test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I've pretty much had it with this game crashing!

kempeitai21kempeitai21 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
I've so far had to uninstall and reinstall this game twice trying to get it to work it goes to the blue loading screen that says "Iconian war", then it ****ing crashes! I'm getting really really angry and about to say **** IT! and leave it permanently uninstalled because of this! :mad::mad::mad::mad:
Post edited by kempeitai21 on

Comments

• Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Turn that frown upside down
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I've so far had to uninstall and reinstall this game twice trying to get it to work it goes to the blue loading screen that says "Iconian war", then it ****ing crashes! I'm getting really really angry and about to say **** IT! and leave it permanently uninstalled because of this! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Try going to your STO install directory, under "localdata" rename Gameprefs.pref to Gameprefs.pref.bak and then try to run the game again.
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Bye! Nobody will miss you.
  • Options
    ryakidrysryakidrys Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Try troubleshooting the PC for issues. Do the basics first like defrag and check disk (both options) and then move to more advanced stuff like memtest or windows memory diagnostic. Make sure you get a minimum of 3 passes on memory tests. If the computer is more than 3 years old, it's probably hardware. Bulged capacitors on the motherboard are a common sign of trouble on old computers, though it could simply be something else.
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited June 2015
    ryakidrys wrote: »
    Try troubleshooting the PC for issues. Do the basics first like defrag and check disk (both options) and then move to more advanced stuff like memtest or windows memory diagnostic. Make sure you get a minimum of 3 passes on memory tests. If the computer is more than 3 years old, it's probably hardware. Bulged capacitors on the motherboard are a common sign of trouble on old computers, though it could simply be something else.

My 4 year old system was having the same issues. BSD, crashing. In my case it's hardware related, with equipment clearly nearing EOL. New computer arrives next week ;)
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,318 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Try starting it in safe mode from arc launcher under options.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Have you tried turning it off and on again?
    w8xekp.jpg
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Which loading screen?

Is this the first loading screen after hitting "Engage" in the launcher? I think mine's black, not blue.

If that's where you're crashing, it's probably a driver or hardware issue. There's a slim chance it's a networking/firewall issue, but I'd look at your drivers first.

I'd also move your complaint to whichever forum handles technical support. Posters there are better prepared to go through the process of uncovering an issue, and more willing to do so.

Also, try the earlier suggested step of renaming the config file.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Are you running everything at stock speed?

If you are overclocking the CPU, RAM or video card you need to change back to stock speed.
  • Options
    makocallowaymakocalloway Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I actually have the same problem. Started around the same time as the season patch. I have to make many attempts before I can get the loadingredients screen not to crash. Once in in I have no problems though. I'll try some of these suggestions.
    5rFUCPd.png

• Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I have had the rare crash to desktop but never had the blue screen, I hate to say it but I would be looking more towards a problem with your OS then with the game.
    it may be the game that triggers the crash but that doesn't mean its the cause of the crash, it could be something as simple as a driver that needs updating or it could even be worse case a sign of a hardware failure.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Which loading screen?

Is this the first loading screen after hitting "Engage" in the launcher? I think mine's black, not blue.

If that's where you're crashing, it's probably a driver or hardware issue. There's a slim chance it's a networking/firewall issue, but I'd look at your drivers first.

I'd also move your complaint to whichever forum handles technical support. Posters there are better prepared to go through the process of uncovering an issue, and more willing to do so.

Also, try the earlier suggested step of renaming the config file.

This could be true as well, had it happen once after an update.... turned off firewall, launched game... it doensloaded some updates over again, and then worked from then on (with firewall on).
  • Options
    jocelyn2jocelyn2 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2015

It happens randomly for any kind of possible reason that exist. You either get used to it or move on.
    [SIGPIC] [/SIGPIC]
    I will always choose a lazy person to do a difficult job...

...because he will find an easy way to do it.

-Bill Gates
  • Options
    xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    Bye! Nobody will miss you.

Nice useless comment you've got there.

but just for future reference;

nobody will miss you either if you randomly disappear off these forums either.
  • Options
    delaromadelaroma Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Have you tried realigning the plasma inducers, which in turn will reset the Dilithium reaction to greater quantify your mater to anti-mater ratio? Geordie and Data do this all the time and it works :)

Its simple quantum mechanics son, not rocket science :eek:
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I've pretty much had it with this game crashing!

. . . and those monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday-to-Friday plane!

But seriously: stock speed, drivers, disk health check, closing anything running in the background like torrents.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Wait... Nobodies blaming everything on Cryptic? Have I somehow entered an STO Mirror Universe thread? :eek:

*backs slowly and quietly out of thread...*

You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension - a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into the Twilight Zone. LOL

or maybe

There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your television set. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to – The Outer Limits.

• Options
    peter109peter109 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    whatever you do don't ask the dev to fix it, look at the reply I had when my ne char had problems,

the romulan rep missions have got stuck so I reported it expecting the to just knock them of out or restet them so I could do them again, but no this is the reply:-

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us. We are sorry to hear that you are having issues with this Tutorial Mission.

Unfortunately, with being such a new Character, if you get stuck within these first few missions, you may need to re-create your Character. We also advise following the tutorial in the order it was presented and refrain from deviating from any of it until you have finished all the tutorial missions. In addition to that, please let the cinematics (if any) run to the end to ensure that the mission updates correctly.

We truly apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.

Regards,

basically saying we have not built the game properly, but we can't be bothered to fix it, never mind the hours you have spent getting you char to that level, you need to throw it all away and start again, no wonder people are leaving the game,

if they can't fix simple issues like this should they even be running the game?

good job perfect world or I should say "not so perfect world"
  • Options
    alex284alex284 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Wait... Nobodies blaming everything on Cryptic? Have I somehow entered an STO Mirror Universe thread? :eek:

*backs slowly and quietly out of thread...*

No, this is the same old STO forums, where if one person or some people or even thousands of people have a technical problem, there will always be a small cadre who shows up to say "I don't have said problem, so clearly the problem is you and I don't want to hear about it."

The crashing while loading problem has had multiple threads in the support section of the forums. It started with the s10 update for a lot of people. Maybe there was something in that update that doesn't interact well with some people's computers? NOOOOOOOOO, clearly the answer is that these users all changed their machines, OSes, and IPs at the exact same time in the exact same way just so that they could complain here.
  • Options
    demonicaestheticdemonicaesthetic Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Crashing at the Iconian War Logo Load screen is a faulty directx 11 api call issue, so it's cryptics fault, since they wrote the faulty code that makes the faulty api call.

There were numerous threads on this when Season 10 arrived.

It's probably not your pc, graphics card, video drivers, directx install or internet connection.

Suggested fixes include...

1. Turning off support for CUDA cores in the graphics config for your card.

2. Start the game in safe mode

3. Go to the display options and where it says 'video card' - 'auto', change that to directx 9

4. Set the mode to windowed, NOT windowed fullscreen, or fullscreen

5. Set your other graphics sliders to what you want.

6. Log out of the game and shut it down.

7. Log back in, once at the character selection screen, you can maximize the window for normal play

8. Before shutting down the game, UN-maximize the window.

Repeat 7. and 8. every time you play, no need to run in safe mode every time.

These steps have managed to cure the problem for a very great number of sufferers.
    <center><font size="+5"><b>Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...</b></size></center>
  • Options
    quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Every time I see this thread on the most recent post, my brain reads "I've had enough of your disingenuous assertions!" *Shepard punch*
    w8xekp.jpg
  • Options
    iamviperswhipiamviperswhip Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I crashed yesterday, but I kind of blame myself. There are things I know I shouldn't do in games, like open a menu and try to click something else at the same time or stuff like that, other than that, never.
  • Options
    castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I found that the game was trying to run directx11 whenever I was getting crashes, so I set the game to start in safe mode, changed the selector to only use directx9 and then relogged, havent had an issue since on the laptop im using (that isnt local network related) so you can try that and see if it fixes things
  • Options
    alex284alex284 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Crashing at the Iconian War Logo Load screen is a faulty directx 11 api call issue, so it's cryptics fault, since they wrote the faulty code that makes the faulty api call.

There were numerous threads on this when Season 10 arrived.

It's probably not your pc, graphics card, video drivers, directx install or internet connection.

Suggested fixes include...

1. Turning off support for CUDA cores in the graphics config for your card.

2. Start the game in safe mode

3. Go to the display options and where it says 'video card' - 'auto', change that to directx 9

4. Set the mode to windowed, NOT windowed fullscreen, or fullscreen

5. Set your other graphics sliders to what you want.

6. Log out of the game and shut it down.

7. Log back in, once at the character selection screen, you can maximize the window for normal play

8. Before shutting down the game, UN-maximize the window.

Repeat 7. and 8. every time you play, no need to run in safe mode every time.

These steps have managed to cure the problem for a very great number of sufferers.

Wow, that actually worked! Thanks! I've been using safe mode for over a month now!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I`m not saying these crashes plaguing some users are not cryptics fault all I can say is I have run sto on my old laptop, I am running sto on my current laptop, I have run sto on my very old desktop, I have run sto on my last desktop and now I am running sto on my new desktop under two separate installs of windows, the first install of windows 7 when I got the computer and a subsequent upgrade to windows 7 pro and at all times I have never got the kind of constant crashes you guys seem to suffer.

so with 5 computers and 6 windows installs sto has been relatively crash free, maybe once every couple of months or so I might get the odd crash to desktop but nothing enough to cause me any bother and certainly never the blue loading screen crash the OP mentioned.

and when you factor in the fact that I probably run sto anywhere from 3hours a day up to 8hours a day that's not bad going in my books.