• Options
    daka86daka86 Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Babylon 5 is the best
  • Options
    fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    B5 wins.

Both have meandering starts. B5 only takes 2 seasons to get going while DS9 takes 4.

Both feature war, but B5 does it better for the most part. Also B5 gets points for going full CG before Trek.

Both have annoying sanctimonious characters. Delenn just gets more annoying every rewatch. On the other hand, the entire Bajoran people become more and more insufferable (except for Kai Winn, fantastic character).

The Sisko is flatly better than Sheridan.

Both feature excellent duos of actors playing off each other. Sadly Odo and Quark can't match Londo and G'Kar.

Both have excellent minor characters. For me, Garak and Dukat beat out Bester and Zach Allen.

Both have overall excellent quality acting and writing.

While B5 is shorter overall, the breadth of overall history and how the show fit into that, makes B5 feel like it has more content than DS9.

And of course, the B5 mantra is indisputable. Sooooo... B5 wins.
  • Options
    torgaddon101torgaddon101 Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    fatman592 wrote: »
    B5 wins.

Both have meandering starts. B5 only takes 2 seasons to get going while DS9 takes 4.

Both feature war, but B5 does it better for the most part. Also B5 gets points for going full CG before Trek.

Both have annoying sanctimonious characters. Delenn just gets more annoying every rewatch. On the other hand, the entire Bajoran people become more and more insufferable.

Both feature excellent duos of actors playing off each other. Sadly Odo and Quark can't match Londo and G'Kar.

Both have excellent minor characters. For me, Garak and Dukat beat out Bester and Zach Allen.

While B5 is shorter overall, the breadth of overall history and how the show fit into that, makes B5 feel like it has more content than DS9.

And of course, the B5 mantra is indisputable. Sooooo... B5 wins.

you pin pointed all.

we are all sifi geeks..:)

but Bab5 beats ds9
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2015
    DS9, it handled everything B5 did but better.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    archanubisarchanubis Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I like them both equally.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Bab 5

DS9 is, and will always ever be, a poor shadow of B5. Considering, IIRC, B5 was actually pitched to Paramount and rejected and was, in essence, used for DS9.

Thank you for the time...
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I love both. But not equally. B5 is my fave.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    DS9 Duhhhhhhh

B5 CGI has not aged well, while DS9 still looks good today (yay for models)
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    fatman592 wrote: »

Never liked Bab5 CGI.

Both have annoying sanctimonious characters. Delenn just gets more annoying every rewatch. On the other hand, the entire Bajoran people become more and more insufferable (except for Kai Winn, fantastic character). True Bajorans are xtimes more annoying.

100% true

I liked both duos.

Agreed.

Agreed. I think it's because DS9 has much more filler Episodes which did nothing to advance the main story.
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    B5 CGI has not aged well, while DS9 still looks good today (yay for models)
    Very true!
    Even then i didn't like BaB5 CGI, it just looked too artificial compared to real models.

I'd say DS9 wins. :)
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    B5, it's the all series story arc that was really well written
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      sovereign47sovereign47 Member Posts: 399 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      Both shows are good in their own way, but I like DS9 a bit more.

Let's see why:

CGI and models are far better as was said before.

Star Trek starships and stations are far more better designed and far more powerful than all the ships from B5 combined (including the ones from Shadows and Vorlons; only Thirdspace aliens could match them).

While B5 has some great characters, I would say that DS9 have more of them.

When it comes to aliens I would say that B5 is slightly better, however, no alien except for the first ones can compare to shapeshifters. Oh yeah, prophets and Q are more powerful than anything B5 can throw at them.

Story of DS9 is very well writen, as is the one of B5. I would say they are equal when it comes to that. Ofc, I must mention that Thirdspace aliens were severely underused.

And DS9 has much hotter women :D

So it's 5 : 2 for DS9.
      FED ENG: FA Sirius Verax (USS Leviathan) , FED TAC (Delta): FA Adria Tyllex (USS Thunderblade) , ROM TAC: ADM Kill'ina (IRW Imperix Thrai) , KLING ENG (Delta): LT. GEN Ghol'Vaq Martok (IKS Qeh'Ral II) - 44th Fleet member
      SZ1RgUL.jpg
      SUPPORTING PLAYABLE CARDASSIAN AND DOMINION FACTIONS!
    • Options
      rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
      edited June 2015
      B5's CG may not have "aged well" but it was pretty good for the time. Just like The Last Starfighter. That looks like TRIBBLE compared to today's CG, but when you consider the time it was made... not too bad at all for what they had available.

Also B5 had a lot more humor.
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    • Options
      starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      No preference. I love both of them.
      "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
      — Sabaton, "Great War"
      VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    • Options
      fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      So after seeing some responses, let me clarify, I don't thing B5's CG was better. I was more giving extra points for forward thinking/early adoption of a current industry standard.I mean, holy TRIBBLE those early Starfury vs Raider fights were awful. But eventually the CG improved. And the fact that B5 went CG meant that it could have some designs that wouldn't normally be achieved with regular models and kitbashing.

In DS9, the Kingon attack on DS9 was pretty bad graphically, but then the season 7 stuff was awesome. Both series grew a great deal. I'd put it at a draw between the two.

I'm in the same boat as several of you, DS9 was great. But there are some things that B5 did better, humor and an arc driven by an always impending expiration date. Maybe that's the deciding factor for me, B5 knew it wouldn't necessarialy be around, so the cast and crew fought harder, tried harder, to deliver a quality product.

Both deliver such memorable moments, but there are few moments in DS9 that matches things like this. That low budget, that redressed set used in a million scenes... it highlights the sheer power of the writing and the actors, and the delivery of the lines that makes B5 one of the greatest sci-fi series ever produced.

Really, I hope this thread devolves into us posting videos and quotes trying to prove one way or the other. There are so many great moments in both series...
    • Options
      starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      My personal favorite B5 moment? This little sequence from "Severed Dreams".
      "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
      — Sabaton, "Great War"
      VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    • Options
      ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      starswordc wrote: »
      My personal favorite B5 moment? This little sequence from "Severed Dreams".

I know what scene this is without even having to look. Hell, I quote it in my signature! :P

In terms of which do I prefer? I think B5 was overall a better show in terms of story, cast and humour, not to mention graphically (graphics includes the designs, people, not just how realistic it looks), but I can't honestly say I prefer it to DS9. I love them both!
    • Options
      mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
      edited June 2015
      It's pretty even for me, as well.

I think that JMS' world is more realistic look at what humanity will be in the 23rd century, and not pushing Roddenberry's secular humanist standpoint so on-the-head. JMS is far more forgiving to religion than any of the Trek writers, even DS9. Yet, there are shades of Roddenberry in JMS... especially the idea that humanity strives to build communities in the name of peaceful cooperation and betterment for all. I love many of the flawed characters in the show, too, from Garabaldi to Londo to G'Kar. Ivannova is great, too. :D All that said... The Sisko, the Defiant, The Dominion, Weyoun, Garak... so good. :D

Both shows are kindred spirits to each other. DS9 is "cleaner," but I think the root of it is the same. My guess is that Ron Moore and Ira Steven Behr would be comfortable in the B5 universe, and JMS could have easily done a fantastic job at DS9.

On a related note... I wish JMS would be put in charge of a new Trek series. He'd do a great job, IMO.
      d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
    • Options
      cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      B5, all day. Oh yeah. Loves me some DS9 .. but B5.
    • Options
      quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      Deep Space Nine was our last, best hope for peace.
      It failed.
      In the year of the Iconian War it became something greater: our last, best hope - for victory.
      The year is 2410. The place: Deep Space Nine.

Tuvok: It was the year of fire,
      VanZyl: the year of destruction,
      Koren: the year we took back what was ours.
      Seven of Nine: It was the year of rebirth,
      Neelix: the year of great sadness,
      Worf: the year of pain,
      Jarok: and the year of joy.

D'Tan: It was a new age.

Doctor: It was the end of history.

Harry Kim: It was the year everything changed.

Va'Kel Shon: The year is 2410.
      Kurland: Kurland Here.
      w8xekp.jpg
    • Options
      mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
      edited June 2015
      quintaris wrote: »

Alright, that made me laugh. :D
      d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
    • Options
      edited June 2015
      It failed.
      In the year of the Iconian War it became something greater: our last, best hope - for victory.

You owe me a new spleen! HA!

So, who do you think would handle Quark better as security chief? Odo or Michael Garibaldi?
    • Options
      quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      Garibaldi would have shot Quark. No questions asked. And Ivanova would have let him.
      w8xekp.jpg
    • Options
      deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      i dunno... i gotta be able to watch bs5 again :( can't find it
    • Options
      edited June 2015
      Garibaldi would have shot Quark. No questions asked. And Ivanova would have let him.

I'm not so sure about that.

I think at first encounter Garibaldi would have made very clear who has the bigger gun; following that he would have piled favors from quark for letting minor stuff slide (but making Quark painfully aware that he knows) than cashing in said favors at Quarks most inconvenient moments for important stuff for the greater good/saving lives/impress a lady.
    • Options
      edited June 2015
      I'm not so sure about that.

I think at first encounter Garibaldi would have made very clear who has the bigger gun; following that he would have piled favors from quark for letting minor stuff slide (but making Quark painfully aware that he knows) than cashing in said favors at Quarks most inconvenient moments for important stuff for the greater good/saving lives/impress a lady.

Knowing Garibaldi, he'd probably wear a smile while doing it in the most comical way possible. :P

And failing that, with just one conversation he'd put the fear of God into Quark - and I don't think Ferengi have Gods.
    • Options
      captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      I think B5 is more entertaining, but DS9 is more polished. Both shows are great in their own right.
      I need a beer.

• Options
      edited June 2015
      ryan218 wrote: »
      Knowing Garibaldi, he'd probably wear a smile while doing it in the most comical way possible. :P

And failing that, with just one conversation he'd put the fear of God into Quark - and I don't think Ferengi have Gods.

Spot on :D
    • Options
      sovereign47sovereign47 Member Posts: 399 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      It failed.

LOL! Good one :D

Oh, and my choice for one of the favorite B5 parts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tj4qfe9afs :cool:
      FED ENG: FA Sirius Verax (USS Leviathan) , FED TAC (Delta): FA Adria Tyllex (USS Thunderblade) , ROM TAC: ADM Kill'ina (IRW Imperix Thrai) , KLING ENG (Delta): LT. GEN Ghol'Vaq Martok (IKS Qeh'Ral II) - 44th Fleet member
      SZ1RgUL.jpg
      SUPPORTING PLAYABLE CARDASSIAN AND DOMINION FACTIONS!