test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO was the first gaming community I really became a part of

rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
edited June 2015 in Ten Forward
Post edited by Unknown User on
«1

Comments

  • timelords1701timelords1701 Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Meh, does not really phase me, it is after all the 21st century now or in STO's case the 25th century, people living in the past need to get over it and realise one day they may find their son or daughter or even grandchildren come home with a partner of the same sex, what will they do then, shun them because of past bigotry or embrace them for who they are and their happiness.. having 2 female klingons, merely noted as being partners is nothing to get worked up about, its just a simple fact of life these days and was nice to see included within the mission..
    change is inevitable and we can only move forward with the future of humanity rather than get stuck in the old ways forever.. ;)
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,126 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Your post seems to imply this issue is somehow unique to this specific community. If that is in fact what you think, then that is extremely naive. If that is not what you think, then your statement doesn't really make sense. But please, clarify.

    The-Grand-Nagus
    Join Date: Sep 2008

    og9Zoh0.jpg
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited June 2015

    You shouldn't do the mistake to think that everyone playing STO has the same backwards oriented mindset as those few ranting about TRIBBLE Klingons.
    They don't speak for me or most other people here.

    Btw,
    STO was the first gaming community I really became a part of
    mine too. :)
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

    A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    All that happened was that a couple people flew their bigot flag using the "oh but the children" trope as cover. They brought the overwhelmingly negative response upon themselves and they deserved it. Respecting someone's opinion doesn't mean you don't offer a retort, respect is not killing or damaging them. This culture of not talking about divisive issues is what breeds intolerance, allows hate to resonate in an individual's echo chamber, and further polarizes otherwise reasonable people.

    If anything, I am proud of this community, the Devs and notably Trendy, in regards to what happened over the weekend.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    There's a reason why my sig is what it is. I was absolutely disgusted at those threads. Thanks, STO forums, for reminding me why I continue my misanthropy.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 56,088 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015
    yreodred wrote: »
    mine too. :)

    And mine. Unless you count me haunting the filefront pics of the day areas a few years ago... no. STO is my first GAMING community.

    [soapbox]
    My answer to the people who get so bent out of shape over things like that... GET OVER IT! Welcome to the 21st Century people!
    [/soapbox]
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    And yet people didn't get their pannies in a wald about that alien drooling over the male stripper in Hassan's bar on Nimbus:rolleyes:. Get over it people.
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 56,088 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015
    And yet people didn't get their pannies in a wald about that alien drooling over the male stripper in Hassan's bar on Nimbus:rolleyes:. Get over it people.

    Probably because it wasn't obvious. :rolleyes:
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Probably because it wasn't obvious. :rolleyes:

    Sitting close enough to look right into dat TRIBBLE isn't obvious? :D
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 56,088 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015
    For some people... nope. They gotta be slapped in the face with a sign to notice. :D
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    rattler2 wrote: »
    For some people... nope. They gotta be slapped in the face with a sign to notice. :D

    Wanting people to listen, you can't just tap them on the shoulder anymore. You have to hit them with a sledgehammer, and then you'll notice you've got their strict attention.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Inb4 #gaymetrics
  • raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'm on a bit of a break from STO right now and working on other games of mine. Most of this need for a break is burnout from the Delta Recruit Event. Some though is from the community and namely flame wars becoming a bit too common place on the forums AND in Zone chat in game.

    I can see the times we agree but much of the time...we seem to be at odds with each other. I would like to think we can both rise above this and master our more base thoughts and reflexes. Think and realize that there is always more than one's point of view and choose the middle road when possible...the middle road is the way to truth as it lays between the high and low roads.
    "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
    Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 56,088 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015
    Simple solution to Zone Chat is... don't even have it on. :D
    Inb4 #gaymetrics

    hehe lova ya Trendy! Best CM ever. Get in on our antics like this. :D
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Simple solution to Zone Chat is... don't even have it on. :D



    hehe lova ya Trendy! Best CM ever. Get in on our antics like this. :D

    Seriously, it's the most difficult to track for analytics. How TRIBBLE is this mission? Oooo, he's wearing double-denim. Tsk-tsk.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Seriously, it's the most difficult to track for analytics. How TRIBBLE is this mission? Oooo, he's wearing double-denim. Tsk-tsk.

    The USS Broadway is operating at a rate of 1.3 Tetraliberaces, cap'n.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 9,868 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    iconians wrote: »
    The USS Broadway is operating at a rate of 1.3 Tetraliberaces, cap'n.
    I wonder if I could get Captain Fabulous to come over from CO and create the USS Broadway...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,825 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    oh such a generalized news article, surely the writers could of named and shamed a few examples for the article and exploded it somewhat just for the entertainment value these media outlets are known to do. a part of me is thinking "too bad" but another part is thinking "meh" and the latter part is winning out.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Oh, so two Asari kissing and melding minds is okay, but a Klingon TRIBBLE couple enjoying a night out of bloodshed and violence is "perverse and wrong"?

    Mhmm.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

    -Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2015
    The discussion in the 'TRIBBLE Klingons' thread wasn't so bad, it started off as weather Klingons would accept such a relationship, then a debate about how obvious the inclusion was in the episode. The it devolved into a weird rant about conservatism and religion and went downhill. I didn't see many people that were openly against TRIBBLE people per say, just if it was appropriate for Klingons.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

    #TASforSTO


    '...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • ssargonssargon Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The thing that pisses me off about the whole thing is that B'Eler has been on Ganalda, with some dialogue saying she's TRIBBLE, and you even speak to her for a mission, for YEARS and nobody cared. Now she and her mate show up in Fed content and everyone explodes? Nobody even notices anything KDF-side, nobody bloody cares unless their precious Fed horde can see it...
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,825 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Oh, so two Asari kissing and melding minds is okay, but a Klingon TRIBBLE couple enjoying a night out of bloodshed and violence is "perverse and wrong"?

    Mhmm.

    the Asari is assumed to be female, but they have both bits needed, not asexual but rather require a member of another species primarily, its possible for two Asari to have a child (Liara as primary example of a "purebreed") but not much more details then that is known, it is not known for certain if they are truely female at all and you will need to find some proof to back it up. as for the comparison to females of klingons, i cant make that comparison because i dont know if the asari are actually female.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 9,868 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    artan42 wrote: »
    The discussion in the 'TRIBBLE Klingons' thread wasn't so bad, it started off as weather Klingons would accept such a relationship, then a debate about how obvious the inclusion was in the episode. The it devolved into a weird rant about conservatism and religion and went downhill. I didn't see many people that were openly against TRIBBLE people per say, just if it was appropriate for Klingons.
    Should've read more. Or read the other thread that cropped up yesterday, discussing the old thread. Claims that having to even talk to B'Elen after seeing her mate constituted "being forced to accept" their "lifestyle", and "shoving [same-sex relations] down our throats".

    I mean, it was a throwaway detail at the very beginning of the mission, a nice little character moment like good storytelling is supposed to have, and people were losing their minds over it.

    On the other hand, the Massively article on it betrayed a lack of knowledge of the STO forums. They called that a "flame war"? :rolleyes: Get into a conversation about the value of the rainbow cruiser, or which is the best escort, or even why the Klingons don't have a dedicated science ship. Those get into flame wars.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    ssargon wrote: »
    The thing that pisses me off about the whole thing is that B'Eler has been on Ganalda, with some dialogue saying she's TRIBBLE, and you even speak to her for a mission, for YEARS and nobody cared. Now she and her mate show up in Fed content and everyone explodes? Nobody even notices anything KDF-side, nobody bloody cares unless their precious Fed horde can see it...

    Probably because it only shows up if you click on a specific dialogue choice I believe. I certainly did not know it existed till this incident occurred.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    Should've read more. Or read the other thread that cropped up yesterday, discussing the old thread. Claims that having to even talk to B'Elen after seeing her mate constituted "being forced to accept" their "lifestyle", and "shoving [same-sex relations] down our throats".

    I mean, it was a throwaway detail at the very beginning of the mission, a nice little character moment like good storytelling is supposed to have, and people were losing their minds over it.

    On the other hand, the Massively article on it betrayed a lack of knowledge of the STO forums. They called that a "flame war"? :rolleyes: Get into a conversation about the value of the rainbow cruiser, or which is the best escort, or even why the Klingons don't have a dedicated science ship. Those get into flame wars.

    Ooh I never saw that :rolleyes:.

    That was my point, it was development, firstly for two of the characters in the mission, secondly for Housh Pegh as to their members, and thirdly to Klingons as a whole as an expansion of their culture.

    How about a thread on how Cryptic hated the Galaxy Class for a flame war?


    Edit: Oh and I think the mods (Trendy and Askray, I think) showed a lot of restraint, as the threads are still going, it would have driven me mad to have had to go through each one.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

    #TASforSTO


    '...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,126 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    artan42 wrote: »
    Edit: Oh and I think the mods (Trendy and Askray, I think) showed a lot of restraint, as the threads are still going, it would have driven me mad to have had to go through each one.

    Actually, I believe this is the last thread on this topic that is still open; the others have all been closed.

    On a different note, I've seen a lot of people use the term "bigot" over the last few days, but it seems that many do not understand it applies equally to *some* people on *both* sides of the issue:
    a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions.

    - Google

    So yes, being intolerant of people because of their sexuality is bigotry, but so is being intolerant of people because of their opinions. It's something to keep in mind when discussing any issue.

    The-Grand-Nagus
    Join Date: Sep 2008

    og9Zoh0.jpg
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Another point for consideration: shouldn't how one treats people that one has a disagreement with count for something, if not more, in many cases, than merely having a dissenting opinion? This IMO applies to almost ALL debates on almost all subjects short of (hypothetically) someone inciting violence or criminal activity.

    There is a big difference between disagreeing with someone civilly, even on a hot-button issue, and attacking someone with slurs, ad hominems, or engaging in harassment because you disagree with them. If someone does the former, that's fine. I can see a POV I disagree with, I can hope that person might change their mind and I might suggest reasons why a change in position makes sense, but if someone doesn't agree, I won't brand them as horrible people because they said, without personal attacks, that they continue to disagree. That's free will. If I want mine respected, then I have to respect theirs. Simple as that. (Yet the simplest things are the hardest for people to actually master...)

    Civil society needs the ability to engage in debates without tearing each other to pieces; when it cannot manage that, it becomes dysfunctional. We all know what that looks like, whether it's that person that ruins family reunions, or something we saw in public. When people do the latter and think they're going to win by force, intimidation, or crassness, that's where I have a problem, and I don't care who is engaging in said behavior--I despise it as an encroachment upon personal freedoms.

    As soon as I see personal attacks come out--anything but strict logical focus on the premises and conclusions up for discussion--then I stop paying attention, and I don't even care how good the logical arguments that person might be making are, once you strip away all of the flaming BS it's buried in. That person becomes persona non grata in my inbox, on grounds of behavior towards others, rather than the substance of their position. But another person who can express the same dissenting opinion civilly and without bully tactics, I will continue to read and take seriously.

    It doesn't exactly do any good for whatever position one holds to act that way. If people start assuming that conduct is always what that position is, and just tune out, and never listen to anything but what agrees with them, then that is ultimately a loss.

    Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I can't beleive that this became an 'issue' at all.

    Like many, that portion of the FE barely even registered because, well - why would/should it? Those characters are in relationship. One does NOT need to think about it beyond that.

    Having finally played the episode last night, I came away with the personal opinion that the writing blew major chunks. It was clumsy in that area (Trevana was frankly unbalanced in a very poorly written way and liable to pull a "Worf in Change of Heart"), but unfortunately ALL of the episode's logic and characterization was clumsy (don't start me on the actual decision-making of certain characters). I concluded that the poor writing probably exacerbated the situation and contributed to the severity of the reactions.

    Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
Sign In or Register to comment.