test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Should We be Lounging on Risa in the Middle of a War?

Comments

• Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    What war, there hasn't been an Iconian War. So the Milky Way is at peace after taking down the Vaadwaur threat. The Iconians proved to be no threat.

So after intense ground and space battles with the Vaadwaur. Then easily pushed over the Iconians. I'm due for some R&R in the sun.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    kyhas1kyhas1 Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Watch as the Iconians notice all the captains from the alliance head to risa on a daily basis.

Doesn't take a genius to tell the iconians should attack and destroy the biggest threat they have whilst they are building sandcastles and using jetpacks. Alliance loses majority of its top ranking captains in one day and suddenly no one can attend the high risk missions. War = Lost.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2015
    I will be lounging on Risa in the Middle of a War. You, do not have to.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    cruzistcruzist Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The entire fate of the galaxy hangs in the balance, homeworlds are being invaded, star bases blown up, kahless struck down and we're supposed to go to Risa and Samba and build sand castles?

War is over if you want it.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The entire fate of the galaxy hangs in the balance, homeworlds are being invaded, star bases blown up, kahless struck down and we're supposed to go to Risa and Samba and build sand castles?

...Haven't seen much Star Trek have you? :P

http://en.memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Let_He_Who_Is_Without_Sin..._(episode)
    (Took place during the Klingon War.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited June 2015
    angrytarg wrote: »
    War is boring. Lie down in the sun, grab a drink and watch some tails - that's what life's about :D

Which tails? Caitians in bikinis or Ferasan in bikinis?
  • Options
    philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited June 2015
    skollulfr wrote: »
    it'l happen.
    and there'l be some shrill voiced cackling iconian laughing while shouting "dance, dance my pretties! dance to your deaths!!!

Cue David Bowie's "Let's Dance".
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Yes.. It helps no one if we're to stressed to think clearly... If it bothers you, your doctor ordered it.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Unless I play specific missions, none of that is happening in my world.

And thus I intend to hit Risa with great joy.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    kyhas1 wrote: »
    Watch as the Iconians notice all the captains from the alliance head to risa on a daily basis.

Doesn't take a genius to tell the iconians should attack and destroy the biggest threat they have whilst they are building sandcastles and using jetpacks. Alliance loses majority of its top ranking captains in one day and suddenly no one can attend the high risk missions. War = Lost.

I wish. I think Iconian attacks on Risa during the Event would be awesome. After all, it's not like wearing that swimwear means I'm not packing all my heavy combat gear too :)

But it won't happen.

But it would have been glorious.
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Should we be lounging on Risa with a war ongoing ?
    Sure, I slaughter the enemy at every turn. Am I worried ?
    Heck no.

On the other hand, should our enemies be taking vacation while at war with me and the other fine captains of the alliance ? No way.
    We already wipe the floor with them. They can little afford some shore leave.
    Their defeat is inevitable.
    For the Iconian armada, its a No Win scenario...all they can do now is hope the slaughter is quick and painless.

*lays down on a beach chair* "1 pinacolada please"
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    Technically speaking, not all characters are at a point in the story where the war is going on yet.

Yep. Hooray for MMOs and non-linear time. :P
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Yep. Hooray for MMOs and non-linear time. :P

Even a low level character can do the FEs and be involved.
  • Options
    carter60carter60 Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Which tails? Caitians in bikinis or Ferasan in bikinis?

why not both ? =)
  • Options
    voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Maybe Iconians wants a vacation too? :P

Devs should put Iconian NPC's on the beach.
    That is actually a good idea.
    In WW2, first Christmass, the Allied Forces and the TRIBBLE's laid down their weapons, and have a soccer match.
    Now, I do not say: let us play soccer with the Iconians, but we could add something... unexpected...
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Thoughts:

Fed Chars Ready room Doctor and ship's Counselor enter:
    "Captain(admiral) We have an urgent problem. Did you know a member of this crew has been pulling active duty for eighteen hours a day, skipping meals for the past fifteen months?"
    "What? Take that crewmember aside and see to it they get the rest they need. We can't afford mistakes in the field, you have my full authority."
    "Glad to hear it sir. We have booked your flight to Risa for the next few weeks for medically mandated shore leave."
    "What! But there is a war on!"
    "And there are other ships and commanders out there. But if you burn yourself out you won't be any use when you are needed most. They will call if you are needed specifically."
    "Alright already."
    "And leave the PADD of reports behind too."
    "Ah d*** it to h***." mutters. "Maybe I can con some ferengi into selling me one of their warships so I can get back faster."

Klingon Char approached while ship is being rearmed.
    "We have need of your services while your ship is being serviced. The ferengi have opened a market of black market weapons and the dealers are on Risa. We want you to go there and. . . mingle.. . Learn what you can. We may be allied with the Federation and the Romulans, but we do not want them gaining advantages we will not have access to."

Romulan Char on their bridge.
    Tovan gripes from his station. "Arggh. Risa has sent another restraining notice saying I have to stay away for the next eight weeks."
    Blinks. "Prepare my shuttle. I am going to Risa for the next few weeks."

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I don't understand. We are always at war with someone.

United Federation of Planets vs Klingon Empire
    Everyone vs Borg
    Everyone vs Voth
    Everyone vs Undine
    Everyone vs Vaadwaur
    Everyone vs Iconians

Not to mention skirmishes with the Mirror Universe, the True Way and the Tal'Shiar Remnants.

Better get your R&R where you can, for in the grim future, there is only war.
  • Options
    tancrediivtancrediiv Member Posts: 728 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Probably not.

But morale needs to be maintained and Risa is the perfect place to send wounded crew to recover before returning to full duty.

Player and forumite formerly known as FEELTHETHUNDER

Expatriot Might Characters in EXILE
  • Options
    tancrediivtancrediiv Member Posts: 728 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    feiqa wrote: »
    Thoughts:

Fed Chars Ready room Doctor and ship's Counselor enter:
    "Captain(admiral) We have an urgent problem. Did you know a member of this crew has been pulling active duty for eighteen hours a day, skipping meals for the past fifteen months?"
    "What? Take that crewmember aside and see to it they get the rest they need. We can't afford mistakes in the field, you have my full authority."
    "Glad to hear it sir. We have booked your flight to Risa for the next few weeks for medically mandated shore leave."
    "What! But there is a war on!"
    "And there are other ships and commanders out there. But if you burn yourself out you won't be any use when you are needed most. They will call if you are needed specifically."
    "Alright already."
    "Ah d*** it to h***." mutters. "Maybe I can con some ferengi into selling me one of their warships so I can get back faster."

Klingon Char approached while ship is being rearmed.
    "We have need of your services while your ship is being serviced. The ferengi have opened a market of black market weapons and the dealers are on Risa. We want you to go there and. . . mingle.. . Learn what you can. We may be allied with the Federation and the Romulans, but we do not want them gaining advantages we will not have access to."

Romulan Char on their bridge.
    Tovan gripes from his station. "Arggh. Risa has sent another restraining notice saying I have to stay away for the next eight weeks."
    Blinks. "Prepare my shuttle. I am going to Risa for the next few weeks."

I like this very very much.

Player and forumite formerly known as FEELTHETHUNDER

Expatriot Might Characters in EXILE
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Even a low level character can do the FEs and be involved.

Which makes it even less linear-time, since those low level characters would be jumping to a further point in their history, when they're considered a huge hero & driving force in the conflict! :D
  • Options
    lexxie1983lexxie1983 Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    war what war, i do not see it nor feel it, only in a few feat eps and my sig beneath my posts but thats it,

And besides there is such a thing as Shore leave!

on the other hand for the Iconians it is a perfect time to strike and whipe out a good portion of the vacationing alliance members and crews in one spot.

"Hey but what about the armada of ships in orbit of risa"
    yes they have to get through the armada of ships parked in orbit of Risa, that will be a breeze with skeleton crews on board.
    n8eym7c.jpg

click for bigger image
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Which makes it even less linear-time, since those low level characters would be jumping to a further point in their history, when they're considered a huge hero & driving force in the conflict! :D

They do that now. I ran my Delta Recruit through an FE as soon as it was allowed.

This game's timeline is too compressed and makes no since as it stands. Those Borg Red Alerts shouldn't appear for players until they reach that part of the story- but it does. And all the elements of the Federation/Klingon war should have disappeared for my main- but they haven't.

I feel no need to 'honor' something already so screwed up as to not matter in the least.
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    feiqa wrote: »

Roger that.

Later, on Risa, at the hotel replicators...

Make me a Mk XIV Alienware PADD with [Rep] [OvrClk] [DOff]X2 [Eval]

<beep beep beep beam in effect>

Now to use that backdoor into the ship's computer to process the paperwork while leisurely floating through this Risian Floater Course...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    lexxie1983 wrote: »
    on the other hand for the Iconians it is a perfect time to strike and whipe out a good portion of the vacationing alliance members and crews in one spot.

Risa is probably the little guy who hasn't done anything yet, and when they do do something you know it's going to be good.

A planet full of hippies in an interstellar sea of enemies, they've got something up their figurative sleeves. They've got ships that only need the slightest of nudges to be warships and the technology to stabilize the tectonics of their very unstable planet.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,318 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Weren't we also in the middle of a war for the last few years? And during the winter event?
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    darthwoodarthwoo Member Posts: 371 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I forgot, had the Dominion War started in earnest before the DS9 Risa episode? I know the First Battle of DS9 (Fed vs KDF) had taken place the season before, but can't remember when open fighting with the Dominion started. Of course, I suppose the Iconian War is a more existential threat, but you've still got to rotate some forces off the front line from time to time or they'll break. And just hope the Iconians don't think to just gate to Risa to ruin the vacationers' day.
  • Options
    nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    People are overlooking the most obvious issue here

The game started in 2409.
    It is now 2410.
    This is the third summer festival. We just had the fifth Christmas.