test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Powerboard "afterburners"?

ovrkylovrkyl Member Posts: 309 Arc User
Ok, I asked in chat first and got the run-around. Yes, I know "all boards can do it" and "the jumps/arrows give you a speed boost". That's not what I'm asking about.

What I'm looking at is the people who are blowing rocket flames out the back of their boards at the starting line and throughout the race (a definite speed advantage) compared to other players with the same boards that aren't. Players obviously triggering something on the starting line, putting bursts out the back of their boards over and over. It's an obvious player-initiated control, not jump/arrow dependent, so what's the answer?

How are players getting the afterburner speed boost effect on their boards?:confused:
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Post edited by ovrkyl on

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015
    As far as I know and if I'm interpreting correctly... superior boards do it automatically. Don't think it has anything to do with speed boosting, just an added effect of that board. I don't know if the mid level boards do that as I jumped from standard to Superior.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • ovrkylovrkyl Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    skollulfr wrote: »
    im not sure... but i think it might be a tribble you can buy on risa.
    You do get a small advantage for floaters (not sure on powerboards) with the tribble, but not like this.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    As far as I know and if I'm interpreting correctly... superior boards do it automatically. Don't think it has anything to do with speed boosting, just an added effect of that board. I don't know if the mid level boards do that as I jumped from standard to Superior.
    The toon I'm primarily racing with has a "superior" board, but it does not have those burners. I've seen other boards of all types (I think even the wooden rentals) blow flame out the back, some do, some don't, seems player-oriented.

Does the Ripper accolade have something to do with it maybe? Like getting the accolade let's you go even faster?
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015
    I don't know. I just know that sometimes it won't render the rockets due to the presence of lots of stuff happening sometimes.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Some boards are just better than others.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The Targ board (which I got immedeatly, not caring if it was the "best" or not, because... come on ;) ) blasts flames but I think that's only for visuals. It is the fastest board available (tight with the faction superior one) but those "afterburners" don't actually make it faster, it's just visuals. Some mid-level boards have blue-ish flames but again, that's only the boards' effect, sometimes they vanish because there are too many effects going on.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • demonicaestheticdemonicaesthetic Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    ovrkyl wrote: »
    Ok, I asked in chat first and got the run-around. Yes, I know "all boards can do it" and "the jumps/arrows give you a speed boost". That's not what I'm asking about.

What I'm looking at is the people who are blowing rocket flames out the back of their boards at the starting line and throughout the race (a definite speed advantage) compared to other players with the same boards that aren't. Players obviously triggering something on the starting line, putting bursts out the back of their boards over and over. It's an obvious player-initiated control, not jump/arrow dependent, so what's the answer?

How are players getting the afterburner speed boost effect on their boards?:confused:

*sigh*

Ok... Listen carefully...

1. Targ HOG, when engines are on (forward key pressed), flames come out the back, when engines are off (board stationary), no flames come out the back, when in mid air during a jump, no flames come out the back. This is the T.H.'s visual effect.

2. Smart people figured that jumping during the race, at the ramps and accelerator pads, makes your board go faster for a short period, this is a race mechanic, WAI.

3. Smart people figured that paying attention, and timing their starts carefully, can get them an advantage coming out of the gate, this is the same in any racing system anywhere, if you sit around with your thumb up your butt, saying "were r da go pedal?" you wont keep up with the racing drivers.

4. Dumb people saw smart people jumping on course for speed boosts and assumed jumping on a board ALWAYS makes it go faster, afterburner mode.

5. Dumb people repeatedly jump their boards at the start line, futilely trying to engage non existent afterburners, so they can beat the smart people. Problem is if you jump while moving forward you jump OVER the start gate and get disqualified, so they jump, then forward, then stop, then jump, again and again and again.

6. This means the dumb people are sitting at the start gate saying "were r da afta-burna pedal" while the smart people are screaming off down the track...

7. If you want to get better at racing, try practicing the course BETWEEN races...
    <center><font size="+5"><b>Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...</b></size></center>
  • dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The only "afterburners" on the boards are the race mechanics for those that jump at the right time on ramps and hitting speed boosts around the track for second place and further back. Otherwise, the "flames" are just visuals of the board in specific.

If you must know what board they are using, click on their character and under their buffs, it'll tell you what board they are riding at the time, if they are riding one.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2015

i dont have anything additional on the board, i have won races earlier either through really good starts and i really like nailing the starts, or just knowing the track.

there is no real trick to the whole thing other than in my case holding down the "w" key and let the mouse take over, sometimes using spacebar.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited June 2015
    *sigh*

Ok... Listen carefully...

1. Targ HOG, when engines are on (forward key pressed), flames come out the back, when engines are off (board stationary), no flames come out the back, when in mid air during a jump, no flames come out the back. This is the T.H.'s visual effect.

2. Smart people figured that jumping during the race, at the ramps and accelerator pads, makes your board go faster for a short period, this is a race mechanic, WAI.

3. Smart people figured that paying attention, and timing their starts carefully, can get them an advantage coming out of the gate, this is the same in any racing system anywhere, if you sit around with your thumb up your butt, saying "were r da go pedal?" you wont keep up with the racing drivers.

4. Dumb people saw smart people jumping on course for speed boosts and assumed jumping on a board ALWAYS makes it go faster, afterburner mode.

5. Dumb people repeatedly jump their boards at the start line, futilely trying to engage non existent afterburners, so they can beat the smart people. Problem is if you jump while moving forward you jump OVER the start gate and get disqualified, so they jump, then forward, then stop, then jump, again and again and again.

6. This means the dumb people are sitting at the start gate saying "were r da afta-burna pedal" while the smart people are screaming off down the track...

7. If you want to get better at racing, try practicing the course BETWEEN races...
    Condescend much? Implying I'm (or anyone else is) "dumb" for asking a question vs "smart" players that "figure it out for themselves" is just a little insulting.

Now, I have "tried to figure it out for myself" by trying virtually everything you (and pretty much everyone else in this thread) has suggested. Jumping at start. Jumping during race. Practicing the course. Shift-R. Checking players for what kind of boards or buffs they have. And so on...

My toon in question is running the LLAP board. It also has the Lohlunat tribble with buff active. My toon has won first place in the race (yes, against other players) and, therefore, has the Ripper accolade. I have observed boards other than the Targ board showing afterburner-like flames on the track, at the starting line, and standing still, including other LLAP boards like mine and, I believe, even the wooden rentals. It's haphazard how it shows up, but I've seen a few players demonstrate the ability to make it appear at will without actually jumping or being on the race jumps/arrows. When I or anyone else goes over the jumps or arrows, there's a glowing aura around the player that appears when they get the corresponding speed boost, not flames. But I've seen the afterburner flames appear even before the first jump or arrows and the boards with those flames (while I've got my own wide open and lead-footin' it) go blazing past me. I have never seen the flame on my board, no matter how fast I go nor whatever keys I press (including Shift-R), even if I have the camera pulled all the way back and hit jumps and arrows. The fact that it appears on other boards right next to me but not on my own when we're all running flat-out would mean it wasn't necessarily a graphics issue.

So, without the condescension and acting like everyone besides you is a noob (because everyone was a noob once), can anyone actually answer the question?

That simple.
  • dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    From everything you've described, you have seen a graphics glitch. Only board that has "Flames" is the H.O.G., and all the other boards do not. That is really all there is to it.
  • zarato4218zarato4218 Member Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Condescend much? Implying I'm (or anyone else is) "dumb" for asking a question vs "smart" players that "figure it out for themselves" is just a little insulting.

Now, I have "tried to figure it out for myself" by trying virtually everything you (and pretty much everyone else in this thread) has suggested. Jumping at start. Jumping during race. Practicing the course. Shift-R. Checking players for what kind of boards or buffs they have. And so on...

My toon in question is running the LLAP board. It also has the Lohlunat tribble with buff active. My toon has won first place in the race (yes, against other players) and, therefore, has the Ripper accolade. I have observed boards other than the Targ board showing afterburner-like flames on the track, at the starting line, and standing still, including other LLAP boards like mine and, I believe, even the wooden rentals. It's haphazard how it shows up, but I've seen a few players demonstrate the ability to make it appear at will without actually jumping or being on the race jumps/arrows. When I or anyone else goes over the jumps or arrows, there's a glowing aura around the player that appears when they get the corresponding speed boost, not flames. But I've seen the afterburner flames appear even before the first jump or arrows and the boards with those flames (while I've got my own wide open and lead-footin' it) go blazing past me. I have never seen the flame on my board, no matter how fast I go nor whatever keys I press (including Shift-R), even if I have the camera pulled all the way back and hit jumps and arrows. The fact that it appears on other boards right next to me but not on my own when we're all running flat-out would mean it wasn't necessarily a graphics issue.

So, without the condescension and acting like everyone besides you is a noob (because everyone was a noob once), can anyone actually answer the question?

That simple.

Don't let it bother you. There are a few trolls on this forum who start everything like that. She's one of them and has a history of rude posts. In fact the only one whose worse is a certain member with very thin skin and a penchant for mumbling about spec points, dangling carrots, and that "herd" of kids that won't get off his lawn. :rolleyes: BTW, free advice, if you see him...run, abandon your thread and run.:D But I digress.

As to your topic, I have one comment that may or may not be of any use. Though I'm afraid it has nothing to do with the afterburner visual. On that front I have no advice. The LLAP board it seems is mislabled as superior. This may be a bug, but when you look at its description you will see that its speed is less than other boards of its class. That's what stopped me from buying it. Hopefully that was an oversight as not having that board at top speed seems like a mistake.
    As Zephram Cochrane once said, "That'll do, pig. That'll do." - April 1st 2015. o:)
    edited June 2015
    zarato4218 wrote: »
    Don't let it bother you. There are a few trolls on this forum who start everything like that. She's one of them and has a history of rude posts. In fact the only one whose worse is a certain member with very thin skin and a penchant for mumbling about spec points, dangling carrots, and that "herd" of kids that won't get off his lawn. :rolleyes: BTW, free advice, if you see him...run, abandon your thread and run.:D But I digress.

As to your topic, I have one comment that may or may not be of any use. Though I'm afraid it has nothing to do with the afterburner visual. On that front I have no advice. The LLAP board it seems is mislabled as superior. This may be a bug, but when you look at its description you will see that its speed is less than other boards of its class. That's what stopped me from buying it. Hopefully that was an oversight as not having that board at top speed seems like a mistake.
    Yes, seems like there are so many trolls in this forum you'd think this was Neverwinter/DDO. :rolleyes:

I noticed that about the LLAP board having the wrong stats. I originally got it for cosmetic reasons and was pleasantly surprised to see the actual stats be the same as other superior boards (other than the Targ). Somewhere in another thread it was confirmed as a tooltip typo, so no biggie.

Just annoying to see the rather cool afterburner effect and not be able to get it on mine when I see it on others (even non-Targs). I am planning on getting a Targ on a KDF toon, natch.
    edited June 2015

Hmmm... Troll much?
    deer dev, der r peepul cheetin by usin afdta burnas, an dey won tell meh how dey do it

There is no after burner button.
    were r da afta burna button

There is no after burner button.
    U r trollin me cos u wont say were da afta burna button r

There IS no after burner button, please get over it.
    edited June 2015
    Hmmm... Troll much?

Since you seem to have trouble understanding, let me elaborate. There used to be a saying "If you have nothing useful to say...say nothing." Being an @^$ everytime someone asks a question here or in other threads (Which you do) is not useful. The OP had a question about a visual that never appeared on his board, not a race mechanic. Yet for some pointless reason you decided to waste space by outlining powerboard basics that even every idiot (A title that certainly does NOT apply to OP) already knows. And if that was not enough you did so with a pathetic attitude designed to belittle OP. (Which of course backfired as you missed OP's original point and gave incorrect advice to begin with)

So lets review, who is a troll? Someone who gives STO players a bad name with their sad responses to honest questions, or someone who is defending OP and then adds a bit to his conversation?

P.S. Someone calls you a troll and you respond "No, you are!!!!" is so middle school. You may want to move on. :) Still, feel free to keep digging that hole, perhaps one day you'll find some class.

EDIT: Oh I almost forgot, thanks OP. I had wanted the LLAP board for my collection, but did not want to waste favors if it was really slower. If its just a tooltip error though, I might just have to grind out an extra 1000 favors afterall. :D So again, thanks for the info and good luck with your topic.
    As Zephram Cochrane once said, "That'll do, pig. That'll do." - April 1st 2015. o:)
    edited June 2015
    The OP had a question about a visual that never appeared on his board, not a race mechanic.

Really, lets check that shall we...
    What I'm looking at is the people who are blowing rocket flames out the back of their boards at the starting line and throughout the race (a definite speed advantage) compared to other players with the same boards that aren't.

Hmm looks like a statement to me, that 'other' p;ayers are getting a 'speed boost' compared to those like the OP who can't find the after-burner button... Game mechanic question.
    Yet for some pointless reason you decided to waste space by outlining powerboard basics that even every idiot (A title that certainly does NOT apply to OP) already knows. And if that was not enough you did so with a pathetic attitude designed to belittle OP. (Which of course backfired as you missed OP's original point and gave incorrect advice to begin with)

Lets check again... the OP asked about the flames and SPEED BOOST the 'other players' were getting. That after-burner button. The one that doesn't exist.

You appear to have been so keen to pick a fight with me, you didn't bother actually reading the post you claim to be defending. Well done.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    There are no afterburners. There is no afterburner button. If you floor it with the board a second or so before the race starts, you can shoot out the gates far ahead of other players who clearly haven't played a game of Mario Kart in their lives.

The flame affect you see from boards is just animation. It is not a speed boost. The only boosts you receive are from jumping ramps and hitting speed boosters, resulting in an aura that appears around the player indicating that they received a speed boost.
  • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Really, lets check that shall we...

Hmm looks like a statement to me, that 'other' p;ayers are getting a 'speed boost' compared to those like the OP who can't find the after-burner button... Game mechanic question.

Lets check again... the OP asked about the flames and SPEED BOOST the 'other players' were getting. That after-burner button. The one that doesn't exist.

You appear to have been so keen to pick a fight with me, you didn't bother actually reading the post you claim to be defending. Well done.

I don't really want to get into this but I realize that it takes several people to break past the smug, self-satisfied arrogance of forum trolls and send them running with their collective tails tucked between their legs. So, for the good of forumites everywhere I have come to assist. ;)

As I have taken up a new policy of not verbally responding to trolls I shall simply drop one of my default responses here and let it do the talking for me.

http://youtu.be/9hyrQzhU08w

:D
    edited June 2015

Touche Demonicaesthetic, touche. I will grant you that OP did say this, though reading his other comments clearly shows why he made the mistake. The "burners"never light for him, but do light on others which is, I admit, an odd bug. Therefore it probably seemed logical to him that this was some feature he did not understand. So he came here for help.

Yes he could have asked in zone chat, but I'm sure even you would admit that that is practically pointless during a busy event. All he would have gotten are a bunch of trolls on Risa zone chat telling him all sorts of fake advice. For example just today I saw a new player ask in zone where you get lobi. After a minute several people had convinced him there was a daily for it in the form of a doff mission. Before I or any decent person could chime in he was already off to Drozana where they said the mission would pop up if he waited ten mins until noon. So ok, yes he was gullible but it points out the kind of in game "help" you often get in event zones or worse ESD (shudders at the thought). So OP probably came to the forums for a straight answer.

And what does he get, extreme and childish condescension. Or did you think rewording his post in baby script would make him smile? Would it have killed you to be polite or just not respond? Nevermind, I think I know your answer and the question was rhetorical anyway.

So did I pick a fight with you? Yes and no. You picked a fight with OP merely with your attitude and then I, perhaps foolishly, decided to jump in and defend him. Why would I bother? Because in the year and three quarters I have played STO I have watched the forums become increasingly toxic to people who just ask innocent questions. And I have gotten sick of it. So, after a year of being a silent lurker I decided to actually try to help people who were confused and make them feel welcome here when so many others did not. This occured in that particularly "fun" time for forumites when DR launched. And in the eight months since things just keep getting worse.

Several people in particular seem to show up just to be rude. I won't deny that I do not know your full posting history, but I have silently observed several threads where you seem to think it is your job to make people look dumb and in doing so make them feel bad and be less likely to return here. So again why did you post here? If you think a thread is dumb ignore it at let more patient people try and help. Otherwise you just contribute to the toxicity STO is famous for. If, by improbable chance, I am mis-characterizing you then you have my honest and sincere apologies as I am not here to intentionally add to the afore mentioned toxicity myself.

Now, as for this thread...I'd say that it's dead. :cool: OP has his answer, or as close to it as he can get without a dev fixing his graphics bug. Feel free to respond but I imagine, since I've said my piece, I won't be back here myself. Instead I will browse the forum looking for those who need help or to add to actually constructive threads. All I'll conclude with is the sentiment; "If ever you get stuck, may others be as kind to you."

As such, and until next time, happy gaming. :)

PS: Sorry to all for the wall o' text. Verbosity is just in my nature.:D