artan42 wrote: »
    By DS9. A rusty old station.

After the refit in 2372.

Still better than losing a war to the USAF in the 90's. :P
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2015
    yreodred wrote: »
    That's the problem i have tbh.
    Who says it was the only way to get rid of the Cardassians?
    Just because the protagonist claims "it was the only way" i don't have to belive that. Sure the Cardassians where disgustful brutal, planting bombs and killing innocents is the same.
    "An eye for an eye", usually results in a lot of blind people...

I didn't like it even before 9/11. But that's just me. I can imagine many viewers accepted her "heroism" (planing bombs and doing "dirty" things like that) as long as the protagonist says it was heroic long enough.

At the risk of moving this away from... er... Klingons or something :D.

I don't think the aim was to get rid of them, I doubt the Marquis thought they could get the TRIBBLE out, they were simply holding out for the the British or the Russians, whichever got there first. Bajor was hoping someone would help.

There are enough stories in DS9 for me to not think that's the case, I'm sure people could see it was the lesser of two evils, but that it was still an evil. The only thing that bothered me was how the Federation characters treated her, she had no reason to be apologetic, and I can see O'Brien and Odo and maybe Sisko and Jadzia seeing that, but you'd think the others would be more, i don't know, off? around her, especially at the start of the show when the Cardassians are still a potential threat.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • seanhazz1seanhazz1 Member Posts: 54
    edited June 2015
    I would say it would come down to the battlefield chosen, as Jem' Hadar are very good at guerrilla tactics.

The "shroud ability" is not as effective when the Jaffa has an invisibility device that is actually a dimension shift personal device. Winner Jaffa.

Like the Jem'Hadar, the Jaffa are physically and mentally enhanced, genetically, but also contain the continued genetic knowledge of the Goauld they host, similar to Trill. In hand to hand combat, it would probably go to the Jaffa IMO, as they have centuries of genetic accumulated battle awareness and skill (similar to NEO jacking fighting and gun skills straight into his brain in the Matrix), and because they tossed humans like rag dolls.

As far as technology, which "universe" has the higher tech? I'd give the nod to the stargate again, as they could have built the Dyson Spheres themselves with their understanding of the adpated "ancients" technology they use, and they also warp around the galaxy using controlled gates, able to appear anywhere at any time, which gives them access to Iconian type powers as well.

The Jaffa, as a slave race of genetically engineered warriors, would never be given access to the best Goauld weapons of destruction, as the Goauld constantly faced the threat of rebellion on the slave worlds they ruled.

With that said, would space combat even be a viable option for the Trek Verse? Can they even punch a hole before being incinerated ?

Finally.....

If the klingons, Jem' Hadar or Vulcans as I mentioned did make a dent in the Asgard slave army, they would be next on the Asgardian assimilated block. Speaking of assimiliation.....BORG +Jaffa/Symbiote =Nasty.

I actually think the Klingons, Jaffa, and Jem'Hadar would have all lost to Khan Noonien Singh and his 'family' or and enraged army of emo Vulcans.
  • grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    seanhazz1 wrote: »
    I would say it would come down to the battlefield chosen, as Jem' Hadar are very good at guerrilla tactics.

The "shroud ability" is not as effective when the Jaffa has an invisibility device that is actually a dimension shift personal device. Winner Jaffa.

Like the Jem'Hadar, the Jaffa are physically and mentally enhanced, genetically, but also contain the continued genetic knowledge of the Goauld they host, similar to Trill. In hand to hand combat, it would probably go to the Jaffa IMO, as they have centuries of genetic accumulated battle awareness and skill (similar to NEO jacking fighting and gun skills straight into his brain in the Matrix), and because they tossed humans like rag dolls.

As far as technology, which "universe" has the higher tech? I'd give the nod to the stargate again, as they could have built the Dyson Spheres themselves with their understanding of the adpated "ancients" technology they use, and they also warp around the galaxy using controlled gates, able to appear anywhere at any time, which gives them access to Iconian type powers as well.

The Jaffa, as a slave race of genetically engineered warriors, would never be given access to the best Goauld weapons of destruction, as the Goauld constantly faced the threat of rebellion on the slave worlds they ruled.

With that said, would space combat even be a viable option for the Trek Verse? Can they even punch a hole before being incinerated ?

Finally.....

If the klingons, Jem' Hadar or Vulcans as I mentioned did make a dent in the Asgard slave army, they would be next on the Asgardian assimilated block. Speaking of assimiliation.....BORG +Jaffa/Symbiote =Nasty.

I actually think the Klingons, Jaffa, and Jem'Hadar would have all lost to Khan Noonien Singh and his 'family' or and enraged army of emo Vulcans.

I don't think the Jaffa hold the genetic knowledge of the Goa'uld, they only serve as incubators for them until they can take a host. The Goa'uld are the ones with the knowledge. And what is this "Asguard slave army" you speak of?
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited June 2015
    We've been looking at the Jaffa en masse, and as such, I think a lot of their problem is their mindthink. They got cocky and therefore less diligent in refining themselves.

But narrow the view to certain Jaffa, and I'd put them up against Klingons. Teal'c certainly. Bra'tac absolutely (even more so if given a younger version). Even the rogue tribe of Jaffa that Col. Mitchell trained and dueled with. (which group ironically was headed by a character played by Tony Todd, aka "Kurn" on TNG/DS9). The difference, I think, is that they were not inclined to brag, but let actions speak for themselves.
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I don't think the Jaffa hold the genetic knowledge of the Goa'uld, they only serve as incubators for them until they can take a host. The Goa'uld are the ones with the knowledge. And what is this "Asguard slave army" you speak of?

I believe Teal'c once 'communicated' with his symbiote (or at least 'heard its thoughts') during his meditations, but that's nothing like what seanhazz1 is suggesting, which is more akin to a joined Trill. Even with an adult Goa'uld and host, the Goa'uld is the dominant personality, the host is sadly just along for the ride... So no, the Jaffa do not have access to 'centuries of accumulated battle awareness and skill', not by any stretch of the imagination...
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    It's not even like the Goa'uld are superior combatants in the first place, they're parasites used to playing god and being dictators.