test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Flying high Rewards.

joshglassjoshglass Member Posts: 159 Arc User
So, the Pearls saved up from last year to try and reduce time buying the ship this year were good for other rewards. Now if you unlock a ship on one character that ship becomes available to all characters via the rep store tab.

My questions are: Is there a reason to do the Flying High event with more than one character? Will this years reward used to buy the Ferengi ship be good to buy other things like the pearls were?
Post edited by joshglass on

Comments

• zarato4218zarato4218 Member Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    You only need to do flying high on one toon. If you look in the Account Reclaim tab, the Nandi is already there, just greyed out. As soon as you earn it on one, it will become available to all there.

As to the vouchers, no one knows. My guess is no. They gave a store for pearls because people had so many from past years and didn't know they were going to be retired. The store was to lessen that blow and let all that work still be useful somehow. I hope this helps. :)
    As Zephram Cochrane once said, "That'll do, pig. That'll do." - April 1st 2015. o:)
  • joshglassjoshglass Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    zarato4218 wrote: »
    You only need to do flying high on one toon. If you look in the Account Reclaim tab, the Nandi is already there, just greyed out. As soon as you earn it on one, it will become available to all there.

As to the vouchers, no one knows. My guess is no. They gave a store for pearls because people had so many from past years and didn't know they were going to be retired. The store was to lessen that blow and let all that work still be useful somehow. I hope this helps. :)

Awesome, Thanks.

I imagine, if they allowed extra vouchers to be used in the same fashion the pearls were, they would get a lot more activity in the summer event...
  • millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    joshglass wrote: »
    I imagine, if they allowed extra vouchers to be used in the same fashion the pearls were, they would get a lot more activity in the summer event...
    No, they would just frontload next years activity into this year.

If they wanted to increase summer event participation, they could offer multiple ships.

Oh wait...
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    So, the Pearls saved up from last year to try and reduce time buying the ship this year were good for other rewards. Now if you unlock a ship on one character that ship becomes available to all characters via the rep store tab.

My questions are: Is there a reason to do the Flying High event with more than one character? Will this years reward used to buy the Ferengi ship be good to buy other things like the pearls were?

totally pointless doing flying high on more then one character, theres no alternative prize you can claim for completing the mission and the tokens expire at the end of this event.

shame really as I was hoping to get a choice of rewards so it would be useful to do it with alts, just favours or an egg or monkey tags or some such.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    My main is running flying high to finish off getting the risian cruiser from last year. One of my alts is running it for this years ship.

While not the same as the start early thing its still getting me the ships as long as I'm willing to put in 20 min to run it on both toons...

In the mean time, I'm having a fine time on Risa.

It'll be a nice ship for my Orion's seeing I haven't purchased any new KDF Heavy Metal in the last year and some. Something interesting to play in for awhile.
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    My main is running flying high to finish off getting the risian cruiser from last year. One of my alts is running it for this years ship.

While not the same as the start early thing its still getting me the ships as long as I'm willing to put in 20 min to run it on both toons...

In the mean time, I'm having a fine time on Risa.

It'll be a nice ship for my Orion's seeing I haven't purchased any new KDF Heavy Metal in the last year and some. Something interesting to play in for awhile.

Yeah, if you still got that project, the T5U Risian Cruiser is well worth the effort. Even with the many T6 Cruisers out there, it still has a respectable combination of staying power, offensive capability, and unmatched handling as a TAC Cruiser. When this thing came out, it put many Cruisers to shame :P

I remember Galaxy-class fans being PISSED when this thing released LOL
    XzRTofz.gif
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Well, technically you could save up for the next year by using two chars to collect them. But we dont know if they get retired again, making it a gamble.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    woodwhity wrote: »
    Well, technically you could save up for the next year by using two chars to collect them. But we dont know if they get retired again, making it a gamble.

Yes we do. They said the ship currency would be replaced each year.

There is absolutely no reason to run Flying High more than you need to get the ship.
    edited June 2015
    But we dont know if they get retired again, making it a gamble.
    I believe they said they will be retired in the same press release announcing the changes.

Also, I wouldn't expect 2015 vouchers to last into 2016.

Or even past the end of the summer event.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I believe they said they will be retired in the same press release announcing the changes.

Also, I wouldn't expect 2015 vouchers to last into 2016.

Or even past the end of the summer event.

indeed, that's why if you look as the vouchers they have [2015] in the title, my guess is next year they will basically be the same but with [2016] in the title, so you wont be able to use this years vouchers.

also I think it will be pointless saving them in the hopes they will offer some items to use them on like they did with the pearls, they only did it that way this year as they kinda sprung it on players, next year everyone will be aware the vouchers are no good so its not even worth holding onto them in the first place.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I guess the players where too active with too many characters in past events & that did not fit with calculations and maybe was also too much server load.

With the new method they can ensure that much more players then before play only the bare minimum in those events which does fit more into the metrics and does stress the servers less. As said, just guessing. :confused:
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I guess the players where too active with too many characters in past events & that did not fit with calculations and maybe was also too much server load.

With the new method they can ensure that much more players then before play only the bare minimum in those events which does fit more into the metrics and does stress the servers less. As said, just guessing. :confused:

Especially when combined with removiing the old ships, so no pesky newbies running it 3x to get multiple ships. :rolleyes:
    edited June 2015
    The summer is so much less active than the winter that I can't imagine this is their reasoning.

This is about not allowing an alternative method to complete the ship on the first day besides the Lobi option, and eventually making all event rewards account based instead of character based (but still with character based progression).
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited June 2015

The currency will definitely be retired. This year's reputation has the year even in it's name.

It would be neat if on retiring, they also make it a viable currency for the Lohlnut Pearl Store, then there would be a reason to do get pearls on multiple accounts and continue gaining them even when you got your ship. But for now, that's just wishful thinking.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    From what I understand and going on what's written on the vouchers tooltip they will expire and vanish from your inventory when the event ends, as will any event projects you haven't completed.
  • bberge1701bberge1701 Member Posts: 726 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2015
    I agree, there's no point now in running Flying High with more than one character.

I wish there was an option for an alternate reward, like favors, GPL, or even lobi crystals (since some event pets now cost lobi). I actually enjoy "Flying High", and wish I had some excuse to do it with other characters.
  • nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Neverwinter has had expiring rewards from the start, and tends to, at the end of a festival, run a period of time where the primary currency (vouchers, in this case) can be traded in for rather large quantities of the secondary (favors).

I'd be a little surprised if they didn't add that as a feature to STO's new expiring currency.
  • lowy1lowy1 Member Posts: 964 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    What they should do is add a repeatable project for SPec Points with 200-300 vouchers per point make it repeatable up to 5 times and now we'd have an alt friendly game.
    HzLLhLB.gif

• mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Sure was nice to log in and find out that my small pile of Pearls was useless for contributing towards the new ship, because "metrics" had to be artificially padded.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The thing is, by removing the older ships form the store, they have guaranteed a complete lack of participation! If it's all about "metrics" then ... "Yer' doin' it wrong"

Now, there is virtually no reason at all to have more than 1 toon on Risa, and most players will park an Alt there and just log in once a day, run the mission, then go back to a different toon.

If they had left the old ships in the store, at least they could be assured of several Alts being on Risa, and if you are logging in to Risa on 2 or 3 Alts, you might just stay a while.

I also agree that there should be other items available to spend the "Vouchers 2015" on ... Senior Monkeys, Senior Tropical Birds ... Even some of the top tier Floaters, Power Boards, DO'ffs (how about adding a Risian BOff? even?) and most expensive clothing items.

I have no idea who made the decisions for this years Summer Event, but they seriously need to come out and take a look around, I think they've lost touch with the players.
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I guess season 10 took up a lot more dev time than they were able to spare for the summer event considering this past winter they were saying 'now is the time to get your suggestions for the summer event in' due to that stuff needing to be planned out well in advance. (p.s. zip lines and cliff diving ;D )

Oh which means now must be the time to get suggestions in for the upcoming winter event. Snow angels and build your own snow man. Make it happen. :P

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.