test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is THAT the Klingon idea of "STEALTH"???

floppytechiefloppytechie Member Posts: 136 Arc User
Just played House Pegh.........is that supposed to be stealth?:confused:

Let's check precedent:

Dragon's deceit : Not randomly killing redshirts in open corridors,use surroundings to advantage,disabling guards to make it look like malfunction
Stealth :Check

Empress Sela: Using a romulan undercover operative to sneak in weapons cache,no flashy boom boom
Stealth :Check

Revolution:Using inside man to get in,steal vaadwaur suits to blend in,switch codes with another ship to cover your own escape
Stealth: Check

House Pegh:Slipping through defenses.........and then start killing heralds in open corridors and the Kahless the dumbass going after the ultimate big bad,with a pointy stick,in PLAIN VIEW OF THE ENTIRE HERALD ARMY,compromising the mission!!

STEALTH:NOT CHECK!!!!

I mean seriously, the Klingons head ONE mission and they end up getting their Jesus killed?!And why oh WHY did we stop blasting that iconian(not the forum one) with omega power when we could have clearly finished it??:confused::mad:

This mission holds the Idiot ball harder than Divide et Impera :rolleyes:
Proud owner of every ship with hangers ingame
Flagship - N.C.C.-99635-A U.S.S. Asterion

I support playable Typhoon class!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by floppytechie on

Comments

• Options
    hojain2020hojain2020 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    rightly said!! OP
    STO NPC AI LEVEL--->
    bollywood15_zpskyztknwo.gif
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I always reckon that the Klingon version of 'Stealth' is killing the enemy as soon as they've been spotted. :D
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    valenn1valenn1 Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hey, they have at least tried :p
    ...*shrug* now they have a martyr, i expect the number of new klingon recruits to skyrocket.
    Beta, LTA, CE, Multiple preorder Versions, all Addon Packs except AoY, nearly all KDF/Rom and ~50% of all Fedships, over 25 LockboxShips, Endurer of Atari's "Year of Hell", but...
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
  • Options
    imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I always reckon that the Klingon version of 'Stealth' is killing the enemy as soon as they've been spotted. :D

That's kinda how I looked at it too... Can't raise the alarm if they're dead...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • Options
    jtoney3448jtoney3448 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    yep that mission was pretty awfully written. I suspect the devs spent so much time building up the iconians that they dont know how they are supposed to defeat them in 5 episodes. Honestly the iconian arc should be like 10 episodes min.

Why would they make a omega facility to power their gates when the spheres already do it. Plot hole number 1. Why would the head of the klingons personally go on a mission with such a low chance of survival? Plot hole 2. The Klingons aren't adverse to stealth tactics they use cloaking tech to ambush and launch raid missions like in DS9, they could have nuked the facility from orbit or just beamed in a bunch of explosives. Plot hole 3.

They want to kill the iconian as a symbol, k, throw a bomb at the generator and beam out and blow it up, why rush into a room full of enemies with no tactical terrain advantage just to get murdered. Remember the motto of house peg was one well aimed blade > an army. So they arent about facing their enemy face to face for honor but about getting the job done, which they failed at massively. Plot hole 4.

The all powerful all important sword worth more than any klingons life is just left behind on the ground abandoned to save their own lives. Worf would have a fit. Plot hole 5.

I could keep going but its sorta obvious whoever wrote this episode wasn't thinking.
  • Options
    pigeonofclaypigeonofclay Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The Klingons couldn't figure out a way to drive a cloaked bird of prey down the corridor. :D
  • Options
    marcel314marcel314 Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I guess klingons do it like that
    http://i.imgur.com/Ix50joi.png
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    One thing I never understood in Star Trek is why Klingons cloak to begin with.

They're supposed to be honorable warriors, but how do they prefer to fight? They hide. They cower in shadow and then strike from the darkness.. it just always seemed more Romulan to me.

I like the idea of Klingons just running in and attacking, it was just silly that it was sold as a 'stealth mission' to begin with.

I have to admit, the plan was a little weird. 'Lets sneak in quietly and once we land we'll attack everything in sight.' Really didn't make much sense.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    lordinsanelordinsane Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited May 2015

They're supposed to be honorable warriors, but how do they prefer to fight? They hide. They cower in shadow and then strike from the darkness.. it just always seemed more Romulan to me.
    Out-universe, due to a combination of writing drift (in the Search for Spock - it seems more Romulan because it was Romulan, originally) and the Klingons getting the cloak before the honourable warrior thing was really introduced. In-universe I suppose one can argue they got the cloak and shadow tactics during a low point for Klingon 'honour', and then it stuck around due to tradition?
  • Options
    floppytechiefloppytechie Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    patrickngo wrote: »
    *snip*

according to Cryptic.

You sound angry.....ah,I know :)

*pulls out bird of prey plushie*

Show me on this toy where the Starfleet Cruiser touched you :D:cool:
    Proud owner of every ship with hangers ingame
    Flagship - N.C.C.-99635-A U.S.S. Asterion

I support playable Typhoon class!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    qunlar2020qunlar2020 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    You sound angry.....ah,I know :)

*pulls out bird of prey plushie*

Show me on this toy where the Starfleet Cruiser touched you :D:cool:

Don't get me wrong, as a die hard Klingon fan your words hurt. That being said well played on BoP plushie. Best yet from a Feddy Bear. Well done.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I was Klingon before Klingon was cool.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    lordinsane wrote: »
    Out-universe, due to a combination of writing drift (in the Search for Spock - it seems more Romulan because it was Romulan, originally) and the Klingons getting the cloak before the honourable warrior thing was really introduced. In-universe I suppose one can argue they got the cloak and shadow tactics during a low point for Klingon 'honour', and then it stuck around due to tradition?

I guess that's the explanation that will have to do. :D

Ever since the first time I ever saw a Klingon ship cloak I thought.. that doesn't make sense. I always thought it would have made more sense to make the Klingon Ships outright superior in single combat to the Federation Star Ships but give the Federation cloak to even the field.

Instead, the show did it exactly backward. They gave the Klingons who have had space travel far longer, weaker vessels and had them hide to compensate. Very strange writing indeed.
  • Options
    alexhurlbutalexhurlbut Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I guess that's the explanation that will have to do. :D

Ever since the first time I ever saw a Klingon ship cloak I thought.. that doesn't make sense. I always thought it would have made more sense to make the Klingon Ships outright superior in single combat to the Federation Star Ships but give the Federation cloak to even the field.

Instead, the show did it exactly backward. They gave the Klingons who have had space travel far longer, weaker vessels and had them hide to compensate. Very strange writing indeed.
    Weaker in what way? They always have been depicted as outright warships if not heavily armed and armored ships.
  • Options
    narthaisnarthais Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited May 2015

TOS and even TMP era Klingons were based on the Mongolian Empire under Genghis Khan, the honour stick didn't come in until the Next Gen writers decided to make Worf a space samurai with anger issues.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Yep. I don't understand how so few people seem to realize how horribly bad so much of the writing in TNG and later really was.
    There were what? About a half-dozen Klingon appearances in TOS as opposed to a couple of hundred on TNG thanks to Worf. It is not like TOS was really trying to tell us anything about Klingon culture in most of their appearances. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Yep. I don't understand how so few people seem to realize how horribly bad so much of the writing in TNG and later really was.

Agreed 100%.

TNG is probably the most over rated Sci-Fi series of all time. It had some good episodes, but for every good episode there were 25 episodes of filler and TRIBBLE. :D
  • Options
    timpantstimpants Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    narthais wrote: »
    TOS and even TMP era Klingons were based on the Mongolian Empire under Genghis Khan, the honour stick didn't come in until the Next Gen writers decided to make Worf a space samurai with anger issues.

And Worf isn't a typical Klingon, most of what he knows about Klingon honour and culture he has simply read about. The other Kilingons we meet aren't really that honourable anyway, they just like to talk about it.
  • Options
    ayradyssayradyss Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited May 2015

This. As someone who started out growing up watching TOS reruns, I totally understand the 'crude, barbaric, not-so-intellectual' angle on Klingons. That's really the way they started out. It wasn't until Worf started playing a bigger part in TNG that suddenly they got retconned and the whole 'warriors out for honor' culture came to be.

That said, yes, it's also true that the later seasons of TNG had a lot more Klingon content than TOS did, and thus could be considered the more definitive version of them. (Obviously that's what a lot of folks on these forums feel!) But there's certainly precedent out there for the sort of Klingons we tend to see depicted in Cryptic's game.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    vireosvireos Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    More of a deep strike then a stealthy operation. I think Kahless went down there with death in mind - and he did alright for himself by my standards. The idiots I can't understand though, are the ones who watched him get slaughtered from up stairs.

- looking at you sunshine -

The mission to destroy the reactors was a failure. Why we never blew the 2 (of 3) omega generators we had rigged is beyond me. Why our character wasn't working on rigging the third generator while Kahless was fighting is also beyond my comprehension.

Heck, with 2 of the 3 omega generators stabilized, the odds of the third one causing a chain reaction would probably be under 4 percent. Why didn't we blow up the last generator from orbit?

The dissapointing "stealth" aspect for me was the utter inability of the Klingons to adapt to the changing circumstances.

We needed Romulans for that one -.-
  • Options
    alopenalopen Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Just to add, and I can't remember which DS9 episode it was in but when asked about Klingon tactics and honor in war, Worf answered in war there is only honor in winning. Besides, if using Samurai honor, bear in mind trickeration, deceit and betrayal abounded in the Sengoku Jidai (look up the death of Oda Nobunaga) and its not like the Japanese and their code of Bushido refrained from surprise attacks in the modern era ;)
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    It's like the Ninja-class tank in Ogre. If there's nothing left alive to report your passage, that's the same thing as being invisible, right?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I much prefer J.M.Fords Klingons from the Final Reflection. They were very believable. And they were just an extension off of TOS. The whole smooth forehead/lobster on the head thing was chopped up to Genetic fusions. WIth the ridged dudes being imperial line. Made the empire feel large and much more pologot then its been depicted since.

What we see in the Axanar film when it comes out I suspect may be a much better look at Klingons into the TOS era. Looking forward to it.

But yea.... not one of the better KDF type missions.. The Glory Ride for Khaless is all well and good, but yea the moment my character doesn't swing into instant violence against an obviously insubordinate junior officer that iss having an issues keeping her mission face on, to the not so stealthy assault.

This is not one of the better KDF POV missions at all. It could have far more involving of the players character, besides a what felt like a very abbreviated into... Not sure what they were trying to invoke in the player, but even the feds should be disappointed after the virtuoso performance of a KDF NPC in the Doomsday device mission.
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    They would not oppose the Federation because...well, the Federation needs a bad guy. They would oppose them because they see them either as weak fumblers poking into things they don't understand or as another potential that could rob them of their cultural identity.
    In fairness, that's pretty much how it's handled in STO. B'vat pushed for war because he thought the Empire needed an external enemy at all times to maintain their culture, and Jm'pok eventually went along with it (and seems to want to revive it from time to time) because of the way the Federation handled the Undine reveal.

With only a little nuance, though, the society could be fleshed out quite a lot without sacrificing anything of the "warrior culture" thing. Doctors could see themselves as battling disease, research scientists as slaying ignorance, even farmers could say they do honorable combat with both parasites and starvation. Almost everything that a civilization needs done could be thought of as a form of war.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    And what conflated matters....
    No, what conflates matter is that Trek is 5 decades of scrambled continuity written by dozens of different people working on different series - many of which had little to no Trek knowledge or any understanding of what other authors were doing on other series being produced at the exact same time.

We try to make sense of things by filling in blanks with our imaginations, or even our aspirations about what we wish there were, but the reality is that much of it is a hodge-podge of ideas that conflicts at different places.

What Klingons were in TOS is not exactly what they were in The Search for Spock, which is not exactly what they were in TNG, and that extends into DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise - and, of course JJ. And 10 years from now when CBS gets around to making another Trek series they will probably be changed again.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.