.

Does anyone know how its done?

Any help is most appreciated and welcomed..

Sincerely,
    Comrademoco

What is the @handle in the ingame chat when this happens? The only thing i can think of is they have an account they plug into a java app that connects to xmpp, and the name people enter when joining is the xmpp "resource", which is the name thats before the @handle.if ingame they all have user @trekradiochat or something similar, thats probably what theyre doing
  • generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited June 2015
    What is the @handle in the ingame chat when this happens? The only thing i can think of is they have an account they plug into a java app that connects to xmpp, and the name people enter when joining is the xmpp "resource", which is the name thats before the @handle.if ingame they all have user @trekradiochat or something similar, thats probably what theyre doing

They do, I just can remember of top my head the @handle I was told it was a bot that reads the in game messages a sends them to chat on the website and vice versa. Echo 1 not.
    There is a thread in I think the tribble forum that explains the XMPP client stuff.

There is, however that is as feature explaining the pidgin software only for subscribers. I'm looking for something different. Did read it tho.
    edited June 2015
    Suppose they have some kind of bot logged in on a subscriber account that relays the messages back and forth maybe.

sto and never winter share one chat system, people in never winter can message people in sto and join/read post in sto channels and vice versa. Maybe never winter has a way for non paying users to do XMPP, just spitballing.

Might be the case though that they use a paid account as a bridge between the site and the game chat, and you'd need to also.

To be honest, since they are the ones who worked out a way to do it, you should ask them!

Usually somone who comes up with something clever like that is happy to explain it.

probably will have to talk to them. Anyways, thank you guys for the reply and help... much appreciated...

let just see if anyone else that happens to know some more hops in this thread...

^..^
    edited June 2015
    Ok, so on the topic od Pidgin and the Gold LTS account Status... I am having an issue..

I follow the instructions here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=159864

I imputed the info correctly, I keep getting

Server Close the Connection
    Not Authorised
    SSL Handshake Failure

error message... Im at the point where I want to give up but... hopefully someone else that uses this can enlighten me on what I am doing wrong...

Edit: added this to the OP too...
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Hmm, I too got an SSL handshake error a minute ago, maybe the chat server is just being finicky. I pressed the log in button a few more times and it did finally connect. Oh and yes, the radio stations use a relay account/bot to enable their chat rooms.

Aside from that, if you follow the instructions in the thread you linked and have a gold account without chat restrictions (you know, the usual 'must obtain a zen balance or play for 20 hours' thing designed to combat gold farming bot spammers), it should work.

The only other thing I can think of is:

If you have a pre-PWE account you might try your old login name; or maybe not, mine uses the post-PWE forced user name change to log in that no longer matches my forum handle: 2. Username: <Account Name> (The login name used for CO Live/Holodeck)
    My login is not an email address: 2a. If your Account Name is an email address, substitute the "@ for a \40" (e.g. name\40name.com)
    Probably case-sensitive: 3. Domain: CrypticSpace.com

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
    edited June 2015
    Oh and yes, the radio stations use a relay account/bot to enable their chat rooms.

So far no fudge on the pidgin program on my end, but a friend of my did get his to work...

On the topic of the relay account/bot, its been roughly 24hrs of me doing google searches and searches and so far I have not found anything useful on how program/build one and integrate it to the LTS account for the irc to comun itcate to the xmpp and vice-versa.

I feel like giving up now... Ya got know of anything that might help mighty? Maybe trendy or one of the revs can point me in the right direction... :summons trendy:

Thanks for the help tho.
  • fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Ive never had a problem connecting. Make sure youre using a gold/lts acct. The username is your @handle, the resource is what your xmpp "character" name will be (you can use anything) , use SASL security, and its just CrypticSpace.Com for the initial connection.

Edit: also my client uses TLS NOT SSL maybe thats your issue?
    edited June 2015
    Ive never had a problem connecting. Make sure youre using a gold/lts acct. The username is your @handle, the resource is what your xmpp "character" name will be (you can use anything) , use SASL security, and its just CrypticSpace.Com for the initial connection.

Edit: also my client uses TLS NOT SSL maybe thats your issue?

From the posts I've read it said the username was the login username, but I'll give it a shot with the @handle instead.
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    In terms of the IRC bot I imagine it would be pretty standard fare as far as IRC bots go. There are a lot out there that you can simply download. The trick is if it'll also run on XMPP or if you need to write some custom functions for that.

You make an in-game chat channel and have the bot connect to the XMPP server.
    You make an IRC channel on whatever IRC network you want to use like freenode or coldfront and have the bot connect there as well.
    Anything it sees that gets said in the XMPP channel it copies and pastes into the IRC channel and vice versa, concatenating something at the beginning of the message, usually the @handle. You can also have it selectively ignore certain users or messages if you feel like it. I've no idea how to accomplish any of that though as I'm a horrible programmer. :P

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
    edited June 2015
    I'll see if I can find something like that...

Thanks for the reply.

:)