test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Sandcastles on Risa..how?

rickpaaarickpaaa Member Posts: 637 Arc User
I have been all over the beach looking for a spot. I think I find spots that are already claimed alright as there is nothing for me to click. Is this event for for the few lucky people?
giphy.gif
Member since December 2009

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    xtern1tyxtern1ty Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    the beach, NE of the resort, there's a sandcastle guy you talk to outside the balcony. If you need step by step directions or want a guide, just drop by our help channel and ask. Simply type in your chat:

/channel_join XTERN1TY
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    rickpaaa wrote: »
    I have been all over the beach looking for a spot. I think I find spots that are already claimed alright as there is nothing for me to click. Is this event for for the few lucky people?
    xtern1ty wrote: »
    the beach, NE of the resort, there's a sandcastle guy you talk to outside the balcony. If you need step by step directions or want a guide, just drop by our help channel and ask. Simply type in your chat:

/channel_join XTERN1TY

If it's at all like last year, you have to have the event "mission" in order to build a sand castle. Not sure it's necessary to actually go visit "sandcastle guy". There should be an interaction button when the event is live, similar to when the hunt is available yet you don't have to actually visit the contact to start it. Don't recall for sure (and not in-game to check).

Hopefully they have added more locations since last year, as it can be very difficult to find an open spot when a lot of players are active. "Click-stealing" was pretty rampant.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I did get the event active, but I think there are way too few spots to work with along with way too many participants.

So what is fair game? Is a bucket with boundaries open or closed? if not open, what does an open space look like? I tried clicking on one, and could find no node on which to click.
    giphy.gif

• Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    rickpaaa wrote: »
    I did get the event active, but I think there are way too few spots to work with along with way too many participants.

So what is fair game? Is a bucket with boundaries open or closed? if not open, what does an open space look like? I tried clicking on one, and could find no node on which to click.

Your best bet is to pick a spot on the eastern beach and stay there until it opens up. It's farther away from where people spawn in, so slightly less competition.

The site should have the normal interact animation (on the bucket, I think?) when it's available. If you don't see that, someone's probably working the site and it can take awhile to collect the stuff for each stage.

Unfortunately, there are no lines/queues and just like the winter event it is entirely possible to "click-steal" a spot.

Sounds like they didn't add any new locations, which is a shame.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I guess I will do what I did last year, and pass on everything except for the hoverpack daily for the ship.

Thank you very much for being so helpful! :D
    giphy.gif

• Options
    gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    No need to pass on events, you can destroy a castle if the former builder did not clean up their mess.
    Better to fly or scoot around using ice boots to scout out openings.

This map is from 2013 so it does not show the newer 2105 or 2015 buildings.

Look for spots along the stretch of beach along Tower Bay, by the light house.

Festival info.
    Joined STO in September 2010.
  • Options
    geminisierrageminisierra Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    There's a few buckets on the beach between the lighthouse and the resort and between the Promeade and the arch bridge...
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    btw, does it hightlight potential areas on the map when you have that quest active?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Thanks for asking this, I too had problems with the mini game.

BTW, what ship is that in your sig?
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • Options
    emperormakemperormak Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    btw, does it hightlight potential areas on the map when you have that quest active?

Nope. It sure would be nice if it did though.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    tarran61 wrote: »

BTW, what ship is that in your sig?

It's a little bit Tor'Kaht, Vor'cha, and Vor'kang.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Fleet_Tor'Kaht_Battle_Cruiser_Retrofit
    giphy.gif

• Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    What I can't understand is WHY for the love of Spock they don't add more spots!!!

There is an absolute maximum number of player that can be in any instance at one time, and there are (I believe) 75 Instances of Risa, and miles and miles of (virtual) beach. Why there are only a handful of spots is totally beyond me!

If they want the castles to be visible in more "populated" areas only, then why not spread out some of the amenities, or how about adding an "island Tour" event/function/accolade so as to encourage players to "fly around?
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    bendalek wrote: »
    What I can't understand is WHY for the love of Spock they don't add more spots!!!

I thought they added more Sand Castle building lots last year. I am not sure if it "reverted" to the "before extra spots were added" Risa map this year, or what.

To OP: I am having a heck of a time finding Sand Castle Building Lots on my new Delta Recruits, too. So, it isn't just you.

My fleetmate informs me they have more people per instance, too. So, they may need to expand the number of sand castle building lots to compensate, again.
    bendalek wrote: »
    how about adding an "island Tour" event/function/accolade so as to encourage players to "fly around?

There are accolades for touring around Risa, and there is, also, accolades from Pavyl to collect. Oh and the "View Birds".
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    My advice is just to wait until Monday and after and find a low pop instance. I think the reason they don't add more spots is that they are only necessary for the first few days and maybe first 2 weekends.

Also, as a note, you can not destroy castles until you get the accolade.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    subzer0d1videsubzer0d1vide Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I find it impossible to build sand castles and can't find ANY instructions ANYWHERE - WTF?
    ...and NO, I don't want to join a channel. I just want some written out instructions on how to play - that is what we're supposed to do, right?
    --

"The higher the fewer."
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I find it impossible to build sand castles and can't find ANY instructions ANYWHERE - WTF?
    ...and NO, I don't want to join a channel. I just want some written out instructions on how to play - that is what we're supposed to do, right?

This game doesn't even explain how much damage you deal or what your defenses are. All they give is vague numbers and pseudo-instructions but actually you have to figure out/calculate everything yourself.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    fu11ofstarsfu11ofstars Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    There is a prompt, like the Horga'hn hunt, where you can pick up the sand castle building mission remotely. Yu can also visit the Arenologist near the Promenade. You can get the mission from him. You also turn it into him when you're done.

One note: To get the bonus rewards, there is no reason to build a castle during the event. You can build one any time you want. You do have to turn the mission in during the event. I usually build one after the Horga'hn hunt when I've got some spare time. I've never had to wait for a spot.

You don't need any extra equipment (I've seen some questions about this in game). You just pick up the mission, and then head to one of the sand pails on the beach. They'll be all glowy like other objects you can interact with. You'll then follow the instructions. The whole thing is timed, so you have to be careful.

One other note: When you're getting sand, the bigger patches will usually get you 75% of what you need. The smaller patches get you 25%. I think there are some that get you 50%. I usually try to get 75% and then 25%. It seems faster.

Hope that all helps.
  • Options
    freakiumfreakium Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    There are currently 5 sandcastle plots. 2 are on the beach southeast of the resort and 3 are south of the promenade.

You can either fly back and forth with a floater and swoop in on an open plot or wait at one of the sandcastles until it crumbles.
    m12Pkoj.png
  • Options
    tiriusavarotiriusavaro Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    westmetals wrote: »
    (there are three spots that there can be one within the visible area of the beach, and two more "around the corner" toward the resort).

There is also a sixth spot near the Promenade. The full list, as far as I know, is:
    • 2 spots east of the resort
    • 3 spots south of the promenade
    • 1 spot north of the promenade
    Vice Admiral Tirius Avara'o | U.S.S. Mistral (Fleet Star Cruiser)
    Vice Admiral Mathrias | U.S.S. Utrecht (Blockade Runner Retrofit)
    Vide Admiral Kyurin | U.S.S. Cairhien (Fleet Dreadnought Cruiser)
    Vice Admiral Kiarl Leftrin | U.S.S. Aegir (Fleet Recon Science Vessel)
    --= Starfleet Strategic Command =--
  • Options
    drazursouthclawdrazursouthclaw Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    No, you shouldn't do the sand castles because it's first come first served, because the devs are either lazy, or hate us, or both. The devs would rather take away all our Pearls than make the mini-'games' fun, or even non-****ty. You can tell, because that's exactly what they did.

So, now you have your written instructions on how to play, posted by others.

Now you can look forward to bad luck ("because it sure wasn't ****ty design" - Cryptic) ruining your Risa experience. Don't forget, if you are one of the lucky ones, to gloat about how easy it is, and about how much that means that everyone else 'obviously isn't even trying'.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I'd like to ask anyone building a sandcastle to use the site-to-site transport to transport to either one of the spots after finishing the castle as this will immedeatly make your castle go poof and free the space :)
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    westmetals wrote: »
    Anyone who's gotten the accolade - which I think requires building five to seven sand castles - can kick them over, too.

Not immedeatly, though. It takes like two minutes for the castle to become "abandoned". If the finished people teleport it's insta-poof and very friendly towards other players :)
    lFC4bt2.gif