test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Call in Artillery Support Command Power

diggingcrumpetdiggingcrumpet Member Posts: 88 Bug Hunter
Hi community,

I have been running Call in Artillery Support command power for quiet a few weeks. Something I have noticed and question, is when the bombers warp in, they tend to release the artillery around my ship, not my selected target.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Cryptic?

Thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,827 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Really wish they'd look at this ability...
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    This ability could have been so much better. As it is, it's worthless. A lot of the space command powers need looking at though, to be honest. :(
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Yeah, it looks like they're wasting half their payload on my ship before reaching the target. This might just be visual though. Don't know if the DOT is actually watered down or not.
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    They actually begin a carpet bombing run all the way to their target.

The problem though is that they don't bomb past their maximum range, so if your target moves out the final bit of bombing doesn't hit them.

They're best used on slow targets following behind a column of other units, or on GravWell'd targets where they will just carpet bomb them all as they pass through the group.

Do note that they can be shot down during their bombing run, if you weren't drawing enough aggro to let the enemies focus on you (or if you sent their flight path straight into an enemy's Ejected Warp Plasma).
  • Options
    baelogventurebaelogventure Member Posts: 1,002 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    They should have just had the 3 ships warp in, drop a Quantum TS3 on all available targets, and warp out.
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    They should have just had the 3 ships warp in, drop a Quantum TS3 on all available targets, and warp out.

TS1 for rank 1, TS2 for rank 2 and TS3 for rank 3.

Or if that would be too OP at rank three:
    1 ship with TS2 at rank 1, 2 with TS2 at rank 2, and 3 with TS2 at rank 3.
    Edit: I would probably settle for TS1, so that it isn't too OP when used on the sci command cruiser along with gravity well.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Yeah, it looks like they're wasting half their payload on my ship before reaching the target. This might just be visual though. Don't know if the DOT is actually watered down or not.

It *is* actually Working As Intended, sad as that is: it sends a series of explosions on the vector towards your enemy. I think the idea was that you approach a group of foes, fire off Call in Artillery Support at the first foe, and then fly either thru them, as it were, or strafe them, with the explosions in your trail. Kind of a difficult gameplay, really.

In practice I see ppl simply firing Call in Artillery Support at the target from a distance, without any enemy ships along the trajectory path, which renders the ability as good as useless to the one using it in this fashion.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Agreed or at least just warp in stay back no bombing run just a constant aoe bombardment of those missiles on the targets location like a grav well but more damage and not control.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Awesome responses thank you all. I agree it becomes a useless ability unless your flying directly over the target. Its such a shame as I love the idea around this power. Warping in with Quantum TS3 is also an excellent idea, it would take away the need to be in close proximity to the target.

All in all, a shame, I hope they can update it!

On another note, Concentrate Fire is a great ability teamed with High Yield 2.
  • Options
    baelogventurebaelogventure Member Posts: 1,002 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    In all reality, it's most effective against large targets (Tactical Cubes, Citadel Dreadnoughts, Unimatrixes, Planet Killers, Crystalline Entity) or against tightly packed enemies from close range...like, 2-4km close.

Still want Quantum TS3. :P
  • Options
    dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    It *is* actually Working As Intended, sad as that is: it sends a series of explosions on the vector towards your enemy. I think the idea was that you approach a group of foes, fire off Call in Artillery Support at the first foe, and then fly either thru them, as it were, or strafe them, with the explosions in your trail. Kind of a difficult gameplay, really.

In practice I see ppl simply firing Call in Artillery Support at the target from a distance, without any enemy ships along the trajectory path, which renders the ability as good as useless to the one using it in this fashion.
    That makes sense. I'll start adjusting my flying for that and see how it goes.
  • Options
    cypherouscypherous Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    That makes sense. I'll start adjusting my flying for that and see how it goes.

Its worth noting that the minimum distance required to call these in is 2km from the target, so bear that in mind when using it on targets
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The visuals of the ability are just terrible. It looks like those ships shoot themselves instead of the enemy.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Hi community,

I have been running Call in Artillery Support command power for quiet a few weeks. Something I have noticed and question, is when the bombers warp in, they tend to release the artillery around my ship, not my selected target.

Cryptic?

Thanks!

That ability is the very definition of "All flash and no substance" :D

Command abilities just suck.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,333 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Hi community,

Cryptic?

Thanks!

Should test that with Reverse Tractor Beam.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    So after all this feedback I removed Call in Artillery with great sadness, training in suppression barrage 3 which seems to an *okay* replacement.

I truly hope the bomber are looked at again by Borticus soon.

Can anyone recommend a better commander ability?
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Just tweeted Borticus and Al to see if they can revisit this! LEts see how we go!