test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Grab the flag still is a stinker

theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
Now even more with these new beasty boards. Smashed right trough the 3rd flag (maniacally torturing the "f" key of course) & got disqualified for leaving the track.
Post edited by theanothername on

Comments

• lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Tip, deactivate the board right before you reach the flag.
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Honestly, if you leave the board trying to get the flag, you should get Disqualified. In a motocross race, riders don't get off their bikes to get across the finish line. a.) they would get DQ'd, and b.) it's unsafe.

As an edit, surfers don't leave their boards during a contest, or they get DQ'd.

I think there needs more defined DQ rules, like going out of bounds and leaving your board should result in an immediate DQ. For those that keep blowing past the flags, slow down just a little to give yourself more time to grab the flag. Many times I have seen people jump off their board just before the finish and grab the flag.

BTW, I never leave the board during a race, and have yet to go out of bounds. I have always been able to grab a flag while on the board at the finish of a race. There is no excuse, and there should be DQs issued for those that cheat.
  • lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    dragnridr wrote: »
    Honestly, if you leave the board trying to get the flag, you should get Disqualified. In a motocross race, riders don't get off their bikes to get across the finish line. a.) they would get DQ'd, and b.) it's unsafe.

As an edit, surfers don't leave their boards during a contest, or they get DQ'd.

I think there needs more defined DQ rules, like going out of bounds and leaving your board should result in an immediate DQ. For those that keep blowing past the flags, slow down just a little to give yourself more time to grab the flag. Many times I have seen people jump off their board just before the finish and grab the flag.

BTW, I never leave the board during a race, and have yet to go out of bounds. I have always been able to grab a flag while on the board at the finish of a race. There is no excuse, and there should be DQs issued for those that cheat.

There is no out of bounds, the buoys are guides, it is even explained so, when you -really- go out, you get DQed for leaving track.

As for the flag finish, quite frankly, the flag system is irritating enough, no need to make it even more so, god knows why Cryptic can't just make the finish line a... you know, finish line.
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • rist30rist30 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited June 2015

motocross riders don't need to pick a flag to claim their position AFTER passing finish line... :P
  • dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    rist30 wrote: »
    motocross riders don't need to pick a flag to claim their position AFTER passing finish line... :P

They why have the race at all? Why not just run the damn thing? Give the players an inch, they'll take a mile.
  • millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Tip, deactivate the board right before you reach the flag.
    Yes, keep doing this.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • zenn3kzenn3k Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Just fix it so its an actual finish line. This click to finish TRIBBLE is moronic. The backwards ship is moronic as well. Its hard to believe a company struggling to maintain membership could just casually ruin their own summer event.
  • agentdunnagentdunn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Lots of things are wrong with the race
    The scramble for the flag at the end is not the worst, personally find the broken boost system in need of a fix. Player A is in the lead and hits a ramp, no boost, player B in second place hits the same ramp and boosts past player A? Or the worse, A and B hit the same ramp, player A gets the boost but B does not? Both of these have happened to me in the past and it takes all the skill out of the race if a RNG is in charge of weather you get a speed boost which could win you the race or not.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Grab the flag still is a stinker

Yupp ... .

... BIG TIME ...
  • dakotadahotnessdakotadahotness Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Take out the stupid flag issue that has been an issue for a long time. Change the program so it counts the players position at the finish and awards the place. That way Lag, Discoballs, groups of players standing around the flags jumping up and down and anything else that can be thought of by people to wreck the fun of other players will be taken care of.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    zenn3k wrote: »
    Just fix it so its an actual finish line. This click to finish TRIBBLE is moronic.

It is due to the simple fact that your position is both rendered through the client and the server which is why rubberbanding exists. So that person that you see right behind you can actually be in front of you. Clicking on an object gives the server a clear indication who won. So while a finish line would be better, it is just not possible with STO.
    edited June 2015
    agentdunn wrote: »
    The scramble for the flag at the end is not the worst, personally find the broken boost system in need of a fix.
    The jumps themselves slow you down. It would be horrendously obvious without the boost. You're better off avoiding most, if not all, of them.
  • jocelyn2jocelyn2 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2015

In a motorcross race, no biker has to catch a flag in the middle of the track. It could result in serious injuries or even death.
    [SIGPIC] [/SIGPIC]
    I will always choose a lazy person to do a difficult job...

...because he will find an easy way to do it.

-Bill Gates
    edited June 2015
    jocelyn2 wrote: »
    It could result in serious injuries or even death.
    I doubt it. Any motorcross I've watched wasn't impressive but for the viewer's knowledge of the sport. None of the common terrain features seem like they would be more dangerous for having to grab a flag.
    edited June 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    It is due to the simple fact that your position is both rendered through the client and the server which is why rubberbanding exists. So that person that you see right behind you can actually be in front of you. Clicking on an object gives the server a clear indication who won. So while a finish line would be better, it is just not possible with STO.

You sir, are incredibly wrong.

While I understand rubberbanding exists and would influence the results to a degree, there are checkpoints throughout the race that can easily be tracking time as you progress through the track, not to mention the server is already keeping time for the events in the first place.

It would be very easy to make it this way, it can ONLY be a conscious decision to make it the way it is, I suspect a misguided attempt to "balance" all the boards available in the race, which is dumb, don't have faster ones if you're going to go to this stupid degree to balance them out. I'd rather they were all the same and just looked different.
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited June 2015

While I understand rubberbanding exists and would influence the results to a degree, there are checkpoints throughout the race that can easily be tracking time as you progress through the track, not to mention the server is already keeping time for the events in the first place.

It would be very easy to make it this way, it can ONLY be a conscious decision to make it the way it is, I suspect a misguided attempt to "balance" all the boards available in the race, which is dumb, don't have faster ones if you're going to go to this stupid degree to balance them out. I'd rather they were all the same and just looked different.

You sir are emphatically wrong! What you see, and what the server sees can sometime be two entirely different things.

I have run races with Fleet mates who are talking to me o TS. We are in the same race, in the same instance, and running almost side by side, yet sometimes neither of us can actually even see the other for half the race due to server lag!

The forums would be flooded far, far more by "I won the race not him" posts if they had a simple "finish line" as many suggest. Also having a superior board does NOT guarantee you a win. I have seen several races where players on the rental boards have won, simply because they are more skilled.

There is not so much difference in the performance of the boards, that a skilled player cannot overcome the difference. I'm afraid I cannot agree with your assessments.

It may not be a "perfect" system, but grabbing the flag is a "workable" solution, and how many posts do you see from players complaining that they actually got a higher place than they should, because they managed to grab the flag before another player?

"Snipe" the flag is quite popular on Risa, but it's strange that those who win this way aren't complaining hmmm?
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
    edited June 2015

The thing is that what you would consider to be very easy to program can be far more complex. Since everything is being rendered on the client side, then what I see is different from what you see. As I said before, "that person that you see right behind you can actually be in front of you". So if you pass the finish line first, but that person gets first place, is that fair? Grabbing the flag at the end makes it very clear who got first place and who didn't.
    edited June 2015
    The thing is that what you would consider to be very easy to program can be far more complex. Since everything is being rendered on the client side, then what I see is different from what you see. As I said before, "that person that you see right behind you can actually be in front of you". So if you pass the finish line first, but that person gets first place, is that fair? Grabbing the flag at the end makes it very clear who got first place and who didn't.

That doesn't matter. If the client side position is being checked, you could simply compare times at the end to determine the winner.

Lag effects who clicks the object at the end of the race VASTLY more than if effects players position on the map anyway. The current system is MORE unfair to laggy systems than simple clock recording your time.
    edited June 2015
    That doesn't matter. If the client side position is being checked, you could simply compare times at the end to determine the winner.

Lag effects who clicks the object at the end of the race VASTLY more than if effects players position on the map anyway. The current system is MORE unfair to laggy systems than simple clock recording your time.

As I said before, "what you would consider to be very easy to program can be far more complex". Which is why I have a problem with backseat coders. If Cryptic could go with the finish line system, then they would, but they went with the flag since it is easier. Wasting a few days to figure out how to get the finish line working properly is a poor use of the dev's time.
  • willamsheridanwillamsheridan Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Clicking on an object gives the server a clear indication who won. So while a finish line would be better, it is just not possible with STO.

WRONG. Clicking on an Object gives the server a clear indication who clicked on that object first, not who won. If i have a fast poweboard, cross the line first but can't stop fast enough then the 2nd or 3rd contestant can get the 1st place flag. And since 2nd, 3rd, 4th and so on.. flags all appear in slightly different locations even the second might end up as 4th or 5th because the 4th could reach the location of the 2nd flag sooner.

Yes it would be fair if the finish line was an actual finish line. Even if, due to rubberbanding, i think i am the first but i am not thats no problem. Why? Because in that case the fastest player wins. No matter if i think i am the fastest, the server knows best. It better than coming in 1st but ending up as 3rd or 4th because i didn't grab a stupid flag fast enough
    edited June 2015
    WRONG. Clicking on an Object gives the server a clear indication who clicked on that object first, not who won. If i have a fast poweboard, cross the line first but can't stop fast enough then the 2nd or 3rd contestant can get the 1st place flag. And since 2nd, 3rd, 4th and so on.. flags all appear in slightly different locations even the second might end up as 4th or 5th because the 4th could reach the location of the 2nd flag sooner.

Yes it would be fair if the finish line was an actual finish line. Even if, due to rubberbanding, i think i am the first but i am not thats no problem. Why? Because in that case the fastest player wins. No matter if i think i am the fastest, the server knows best. It better than coming in 1st but ending up as 3rd or 4th because i didn't grab a stupid flag fast enough

Cryptic has defined the rules of the race. One of them being, grabbing the flag at the end of the race. Therefore, the first one that grabs the flag wins not the first one that crosses the finish line since we are playing a game where Cryptic sets the rules not us.
    edited June 2015
    And then some productive jerk finds a way to hack it. Before some other jerk finds a better way to hack it, such that their finish times aren't suspect.