test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

why so hostile to new players?

Comments

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I only borrowed his coin analogy, I made no claims it was a good analogy.
    You didn't borrow it, you applied it wrong.

He didn't state that someone could at will make new coins. He said that it was one collector having a coin and another not. You changed the analogy and claimed it was more like one collector that could create coins at will and another that couldn't. So you made your own analogy, and I point out how it's flawed.

You could unlock the event ships for your account. That is the coin. The ship on one character - that's not the coin. That's just a particular use for the coin.

The only way you could access to the event ship was being there for the events it was available, and the only way you could get it also meant that now it's an account unlock.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The coin collector analogy is completely inapplicable anyway. Real world items aren't "bound to character." Nobody needs to have "been there" in 1948 to get a 1948 coin, because you can always buy one from someone else.
  • qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Personally I expect new things each time an event comes around, and it's disappointing when a company foists the same TRIBBLE they had the previous year.

moving away from the expected is a pleasant surprise, this ferengi ship is a little stroke of genius. it may not be to everyone's taste.. i love it love, but then i love the D'Kora and the Galor.. but i think the decision to go a different direction is a pretty bold statement. looking forward to seeing what else this new chap is able to draw from the team.
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    warpangel wrote: »
    The coin collector analogy is completely inapplicable anyway. Real world items aren't "bound to character." Nobody needs to have "been there" in 1948 to get a 1948 coin, because you can always buy one from someone else.

I could give the coin to someone else, but than I won't have it anymore until he gives it back.
    I colud give someone else my account information, and then he could use that ship on any character on that account, but I couldn'T, until he logged out and I log back in.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Okay, let's try this one.

My favorite band, Rush, is probably on their last tour ever. (The guys are getting a little long in the tooth, and Neil Peart in particular is left hurting badly after every concert thanks to his intense drumming style.) I've never been able to attend a Rush concert, because I seem to be allergic to marijuana smoke, which I'm given to understand is not an uncommon thing in the audience. And when they come to my town next month, I'm also going to be way too broke to buy a ticket.

I will, therefore, never own an authentic tour T-shirt signed by the band, no matter how badly I want one (which is pretty damned badly). Should I then be butthurt that other people have them?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • seiberkagenekoseiberkageneko Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    qziqza wrote: »
    you say it was implied and understood, i say it was assumed and hoped for. if players chose to take the ships for granted and expected nothing to change, when the games history has clearly shown this is never the case. personally, i cant help but feel this expectation is misguided, maybe even irrational and very much bordering on naivety.

You say assumed and hope for, and I'll give you that. However, after two years, TWO YEARS of them offering the ability to work for them, can you not see how this is a kick in the teeth for anyone that didn't get them? And it's not as if they came out after the winter festival and said "We didn't like the way people got the carrier so fast and then grinded for the photos, so we're retiring the pearls and taking away the old ships". No, they waited for a few weeks before the summer festival when people were gearing up for the grind only to have the wind taken out of their sails, and then the canvas cut and the oars broken before they could even have an attempt.

THAT is what people are angry about.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    sorry just checking, you did get that the player you replied too was saying.. yeah cool, i'm really excited about the event, Ferengi ship and the new pet..?

"I don't feel anybody is hostile toward me. A bit shame, sure"

that alone is enough to warrant a response. hostile or not, thing change shame or not, new player or not.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • sanusisanusisanusisanusi Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    See, this is where analogies fail so often by not being very good in the first place and by the user flogging their rotting corpses until they explode...

Your post would have been a closer analogy if you'd said

"Well my wife, kids, and dog can get their own identical sets free of charge because I have mine in the safe"

Still, I admire your attempt to justify your position with a lame inaccurate analogy, so I'll give you a very generous 4/10 for effort.

This is a one time 'bound to character on pickup' limited offer that will not be available again to your alts, either in an event store or via the lobi consortium...

It looks like you're letting your emotions get the better of you. Take deep breaths, it's just a friendly discussion.

In my 4/10 analogy my wife, kids and dogs do not get identical sets free of charge. They get to enjoy the coins and then put them back until the next person wants to enjoy them. Further, any future members of the family get the same rights and privileges. Take out the coins, enjoy, replace. No two members of my family are able to take the same coins at the exact same time and do different things with them.

This is obviously completely different from STO where multiple people can log into a single account at the same time and each play one of the characters and fly the same Risian ship. I tip my hat to you, good sir. Well played.

Oh, wait...
    sig2.jpg
  • guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited June 2015

that alone is enough to warrant a response. hostile or not, thing change shame or not, new player or not.

Why? If not that all noise some of people make, I wouldn't give those Risan ships a second thought. I don't even think I know what they look like, and never bothered to check.

It is a bit shame that it's something I wouldn't have, but I pretty much don't care. I can have other things. So please be so kind and don't make me another whiner, k? :P

You extracted three words from a whole message, misinterpreted them, and made them a point that I was not making. Quite the opposite.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The Dev's placate worked on you. You might want to boost your countermeasures a bit.

It was a move to split the outrage and do just what you are doing and turn them against each other instead of the Devs.

Retiring ships, that have been available for years, that are for this year purchasable with the to-be-retired-yearly currency, for the sake of exclusivity, is a shallow move and they should be called on it.

I don't have the Risian ships or the Obelisk carrier, or a red matter capacitor. Cryptic did give me 2 FREE T6 ships in the last year (Breen and Kobali) and is giving me another FREE T6 ship soon.

Cryptic never promised us access to old event ships forever, they didn't betray us. New players will get new FREE T6 ships in new events. If they aren't whiny entitled babies they won't rage about not also being able to get FREE old ships from old events.

If Cryptic decides to put old ships in the Lobi store, great. If not, that's fine too.

The only valid exceptions I can think of are console sets and hangar pets. Even though many console sets aren't worth using Cryptic should put ships or consoles needed for sets in the lobi store, same with ships or hangar pet unlocks (Breen frigates).
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    You do recall that they were doing that long before the game went F2P. Originally the TOS Connie was exclusive to pre-order offers from GameStop but later sold on the C-Store for I think 400 Cryptic Points before the game went F2P and converted to Zen.

Yup, certainly. Just linking a fun comic that demonstrates what the person I was replying to was talking about. No more, no less.

Injecting some levity into the thread.
    edited June 2015

yup, stuff moves on for sure :)

i just wanted to make sure you understood that the player you replied to wasn't complaining or arguing, in fact i'm pretty sure it was a new player disagreeing with the OP's premise that this move is hostile to new players...

i don't feel as though anyone is hostile towards me. (I don't really get the thread title)

a bit of a shame sure. (maybe would have been nice but, its really not an issue)

excited about the new ship and the pet. (yay, bring on the ferengi pewpew, aww isnt the kitty cute)
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I don't really get all the people that claim that some old ships not being available to new players will make those players feel bad. New players get a frickin' T6 brand new account-wide ship for free, there is people who *paid money* for C-Store ships that are comparably worse now.

If I were a new player starting right now and being able to obtain a top-tier account-wide ship with the newest features (pilot seats), I don't really think I would complain for not being able to get an older, low tier, obsolete ship, just for the visuals.

I don't think you get anything like that in any other MMO btw...
    ryuga81.png
  • abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Every MMO does this, they have events that allow you to get exclusive items that are then unavailable unless you already have them. Yes it kind of suck being a new player coming into an MMO and seeing what you missed out on, but that's life. It's no different then events in real life that award attendees limited edition and exclusive items that are then no longer available, you don't see people whining about not being able to get these items because they didn't attend do you....oh, wait.....you do, like all the time. Okay carry on with your complaining, it's nothing new.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I don't really get all the people that claim that some old ships not being available to new players will make those players feel bad.
    You're obviously not a collector. I'd feel bad about it if I was a new player. I feel bad for the new players just out of sympathy.

On the other hand, there apparently are some people who feel good about new players not being able to get those "obsolete" ships. I also feel bad that people like that are getting "rewarded" at other people's expense.
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    abaddon653 wrote: »
    Every MMO does this, they have events that allow you to get exclusive items that are then unavailable unless you already have them. Yes it kind of suck being a new player coming into an MMO and seeing what you missed out on, but that's life. It's no different then events in real life that award attendees limited edition and exclusive items that are then no longer available, you don't see people whining about not being able to get these items because they didn't attend do you....oh, wait.....you do, like all the time. Okay carry on with your complaining, it's nothing new.

How many run the event for years, allowing you to maintain progress over those years, and then just before the next event jump out and yell "Gotcha!"?
    You're obviously not a collector. I'd feel bad about it if I was a new player. I feel bad for the new players just out of sympathy.

On the other hand, there apparently are some people who feel good about new players not being able to get those "obsolete" ships. I also feel bad that people like that are getting "rewarded" at other people's expense.

I'd rather see rank upon rank of Corvettes than those Q-awful Scimitars. I like the Corvette. Everyone else having one doesn't diminish mine.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • induperatorinduperator Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    After we literally had a massive event to bring in new players and offer them massive bonuses?

Seriously?

People on here were arguing a few months ago that Cryptic is TRIBBLE Older players over by giving the new players "Exclusive bonuses" and now the opposite is true?

This is like the time we had two threads on "Players level too fast" and "Levelling is too slow" at exactly the same time.

The people on these forums make me want to stomp on a kitten.
    edited June 2015
    After we literally had a massive event to bring in new players and offer them massive bonuses?

Seriously?

People on here were arguing a few months ago that Cryptic is TRIBBLE Older players over by giving the new players "Exclusive bonuses" and now the opposite is true?

This is like the time we had two threads on "Players level too fast" and "Levelling is too slow" at exactly the same time.

I did a search and couldn't find it, but there was a fun article about mmo players complaining about everything not too long ago. It specifically mentioned a game that had a real money auctionhouse where your listing fee was not refunded if your item posting expired. The devs removed that and people complained.

Its not just here. Every game forum is full of people saying their game is the worst.
  • tigercatgirltigercatgirl Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I don't see your problem? It says if you earn an event ship you will then be able to claim it on any charcter on your account for free. Additionally, the character who earned the ship can discard and reclaim it as much as you want, the others may only claim it once (that's what I read into it, speculation. Maybe they want to encourage multiple grind? Id on't know).

If it's about the fact that old ships are retired: Yes, past events are... past. Over. Gone. Deal with it.

Ok then lets get rid of the red matter cap, and other things that can no longer be gotten. Lets get rid of them permanently too!
    While we are at it lets get rid of the cheats that certain people have, that others cannot. If you got to have mulitple omni beams before the fix patch how is that fair? How is that balanced?
    So you cannot see the problem?

Two of these ships had special items that came with them. Items that are needed for sets to be complete. These sets are still available in the game for even new players to try to aquire. But they will soon realize that they cannot finish the set because the final peice is on a ship they cannot get. Also putting it in the lobi store to force them to buy and open lock boxes is stupid, the rest of us didn't have to do it...why should they be penalized.

Another point is they wanted you to buy more ship slots. How do you buy more ship slots when you can now delete it and just re-aquire it? This is basically the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. Or better yet the right hand is giving you candy while the left is slicing its own wrist. This is just what we've been seeing since DR began coming out...so lets look out how its happened.
    1) boffs can now learn any ability. You do not have to buy extra boff spaces...because you wont need them. There were special boff only abilites and so you had to look for that boff and add them to your roster. You would need to buy more boff spaces.
    2) R&D revamp: This made uncommon, and rare items useless. This also made any reward you got useless as you leveled. This is the same mistake cryptic made in Neverwinter...and I saw it coming. They way they thought people would use the R&D system is not how people are using it....saw that one too.
    3) Added ten new levels but they cost the same amount of experience as the first 50 you had to do. And they cut their wrist by getting rid of the level system, because they added specializations. Having a level doesn't matter. Even scaling you down to a level wont matter because it doesn't effect your specializations. When your fighting in the lower level battlezones you still get your specializations...so your at an advantage. Game balance got thrown right out the window....saw that coming too...because they did that in Neverwinter.
    4) T6 ships with a power escalation that rivals the Dragon Ball Z cartoon. Every few months a new super sayian level and new abilites are released. Free or new people are like Krillan, Yamcha, Tien Shinhan and Chiaotzu and feel useless like them.
    5) Cryptic created ship loadouts to create new ship builds. To entice people to try something other than dps builds. Then they nerfed most builds by giving Npc's x10 the hit points. This made any tetyron build useless as the special proc now is like scratching the paint. What good is 350pts to each shield facing when the ship has 50,000 points per facing? With big battles with NPC ships helping you, mostly you just let them fight and become a bystander, unless your playing a high dps build.
    That is just one of many things upping NPC hp did.

This isn't just at one person, this is for all those people who say, "they do not see the problem", because many of us do see them. The problems keep coming and coming and they are beginning to create a big pile.
    I and many others want this game to last, and keep going. I want to see new people join and like helping them out. I want them to get the older ships and fly them around. One may even figure out some cool new build by flying them.
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Another point is they wanted you to buy more ship slots. How do you buy more ship slots when you can now delete it and just re-aquire it? This is basically the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. Or better yet the right hand is giving you candy while the left is slicing its own wrist. This is just what we've been seeing since DR began coming out...so lets look out how its happened.

Fleet ships.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Fleet ships.
    Yeah. Fleet ships, Lockbox ships, Lobi Store ships. There will always be a need for additional Ship Slots for some players.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    How many run the event for years, allowing you to maintain progress over those years, and then just before the next event jump out and yell "Gotcha!"?

I'd rather see rank upon rank of Corvettes than those Q-awful Scimitars. I like the Corvette. Everyone else having one doesn't diminish mine.
    They don't. Usually they tell you to either do it now or never do it. They might add some way to get it later, but it's not the same as doing the event that unlocked it the first time.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    In my head, I am visualizing the scene in Spaceballs where the bad guys are watching the Spaceballs video tape to figure where to find the good guys and they hit the part of the movie where they are at the present part of the film.

Heck, I have 7 million experience points that most were skill points that hit the level cap. I am not crying about not being able to use those for the new specialization system.

Seriously, OP, Cryptic isn't being hostile to any players for the way the ships are being acquired. The guy under your bed isnt the boogeyman, he is just a stalker, and life sucks sometimes, wear a helmet.
    edited June 2015

oh this is just getting silly now.. i must have everything!! i have yet to see a single post from a new player who is even slightly upset by this situation. i have never started playing a new game and thought to myself.. well this sucks, and is so unfair, why cant i have access the limited or special event stuff i wasnt here to get.

do i feel bad for new players that cant get the old ships.. of course not why should i? do i feel happy that they cant get the old ships.. of course not why would i? because it is a total non issue, the only people needing tissues are those players who didnt bother taking advantage of the events while they were running.. simple as that.

some people are trying really hard to make this look like concern for new players..

new players, thats those new people that are happily running around Risa as we speak, making merry in sunshine with the dancing the surfing and the flying around with jet packs. constantly looking over at that shiny T6 Ferengi ship thinking 'oh yes, you will be mine, and i will love you and keep you and fly you for ever'

.. and while there are some that are really asking 'what about the new players, most are being disingenuous and just looking for another angle to try and get what they want. standing up and saying 'hey, what about me?' is all well and good, but the moment it changes to 'hey, what about the poor new players?' as an angle.. well that's just not cricket.
    tYld1gu.gif?1
  • abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Poor kitten, what did it do to deserve your wrath :(
  • induperatorinduperator Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    abaddon653 wrote: »
    Poor kitten, what did it do to deserve your wrath :(

Well It vomits on the floor and defecates wherever it pleases.
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    By "hostile" you mean "can't have this thing"? I don't think you are using "hostile" properly, though I get your point.

The part where all these analogies fall apart is that, if I wanted a coin or a t-shirt, I could probably buy them. The head scratcher in all this is "why isn't Cryptic selling these older items to us?". Put them in the Lobi store. Ships, DOFFs, equipment, whatever. I'm sure someone would buy them.
    edited June 2015
    At this point the old Risian ships are non-issue. The event is live, Cryptic has offered all the consolation prizes and olive branches it's going to, and continuing to bleat on about it isn't going to do anything for anyone. Why not just grab some trunks, a surfboard, and a mai tai and just go hit the beach? The place is hopping (and far from the "ghost town" some no doubt wish it was) and its high time we had some fun.

indeed :) and as far as olive branches go, its been a pretty fruitful one, and as far as a free ship goes.. not only is it a good trait loaded 6 seater, with some pilot seating to boot, it also comes with a fully loaded D'Kora bridge, including access to the exchange, full banking facilities and mail.. not to mention the lovely leeta, so if any new players are needing tissues, it wont be for tears of sadness lol
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    edited June 2015
    indeed :) and as far as olive branches go, its been a pretty fruitful one, and as far as a free ship goes.. not only is it a good trait loaded 6 seater, with some pilot seating to boot, it also comes with a fully loaded D'Kora bridge, including access to the exchange, full banking facilities and mail.. not to mention the lovely leeta, so if any new players are needing tissues, it wont be for tears of sadness lol

I don't think that's what she intends when she says"hands off the hologram" ~.^